• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop: Nintendo Switch Selling out in hours not days (Mario Kart Launch info)

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Yeah I guess 2018 will be the year. This is the year of Nintendo, Japanese and indie games.

Pretty much, the last Nintendo direct showed us that Japan is starting to wake up. So expect to see some hints in E3, but the flood will happen after, since E3 is not Japan focused. Just like how I suspect western developers probably wont be doing a lot of switch announcement until E3 2018, not now.

If EA, Activision, Ubisoft, and Take Two start publishing a shit ton of games on Switch this year, color me very surprised. On the other hand, if SquareEnix, Capcom, Namco, Sega, and many other don't start announcing games this year, I will also be surprised.

jjonez18

We got about 30 in a refresh that were only to be sold today at Best Buy. The first 15 or so we're ticketed and were gone by noon (we open at 10am). Our gaming department hit budget for the day around noon too (thanks Nintendo for keeping us on track to bonus). I Left around 4 and we had about 10 left. It's been steadily selling alongside Zelda and MK8. Doubt we'll have any by day's end.

1/3 were Neon btw.

We don't put them out on the floor. So the customer has to actually ask so we go get them out of the back.

jdstorm

Banned
Hopefully everybody that wants one can gets one. Everybody that wants one should have one by August. Just waiting on Nintendo to give me a reason to buy it.

I doubt it. Nintendo is at most rumoured to be manufacturing 16M this financial year and expecting to sell about 10M. They are off by about 5-10M in both cases. It will be impossible to get a switch when Mario Oddessey, Zelda DLC and whatever other Nintendo games release these Holidays.

We got about 30 in a refresh that were only to be sold today at Best Buy. The first 15 or so we're ticketed and were gone by noon (we open at 10am). Our gaming department hit budget for the day around noon too (thanks Nintendo for keeping us on track to bonus). I Left around 4 and we had about 10 left. It's been steadily selling alongside Zelda and MK8. Doubt we'll have any by day's end.

1/3 were Neon btw.

We don't put them out on the floor. So the customer has to actually ask so we go get them out of the back.

Damn that last bit is crazy. Also you guys need to sell at least $4500 worth of gaming goods a day to hit target? That seems like a lot.

Also I don't understand your first sentence. You can only sell them today? And they can only be sold at Best buy? I'm assuming you work at Best buy so where else would you sell them?

Damn that last bit is crazy. Also you guys need to sell at least $4500 worth of gaming goods a day to hit target? That seems like a lot.

Also I don't understand your first sentence. You can only sell them today? And they can only be sold at Best buy? I'm assuming you work at Best buy so where else would you sell them?

He means they received stock earlier in the week, but were required to hold them for today.

HowZatOZ

Banned
When's Minecraft due? That is going to light sales on fire like nothing else, the power of that brand is beyond comprehension. Hell I'm gonna buy it and I prefer playing PC but the portability is the winner.

jjonez18

We got them in over last weekend. Couldn't sell them until MK8D came out today, Friday.

As far as gaming's budget. It's a weekend. A time of higher spend. And we were already over 20% over budget at that time. Budget's actually more like 3.5k.

When's Minecraft due? That is going to light sales on fire like nothing else, the power of that brand is beyond comprehension. Hell I'm gonna buy it and I prefer playing PC but the portability is the winner.

Digital version next month, retail version later this year.

He means they received stock earlier in the week, but were required to hold them for today.

We got them in over last weekend. Couldn't sell them until MK8D came out today, Friday.

As far as gaming's budget. It's a weekend. Higher spend day. And we were already a couple 10% over budget at that time. Budget's actually more like 3k to 3.5k.

Ah ok that makes sense. Also how common is it for you guys to hit that target? I'm always curious as to how well games do at retail these days.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Digital version next month, retail version later this year.

I believe it's the second week of May.
Dear god. I need to get my Switch and Zelda ASAP or else I ain't playing it before Minecraft. Fuck.

Wonder how people feel here in Gaf that said it was going to flop?

Unless it's Sony, it a guaranteed flop on Gaf.
Everything is a flop. People predicted PlayStation 4 to flop as well before release. As long as you are enjoying what you've bought that's all that matters.

Jumpman23

Well deserved. I love my Switch. Can you imagine the sales when POKEMON releases?

My.

God.
I think they're giving the Switch time for enough units to be sold so they can do bigger numbers for games of that magnitude. But indeed, that is going to be bonkers when it (they?) drop.

Dear god. I need to get my Switch and Zelda ASAP or else I ain't playing it before Minecraft. Fuck.

Everything is a flop. People predicted PlayStation 4 to flop as well before release. As long as you are enjoying what you've bought that's all that matters.
I hardly remember that.

I am enjoying my consoles and yes you are correct, but that still doesn't negate how Gaf reacted to the Switch. It was not good.

Pretty much, the last Nintendo direct showed us that Japan is starting to wake up. So expect to see some hints in E3, but the flood will happen after, since E3 is not Japan focused. Just like how I suspect western developers probably wont be doing a lot of switch announcement until E3 2018, not now.

If EA, Activision, Ubisoft, and Take Two start publishing a shit ton of games on Switch this year, color me very surprised. On the other hand, if SquareEnix, Capcom, Namco, Sega, and many other don't start announcing games this year, I will also be surprised.

I expect Square to be at Nintendos Digital Event. I'm hoping TGS we get a lot more games from Japan.

I got one on Thursday, opted for the grey (3 left while they had 15 Neon blue). Mario Kart was an influence to buy one now (I'm horrible at it... can't take corners lol), but my real motivation is Ultra Street Fighter 2 next month.

No interest in Zelda, might not even get the new Mario. But if/when they release the classics to collect (og super mario 1-3) I'll be in like flynn.

Ah ok that makes sense. Also how common is it for you guys to hit that target? I'm always curious as to how well games do at retail these days.

Ultimately depends on the stores traffic, which sound like he work in one if its $4500 a day in just gaming. I remember when I used to work in PCs in bestbuy the damn goal was like 20-30K each day. Gaming was probably like $2000-3000. We never hit gaming budget. It was all home theater budget lol

Meesh

Yup. Super good for Nintendo... shitty for me. Lol I'm interested in whether they can ride this wave and which 3rd parties will take notice...

Well, shit. I knew the Switch was selling well, but I didn't realise it was selling that well. The EB Games near my office got a new shipment yesterday, but I was too lazy to get it and decided to wait till next week. Hope they still have any by then

Lo-Volt

They sell out pretty quick when our stores gets like 5 each. =P

They don't sell out quick when they put up $500 bundles. =/

Good, because that practice is actually kind of gross. Especially in previous generations, when those bundles would be loaded with really undesirable stuff.

Basically this:
2SggXw1.gif
Just realized how close Daisy was from the finishing line. Man.. hope that wasn't the last lap.

It won't, Nintendo should have pulled all the stops and make a "second launch!" making sure millions would be available. Buuuuut.. it probably was 2 boxes of 7 again per location of reseller, while apps that keep track of stock, notify all the scalpers there has been a "new delivery".

No working aprent will be able to get them LOL.

ANd yes that is NINTENDO's fault.

They by now know the intensity of the demand, so they can produce like crazy. But they choose not to. If done right, and with production revved Nintendo should be able to sell 20 million in the first year even. As it ticks off all the boxes for a success, a nice bundle during Christmas would really push people over. But nope....
I heard you can just snap your​ fingers and up production in factories you don't own and also teleport product from one side of the globe to the other in an instant. Lazy Nintendo should have just done that.

specdot

Honestly, do they hand make them? What's wrong with them?
That is a very good question my friend. Nintendo does have a reputation for creating demand through supply shortages. They've done it repeatedly, but I'm sure we can give them the benefit of the doubt this time, right?

Oregano

Mmmm so I've got a question that probably isn't worth it's own thread.... but with Bomberman at 500k Worldwide has it already surpassed every third party Wii U game?

Monster Hunter is the only one off the top of my head that might have done more than that.

Neonep

Oh while I was at Bestbuy I spoke to 2 people who both have Switchs and they had very positive things to say about it. I want to buy one but I know I won't play it. Boy, they need to hurry up with this pokemon game.

jonno394

Mmmm so I've got a question that probably isn't worth it's own thread.... but with Bomberman at 500k Worldwide has it already surpassed every third party Wii U game?

Monster Hunter is the only one off the top of my head that might have done more than that.

I'm pretty sure zombiu did more ww. Probably not over 1m though.

I think Minecraft sold more on Wii U.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
That is a very good question my friend. Nintendo does have a reputation for creating demand through supply shortages. They've done it repeatedly, but I'm sure we can give them the benefit of the doubt this time, right?

The salt

I'm fairly confident ZombiU sold more than 500k but I couldn't find a reliable source. Bomberman could probably leg it up to a million since that was only march sales and it has some name power for when it goes on sale.

Yea this as well.

Oregano

I'm fairly confident ZombiU sold more than 500k but I couldn't find a reliable source. Bomberman could probably leg it up to a million since that was only march sales and it has some name power for when it goes on sale.

Yea this as well.

I'm pretty sure zombiu did more ww. Probably not over 1m though.

We never actually got a figure for Zombi U though...

Oh yeah, it's Japanese sales guarantee that.

Don't know how much Zombi U sold on its own, but it, Splinter Cell, and AC3 did so badly that Ubisoft swore off any M-Rated games for Nintendo systems after that.

Top Bottom