• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeoPOT! PS3 hacker arrested for possession of Marijuana

Hotz, apparently, holds a medical marijuana license in California, where he lives.

if this is true, it's the dudes medicine. might as well arrest him for possession of Tylenol. I take medical marijuana (exactly as my neurologist prescribed) and I don't give two shits if anyone objects.

I know some people would object on "moral grounds," and to those people I would say take your morality and choke on it. health is infinitely more important than some perceived imaginary "morality."

I say that because health is something that is objective and explicitly quantifiable, while "morality" is nebulous and highly subjective.

Its amazing how much bitterness there still is towards Geohot. I mean, yeah he's not particularly likeable and doesn't rap well, but he has contributed significantly towards people having more open consoles and exploring homebrew, and allowed Linux users to restore the functionality that was unjustifiably excised by Sony - which I like to think is a good thing.

Still, the situation has improved somewhat since last year. During that time, in many monolothic threads, a number of Sony enthusiasts were literally calling for the man to be imprisoned, raped and murdered for his apparent "crimes" against their preferred hardware platform. Strange how the same vitriol was not directed at the Kevin Butler twitter account when it leaked the PS3 security key. Regardless, its good that the situation has gone from people wishing him to be the victim of a sexual assault, to just rather pathetically pointing and laughing at an unrelated (and somewhat highly questionable) arrest.

The officer's response in this case is certainly very concerning, though I'll admit to be quite ignorant of drug laws. If Geohot has a license - would that suggest he has a medical condition that requires use of the drug for constant pain relief?

If so, does that mean people here are literally laughing at him because he has been arrested for taking his own pain relief medication?

rCIZZLE

if this is true, it's the dudes medicine. might as well arrest him for possession of Tylenol. I take medical marijuana (exactly as my neurologist prescribed) and I don't give two shits if anyone objects.

I know some people would object on "moral grounds," and to those people I would say take your morality and choke on it. health is infinitely more important than some perceived imaginary "morality."

I say that because health is something that is objective and explicitly quantifiable, while "morality" is nebulous and highly subjective.

I honestly don't get the point of the thread but there's nothing legally wrong with what happened. He should know that marijuana is totally illegal on a state level in many states and that if caught there could be a punishment. I'm against the drug war as well however I don't ignore the current laws. You can't really be surprised that he got busted for possessing an item that is illegal in the state he was at.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The most surprising part of this to me is that the weight of the chocolate led it to be valued at $800. Was it hand delivered from Belgium?

Revengeance!

2nlemc2n2km4.gif

2San

A felony for weed. Really?
Land of the free.

Still makes my turn, when I think of all those black people in for Marijuana possession.

People enjoying someone getting a felony for doing something harmless is embarrassing.

I honestly don't get the point of the thread but there's nothing legally wrong with what happened. He should know that marijuana is totally illegal on a state level in many states and that if caught there could be a punishment. I'm against the drug war as well however I don't ignore the current laws. You can't really be surprised that he got busted for possessing an item that is illegal in the state he was at.

It's unfortunate that that laws differ depending on where you are. What does not differ however are your medical needs, which are exactly the same regardless of the state you're in.

IOW he has a need for medical marijuana, whether he's in California or Texas. In Texas medical marijuana is dispensed in pill form (Marinol, or its generic equivalent Dropabinol) as synthesized THC, whereas in California it is just the actual pot leaf. He, or anyone else, can not be expected to know the minutia of such tiny differences in the law.

In other words, medical marijuana is legal in both California and Texas. It is just dispensed in slightly different ways, and that slight difference accounted for his arrest.

If this weren't quite so ridiculous I would call it a farce. As it is I will not use the descriptor for fear of being banned.

That was enough to set the sniffer dogs barking. Then, according to the report, there was some argument over the value of the drug in possession - the local sheriff apparently took the whole weight of the chocolate as the proper measure, valuing it at $800, instead of the $15 Hotz allegedly paid for it.
I simply can't get over this.

Did this fucktard think that the brownies consisted of 100 % weed? How ignorant can he possibly be?

Marijuana. The gateway drug.....
the gate being a jail cell...

Also being from the south and having done work in Texas (I) have a saying. "There's the south. Then there's Texas." Be careful not to confuse the two. It's not called the Lone Star state for nothing.

Enron

Banned
Ok, so its legal in california. What made you think it was ok to take it with you on a trip across the country across several states where you KNOW it isn't? Don't feel sorry for this guy one bit. Not like its that big of a deal anyways, but still.

jorma

is now taking requests
IOW he has a need for medical marijuana, whether he's in California or Texas. In Texas medical marijuana is dispensed in pill form (Marinol, or its generic equivalent Dropabinol) as synthesized THC, whereas in California it is just the actual pot leaf. He, or anyone else, can not be expected to know the minutia of such tiny differences in the law.

you don't actually smoke the leaves, you smoke the flowers :p

but yes, he should be expected to know that californian medical marijuana is not legal out of state. Hell, I knew that and i live a continent away from california. I'm pretty sure that he knew, and probably just forgot that he had the drugs in the car.

It's still bollox though.

Oh, well in that case he must really be using it for medical needs, I forgot how honest everyone is. No way would a doctor hook him up.

Yes, I understand. Despite no evidence whatsoever supporting anything untoward, let us go with the absolute and incontrovertible assumption that he somehow acquired his license under false and fraudulent circumstances.

Because, well, he hacked he PS3 and stuff.

Yes.

Uh, he donated the remaining money, approx. $10k to EFF.

Don't present facts, it doesn't work. When someone made up that completely unevidenced story that Geohot had taken his donations and used them to fund a fictional vacation, more than a few Neogaffers decided it must be absolutely the case regardless of the facts that contradicted it. Shameful thread, that.

In California, "being sober" would qualify as a medical condition allowing you to smoke weed.

Not really, but pretty much anything and everything can be used by a friendly doctor to get you a card.

I have a medical license for marijuana use because I have Multiple Sclerosis.

It's basically the same as being sober, except that it is an extremely severe debilitating neurological disorder. but what do I know, I've only had the disease for 10 years and seen countless neurologists across the US.

Yes, I understand. Despite no evidence whatsoever supporting anything untoward, let us go with the absolute and incontrovertible assumption that he somehow acquired his license under false and fraudulent circumstances.

Yes.

lol, has nothing to do with the PS3. If you have a medical card in California, chances are it's about wanting to get high and has little to do with medical reasons. They are a dime a dozen there.

Keep on blindly defending the guy on something you have zero knowledge on though. It's entertaining.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
If Geohot has a license - would that suggest he has a medical condition that requires use of the drug for constant pain relief?

If so, does that mean people here are literally laughing at him because he has been arrested for taking his own pain relief medication?

Oh give me a break. He, like 95% of medical marijuana license carriers, are abusing the system.

I could be wrong and he could be going through stage 4 cancer for all I know. Somehow, I doubt it.

So, will anyone be surprised when some hacking group targets the police department / person, spilling their data onto torrent sites and claiming it as some sort of retaliatory 'justice' for one of their brothers being wronged?

Keep on blindly defending the guy on something you have zero knowledge on though. It's entertaining.

Its certainly interesting that I'm contesting an invented backstory of how George got his medical license on the grounds that there are no facts to back it up whatsoever, and somehow I'm the metaphorically blind one.

If such questioning entertains you, by all means keep being entertained.

Oh give me a break. He, like 95% of medical marijuana license carriers, are abusing the system.

I'm not saying I disagree as I don't know enough about this area. Could you link me to something evidencing this, or is the 95% figure based on your own observations?

Is MrBelmontvedere one of the five percent?

I have a medical license for marijuana use because I have Multiple Sclerosis.

It's basically the same as being sober, except that it is an extremely severe debilitating neurological disorder. but what do I know, I've only had the disease for 10 years and seen countless neurologists across the US.

Legit medical use doesn't change the fact that medical reasons aren't really necessary to get a card in California and many people(especially those that are his age) have cards for no other reason than wanting to get stoned.

Its certainly interesting that I'm contesting an invented backstory of how George got his medical license on the grounds that there are no facts to back it up whatsoever, and somehow I'm the metaphorically blind one.

If such questioning entertains you, by all means keep being amused.

You're blind because you have no knowledge on the subject. Simple as that.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Yes.

Seeing the kind of person he is, I do raise an eyebrow. People take advantage of everything, and damn if I couldn't see him being no different.

You do realise I'm allowed to have my own suspicions right? Guess not.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I'm not saying I disagree as I don't know enough about this area. Could you link me to something evidencing this, or is the 95% figure based on your own observations?

Is MrBelmontvedere one of the five percent?

Yes he is, and here you go, I googled a story for you.

http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktxl-news-potinvestigation1125,0,7624481.story

Feel free to google for more stories. They closed down hundreds of these marijuana stores a few years back it got so rampant.

Top Bottom