• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop: Nintendo Switch Selling out in hours not days (Mario Kart Launch info)

Nairume

Banned
Don't know how much Zombi U sold on its own, but it, Splinter Cell, and AC3 did so badly that Ubisoft swore off any M-Rated games for Nintendo systems after that.
I also distinctly remember Yves Guillemonte quickly talking about ZombiU being such a failure for them that it was why they did what the did with Rayman so quickly after launch.

Vena

Damn, struck a nerve with these snowflakes.

No, you just said something very stupid. If people were snowflakes for correcting incorrect statements, we'd soon melt due to climate change.

Ad hominem simply confirms your statement to not have actually been made from a point of being informed but from, in actuality, nowhere.

Now you may have thought you were being witty but, alas, wit requires some basis in reality.

LotusHD

Banned
The craze will die down within a year due to no games.

Damn, struck a nerve with these snowflakes.

Or you're just a snowflake.

giphy.gif

Or you're just a snowflake.

RIP your account

I don't know how many others share this sentiment, but Mario Kart and Zelda alone are system sellers in my opinion (somehow not for Wii U though). Splatoon 2, ARMS, Xenoblade 2, Mario Odyssey, and Fire Emblem Warriors is such a stellar lineup for the first year. I'm grabbing all of those plus Disgaea 5. Not sure how anyone could possibly make the "no games" argument. I'm not sure how good other Nintendo consoles were in their first year without looking them all up, but the Switch should be up there if they get a good virtual console release, right?

I love gaming in general and own all the major consoles, but damn do I love seeing Nintendo release a hot product. They are my favorite developers and wanna see them around so I can enjoy their games with my kids. There's seriously no other developer like them that can bring the joy of what they do to this platform I love so much. So glad they are having success. They deserve it and their developement teams are doing an amazing job bring that magic forward still. Thank you Iwata for the great gaming memory's for my kids this past 6 years. It looks like the teams you have created are gonna bring great memory's to me and my kids into the future.

I know it's just one person but I see some people also doing it too. The goalpost has been moved on to 'sales will flop a year from now' versus 'DOA' or 'it will die down within a month of launch.

Meffer

I'm still pretty shocked at the success. I didn't think this was something people wanted this much of.

I feel the ability of playing console games on the go and being able to switch over to a TV so seamlessly is something that people dreamed of for years.

Mutant

I feel the ability of playing console games on the go and being able to switch over to a TV so seamlessly is something that people dreamed of for years.

For a very long time we thought that people didn't want console style games for their handhelds!

For a very long time we thought that people didn't want console style games for their handhelds!

For their handhelds only, no. Imagine if Breath of the Wild was a handheld exclusive. People would be bitching that they can't play it on their HDTV. Now, with the game on a hybrid, nobody's complaining because it's pure convenience, no drawbacks.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The idea was always interesting... But lack of control options, hardware power and support often resulted in lackluster experiences. 3DS/Vita already closed the gap a bit... Switch is the next big step and it's ability to display content on the TV screen as well.

Kangi

I know it's just one person but I see some people also doing it too. The goalpost has been moved on to 'sales will flop a year from now' versus 'DOA' or 'it will die down within a month of launch.
It's not even two months after the launch and we're already veering dangerously close to transitioning into Wii-era "well it's just a fad" posts.

Branduil

I think what people actually didn't want was imitation console games made by B-teams, that you can only play on the handheld. Breath of the Wild is a huge success partly because it's a complete open-world console experience that you can also play on the go. A "Legend of Zelda: Bokoblin Bounties" game with a mission-based structure and no open world would not have sold Switches.

I'm still pretty shocked at the success. I didn't think this was something people wanted this much of.

To be honest the industry needs Nintendo, what would kids play if they weren't around? Mobile games? I grew up gaming, there was always something for me to play as developers targeted younger audiences. As our group grew up so did the industry and forgot the younger generation. Nintendo didn't. I have kids now and there's litrery nothing for them to play on the other consoles besides Lego, skylanders, and Disney infinity.

ASIS

I think what people actually didn't want was imitation console games made by B-teams, that you can only play on the handheld. Breath of the Wild is a huge success partly because it's a complete open-world console experience that you can also play on the go. A "Legend of Zelda: Bokoblin Bounties" game with a mission-based structure and no open world would not have sold Switches.
That's not true, PSP offered a lot of quality titles but the main argument was "handheld titles are different from console titles".

This is not just limited to the Switch, no one batted an eye when Majora's Mask was released on the 3DS despite being a full fledged home console experience.

Time has shown all these were simply excuses to downplay Sony's attempts at the handheld market. An argument can made that Nintendo's games are just better on their handhelds. But the "type" of games that suit a handheld being different from console titles are bullocks.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Nailed it

Meffer

That's not true, PSP offered a lot of quality titles but the main argument was "handheld titles are different from console titles".

This is not just limited to the Switch, no one batted an eye when Majora's Mask was released on the 3DS despite being a full fledged home console experience.

Time has shown all these were simply excuses to downplay Sony's attempts at the handheld market. An argument can made that Nintendo's games are just better on their handhelds. But the "type" of games that suit a handheld being different from console titles are bullocks.

To be honest, plenty of older games that were on consoles made it over to handheld many times. But BotW is different. It's a current gen console game that is playing on a handheld hybrid. That's amazing.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Majoras mask was a N64 game on the 3DS in 2015? Forgot which year, its not even comparable to what the switch is offering.

RRockman

Banned

Key word here that you are missing is WAS. Remakes cannot sell systems like a brand new polished game can. I also distinctly remember psp getting inferior versions of popular ps2 games like Persona 3, or Naruto ultimate ninjas or Prince of Persia.

To put what you said in context with the switch they would've had to had a handheld that can run majoras mask at the time of the original release, which we both know is completely impossible with 1997/8 tech.

And they were. Name a console franchise that made it to PSP. Now tell me whether or not that | bespoke handheld version | ranks against its current-gen equivalents.

Majora's Mask was a remaster of an N64 game.
No, it's not. In previous gens, handhelds weren't just limited by their tech, but by their control schemes and the innate personal nature of handhelds as well. It was more difficult to just translate a console game's design over to a handheld when you lacked things like analog sticks, several buttons, the ability for more than one person to play or sign in, etc. whereas Switch by design is more enabling toward that end. It's got the full suite of controls, hardware that lacks power but shares key commonalities with other platforms, and literally functions as a contemporary console out of the box.

A port of an old game versus a first party high budget effort. Yeah, there is a conspiracy against Sony's handheld efforts. Or maybe people just didn't like what they were offering. Same way people didn't like the Wii U.

Cerium

I do think, actually, that Sony might have been ahead of their time with their vision of bringing home console experiences to portables. The technology just wasn't there to do that concept justice. Vita often struggled to run games at its native 540p resolution, let alone 720p or 1080p on a big screen. I also have no problem admitting that Nintendo might have taken some cues from Sony's attempts while designing the Switch.

You can credit Sony for dreaming the dream years back, and you can credit Nintendo for understanding that now was the right time and right opportunity to realize it.

Crayon

They psp never got the kind of games that could define the system. But it was a nice system with a lot of games and they sold a good amount of them. Fate was fair to the psp.

Your assessment here is based in this old talking point. The console vs portable game style was always kinda bullshit and you are right about that. But it was just typical geek slap boxing. It's only a distorted reflection of a real phenomenon. In the case of the psp... sony expected psp versions of staple playstation games to define the system but that image never really took hold. The psp was not simply a portable playstation and that was never properly communicated.

The switch is not having this issue. It has it's own obstacles, but the messaging about the need for the switch and the emotional fulfillment (we are talking consumerism here) is strong and carried clearly.

Fiendcode

I do think, actually, that Sony might have been ahead of their time with their vision of bringing home console experiences to portables. The technology just wasn't there to do that concept justice. Vita often struggled to run games at its native 540p resolution, let alone 720p or 1080p on a big screen. I also have no problem admitting that Nintendo might have taken some cues from Sony's attempts while designing the Switch.

You can credit Sony for dreaming the dream years back, and you can credit Nintendo for understanding that now was the right time and right opportunity to realize it.
Turbo Express released in 1990. Sega Nomad in 1995. Neither Sony or Nintendo were first with this vision.

I think that's still true to an extent.

Being able to only play BotW on a handheld would kind of suck (for most people).

Being able to play BotW on both a handheld and on a TV seamlessly through the use of a single device is pretty amazing. The flexibility in how you can play the same game based on your current situation is quite liberating.

A port of an old game versus a first party high budget effort. Yeah, there is a conspiracy against Sony's handheld efforts. Or maybe people just didn't like what they were offering. Same way people didn't like the Wii U.
Also, in retrospect, while the PSP obviously fell short of the DS, it was pretty damn successful it its own right. Sold 75+ million units, which almost as much as 360, and PS3. That's a lot. That's great.

Vita, on the other hand, just fell to victim to poor business decisions, like high memory card prices, and living in a post mobile world where there was only room for the one dedicated
gaming handheld, and that was always gonna be the offering from Nintendo. Even the 3DS, for all the talk of how successful it is (and it is), has clearly been affected by mobile market (along with poor marketing decisions, like 3D brand, poor launch, etc.), as lifetime sells are way down from the DS, and even below the GBA.

My opinion is switch is a console and handheld. You release one of the best games of all time with a console it will sell. As I get older I wanna buy all the consoles but launches are left with ports and some ok new games. The switch launched with Zelda, nintwndos most ambitious game. Of course I'm gonna buy it. Along with probably 3 million other people.

Top Bottom