• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop: Nintendo Switch Selling out in hours not days (Mario Kart Launch info)

Show us a Pokemon game.. Legit one.

Show us a Smash brothers port like Mario kart 8 with added stuff ( Deep single player mode)

Animal crossing

the potential to make the system continue to sell is there. I look forward to Stardew valley being portable!

Takat

I think this is also the two controller already coming in the box.
I just had a blast with brining it over to friends, so easy and fun to engage in old school Mario Kart (though they kept saying this is Mario Kart for adults).

It's a genius system that makes a lot of sense, and has a clear view.

I just think that with Vita trying to achieve the "home console experience on the go" it did well but fell just short. It had many great high quality games but they all felt like lesser counterparts to their PS3/PS4 brethren. Uncharted Golden Abyss, AC Liberations, CoD Declassified all felt like they were stuck in weird limbo of being between being a handheld game and a home console game and were never fully realized. When compared to their home console counterparts that came out at the same time i.e UC3, AC3, and Black Ops 2 they all just felt sort of half assed. I think this whole "people dont want home console games on their handhelds" narrative simply came about because the experiences available at the time weren't giving an actual home console experience like the Switch is giving now.

With Nintendo's past consoles/handhelds the game's really were more clearly defined as being handheld or home console. Handheld games were always much more bite sized and easier to pick up and play type games. It wasn't till near the end of the 3DS and WiiU's lifespan where they started to consolidate that and tested the waters of more expansive games on their handheld which was probably due their new strategy with the Switch being in development.

I think that what the Switch does well in this regard is that its not competing against itself or its brothers/sister consoles. Its not trying to take the home console experience and cram it into a handheld but consolidate the handheld and home console experience into one singular unit. The Vita's solution for home console on the go was to make games and experiences that were similar to what you get on the PS3/4 but cram it into a handheld. You try to fit as much as you can get in there but you had to trim alot of the fat to get to that point. The end result was you not getting the same games as the PS3/4. With the switch there's not fat trimming, or atleast not as much. You get the same game through and through.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think this is also the two controller already coming in the box.
I just had a blast with brining it over to friends, so easy and fun to engage in old school Mario Kart (though they kept saying this is Mario Kart for adults).

It's a genius system that makes a lot of sense, and has a clear view.

Trying MK8DX yesterday with a friend, single console and all... and then some Wonderboy... and some Zelda... it is a very well designed and purposed system. True console gaming on the go and makes loca multiplayer trivial to setup.

Only really botched thing is the single lateral kickstand... a wider u shaped kickstand would have been a thousand times better than the single one provided, very very easy to get the system to fall when the surface vibrates ever so slightly...

Hasney

Only really botched thing is the single lateral kickstand... a wider u shaped kickstand would have been a thousand times better than the single one provided, very very easy to get the system to fall when the surface vibrates ever so slightly...

Yeah, the Hori official stand is fantastic for making up for the kickstands shortcomings, but a better solution in the box would have been appreciated.

JonnyKong

The kickstand really irritates me if I'm honest. Whenever I'm playing in handheld mode, it occasionally hangs loose, or I'm always accidentally knocking it out because my hand is normally is positioned down there where it is.

I may have to get a small piece of tape to keep it permanently strapped down.

Not too hard when the local gamestop gets like 3-5 consoles for a trade-in promotion ...

Sorry, but I am still salty about nintendo products stock situation. I am sure they artificially limit their stock to generate hype and a sense of "high demand". Too many bad examples in the recent past (special editions for games, Amiibos, NES Mini).

flozuki

Yeah, the Hori official stand is fantastic for making up for the kickstands shortcomings, but a better solution in the box would have been appreciated.

Or the official Nintendo case, that offers far more stability and I guess almost everyone will buy a case for protection at some point. Can't believe there are cases that don't have this option.

DR2K

Banned
Not too hard when the local gamestop gets like 3-5 consoles for a trade-in promotion ...

Sorry, but I am still salty about nintendo products stock situation. I am sure they artificially limit their stock to generate hype and a sense of "high demand". Too many bad examples in the recent past (special editions for games, Amiibos, NES Mini).

I don't think they're malicious as they are incompetent.

Well after they overshipped on WiiU Consoles that ended up sitting on shelves for years I don't fault them for being more conservative on Switch numbers. But now that they've seen the demand they've immediately increased production so its doesn't seem like they're purposely restricting stock. I remember reading something about the reason that there's not actual demo units for the Switch at this moment is because rather than produce thousands of units to put on display they'd rather use those resources to produce thousands of units that can be sold to consumers.

But the NES Mini situation is still complete bull I'll agree with you on that for sure.

Cerium

They've shipped more units for launch than they ever have before. It's simply sold faster at launch than any system they've ever released. Those are the facts.

I don't think they're malicious as they are incompetent.
Whatever it is, it's frustrating. But the demand for Tokyo Mirrage Sessions Day 1 Edition or Fire Emblem Special Edition can't be THAT high that you have no chance to get one. Meanwhile there is a gigantic overstock on Animal Crossing Amiibo Party. They sell those for 15€ since forever now.

How can shipping 2.74 million units for a launch in March be an attempt to "create artificial demand?"

Do any of the people making these claims are actually aware of that number and what it means?

ggx2ac

They planned to ship only 2 million Switch units for March but the end result went up to 2.74 million because they saw the demand.

Whatever it is, it's frustrating. But the demand for Tokyo Mirrage Sessions Day 1 Edition or Fire Emblem Special Edition can't be THAT high that you have no chance to get one. Meanwhile there is a gigantic overstock on Animal Crossing Amiibo Party. They sell those for 15€ since forever now.

Fire Emblem Special Edition is meant to be limited on purpose, that's what it was.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions is a game you're supposed to preorder on a dead system because stores wouldn't be ordering something they can't get rid of except to fulfill preorders.

Compare that to Pokémon Sun and Moon, Nintendo shipped 10 million copies worldwide at launch because retailers ordered that much since they know it would sell. I don't think NA shipped even more than 50k units of Tokyo Mirage Sessions because retailers don't want to be left with stock from Nintendo they can't sell since they don't get retailer protections from Nintendo.

There was an overstock of Animal Crossing Amiibo because retailers screwed up predicting demand of the Smash Bros Amiibo when that was scare due to low supply. Retailers thought Animal Crossing Amiibo would do just as well and ordered a lot that ended up going on clearance instead because there isn't demand for them like Smash Bros.

Nintendo aren't the only ones that are responsible for what gets shipped. Retailers order what they think will sell and Nintendo always have meetings with people in retail to sell them on their products.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions is a game you're supposed to preorder on a dead system because stores wouldn't be ordering something they can't get rid of except to fulfill preorders.
The problem is, pre-ordering doesn't garantue you to get it. I preordered Fire Emblem Fates Special Edition twice and didn't get it, because "the demand was too high" ... Nintendo certainly has problems here. Ask all the people who want a NES Mini.

Sure, this is not a good comparison to the Switch situation. The Switch shortage looks more like the usual console-launch situation, were the demand exceeds the production capabilities.

But Nintendo surely sticks out with stock problems more than other publishers.

sphinx

the piano man
But Nintendo surely sticks out with stock problems more than other publishers.

Sony and MS never had a failure of the magnitude of the WiiU (on home consoles)

you seem to not understand the consequences of the massive failure that was the WiU. Of course nintendo is going to be conservative and sacred as fuck of overshipping.

business meetings at nintendo around 2014-2015 must have been the most depressing thing ever in the history of that company, it's clear why we are where we are right now,

"we produce what we believe will be sold"

"we'd rather have more demand than supply, even if we leave money on the table by doing so"

"we will continue to be conservative in light of obvious hype and excitement, we've been burned way too many times (smash amiibo = Hype -> AC amiibo = business destroyed)

Nintendo in 2017 is the result of its history.

people can deal with it or move on to other companies like Sony and MS

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Sony and MS never had a failure of the magnitude of the WiiU

you seem to not understand the consequences of the massive failure that was the WiU. Of course nintendo is going to be conservative and sacred as fuck of overshipping.

business meetings at nintendo around 2014-2015 must have been the most depressing thing ever in the history of that company, it's clear why we are where we are right now,

"we produce what we believe will be sold"

"we'd rather have more demand than supply, even if we leave money on the table by doing so"

"we will continue to be conservative in light of obvious hype and excitement, we've been burned way too many times (smash amiibo = Hype -> AC amiibo = business destroyed)

Nintendo in 2017 is the result of its history.

people can deal with it or move on to other companies like Sony and MS
What's a vita?

sphinx

the piano man
What's a vita?

I don't follow. what's Vita got to do with my post?

EDIT¨ooooh you mean the massive faiulre that was the Vita.

you are right, Sony bailed out of the business... they are not even being conservative like nintendo, they said "fuck it"

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It's because things like this happen:

patsjtl.png

Frodo

Mods, can we have a pinned thread about how incredibly stupid the concept of artificially limiting stock to create demand is?

Because people REALLY seem to don't want to get it.

Mods, can we have a pinned thread about how incredibly stupid the concept of artificially limiting stock to create demand is?

I agree, it's incredibly annoying to hear these people spout the same nonsense over and over.

There is a lot of demand, and it's increasing.

Frodo

If they announce a Pokemon for the Switch at E3 (releasing in 2017) the scarcity will probably continue throughout the year.

It would also probably be the best ever first year for a console, with Zelda, Mario, Splatoon, Mario Kart, Arms, and Xenoblade.

KtSlime

No way, I finally figured out what they meant. I see the logic of artificially limiting supply. Let me explain it to you:

1) Create an unwanted product
2) Advertise unwanted product
3) Ship a few of the unwanted product
4) Scalpers buy unwanted product
5) ???
6) Unwanted product sells at the same rate as a highly desirable product

ASIS

To be honest, plenty of older games that were on consoles made it over to handheld many times. But BotW is different. It's a current gen console game that is playing on a handheld hybrid. That's amazing.

Majoras mask was a N64 game on the 3DS in 2015? Forgot which year, its not even comparable to what the switch is offering.

Key word here that you are missing is WAS. Remakes cannot sell systems like a brand new polished game can. I also distinctly remember psp getting inferior versions of popular ps2 games like Persona 3, or Naruto ultimate ninjas or Prince of Persia.

To put what you said in context with the switch they would've had to had a handheld that can run majoras mask at the time of the original release, which we both know is completely impossible with 1997/8 tech.

And they were. Name a console franchise that made it to PSP. Now tell me whether or not that | bespoke handheld version | ranks against its current-gen equivalents.

Majora's Mask was a remaster of an N64 game.

No, it's not. In previous gens, handhelds weren't just limited by their tech, but by their control schemes and the innate personal nature of handhelds as well. It was more difficult to just translate a console game's design over to a handheld when you lacked things like analog sticks, several buttons, the ability for more than one person to play or sign in, etc. whereas Switch by design is more enabling toward that end. It's got the full suite of controls, hardware that lacks power but shares key commonalities with other platforms, and literally functions as a contemporary console out of the box.

A port of an old game versus a first party high budget effort. Yeah, there is a conspiracy against Sony's handheld efforts. Or maybe people just didn't like what they were offering. Same way people didn't like the Wii U.

It seems my point didn't go through.

Maybe you guys don't remember the days when the PSP launched, but a lot of people were against the idea of home console games in handheld mode. Not by quality, but by design. Handheld games are supposed to have several distinct features built into them such as:

1) instant save
2) able to play smaller chuncks and still make noticeable progress.
3) instant loading.
4) highly replayble

Etc.

To many people, they attributed the success of the DS software because it followed these design philosophies while the PSP (and, by extension, the Vita) chose to bypass them and create whatever they felt like.

That's the premise I was talking about, the idea that handheld titles must be suitable for on the go gaming or it will not be desirable. The Switch and even the 3DS proves such a premise is pure fanboy dribble, and Sony was on to something but admittedly faltered in its execution.

Nanashrew

Banned
Nearly all of Nintendo's first party titles on 3DS are made to be able to be played in bite size chunks and save anywhere. Majora's Mask save function was also altered and allows for quick save. Even the design decisions in Luigi's Mansion 2, a sequel to a home console game was done in a way that works best for handhelds.

If anything, Nintendo started bringing that philosophy over to many home console titles and the ability to save any time and play in bite sized sessions or however long you want.

ASIS

Nearly all of Nintendo's first party titles on 3DS are made to be able to be played in bite size chunks and save anywhere. Majora's Mask save function was also altered and allows for quick save. Even the design decisions in Luigi's Mansion 2, a sequel to a home console game was done in a way that works best for handhelds.

If anything, Nintendo started bringing that philosophy over to many home console titles and the ability to save any time and play in bite sized sessions or however long you want.

I totally forgot about the altered save function in MM 0_0

Yet BOTW shows that home console gaming on the go is, in fact, a desirable feature. Although to be honest the main attraction is the fact that it is both a home console experience and a handheld one at the same time.

Trying MK8DX yesterday with a friend, single console and all... and then some Wonderboy... and some Zelda... it is a very well designed and purposed system. True console gaming on the go and makes loca multiplayer trivial to setup.

I used my switch on the train for the first time yesterday, playing 2 player mario kart, the kuckstand worked perfectly on a shitty little train table

orioto

Good Art™

Maybe you guys don't remember the days when the PSP launched, but a lot of people were against the idea of home console games in handheld mode. Not by quality, but by design. Handheld games are supposed to have several distinct features built into them such as:

1) instant save
3) instant loading.
4) highly replayble

Etc.

To many people, they attributed the success of the DS software because it followed these design philosophies while the PSP (and, by extension, the Vita) chose to bypass them and create whatever they felt like.

That's the premise I was talking about, the idea that handheld titles must be suitable for on the go gaming or it will not be desirable. The Switch and even the 3DS proves such a premise is pure fanboy dribble, and Sony was on to something but admittedly faltered in its execution.

It's about little things that have to be done right and not the general type of game then.
Cause if BotW didn't have easy save, and super frequent automatic save, it would be a mess to play in portable mode. That's still true. It's not the size of the game, it's an ergonomic problem.

Also about MK8 i could buy it yesterday in france, at FNAC. There was many copies in stock.

Nanashrew

Banned
I totally forgot about the altered save function in MM 0_0

Yet BOTW shows that home console gaming on the go is, in fact, a desirable feature. Although to be honest the main attraction is the fact that it is both a home console experience and a handheld one at the same time.

True.

I think Switch will get a nice mix of games, giving the best of both worlds when all is said and done.

Waji

I think that what the Switch does well in this regard is that its not competing against itself or its brothers/sister consoles. Its not trying to take the home console experience and cram it into a handheld but consolidate the handheld and home console experience into one singular unit. The Vita's solution for home console on the go was to make games and experiences that were similar to what you get on the PS3/4 but cram it into a handheld. You try to fit as much as you can get in there but you had to trim alot of the fat to get to that point. The end result was you not getting the same games as the PS3/4. With the switch there's not fat trimming, or atleast not as much. You get the same game through and through.
You find lots of Vita-sized games on PS4 and not the opposite.
Sony really made everything to remove as much charm as possible from the Vita.

spekkeh

Banned

1) instant save
3) instant loading.
4) highly replayble

Etc.

Well I was one of those, but I'm not fully convinced I was talking fanboy dribble just yet. To be honest, yes BotW caught me completely by surprise by being a sprawling epic that you can play very well in short bursts. But at the same time, BotW is pretty unique in this regard. It really revolves around exploration and meaningful reward every five minutes or so. Going straight back to Horizon after finishing Zelda it struck me how turgid Horizon was, even though beforehand I was singing praises of its pace. So maybe I do want to play all big games on the switch, but maybe Zelda is also simply an outlier.

It's about little things that have to be done right and not the general type of game then.
Cause if BotW didn't have easy save, and super frequent automatic save, it would be a mess to play in portable mode. That's still true. It's not the size of the game, it's an ergonomic problem.

Also about MK8 i could buy it yesterday in france, at FNAC. There was many copies in stock.

Save anywhere was never been a big issue once DS & PSP introduced hibernation as a system standard feature. 3DS messed that up a little with how poorly it lasted in sleep mode though.

Top Bottom