• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop: Nintendo Switch Selling out in hours not days (Mario Kart Launch info)

spekkeh

Banned
God, Mario Kart 8 and Zelda BoTW are undoubtedly the most powerful launch/launch windows game ever.
Yeah it's a fantastic one two punch of Nintendo core and bridge. What TP and Wii Sports did before. I guess they moved Kart up when they understood 12Switch probably wasn't going to do it.

A.J.

Banned
2006-2007 De Ja Vu..... Confirmed Guys... Switch is the real Wii successor in term of sales, I remember reading this exact lines back then.

I'm just saying what my local Gamestop told me when I went to try and buy one the other day. No need to be smarmy.

nelchaar

Basically this:
2SggXw1.gif

I want to bash my controller into my TV and this wasn't even me it happened to.

I'm not surprised. I'm not going to keep pretending to be surprised nor worry about certain people and their so called concern of the Switch will sell well still. It's going to do great. I feel like anything above N64 sales is a success.

Shows that they nailed a good idea with the hybrid console that it could launch with such a weak lineup and be selling so insanely well. Awesome piece of hardware. Bring on E3 and show us what's to come.

KAOS

But with Zelda Botw it didn't really have a weak launch line up! Heck I think the ps4 had a weaker launch line up!

Oregano

Shows that they nailed a good idea with the hybrid console that it could launch with such a weak lineup and be selling so insanely well. Awesome piece of hardware. Bring on E3 and show us what's to come.

It looks like software is actually selling well though(not even just Zelda) so I guess its subjective.

gamerMan

But with Zelda Botw it didn't really have a weak launch line up! Heck I think the ps4 had a weaker launch line up!

Yah the Ps4 launch lineup were just ports of Ps3 games. I didn't buy it because of the games, I bought it because of the potential. With the Switch, you know you are going to get killer first party software that you can take with you. That's a big selling point.

TheFlow

Banned
I think Nintendo has something in here. Not something like the Wii. Actually, the motion controllers stayed, but not the idea of a cheap console with dated technology.

I would love a portable console from sony or microsoft in which they would put their first party best efforts.

I barely have the time to play in front of the TV anymore.
But the switch is a dated console based on specs and online play alone. Expensive controllers can't hide that.

pswii60

Indeed Switch had a genuine killler app. Without Zelda Switch would have struggled at launch. It really helped change the narrative.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
It looks like software is actually selling well though(not even just Zelda) so I guess its subjective.

Third party games are even selling well.

The only third party companies who didn't sell are the ones who didn't even up (SquareEnix, Atlus, Namco, Sega, Take Two, EA) and the games that would have sold terribly on the other platforms (Disgaea).

ZeoVGM

Banned
As I said before, lack of stocks will impact MK8D performance, let's hope it'll be resolved soon enough.

Perhaps a bit but I don't think it will be noticeable. I think MK8D numbers are going to show an incredibly high attach rate to the Switch consoles that are already sold.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Third party games are even selling well.

The only third party companies who didn't sell are the ones who didn't even up (SquareEnix, Atlus, Namco, Sega, Take Two, EA) and the games that would have sold terribly on the other platforms (Disgaea).
Pretty sure even Disgaea managed to sell through it's intial shipment just about judging by it's stock issues. Not gangbusters or anything but well it could have gone worse.

Zedark

Pretty sure even Disgaea managed to sell through it's intial shipment just about judging by it's stock issues. Not gangbusters or anything but well it could have gone worse.
If it has stock issues it's sold well in the eyes of the publisher, so you can be sure NIS is happy.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
But the switch is a dated console based on specs and online play alone. Expensive controllers can't hide that.
It's really small and the balance of every parts put together is, as we have now, the best you can buy in 2017. If there was a better product like this, Switch wouldn't do these numbers.

Buzzy42

Neo Member
Went about 11 to pick up my copy of MK8 from Best Buy and was shocked to see a pile of about 20 Switches right at the checkout counter along with a couple carts of MK8, controllers, etc. They weren't store pickup, they were just in the wild Switches-- my first sighting. I purposely went about an hour after opening to avoid any chaos from people trying to buy everything...

Gotta wonder how many of them are gone now, 3-4 hours later..

Hcoregamer00

Good point, so even Disgaea did well.

So basically the only ones who lost were the ones who didn't show up. Switch owners are probably a different breed because the killer app was Zelda (and now Mario Kart), and those are more likely to buy third party games.

Alchemy

Nintendo didn't want to pull a Wii U where they over estimated demand and basically sat on launch units until the console was shelved. I don't really know who expected this thing to be such a wild success but hey it worked out. I thought it was DOA at $300 and will definitely eat my hat over this.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

So basically the only ones who lost were the ones who didn't show up. Switch owners are probably a different breed because the killer app was Zelda (and now Mario Kart), and those are more likely to buy third party games.

switch owners are 3DS owners and Wii u owners (I imagine mainly 3DS owners since those games are also available on the wii u making buying the switch a harder proposition at launch). 3DS did just fine third party wise. Yokai Watch became a phenomenon on it, MH sold 4.1 million consistently. Bravely default sold a million outside of Japan etc. The handheld owners have never really had a issue buying 3rd party games on it. The one thing you could say is that they skewered heavily to JRPG's though really most of the games on the 3DS that aren't indie are JRPG's Vita as well really. For mid tiers and below on handhelds it's mostly what they make.

phant0m

Picked up MK8D at my local Best Buy today, they had 7 Switch units just sitting on a table. Picked one up for my buddy that's been looking for weeks, no bundle bullshit.

Nairume

Banned
At the least, it's first week sales were almost exactly proportional to what it did on the PS4 when you compare the Japanese userbase for both consoles.

Granted, I seem to recall the first week sales for the PS4 version being beneath what NIS was publicly hoping for. While I imagine they were probably hoping for the launch rush to push it more, maybe it doing what it did with a significantly smaller userbase is still enough to make them confident in eventually just starting to do more multiplat stuff. They've made it clear, either way, that PS4 alone can't sustain them.

chekhonte

Just went from 1st to 5th in the last lap from a cluster F of red shells on 3 races in a row in the 150cc special cup. time to put it down.

Hcoregamer00

At the least, it's first week sales were almost exactly proportional to what it did on the PS4 when you compare the Japanese userbase for both consoles.

Granted, I seem to recall the first week sales for the PS4 version being beneath what NIS was publicly hoping for. While I imagine they were probably hoping for the launch rush to push it more, maybe it doing what it did with a significantly smaller userbase is still enough to make them confident in eventually just starting to do more multiplat stuff. They've made it clear, either way, that PS4 alone can't sustain them.

Its quite clear the switch will be the king of the jungle in Japan, its not a matter of if it will get a flood of Japanese games but when.

Switch sales are only going to get crazier from here. Now that Mario Kart is out in the wild, people will start bringing it to the office, to house parties, etc, and other people will see it and want their own. Who wouldn't? Pretty much irresistible.

Switch's inherent self-marketing capability is likely to keep sales momentum strong for the foreseeable future.

I'm happy with Nintendo success because the Switch really deserves the success imo. Nintendo made a great console that is very desirable among people instead of the shit show that was the Wii U.

Not only the console is sexy looking, it's portable and has popular games releasing, especially Mario Kart now.

But hopefully, they make more of them, especially for the holiday season, as i know a lot of people around my circle of friends who are still looking for one. They're still very hard to find.

The aesthetics of the Switch alone will result in purchases from a certain segment of the market.

Hcoregamer00

Switch's inherent self-marketing capability is likely to keep sales momentum strong for the foreseeable future.

Yup, family gatherings or friends hanging out, especially with Mario Kart 8 out in the wild will sell far more switches than Nintendo TV ads could ever do. I imagine there will be many instances of a fun day translating into "I need to get this for my own house now." Situation.

Beast mode has been unlocked, have fun Nintendo!

starmud

All of my group targets stockpiled 20+ per location... didn't last more than an hour since too many people found out before hand. It was nice to finally get a restock of the neons....

My home store has gotten over 30 this week... supposedly more is coming

Hcoregamer00

All of my group targets stockpiled 20+ per location... didn't last more than an hour since too many people found out before hand. It was nice to finally get a restock of the neons....

My home store has gotten over 30 this week... supposedly more is coming

The thirst is real.

How long can some of these western third party devs wait? Nintendo is laying the groundwork. Just put some of your damn games and support it.

Dehnus

As I said before, lack of stocks will impact MK8D performance, let's hope it'll be resolved soon enough.

It won't, Nintendo should have pulled all the stops and make a "second launch!" making sure millions would be available. Buuuuut.. it probably was 2 boxes of 7 again per location of reseller, while apps that keep track of stock, notify all the scalpers there has been a "new delivery".

No working aprent will be able to get them LOL.

ANd yes that is NINTENDO's fault.

They by now know the intensity of the demand, so they can produce like crazy. But they choose not to. If done right, and with production revved Nintendo should be able to sell 20 million in the first year even. As it ticks off all the boxes for a success, a nice bundle during Christmas would really push people over. But nope....

Hcoregamer00

How long can some of these western third party devs wait? Nintendo is laying the groundwork. Just put some of your damn games and support it.

I suspect 2018 is when we will start seeing day and date mutiplats.

They need to see the receipts that third party games sell on the console, and the Christmas season is a good time to see if it happens.

For Japan I think we will start seeing trickles of announcements in Famitsu/Dengeki starting in summer, and then it floods over in fall into TGS.

Servbot24

Banned
Good news. I hope Nintendo recognizes that they need to go all out with software support to keep it up. That should be obvious, but for some reason it hasn't happened for previous systems.

Don't expect many announcements for the next six months if they've been waiting till now to even decide to start something

I suspect 2018 is when we will start seeing day and date mutiplats.

They need to see the receipts that third party games sell on the console, and the Christmas season is a good time to see if it happens.

For Japan I think we will start seeing trickles of announcements in Famitsu/Dengeki starting in summer, and then it floods over in fall into TGS.

Yeah I guess 2018 will be the year. This is the year of Nintendo, Japanese and indie games.

It won't, Nintendo should have pulled all the stops and make a "second launch!" making sure millions would be available. Buuuuut.. it probably was 2 boxes of 7 again per location of reseller, while apps that keep track of stock, notify all the scalpers there has been a "new delivery".

No working aprent will be able to get them LOL.

ANd yes that is NINTENDO's fault.

They by now know the intensity of the demand, so they can produce like crazy. But they choose not to. If done right, and with production revved Nintendo should be able to sell 20 million in the first year even. As it ticks off all the boxes for a success, a nice bundle during Christmas would really push people over. But nope....

Mass production of complicated electronics doesnt work like that. They've already reportedly increased production rates in line with forecsted demand and I suspect this is pretty maxed out without incurring extra cost.

Top Bottom