• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant spider traps terrified family inside their home

Ban Puncher

Spiders are so kawaii~

gKEgifi.gif

God you guys are babies. These things are everywhere here in Australia and are completely harmless. You also realise that there is footage of BEARS walking around neighbourhoods in America right? I'd rather this guy than a fucking bear.
As someone who lives in a area where there have been both bear and coyote sightings in the neighborhoods, I'd take both of them walking around our streets over that giant ass thing being in my home.

Huntsman Spiders aren't usually ever aggressive, that being said they can bite, my brother found that out the hard way when one smaller one dropped from the ceiling on to him while he was in bed and bit him on the leg, he said it felt like a wasp sting. They aren't venomous so they're not much of a worry they just creep you out.

Also one time when I was a teen staying at my Grandma's with my Uncle & Aunty they woke up one morning and went to get my cousin out of the cot (toddler at the time) and after picking up my cousin they saw a Huntsman slightly smaller than the one in the OP laying on the mattress, My cousin was fine with no bites and the spider was apparently pretty chill but it had been sleeping underneath my cousin for probably at least half the night.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
That one's a good size in the OP. You usually only see that size out in the country where they really need to be that big.

velociraptor

I really would like to go to Australia as it would be far better for my career, but sweet jeebus, these spiders and insects give me nightmares :'(

PR_rambo

Banned
Evacuate the entire island and then nuke it from orbit. Do this for future generations.

God you guys are babies. These things are everywhere here in Australia and are completely harmless. You also realise that there is footage of BEARS walking around neighbourhoods in America right? I'd rather this guy than a fucking bear.
Yo out bears drink beer, or come out to seek employment. Rather deal with them than you're fucking kaiju spiders

Memory

I don't understand why they have not sold the house and moved yet. Its like those horror movies when they know here is something wrong but they stay anyway.

Also lol at the cat sacrifice. I'm actually concerned that the cat looks like its nothing new and is totally disinterested. My cat would be trying to fight it lol.

Jmille99

DO NOT NUKE! Havent you all played Fallout? You nuke that country and suddenly we will have spiders the size of SUVs and shit.

I hate how these pictures make it look larger than they really are. Dinner plate? A mans hand? I thought it was roughly dog sized with that picture.

Preezy

Would you rather fight a bear-sized spider or a spider-sized bear?

Reminds me of a waitbutwhy article where he says most people would be happy to hold a gerbil, but if you then told them that the gerbil had the brain of a spider they wouldn't want to hold it. There's something primal and alien about spiders, the ultimate terror.

Lol you're the baby, bears are adorable.

Hjod

Banned
Would you rather fight a bear-sized spider or a spider-sized bear?

Reminds me of a waitbutwhy article where he says most people would be happy to hold a gerbil, but if you then told them that the gerbil had the brain of a spider they wouldn't want to hold it. There's something primal and alien about spiders, the ultimate terror.

Lol, I read your post and as soon as I read spider brain I didn't want to hold a gerbil ever again. What the hell.

Culex

Banned
I remember reading about this family that bought their dream home in the US, maybe a few years ago. Turned out the previous owners were trying to sell the house ASAP and not disclose the insane spider infestation they had. The new owners found the house to be "oozing spiders from the walls". They ended up suing the previous owners...wonder how that story concluded?

Hissing Sid

Christ that's a no!

With all these pictures of giant spiders I'm having real difficulty scrolling this thread on my phone.

Nowhere to put mah fingurs!

Way back when, I had a room mate who was into tarantulas and shit. He bought a big hairy fucking thing and kept it in a tank in our room. The tank was about six feet away from my bed....

....I used to lie awake at night listening to the monster tapping on the glass, methodically probing for weaknesses in its prison. Patiently biding it's time and cunningly engineering my heart attack.

Ugh. My mate knew I was scared shitless of the damn things and thought it was very funny. Cunt!

I used to wait until he was asleep and then put half a dozen hardback books on the tank lid.

Better safe than spider.

My wife is the Spider Wrangler in this house. I jump onto furniture with the kids as soon as the spiddy alarm is raised.

Orrible fucking things.

Crema

Pretty sure huntsman spiders aren't even among the top 50 most dangerous animals in Australia.

Well they wouldn't be in the 50 most dangerous animals in any country. They are harmless and very shy. I got bitten once carrying one outside and it's less painful than being bitten by a fly.

Rogan

Banned
The video in the article at the bottom of the huntsman eggs hatching and then the giant spider coming into view and scurrying off.

Legit chills, if I saw that I would leave the house and never come back.

I was watching that part with a co-worker, we both got legit chills and felt very uncomfortable.

Preezy

Well they wouldn't be in the 50 most dangerous animals in any country. They are harmless and very shy. I got bitten once carrying one outside and it's less painful than being bitten by a fly.
Bitten by a fly? Wtf kind of flies do you have in your country?

Man I love living in the UK, scariest things we have are the lower classes, and they can be easily avoided or distracted with massive sofas and sportswear.

Dead Man

Bitten by a fly? Wtf kind of flies do you have in your country?

Man I love living in the UK, scariest things we have are the lower classes, and they can be easily avoided or distracted with massive sofas and sportswear.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse-fly

Both males and females engage in nectar feeding, but in addition to this, females of most species are anautogenous, meaning they require a blood meal before they are able to reproduce effectively. To obtain the blood, the females bite animals, including humans, while the males are harmless. It takes the female about six days to fully digest its blood meal and after that it needs to find another host.[3] It seems that the flies are attracted to a potential victim by its movement, warmth, and surface texture, and by the carbon dioxide it breathes out.[28] The flies mainly choose large mammals such as cattle, horses, camels, and deer, but few are species specific. They have also been observed feeding on smaller mammals, birds, lizards and turtles, and even on animals that have recently died. Because their bite is irritating to the victim, they are often brushed off, and may have to visit multiple hosts to obtain sufficient blood. This behaviour means that they may carry disease-causing organisms from one host to another.[12]
Tabanus mouthparts: the sharp cutting stylets are on the right, the spongelike lapping part in the centre.

The mouthparts of females are of the usual Dipteran form and consist of a bundle of six chitinous stylets that, together with a fold of the fleshy labium, form the proboscis. On either side of these are two maxillary palps. When the insect lands on an animal it grips the surface with its clawed feet, the labium is retracted, the head is thrust downwards and the stylets slice into the flesh. Some of these have sawing edges and muscles can move them from side-to-side to enlarge the wound. Saliva containing anticoagulant is injected into the wound to prevent clotting.[28][29][30] The blood that flows from the wound is lapped up by another mouthpart which functions as a sponge.[31] Horse-fly bites can be painful for a day or more; fly saliva may provoke allergic reactions such as hives and difficulty with breathing. Tabanid bites can make life outdoors unpleasant for humans, and can reduce milk output in cattle. They are attracted by reflections from water which are polarized,[32] making them a particular nuisance near swimming pools. Since tabanids prefer to be in sunshine, they normally avoid shaded places such as barns, and are inactive at night.[28]

Top Bottom