• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with the most impressive draw distance

panda man

Neo Member
I remember at the launch of the PS2 being impressed with the draw distance in Smugglers Run. Coming from the PS1 era it was pretty impressive to be able to see places far in the distance that you could drive to.

playstation-39858-21322238768.jpg

https://youtu.be/vPQ70sVAyGc?t=3m55s

Yes! This is the game I was the most hyped for when the PS2 launched, I had never seen such a long draw distance and the size of the levels was totally mind blowing for me in 2000.

zenspider

Xenoblade Chronicle X impressed me the most with draw distance for environments, no noticeable texture pop or tesselation (?), but it suffers the same problem as BotW where items and NPCs are on some other shit and pop in whenever wherever.

Those ARMA 3 pics are blowing my mind.

eso76

That's impressive draw distance? It's all blurry and shit.

When Uncharted 2 was shown, that hotel roof scene had crazy details even at distance.

I don't think non-open world games qualify.
There's all sorts of tricks they can use to model stuff in the distance you can't walk to

laxu

A lot of games can fake long draw distance with 2D sprites in the distance and mountain ranges with some nice fog on them. Real draw distance is where you can see things like 3D trees, grass and NPCs. Witcher 3 is pretty good at this, especially with modded draw distance.

oneils

Incredible game for its time, I still remember sniper duels from miles and miles out. My first online game ever!

That game really surprised me. I bought it out of a bargain bin and was glad I got it. Really impressive multiplayer for it's time.

I wonder what those devs are up to now.

fahr

This is not necessarily true, look at the thread, there is a game from 1999. Draw distances for any given hardware are not created equal, it has much to do with the artwork and how the dev's can optimized LOD out of a given specification. Witcher 3 on it's lowest settings still looks decent and draws rather far. Just look how many people mention BotW and Xenoblade for the Wii in the thread, those were both great optimization challenges for the Developers, challenges that they managed to overcome with clever art and well optimized game code.

Hardware power is never a substitute for great software optimization. Look at what Guerrilla Games did with Horizon Zero Dawn. That's using the minuscule 1.8TFLOP GPU in the PS4. (a metric we tend to over use in the gaming world, as like I said, visuals stem more from software optimization and clever artist than it does from floating point processing). On PC there is often not that dramatic of a difference between the medium settings and the Ultra settings for a given game, especially considering the resource usage delta between those settings on many games.

Take a gander at the Horizon Zero Dawn screenshot thread and you can see what kind of visual fidelity a clever dev can pull off with an efficient art team and well optimized game code. Look at the HZD pics in this thread. Look at the picture of Oblivion above this post, that game can run on a potato.

This is actually how I feel about the subject. I suppose my post was in response to many of the posts that slammed people's preference due to things like poor IQ or aggressive LOD. Agressive LOD is an optimisation that allows for large draw distance on lower spec hardware. Thus, a game can't possibly have impressive draw distance if the hardware isn't a high spec pc.

Actually glad to see many people in this thread who share the same opinion as the post above. Forgive my grumpiness. Spec whores annoy me. :)

fahr

I don't think non-open world games qualify.
There's all sorts of tricks they can use to model stuff in the distance you can't walk to

Was gonna say this. If uncharted 2 qualifies, then let me say zelda ocarina of Time on the n64. You could see death mountain from the first time you entered Hyrule field. It was total smoke and mirrors, but it made the world feel "open". It took many hours of gameplay to reach that location.

Top Bottom