• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant spider traps terrified family inside their home

Ronin Ray

8RcQFre.gif

I hate you for life

Maxinas

Just think, somewhere out there, in a deep, dark, dank cave, hidden from human civilization, a species of arachnid the size of a dog
(Maybe even bigger)
, just waiting to be discovered.

Buckle

Tbh, if a spider is that large it's shocking but it's easier to make sense of. I'd have an attack plan ready.
Yes. Like shoot it with a fucking gun loaded with silver bullets.

I feel bad because I know a lot of spiders are harmless and eat a lot of other pests but goddamn is it hard to fight the feeling to wipe them from the face of the earth anytime they appear inside a house.

Had an orb weaver in my yard awhile back, didn't mess with it, I could actually sort of admire it but when I found a brown recluse in my bathroom awhile back, went ballistic. Just something about being in a closed in space with a spider that brings out the arachnid murderer within.

Callego

Once I was driving and I looked out the side window while stopped at a red light. Imagine my shock when I saw a huntsman gripping its hairy legs on the window!

Then imagine how I felt when I realised it was on the INSIDE of the car.

Huntsmen are cool though. Scuttle when trying to catch them which is annoying but won't kill you or anything.

I get them in my bedroom a bunch. The house is right next to some bushland conservation area and I have a window. I have to remember to turn the lights on at night in the hallway so I don't accidentally grope one in the darkness while trying to go to bed.

Ronin Ray

Once I was driving and I looked out the side window while stopped at a red light. Imagine my shock when I saw a huntsman gripping its hairy legs on the window!

Huntsmen are cool though. Scuttle when trying to catch them which is annoying but won't kill you or anything.

I get them in my bedroom a bunch. The house is right next to some bushland conservation area and I have a window. I have to remember to turn the lights on at night in the hallway so I don't accidentally grope one in the darkness while trying to go to bed.

What in the actual fuck!! I would wreck that car then set that shit on fire

Grassy

The fuckers can get pretty big, and inside your house...somehow...

2ujmrnkpfkk8.jpg

Thankfully Huntsman spiders are harmless. They look intimidating as fuck though when you come across one. I got in my car to drive home from work one day and there was one hiding in between the furthest left side of my car door and where it comes together with the car, near the hinge. Scuttled INTO a hole in the car door. Suffice to say I was nervous the entire trip home. Get home, get out of car and the fucker was on the roof. How he got there still stumps me to this day.

Years ago my mate had a big hunstman living in his car, and I swear it was there for months on end. I don't know if it left his car when it was in his garage to feed or whatever and kept coming back, but at least 3-4 times while cruising along with a couple of carloads of people, you'd see his car violently swerve to the kerb and everyone would jump the hell out because the spider would pop out while they were driving. Hilarious.

Time to brick that shit up :p

gotoadgo

God you guys are babies. These things are everywhere here in Australia and are completely harmless. You also realise that there is footage of BEARS walking around neighbourhoods in America right? I'd rather this guy than a fucking bear.

Ozorov

God you guys are babies. These things are everywhere here in Australia and are completely harmless. You also realise that there is footage of BEARS walking around neighbourhoods in America right? I'd rather this guy than a fucking bear.
nope, rather bear. I would die of heartattack of this but vs a bear I have a slim chance of surviving.

Spiders "everywhere" vs 2 bear sightings a year. Nah

plufim

Huntsmans are harmless but they terrify my wife if they get close. Once I was reversing our car out of a carpark and spiderdude scuttled over the car window. She just noped right out the car door while we were moving.

I've had them scuttle over the windscreen a few more times since, fortunately just me in the car. Startles the fuck out of me. If you park under a tree in Australia there's a good chance one of these will be on your car

The real fuckers are red backs.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redback_spider

I regularly have these fuckers in my backyard. Have to make sure my son puts his sandpit trucks away every night or one will set up a web in it.

GaryD

Some girls at work found one nearly that big once at a party. I went to kill it and they told me it wasn't humane. So I picked it up to throw it out the window, and the little cunt bit me as I was throwing him. For the rest of the night I was sweating thinking, I really hope that was just a Huntsman.

Stasis

I get it. Insects are potentially dangerous and move in strange ways.

How are any of you going to leave your cocoons (heh)? Like, you'll never visit South America, Australia, Africa, even the Southern USA in some areas?

You're looking at large harmless (other than an irritating bite) spiders and wigging out. A very large percentage of you. When you see a normal brown/black house spider do you panic and kill it with a huge wad of paper towel? They can't even hurt.

I understand phobias. True phobias. But the vast majority of you do NOT have that. I taught my gf to tolerate spiders. She lets them be. She even likes jumpers now and will pick them up. She hated spiders before. I mean, she won't pick up a large orbweaver from our garden (still harmless) but she will water and trim around it.

When we go to Costa Rica etc she'll just have me walk in front of her and point things out. These things are very interesting and aside from a few dangerous species most are simply beneficial to us.

"Hahaha, a spider thread!" he said, fully aware of his own crippling spider fear. "I've seen big spiders before, whatcha got?" Brave words. Brave words covering a pit of fear. Suddenly, as the picture loads, he hears a high-pitched scream. Confused, it is but a moment before he realizes the scream is coming from his own mouth. NeoGold has reached peak fear.

This post is my idea of hell. Where do you live? I must avoid it at all cost.

Callego

This post is my idea of hell. Where do you live? I must avoid it at all cost.
Perth, Western Australia. It's a nice place though! Don't let me discourage anyone from coming here.
I'm not sure how true it really is but I'm often told Perth is the most isolated major city on the planet. In some places if you drive 5 hours from the city, you'll end up in the next city. In Perth, if you drive 5 hours away, you'll be 5 hours away from THE city :p

We have a good amount of trees and bushland so I'm sure there's more wildlife here than many other major cities. Who knows how many spiders there are in King's Park (bigger than Central Park in New York).

takriel

Thankfully Huntsman spiders are harmless. They look intimidating as fuck though when you come across one. I got in my car to drive home from work one day and there was one hiding in between the furthest left side of my car door and where it comes together with the car, near the hinge. Scuttled INTO a hole in the car door. Suffice to say I was nervous the entire trip home. Get home, get out of car and the fucker was on the roof. How he got there still stumps me to this day.
So it's come to this now. They've mastered teleportation. Nobody is safe anymore.

Top Bottom