• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - 02/10/15

Seventy70

Dan really gets on my nerves when he starts with the "hard work will lead to success" talk. It gives me the feeling that he doesn't know that not everyone is as privileged and lucky as he is. Another thing is how he constantly says he's not close minded, yet he obviously is.

Most of the time he is cool, but when it comes to certain things, I just feel like punching him in the face.

Dan really gets on my nerves when he starts with the "hard work will lead to success" talk. It gives me the feeling that he doesn't know that not everyone is as privileged and lucky as he is. Another thing is how he constantly says he's not close minded, yet he obviously is.

Where is this conversation? Just wondering to see what the context is.

I don't know if there's a better place to put this but in the mailbag video in the OP (which by the way is great), at one point Jeff walks by a QR code on the wall and it turns out to be a link to the CBSi third floor map, with apparently an X where the printer is? Have we covered this yet? Am I a stalker?

Most of the time he is cool, but when it comes to certain things, I just feel like punching him in the face.

Eh, he's a guy from the Midwest who is the product of divorce who's mother was a waitress and father was a mailman. It's not like he's the son of a VP of a giant sporting good company.

Xeteh

I have no real stake in Majora's Mask... but didn't Brad just recently say he barely played MM back in the day and just played it a touch on the 3DS but he's got an opinion of someone who played through it?

What? He is absolutely aware about how lucky he got. He also did everything he could to get his career going in this direction. I don't know what you're going on about.

daydream

Banned
Jeff really doesn't like Gunshoo (?) Gumshoo (??).

250px-Gumshoebox.jpg

I have no real stake in Majora's Mask... but didn't Brad just recently say he barely played MM back in the day and just played it a touch on the 3DS but he's got an opinion of someone who played through it?

so you figured it out

FluxWaveZ

That's Brad for a bunch of games, though, right? It was like that for Smash and Driveclub, for relatively recent examples, and I recall that happening a whole bunch in the past.

Seventy70

Eh, he's a guy from the Midwest who is the product of divorce who's mother was a waitress and father was a mailman. It's not like he's the son of a VP of a giant sporting good company.

You're right, but it just comes off like he doesn't realize that there are plenty of people that work their asses off and still fail. Dan has worked hard and combined with some luck, he ended up where he is. There are plenty of people like that who never made it like he has despite the hard work. Maybe he does know that, but sometimes the way he says things makes him sound ignorant.

Maybe it's just me though.

Ooooh, just got to the MM discussion. (1:10m in)

MM is a 'bag of shit' according to Jeff. And Brad chimes in to say it is 'poop'.

Okay. It's like they get carried away with trying to be edgy. It totally does not deserve this treatment, even if you somehow dislike Zelda games in general.

Edit: How is MM bad just because it tries/does something different? His argument doesn't even work, he attempts to say technical reasons caused them to not create an 'epic' scenario, yet OOT had already been released which follows that mold.

MM broke ground, man. How can Jeff argue it was 'knocked out'? It has so many unique and dynamic systems, and does so many creative stuff regarding a sense of time, simulating a living world where NPC's have schedules, storytelling, creating scale within a limited area. It is the opposite of something that has been 'knocked out' or an OOT expansion pack.

Why is it bad if it is a side story?

Ianan

Holy shit I just got to the Majoras Mask discussion, holy fuck...
Damn man, the fuck are they even talking about. Brad, Jeff...Jesus duders.

Balb

I didn't think the MM hate was that bad. Then again I thought Jeff's NiGHTS and Yoshi's Island rants were hilarious despite me loving those games.

In any case I get the sense that Jeff won't end up liking P5. Not sure why.

danm999

I didn't think the MM hate was that bad. Then again I thought Jeff's NiGHTS and Yoshi's Island rants were hilarious despite me loving those games.

No Chie.

Xeteh

Honestly, I think it would be more of a him never playing it because of how long it is. Persona 4 was something they played as an ER because it was the only way they'd be able to find time. Even if Jeff is really curious I can't imagine him sticking it out for the entire length unless he reaaaaally got in to it.

FluxWaveZ

It's not Persona 4, basically. He said he would have rathered a P4-2 announcement in 2013 than a P5 announcement, to which I say, in the eternal words of Gerstmann, "NO. THANK YOU."

What? He is absolutely aware about how lucky he got. He also did everything he could to get his career going in this direction. I don't know what you're going on about.
Brad is a firm believer in playing games via osmosis.

bonercop

though he did say he was excited for it, the whole P5 discussion was weirdly tense, lol. almost like they brought it up as a kind of "thanks, we saw it, please don't send us emails about it!"

It's not Persona 4, basically. He said he would have rathered a P4-2 announcement in 2013 than a P5 announcement, to which I say, in the eternal words of Gerstmann, "NO. THANK YOU."

The part where Brad says he would think Atlus would put in more P4 stuff to capitalize on P4's popularity gave me shivers.

There's been Persona 4, the Persona 4 anime, the Persona 4 sequel fighting game, a director's cut of Persona 4 with a true TRUE ending, another Persona 4 anime to animate all of the new stuff from the director's cut, another Persona 4 fighting game that's a sequel to the first one, a Persona 4/3 crossover game set in Persona 4's school, and soon a Persona 4 dancing game. Enough is enough already. Let Charlie leave Inaba in peace.

(i'm not counting P3P's trip to Inaba where you meet young Yukiko either)

jaina

I don't know if there's a better place to put this but in the mailbag video in the OP (which by the way is great), at one point Jeff walks by a QR code on the wall and it turns out to be a link to the CBSi third floor map, with apparently an X where the printer is? Have we covered this yet? Am I a stalker?

Thanks, I didn't know. Now I'm set whenever I need to print something at CBSi 3rd floor. I hope someday another QR code will provide the Wifi password.

Mechazawa

Didn't Vinny practically man the controls every single time they played Persona?

I'm only about 20-ish episodes in on that ER, so maybe that changes, but Jeff having to play Persona by himself and having to play with Vinny while cracking jokes inbetween are two completely different experiences. I'd play any piece of shit with Vinny through to completion and come out a happier man for it.

OK, so that Majora talk after having had listened. You know what? That wasn't bad, it was starting off wild but lost steam and got introspective later.

"Mr. Pessimist, meet Mr. Optimist. Mr. Optimist, Mr. Pesssimist"

Majora talk wasn't even bad. Jeff doesn't like the game but it's not like everything he said was untrue. The game did have a short development time, it isn't as grand of an adventure as other Zeldas, it is freaking weird, some of the mechanics are cumbersome. He just says it in his over the top method for the sake of being funny on a gaming podcast.

Mr. F

Banned
Them talking through The Witness news made me rewatch the trailer for it. I really can't wait for that to come out, hope it's relatively soon.

Brad was actually right about why Wind Waker's sailing was as slow as it was; when they made WWHD, it was mentioned that one of the reasons that they could have faster sailing options was because the Wii U could load in the geometry data for the next island faster.

One time playing WW on an aging GameCube, the disk actually starting skipping (you can hear the disk spinning when you cross into another square on the map) instead of loading properly, and the island in front of me remained a black silhouette for way too long before the game crashed.

convo

The part where Brad says he would think Atlus would put in more P4 stuff to capitalize on P4's popularity gave me shivers.

There's been Persona 4, the Persona 4 anime, the Persona 4 sequel fighting game, a director's cut of Persona 4 with a true TRUE ending, another Persona 4 anime to animate all of the new stuff from the director's cut, another Persona 4 fighting game that's a sequel to the first one, a Persona 4/3 crossover game set in Persona 4's school, and soon a Persona 4 dancing game. Enough is enough already. Let Charlie leave Inaba in peace.

(i'm not counting P3P's trip to Inaba where you meet young Yukiko either)

Why would Brad be commenting on this anyway. Explain yourself rudds!

Dan talking about 30 year old guys being upset about Zelda's story.
Bombcast getting upset about Zelda games.
Lol people upset about Majora being a spin off.

Edit: Metal Gear as an ANIME?! Eff that Jeff.

Metal Gear is basically an anime... Outside of Video games, the whole essence MGS really wouldn't work a movie, tv show, or book... No matter how much Kojima would beg to differ.

convo

But he is getting more than enough of that from the spin-offs. He made that comment before all of those other games were announced, and he obviously played one of the fighting games after that. His state of mind should be a little different now. And what he thinks of P5 would depend on when he actually plays it. They might as well be talking about nothing right now, and i would think Jeff would be annoyed if everyone ask them about their opinion of that by now. Brad should present dancing all night in the quick look of that game, so that Jeff can be all wft are you talking about.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Dan talking about 30 year old guys being upset about Zelda's story.
Bombcast getting upset about Zelda games.
Lol people upset about Majora being a spin off.

Edit: Metal Gear as an ANIME?! Eff that Jeff.

Maybe once you gain some life experience you too will realize MGS is animu bullshit.

yami4ct

With a franchise like Persona, sometimes a certain game in that franchise will resonate with people so much, it sort of ruins the rest of the franchise. It sort of seems for Jeff, Persona 4 is that game, and that's fine. We'll see when P5 comes out what he thinks, but I do think it'll be tough to follow P4 for him. For the rest of us who just like the franchise as a whole for what it is, Persona 4 has been played far beyond its logical conclusion and it's time to move on (This is coming from me, who considers Persona 4 my favorite game of all time).

Brad's confusion of basically the lack of a P4-2 clearly just comes from a lack of exposure to the franchise as a whole and what a good chunk of its fans are now looking for.

convo

Metal Gear is anime since Dan saw akira and the talks of dumb misinterpretations of Genes and Biology might as well be the same,because dumb is dumb. Otaku convention(Otacon) is at least not annoying about making him watch the latest stuff. I am glad that the people sending Dan those anime disks are in touch with reality, and send actual "cool guy"looking stuff, and are not some dumb kids.

I don't think Dan is close minded but he would need someone else to be right in front of him and make him do stuff. People with a conviction could make him good food to stuff in his face, to make him understand but that is a future feature of the site.

mj-laughing.gif

Yeah, that's certainly one way of putting it.

Well, it would help to a lot of discussions about Nintendo. Is a great developer, no one can deny it, but even Valve gets more flak from fans than Nintendo. I mean some people really want to sell the idea that hunting Amiibos is a fun activity...

During the same conversation about Majora Jeff called both A Link Between World's and Wind Waker "brilliant".....but they hate Nintendo guys. They just don't diefy Nintendo (or any other developer really) like some others do.

convo

he was the host and it's the host's job to move things along

it's all in george washington's book of podcast etiquette

8-4-guys sure would benefit if he was hosting 8-4 Play then i guess, at least someone else could actually educate him on that stuff.

Also whenever he talks about Nova and cosmos it seems to be too much for him to actually form long and coherent enough sentences about science subjects. I usually pay less attention to the podcast when Brad does it.At least when Dan is a moron or Jeff is upset about anything it is funny to listen to. There is a difference between the pig-fairies riding unicorns standards of science the rest of the crew usually has, and the half assed reproductions of Brad. One is more likely to lead to hilarity and another is just not up to date for me personally and stuff i've known for a decade .

But Brad should know by now what actually results in an entertaining podcast by now.

Jintor

Well, it would help to a lot of discussions about Nintendo. Is a great developer, no one can deny it, but even Valve gets more flak from fans than Nintendo. I mean some people really want to sell the idea that hunting Amiibos is a fun activity...

what, on the bombcast, or just generally?

Top Bottom