• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeoPOT! PS3 hacker arrested for possession of Marijuana

IrishNinja

People enjoying someone getting a felony for doing something harmless is embarrassing.

exactly.
shameful enough to see mama robotnik take shit for a pro-consumer stance (which he again linked to the worthy cause those funds went to), but mixing corporate ballwashing with drug war propaganda...honestly, it's like an amalgam of ignorance.

Yes he is, and here you go, I googled a story for you.

http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktxl-news-potinvestigation1125,0,7624481.story

Feel free to google for more stories. They closed down hundreds of these marijuana stores a few years back it got so rampant.

Thanks for the link. Certainly eye-opening.

Still, I am uncomfortable with the idea that if George has a medical license, a significant chunk of us are working on the seeming assumption that it has to be fraudulent. Especially with MrBelmontvedere's evidence in the thread that such licenses have their legitimate owners.

Its possible that George has the license under untoward circumstances. Some people here seem to be acting like its incontrovertible.

Joni

Does it matter he has a license? That license isn't valid in all states. There are countries where you can buy this legally, but importing it to another country would make it illegal though?

Thanks for the link. Certainly eye-opening.

Still, I am uncomfortable with the idea that if George has a medical license, a significant chunk of us are working on the seeming assumption that it has to be fraudulent. Especially with MrBelmontvedere's evidence in the thread that such licenses have their legitimate owners.

Its possible that George has the license under untoward circumstances. Some people here seem to be acting like its incontrovertible.

Quote the significant chunks of posts that says it has to be fraudulent. Saying that having medical card doesn't mean he has a condition is different than saying it has to be fraudulent.

Besides, the entire discussion is irrelevant considering he was arrested in Texas and his card is for California.

Sheikh

Banned
Revengeance!

2nlemc2n2km4.gif

certainly a super gif,props to the maker. Like we all know "KARMA is a BITCH".
Geohot case led to ANON vs SONY thing and the company lost 171m because of that.

Texas is one of those states I wouldn't bring drugs into. Or really, I'd have just hidden the shit better. Don't be high while driving, keep your shit vacuum sealed, and don't put it in the fucking glove compartment. Fucking amateur.

jorma

is now taking requests
You're blind because you have no knowledge on the subject. Simple as that.

Seeing as you have told a number of posters to be silent because they have no clue about geohots weed prescription, it should be obvious that you do since you've been yapping a lot in the thread.

Is the prescription legit or not, and if so why?

Legit medical use doesn't change the fact that medical reasons aren't really necessary to get a card in California and many people(especially those that are his age) have cards for no other reason than wanting to get stoned.

So i can go to a cali doctor and say that i want to get stoned and he will give me prescription weed?

Cheerilee

Legit medical use doesn't change the fact that medical reasons aren't really necessary to get a card in California and many people(especially those that are his age) have cards for no other reason than wanting to get stoned.

Getting stoned on the black market is easier than getting a license.

What they want is to not be labeled as criminals for getting stoned.

Edit: Sort of like not wanting to be labeled as criminals for running their own code on their own purchased property.

I see nothing wrong with someone who is 100% healthy using marijuana recreationally. I believe it to be harmless, and if you object on "moral grounds" then like I said you can take your morality and choke on it.

There is some question as to whether he has a medical condition "justifying" his use of marijuana, a question I don't have an answer to because I don't personally know him. Perhaps he did just go doctor shopping until he found one to write him a prescription. Or perhaps he, as in my case and many others, has a legitimate need for it. In either case I wish him the best.

Seeing as you have told a number of posters to be silent because they have no clue about geohots weed prescription, it should be obvious that you do since you've been yapping a lot in the thread.

Is the prescription legit or not, and if so why?
I have no idea, I'm not talking about people having no clue on his prescription, I'm talking about people having no clue on the laws and procedures in the US and how they differ from state to state.

So i can go to a cali doctor and say that i want to get stoned and he will give me prescription weed?
The doctors don't give you weed but if you know the right one getting a card that enables you to buy it is about that simple. Most people would probably have to create some kind of imaginary symptoms for a condition to get a card if they don't have legit ones.

I see nothing wrong with someone who is 100% healthy using marijuana recreationally. I believe it to be harmless, and if you object on "moral grounds" then like I said you can take your morality and choke on it.

There is some question as to whether he has a medical condition "justifying" his use of marijuana, a question I don't have an answer to because I don't personally know him. Perhaps he did just go doctor shopping until he found one to write him a prescription. Or perhaps he, as in my case and many others, has a legitimate need for it. In either case I wish him the best.

I've been smoking for the last 15 years, so no, I have no objections on moral grounds. People can do whatever they want but if you get caught breaking the law you better be ready to accept the consequences. And if you are that dumb that you can't figure out how to not get caught with weed where you aren't allowed, maybe you shouldn't be smoking in the first place.

Tajin

Banned
Thank god for the Texas police for keeping this violent, illegal-drug using villain off the streets. I can't even imagine how many lives they have saved with this action. $800 of chocolate weed edibles? The guy was probably going to sell it to children.

(For the dense--it's sarcasm)

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Looks like New Mexico doesn't recognize the card, while Arizona does. But, the Californians can't optain Medical Marijuana from Arizona dispenories.

If you're going to risk bringing your own from California through New Mexico to use in Arizona, you probably wouldn't throw it out in Texas.

The Sierra Blanca checkpoint has caught Snoop Dog and Willie Nelson as well.

Edit: It's actually a misdemeanor based on the weight.

atomsk

Party Pooper
I bet you those Austin cops took the weed for themselves.

I'm not even kidding.

oh never mind he was on the way

I was gonna say, SXSW cops don't really care

Anecdote from someone I know who is there

"I'm smoking a harshy behind the venue... Cops walk by 3 ft infront of us, says "dammmmn! Someone's smoking that good shit!!!!"

jcm

Yes, I understand. Despite no evidence whatsoever supporting anything untoward, let us go with the absolute and incontrovertible assumption that he somehow acquired his license under false and fraudulent circumstances.

Because, well, he hacked he PS3 and stuff.

Yes.

Don't present facts, it doesn't work. When someone made up that completely unevidenced story that Geohot had taken his donations and used them to fund a fictional vacation, more than a few Neogaffers decided it must be absolutely the case regardless of the facts that contradicted it. Shameful thread, that.

No matter how you feel about DMCA, CFW, and hacking, you've got to admit geohot is a goofball. Making him the poster boy for electronic freedom is a mistake.

I think the US drug laws and particularly the US medical marijuana laws are completely screwed up, but I'm sure not going to use this knucklehead as exhibit A.

Edit: And incidentally, speaking of stupid-ass US drug laws, in Texas they really do charge you for the whole weight of the brownie:
“if the amount of the controlled substance possessed is, by aggregate weight, including adulterants or dilutants“. By aggregate weight means we’re weighing the whole thing, not just the weight on the cannabinoids. So if you’ve made marijuana brownies, for instance, you’re not facing charges for the 1/4 ounce of pot you put in them. You’re facing charges for 12 ounces of a Penalty Group 2 substance in Texas.

Solid07

Banned
This is such an embarrassment for Geo. Threw away his future for drugs obtained illegally.

Winners don't use drugs.

Sophia

This is such an embarrassment for Geo. Threw away his future for drugs obtained illegally.

Winners don't use drugs.

He didn't exactly obtain them illegally if he has a medical marijuana license. Seriously, might pay to read the OP next time instead of chiming in with bullshit?

Himself

I always found the police at SXSW to be fairly easy going and forgiving. Also, for some reason I'm always surprised by all the naive comments about weed in every thread where it is a topic on GAF.

I honestly don't get the point of the thread but there's nothing legally wrong with what happened. He should know that marijuana is totally illegal on a state level in many states and that if caught there could be a punishment. I'm against the drug war as well however I don't ignore the current laws. You can't really be surprised that he got busted for possessing an item that is illegal in the state he was at.

It isn't surprising, but imagine it was any other prescription. The stupidity would be clear.

rCIZZLE

It isn't surprising, but imagine it was any other prescription. The stupidity would be clear.

I never said it is not a stupid system. If it was another subscription drug (lol) that's legal in all states he wouldnt have a problem. Running in with a locally illegal substance and expecting no punishment if caught is a very dumb move. Even if the war on drugs ends there can and likely will be states that choose to keep some drugs illegal. IMO it's no different than respecting laws when in a different country.

Top Bottom