• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

German Federal Elections 2017 |OT| Electing the new leader of the free world

YoungFa

Schulz will Bundestagsabstimmung noch diese Woche erzwingen

Die SPD will noch in dieser Woche über die Ehe für alle im Bundestag abstimmen lassen. Er hoffe, dass die Union „mitziehen werde“. Ansonsten würde die SPD einen solchen Gesetzentwurf auch allein einbringen.

https://www.welt.de/politik/deutsch...agsabstimmung-noch-diese-Woche-erzwingen.html
If i understood that correctly it would be most benefecial for schulz if the cdu actively tried to block/prevent the vote. But what if they would go with it and vote for gay marriage? Wouldnt he lose another point that would differentiate him and his party from the conservatives?

Haha, he won't let Merkel and Lindner steal his "thunder" or what?

They weren't stealing anything to begin with. The CDU is the major reason why the vote hasn't happened yet, and even now they have to resort to a fractionless vote.

Seeing this as some sort of achievement of Merkel is just not true. It's way overdue.

Don't get me wrong, the SPD can't really talk either. They had many chances to push it through in their coalition and chose to fold everytime.

Fritz

I agree, but just the escalating series of events was funny. Lindner: marriage for everyone will be compulsory if you want a coalition with us > next day Merkel: I am open for a marriage for all > next day Schulz: I am gonna force a parliamentary decision on it this week!

Credit goes to the greens I guess who have been advocates when no one cared

I agree, but just the escalating series of events was funny. Lindner: marriage for everyone will be compulsory if you want a coalition with us > next day Merkel: I am open for a marriage for all > next day Schulz: I am gonna force a parliamentary decision on it this week!

Credit goes to the greens I guess who have been advocates when no one cared

You're right, the whole chain of events is pretty hilarious on all sides

super.modulaire

Neo Member
They weren't stealing anything to begin with. The CDU is the major reason why the vote hasn't happened yet, and even now they have to resort to a fractionless vote.

Seeing this as some sort of achievement of Merkel is just not true. It's way overdue.

Don't get me wrong, the SPD can't really talk either. They had many chances to push it through in their coalition and chose to fold everytime.
The SPD couldn't do much because they had to remain loyal to the coalition - and they couldn't vote for a proposal submitted by a non-governmental party.

The SPD couldn't do much because they had to remain loyal to the coalition - and they couldn't vote for a proposal submitted by a non-governmental party.

In the coalition contract is the mention of eliminating any rules that have homosexuals etc. in a worse position, though. That wasn't delivered on at all.

CDU doesn't rule out same sex marriage after the elections

200.webp

Merkel just allowed it to go ahead and dissolved "Fraktionszwang".

SPD+Green+Left+ moderate CDU (even if all CSU politicians voted against it) have the numbers to get it through.

It's happening.

Siegcram

Ehe für alle went from 0 to 100 real quick. This is bigger than the actual election for quite a few people I know.

Would be amazing if it happened. Would be even better if it cost the Union a few points.

Very good. Is there a date for the vote already?

No, this is breaking news right now (even got a notification from the Tagesschau App).

This is honestly the best thing Schulz has done this entire campaign.

Edit: Just read that even Seehofer is in support of this vote. It will make it through with flying colours.

Edit: Just read that even Seehofer is in support of this vote. It will make it through with flying colours.

Lol, only yesterday he was saying that making it a coalition condition was wrong.

Also heard in the radio today that CDU leaders were against the vote, hence the need for no Fraktionszwang. CDU would never vote yes on this otherwise.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Seehofer can go fuck himself anyway. He wanted to put people who suffer from AIDS in concentrations camps once.

Anyway, I think this is big news and deserves a own thread. Should I make one?

Lol, only yesterday he was saying that making it a coalition condition was wrong.

Also heard in the radio today that CDU leaders were against the vote, hence the need for no Fraktionszwang. CDU would never vote yes on this otherwise.

Yeah, he is a massive dick. Really wish the CSU wasn't as terrible as it is.
Bavaria sure does breed some nutters. Maybe Bavarian independence wouldn't be such a bad idea.....

Bavaria is subsidising the other 14* states financially ( because they are rich even by german standards) and the federal government is keeping their fuckery in check. I know you aren't serious, but they should definitely stay where they are.

*as is Baden-Württemberg

Xando

Ehe für alle went from 0 to 100 real quick. This is bigger than the actual election for quite a few people I know.

Would be amazing if it happened. Would be even better if it cost the Union a few points.

Merkel knew the topic would come up in election and quickly changed her position so SPD can't attack her on it.

Classic Merkel move

Ladekabel

Merkel knew the topic would come up in election and quickly changed her position so SPD can't attack her on it.

Classic Merkel move

They still can attack her party if the Bundestag holds the vote about it before summer break and elections and the Union votes against it.

On that note: Is the Fraktionszwang legal?

Xando

They still can attack her party if the Bundestag holds the vote about it before summer break and elections and the Union votes against it.
SPD can't attack her for shit now since they've waited themselves until Merkel gave a interview signaling she's ok with it.

They even had it in the koalitionsvertrag and the SPD just kept quiet for 3 1/2 years.

Why wouldn't it be?

Ladekabel

SPD can't attack her for shit now since they've waited themselves until Merkel gave a interview signaling she's ok with it.

They even had it in the koalitionsvertrag and the SPD just kept quiet for 3 1/2 years.

Like I said, they probably won't attack her directly but her party. She makes herself attackable if she can't convince her party about voting for the Ehe für Alle. Not a big place but I think they'll try.

Why wouldn't it be?

Because the will of the Fraktion might not always be the will of the people that voted for or are represented by their representative?

Clessidor

Actually political parties avoid it to call it Frakionszwang. Technically by basic law the members of the Bundestag have only to vote based on their own conscience (Art.38 Abs.1 GG). Still I think there is a Fraktionsdisziplin or a generally guideline how a party agrees to vote or stand to a general topic, and if members of the parlament vote different than that, then it will have consequences.
From what I understand it's basicly that the Union won't have a suggested vote or guideline for the members of their party for this topic.

Siegcram

Classic Merkel move
Well yeah, like someone already said, the only ones who really deserve credit are Die Grünen.

But I don't really care how we got here.

And Seehofer could still at least partly fuck this up for Merkel.

I don't get what Merkel is doing right now. She's criticizing SPD for forcing the vote. Doesn't seem like a smart strategy to me on a topic that has such public support.

Xando

So we're basically where we were back in 2013 just that the FDP and AfD are doing a little bit better. Kind of boring
Not sure what you expected. SPDs social security topics don’t get a lot of traction when most of the country is doing fairly well.

Lucumo

Not sure what you expected. SPDs social security topics don’t get a lot of traction when most of the country is doing fairly well.
Yep, it will pretty much stay the same (for all parties) until an actual problem hit: the baby-boomers retiring. And with Gröhe making the problem worse, we will certainly get in trouble.

chadskin

In their campaign program for the German election, Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservatives have dropped the term "friend" in describing the relationship with the United States.

Four years ago, the joint program of her Christian Democratic Union (CDU) and its Bavarian sister party, the Christian Social Union (CSU), referred to the United States as Germany's "most important friend" outside of Europe.

The 2013 program also described the "friendship" with Washington as a "cornerstone" of Germany's international relations and talked about strengthening transatlantic economic ties through the removal of trade barriers.

But the words "friend" and "friendship" are missing from the latest election program - entitled "For a Germany in which we live well and happily" - which Merkel and CSU leader Horst Seehofer presented on Monday ahead of a Sept. 24 election.

Instead, the United States is described as Germany's "most important partner" outside of Europe. CDU officials were not immediately available to comment on the change in wording.
http://www.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN19O1NS

That'll raise eyebrows in Washington ...

GAMEPROFF

Banned
From the party secretary of the CDU:

Translation:

Tauber: Political campaign: full employment better then justice (social justice in this context, the topic of the SPD), [link to conservative newspaper article]

Twitter user: Does this mean three minijobs for me?

Tauber: If you have learned something proper, you dont need three minijobs

Best wishes from Mutti! Tauber is the worst, I hope he needs to step down over this.

Top Bottom