• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

German Federal Elections 2017 |OT| Electing the new leader of the free world

Livedili

Banned
lmao
Did you even read a single thing about the case.
Also stop using that word.

No need to be aggressive just because you disagree with someone. I've read every article about it. And everything either screams "police' fault" or "too little surveillance". Damn, I said it again. Triggered yet?

PdotMichael said:
They had already more than enough information about Anis Amri.

Yeah, they had as much as to only frame him for drug dealing. I think our german law needs a little bit of modification. Say: As soon as there's concrete evidence that you might (though this might be a little vague but that's German law in a nutshell anyway) or will make such a terrorist attack, it should be enough for the Law Enforcement to intervene. But alas, I see that you guys are not up for a debate on that. Too bad. Could've been interesting.

Irminsul said:
Well, then stop believing and read some actual research on that. Current climate change is overwhelmingly man-made.

If you can guide me to some research that is not funded by lobbyists of either party (pro climate change and contra climate change), I'd be happy to dig into it and form a new opinion. Never said my view of it is unchangeable.

I'm always for minimizing the effect on our side because that's generally a good thing. But yeah, some changes are just too radical making them almost irrational (e.g. no gasoline cars past 2030, though I might be completely off on that because who knows how far technology will be in 13 years).

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
If you can guide me to some research that is not funded by lobbyists of either party (pro climate change and contra climate change), I'd be happy to dig into it and form a new opinion. Never said my view of it is unchangeable.

All those scientists going after that sweet science funding dough.

The fabulous life of TVL-13, yo.

Livedili

Banned
Here are some handy graphs that is all you really need to see what's behind climate change: https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-whats-warming-the-world/

actually shocked how little effect deforestation has. thanks for the link. 95% confidence (though standard) is good enough. Personally, I would've liked 99% confidence but that's LHC studies level of confidence. Always knew Greenhouse Gases were at fault for our part of climate change but that degree is actually, well, devastating. Would've thought that the sun and orbital stuff accounted for more.

Xando

No need to be aggressive just because you disagree with someone. I've read every article about it. And everything either screams "police' fault" or "too little surveillance". Damn, I said it again. Triggered yet?
I think you misunderstood surveillance that was needed as camera surveillance instead of actual human surveillance done by intelligence services (which do not have enough staff to do surveillance on all of these suspects).

As long as Grüne doesn't make it to or above 5%, Germany should be fine. These guys are even worse than AfD to be honest. Environment > Humans, that's what they're after.

But still, wether you vote CDU/CSU, SPD, AfD, Linke, FDP or whatever you prefer, nothing will change. The lobby pretty much dictates what's going to happen. Just look at Grüne lately. After they told everyone "No more gasoline cars after 2030", their former automobile boss went on a huge rampage about how that is stupid etc. He's literally being bought by the industry/lobbyist. Source: https://www.tagesschau.de/inland/kretschmann-video-101.html

I voted for two completely irrelevant factions for the NRW poll in May, who didn't even get to 1%. I wholeheartedly disagree with everything CDU/CSU have done. I hate the SPD as of late and AfD are just a bunch of 1940 apologist retards not even worth talking about.

Living in Germany feels like sitting a car, that's driving at 300 km/h towards as massive wall. Brakes disabled. All you can do is wait for the huge crash. When it comes to "Digitalisierung" (pretty much anything that is connected to the internet), our dear politicians are beyond belief levels of retarded.

We're the only nation with the absurd "Störerhaftung". There's nothing even close as retarded in any other state in the whole multiverse. But hey, lobbyists like it. It rakes in the cash, while the common pleb gets nothing in return. Fuck, the german politicians, esp. CDU/CSU are even blocking free wifi because of that retarded rule. Meanwhile, third world countries have free wifi and better internet connections. Germany? You're happy if you get at least 6mbps. Surely this state is ready for the digital era that's coming faster than our politicians can react. because doing nothing is not reacting at all.

Exaggeration much? Plus there is only a very slim chance that the Greens don't past the 5% threshold. And you know what... Germany is gonna be fine "despite" that.
Again exagerating like crazy on the internet speed, too...

Surely this has to be sarcasm. How can u defend a party, who wants LESS security cameras in cities like Berlin or Cologne? Yeah, please, explain. All those thugs and libanese gangs agree with that sentiment.

The environment is important? Yeah, to a degree. I don't want a Shanghai situation. But Germany is far, very far, from this. So by design, Grüne have literally no reason to exist. Well, other than to piss off everyone else.

So more personal freedom is a bad thing per se? Lol...

Thousands of people die every year, in developed economies including Germany, because of pollution. You might not see it, but it still kills you!

Yeoman

actually shocked how little effect deforestation has. thanks for the link. 95% confidence (though standard) is good enough. Personally, I would've liked 99% confidence but that's LHC studies level of confidence. Always knew Greenhouse Gases were at fault for our part of climate change but that degree is actually, well, devastating. Would've thought that the sun and orbital stuff accounted for more.
A German climate change denier.
Jesus Christ I've seen everything now.

Oersted

By design, to take the wording literally, car manufacturers cheated with their emissions. And to use the word in the other sense, SPD and CDU/CSU are looking away by design, lobbying for lower EU standards, no consumer protection and zero repercussions.

Livedili

Banned
A German climate change denier.
Jesus Christ I've seen everything now.

What makes you think I am denying it?

Just to make things clear from the getgo: I do believe in climate change and that mankind is partly responsible for this. But I also believe that most of it is just natures' course.

Want the bolded part printed out in skyscraper letters so you actually read what I write? And me acknowledging it in the exact sentences you quote that it's more than just "partly"? Are u actually mentally challenged? Serious question.

Xando said:
I think you misunderstood surveillance that was needed as camera surveillance instead of actual human surveillance done by intelligence services (which do not have enough staff to do surveillance on all of these suspects).
Yeah, that's my fault. Should've made it more evident that I don't necessarily mean cameras but human surveillance. Sorry for the confusion. The latter and more important one just doesn't have enough staff like you said.

Dilly

Banned

The sun is closest to earth in january during winter for the northern hemisphere, dig into that.

What makes you think I am denying it?

Want the bolded part printed out in skyscraper letters so you actually read what I write? And me acknowledging it in the exact sentences you quote that it's more than just "partly"? Are u actually mentally challenged? Serious question.

Yeah, that's my fault. Should've made it more evident that I don't necessarily mean cameras but human surveillance. Sorry for the confusion. The latter and more important one just doesn't have enough staff like you said.

It's the part about "But I also believe that most of it is just natures' course." that is troublesome. I.e. there is scientific consensus that atleast most of the warming trend of the last ~50+ years is man made.

Livedili

Banned
It's the part about "But I also believe that most of it is just natures' course." that is troublesome. I.e. there is scientific consensus that atleast most of the warming trend of the last ~50+ years is man made.

ye, and I've spent the last couple of hours looking for studies/researches (trying to find somewhat independant ones but they're hard to come by). I see that it is really man made, not just partly but for the very most part. I learned something today. Dunno why people still hate on my statement when I was being rationally skeptical of stuff.

Just to make it more clear why I previously thought it was more nature than mankind: I've been thaught (by university esp, parents, etc) that I should always be critical of anything professors, people, scientists say. Without really solid proof, there's no saying something is 100% for certain not matter how good a scientific model may sound. In the past (5 or more years ago), I've read a couple of really polarized articles pro and cons of climate change. Eventually, I concluded to myself, that the truth must be somewhere "in the middle".

I was proven wrong today. It's cool, I don't mind at all. Actually, I am thankful I've been enlightened.

Xando

New poll

DDHKdfoXoAAYDkb.jpg

Ladekabel

By the way, what was this about? I must have completely missed that whenever that was.

The Greens suggested that cafeterias have one day were only serving vegetarian meals to reduce the usage of resources for meat production and probably a few other eco reasons. The Bild made that "DIE GRÜNEN WOLLEN UNS DAS FLEISCH VERBIETEN!!!" (engl. The Greens want to ban meat!!!).

I honestly don't think that it was not a bad idea but the Germans and their meat is something not to mess with.

It's somewhat comical that a LIBERAL party decided NOW to stand for same-sex marriage.
Better late than never, I guess..

It's also quite funny that they have less voters wanting same-sex marriage than the CDU voters. Quite a feat if you're not the AfD.

Well, we'll see if they'll stand by their words. If it comes to that.

The Greens suggested that cafeterias have one day were only serving vegetarian meals to reduce the usage of resources for meat production and probably a few other eco reasons. The Bild made that "DIE GRÜNEN WOLLEN UNS DAS FLEISCH VERBIETEN!!!" (engl. The Greens want to ban meat!!!).

I honestly don't think that it was not a bad idea but the Germans and their meat is something not to mess with.

Something minor like this got them that bad of a reaction in the populace? Typical Bild, but from the wikipedia entry and Spiegel article I just read this still seems really blown out of proportion...

I mean, it was even mentioned that cities like Bremen and companies already do this, and that it wasn't even possible to make it compulsory by themselves.

Probably should just have proposed to make cafeterias have more or better vegetarian/vegan options generally, as opposed to one specific day in the week.

Reaction still seems really silly :/

Oersted

It's also quite funny that they have less voters wanting same-sex marriage than the CDU voters. Quite a feat if you're not the AfD.

Well, we'll see if they'll stand by their words. If it comes to that.

Something minor like this got them that bad of a reaction in the populace? Typical Bild, but from the wikipedia entry and Spiegel article I just read this still seems really blown out of proportion...

I mean, it was even mentioned that cities like Bremen and companies already do this, and that it wasn't even possible to make it compulsory by themselves.

Probably should just have proposed to make cafeterias have more or better vegetarian/vegan options generally, as opposed to one specific day in the week.

Reaction still seems really silly :/

That was actually part of the proposal, mentioned in the same sentence as the veggie-day. But of course, noone reads more than (Bild)headlines. Fittingly enough, it took three months(since the Green Party program was publically available) for the outrage to start. Kickstarted by the Bild frontpage. Bild defines what we know, discuss and how we discuss it.

Fritz

I never read the BILD article and I never thought that they straight up dictate a veggie day. But it's troubling imho that they even think about such regulations. It might be a good idea and for sure it had good intent, but I'd rather want small(er) government.

Lucumo

That doesn't make much sense, but you do you.
I'm a carnivore. It's already bad enough that a lot of cafeterias apparently have to fulfill certain nutrition quotas. So I get whatever meal I order with some extra vegetables which often doesn't fit at all and which I don't eat. Meaning, I pay more for my meals, probably around 50 Cent each time.

I'm a carnivore. It's already bad enough that a lot of cafeterias apparently have to fulfill certain nutrition quotas. So I get whatever meal I order with some extra vegetables which often doesn't fit at all and which I don't eat. Meaning, I pay more for my meals, probably around 50 Cent each time.
You are being forced to eat (pay for) vegetables?
Germany sure has changed in the year that I have left.

I never read the BILD article and I never thought that they straight up dictate a veggie day. But it's troubling imho that they even think about such regulations. It might be a good idea and for sure it had good intent, but I'd rather want small(er) government.

I wouldn't call a recommendation for cafeterias (that's literally what it was supposed to be, a recommendation) to try this out a regulation. I really wouldn't. There's no slippery slope or Bevormundung here.

It's simply to encourage people to volunteer to not eating meat for one day a week. Nothing else. We Germans eat more meat than ever before, and that this is the point where the moralizing ends is a bit sad.

I'd be perfectly fine to eat a vegetarian meal once a week. Hell, it's not like I have to eat tree roots or something. There's plenty to make with noodles, rice etc. without using meat. If you're not fine with it, that's perfectly okay too.

Ladekabel

I wouldn't call a recommendation for cafeterias (that's literally what it was supposed to be, a recommendation) to try this out a regulation. I really wouldn't. There's no slippery slope or Bevormundung here.

It's simply to encourage people to volunteer to not eating meat for one day a week. Nothing else. We Germans eat more meat than ever before, and that this is the point where the moralizing ends is a bit sad.

I'd be perfectly fine to eat a vegetarian meal once a week. Hell, it's not like I have to eat tree roots or something. There's plenty to make with noodles, rice etc. without using meat. If you're not fine with it, that's perfectly okay too.

Don't take away the weiners that Germans put in their mouths!

Lucumo

You are being forced to eat (pay for) vegetables?
Germany sure has changed in the year that I have left.
Yep, at least in the cafeterias I frequent. Like, you want spaghetti bolognese and usually that's without vegetables but they put salad stuff on top. Even "Quark mit Leinöl" which includes chive and onions has it. From time to time they at least take pity on me and I don't have to pay for the vegetable part I'm not eating.

Eating meat every day isn't exactly a bad thing. I'm probably underweight anyway, so I prefer some actual food.
(Though, I'm all for better treatment of animals.)

For me it amounts to maybe 3-4 meals but I'm lucky if I see even one of that on a month's menu.

oti

Banned
Eating meat every day isn't exactly a bad thing. I'm probably underweight anyway, so I prefer some actual food.
(Though, I'm all for better treatment of animals.)

For me it amounts to maybe 3-4 meals but I'm lucky if I see even one of that on a month's menu.

It is exactly a bad thing. A bad thing for the environment and a bad thing for you.

Lucumo

God forbid someone has to eat 50 cents* worth of disgusting vegetables every lunch !

*maybe, sort of, could cost that much

lol
I guess reading comprehension isn't your strongest point. Also, it's around 120€ a year.

It is exactly a bad thing. A bad thing for the environment and a bad thing for you.
I'm fine with it, no worries.

Also directly correlates with hunger in the world, since cattle food takes space away where you could grow grain instead.
That has more to do with some people multiplying like rabbits. If they would get that under control, hunger wouldn't be much of an issue (or way less of an issue at least).

Pezking

You guys realize this thread is for the 2017 election?

That whole Veggie Day controversy happened in 2013 before the last federal election.

Fritz

That whole Veggie Day controversy happened in 2013 before the last federal election.

the story is just a pointed illustration of what people dislike about the Greens. Deal with it.

Its in the end a discussion about if the Grünen are electable, it fits

the story is just a pointed illustration of what people dislike about the Greens. Deal with it.

Yup, it's to look at complaints people have about parties and see if those are legit or not. Still valuable for this election.

Ladekabel

This "attack on our democracy"-line will not do Schulz any favours. Really poor form imo.

With the reaction, one could argue hit dogs bark.

If it'll do him any favors I don't know. The AfD was thriving by attacking Merkel for a few months and the CSU tried the same tactic. If it will do good or not has to be seen.

I for one think that there were attacks from the CDU on our Democracy with all the surveillance stuff like the recent "Staatstrojaner". Problem is, the SPD helped them do it.

Devil

This "attack on our democracy"-line will not do Schulz any favours. Really poor form imo.

Yeah. I'd love the SPD to be competitive and they certainly need to go into the offense but with that line he makes the same old mistakes Merkel's previous rivals did: they exaggerate and therefore drive people to Merkel because even though they see failures they also think it isn't exactly as horrible as Schulz makes it out to be.

They need to name the current governmemts mistakes (including their own) and they have to do that hard. But a generalizing sentence which almoust sounds as if we live in a terror-regime? Come on!

Even if there are decisions against the will of a majority, the government was elected to do what they stand for and may do so as long they stay within the boundaries of our law. We don't need a referendum for decisions to be rightful. There is no attack on democracy itself.

Not even the Staatstrojaner, as long as the people using that stick to the already existing laws which already should hinder any government body from (mass) surveillance without a good reason. If they abuse it, that's when one can talk of an attack on democracy. But that's not the Staatstrojaner itself which is at fault.

The backwards dipshits from the CSU are going to throw a hissy fit though. Looking forward to all the salt, tbh.

CSU is also well aware that there won't be a major backlash nowadays. A couple of years ago their Bavarian core voters would have demanded Horsts head on a plate for even considering this. Besides, we all know that LGBT issues won't be a major churn driver of the next election. Those will be inner security and economy issues.

Top Bottom