• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Eater Developers Talk Western Launch & More

cj_iwakura

I'm so glad companies are bringing niche games like these over to the states that I couldn't care less about the dubs. I'd rather have them in poor English translations with horrible VO than not play them at all.

Right. With attitudes like the kind in this thread, it's a wonder we get anything localized at all.

Mentok

Banned
Wow people really aren't going to buy it because it's English dub only?

No mention on if it's both games in one physical release, but I'll be there day 1.

Hubb

Why do people think localizers are making us a favor? It's their job.
Get good ones if you want me to support your products.

It isn't them doing us a favor, it is taking a risk. If all these localizers see online is hate for anything that doesn't have JP dubs, then it seems a fair question to ask why'd they take the risk.

Whether you like them or not, I remember reading that having English dubs increased sales vs not having them/only have JP dubs.

Games with dubs usually sell more, yeah. People have different preferences and some people only like JP VA. Localizers know this and by going dub only they make a conscious, cost-saving decision that it's okay to not cater to those people. Just as those people can make a conscious, cost-saving decision to not buy the game, or get it much later in a sale. There are enough other options. None of this will significantly impact the success of the game here.

There's really no reason to be a dick to anyone because of their preferences or feel superior because you like both or don't care.

I'm a bit bummed by it but I'll get over it and still buy it whenever it comes out. But it's still unfortunate. I'd never buy a movie if it only contained one localized VO track, it's standard to have options. Same for games that only had German VO for example. I actively avoid those. It's really not that weird to feel strongly about VO language.

I think it's time publishers at least offered original VA as paid DLC or something.

I really do not understand not buying a game because it lacks Japanese VO, especially if you understand what securing Japanese VO can mean. Oftentimes the cost of licensing the Japanese VO can be more than doing an English dub, because of the nature of the Japanese voice acting industry. Also, most modern dubs are at least serviceable. I've honestly never heard a dub so bad that I couldn't play or enjoy the game (Edit: In the last 5 years or so. I'm not taking about dubs like Chaos Wars). I will buy God Eater 2 when it releases over here because I love Japanese games and want to see as many of them get localized as possible, and I urge you all to do the same if you care about Japanese releases in the west.

I really do not understand not buying a game because it lacks Japanese VO, especially if you understand what securing Japanese VO can mean. Oftentimes the cost of licensing the Japanese VO can be more than doing an English dub, because of the nature of the Japanese voice acting industry. Also, most modern dubs are at least serviceable. I've honestly never heard a dub so bad that I couldn't play or enjoy the game (Edit: In the last 5 years or so. I'm not taking about dubs like Chaos Wars). I will buy God Eater 2 when it releases over here because I love Japanese games and want to see as many of them get localized as possible, and I urge you all to do the same if you care about Japanese releases in the west.
I don't even care about the voice acting in this game, but people should buy the game if they want to play it. If the lack of Japanese voice work makes them disinterested, who you are to tell people that they should spend their money on it anyway?

raven777

I don't even care about the voice acting in this game, but people should buy the game if they want to play it. If the lack of Japanese voice work makes them disinterested, who you are to tell people that they should spend their money on it anyway?

This. For some people, it's a deal breaker and important enough to decide the purchase of the game.

Corpekata

Banned
I was going to suggest it's not like there's bad dubs very often these days but the previous page reminded me of FF Type 0.

Will still take a dub over nothing, save maybe in games that are incredibly story oriented and they voiced characters like Barney the Dinosaur or something.

Fair enough, they have the right to spend their money the way they want. It is more the mind set of 'I really want this game but if it doesn't have Japanese voices I won't buy it'. Like, do you really want to play the game that badly then? I just find it bizarre to not purchase a game based on something that is so small to the overall experience, when you are otherwise very interested in the title. But people are entitled to their opinions I suppose. I just don't get it, seems like such a superfluous thing to prevent you from buying a game you would otherwise want.

Yasumi

Banned
I'm fine with dub only, the one in Burst was perfectly solid.

When people talk about the dub lacking quality, do they mean characters like Dr. Sakaki talking like a stilted weirdo? Because that's exactly what he sounds like in Japanese too. The only performance I could really kind of fault was Kanon for not sounding enough like a yandere psycho when you get in her line of fire.

I'm a massive weeb, import stuff all the time, but if you're refusing to buy a game for a feature that's really only background noise in the case you don't understand it (and if you do, you have to deal with speech/text dissonance), you're only really hurting the chance of future localizations. I'd be able to get by, a lot of other people wouldn't. Get over yourselves.

fertygo

Fair enough, they have the right to spend their money the way they want. It is more the mind set of 'I really want this game but if it doesn't have Japanese voices I won't buy it'. Like, do you really want to play the game that badly then? I just find it bizarre to not purchase a game based on something that is so small to the overall experience, when you are otherwise very interested in the title. But people are entitled to their opinions I suppose. I just don't get it, seems like such a superfluous thing to prevent you from buying a game you would otherwise want.

Its very anime-ish game and the audience is most likely anime follower too, I really can understand if they attached to a lot of popular seiyuus (VA) that will not featured in this release. Its actually one of its appeal point.

People should be glad this is coming at all. I would also like the Japanese VO but I can understand if there is no money in the budget for it being brought to the West. The last game it came out on in the West was on a dead platform so I can understand if they don't want to go full guns blazing. At least we're getting physicals of these games.

EDIT: well the physical edition aspect is still up in the air but I have a good feeling on this being it is also for PS4.

People should be glad this is coming at all. I would also like the Japanese VO but I can understand if there is no money in the budget for it being brought to the West. The last game it came out on in the West was on a dead platform so I can understand if they don't want to go full guns blazing. At least we're getting physicals of these games.
But they are going guns blazing, that's why there is a dub.
Look at Digimon as a comparison, it'll only have JP dub and English subs. That's a super low key release, and many people prefer it that way. Yet looking around the net, you find the same number of complaints. Having both is the only way to please everyone.

Its very anime-ish game and the audience is most likely anime follower too, I really can understand if they attached to a lot of popular seiyuus (VA) that will not featured in this release. Its actually one of its appeal point.
I am also a big anime fan and I do understand the appeal of certain seiyuu and enjoying their performances. However, I also understand the difficulty that can arise when trying to secure Japanese VO for a game released in the west. I'm not saying the Japanese VO isn't valuable; honestly I would prefer dual audio over dub only for every game, who wouldn't? Still, I recognize that dual audio is not possible for every title, and I value western releases of Japanese titles enough to support them and be realistic about what to expect from them.

fertygo

Shame not even modder can fix this for Steam release because there's no option to rip PS4/V audio right now.

Oh well, gotta deal with it.

raven777

Shame not even modder can fix this for Steam release because there's no option to rip PS4/V audio right now.

Oh well, gotta deal with it.

Hopefully they release the Japanese version on Steam in Japan as well, so this could be possible.

But yea I don't think they will release Japanese version on steam...Steam releases seem specifically focused on western market...

Shizuka

I'd never refrain myself from buying a game because it's dub-only or sub-only, some for if it's physical or DD-only. You lose out on a lot of great games if you choose to have arbitrary limitations to your library.

GHound

Yoshimura: It’s just going to be pure English.
I'm just going to be playing other games then. Lots of games, no reason for me to fuss about the ones that release in sub-optimal conditions. Also no reason for me to buy them.

pooptest

Right. With attitudes like the kind in this thread, it's a wonder we get anything localized at all.

I really give 0 craps how the dub turns out. I've been waiting extremely patient for this game to be localized.

Based Namco, albeit a couple years late...

Jenny

Banned
I don't care for Japanese VA's at all and always prefer dubs so this news just confirms it'll have a dub and that's good news to me, though of course shame that others don't have a choice to use their preference.

Off topic but.. Bandai Namco had a survey recently asking if you'd want English dubs for the next SAO game so, they're considering it.

Do you happen to have a link for that survey or no if its still open? I'm a huge SAO fan and loved the games/anime but was deeply saddened by no dub for both games and if there's any way to increase the chance of a dub for future games I'd love to let my voice be heard ^_^

sensui-tomo

Again the reason i post about the voice thing is to inform people that it isnt easy to "Just have both VAs" done. Japanese Voice actors/actresses get paid alot of money and have messy contracts that sometimes wont allow overseas to get said performance or require more money than it would be to hire 2 western voice actors/actresses at their salary here . Remember Western VAs get paid very very shitty unless they are the top dogs... and even then its due to motion capture work they do that they may get paid more.

I just want people who want to play this game, to buy it and show support for the series and that there are fans here who want the series to thrive. (i'm a gundam fan... so i've known disappointment for a long time)

Hikami

Do you happen to have a link for that survey or no if its still open? I'm a huge SAO fan and loved the games/anime but was deeply saddened by no dub for both games and if there's any way to increase the chance of a dub for future games I'd love to let my voice be heard ^_^
Yep, should still be up: https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoEU/status/679328050471960577

You have to select 'Yes' when it asks if you've played Lost Song otherwise the survey will just end there.

Jenny

Banned
Yep, should still be up: https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoEU/status/679328050471960577

You have to select 'Yes' when it asks if you've played Lost Song otherwise the survey will just end there.

Thanks a bunch! Just spent a few minutes filling it out and also put a comment regarding the lack of English VA's in the currently released games being disappointing when it asked if I had any comments pertaining to the localization of the game, I figure any little bit helps ^_^

Tizoc

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.gif

I'm buying them anyway but this game needed japanese dub more than almost any other game ._.
Thank goodness for steam and mods eh ;)
Ill give the eng voices a chance tho it might be good

ReaperXL7

There's the PSP games. But I kind of doubt anyone will be motivated enough to do the work.

As was mentioned already there are no psp versions of Rage burst or Resurrection. I guess you could use the burst vo for Resurrection but I'm not sure if they added anything to it.

Trying to parse the logic of people refusing to buy a game they are otherwise interested in because of its lack of Japanese voices if what I imagine trying to understand alien thoughts would feel like.

fertygo

Thank goodness for steam and mods eh ;)
Ill give the eng voices a chance tho it might be good

read my post, no one can do it atm because PS4/PSV not hacked yet to be able ripping the voice.

Unvoiced VN like Hollow Ataraxia not getting audio mod yet despite there's vita port that adding VAs for same reason.

Jenny

Banned
Trying to parse the logic of people refusing to buy a game they are otherwise interested in because of its lack of Japanese voices if what I imagine trying to understand alien thoughts would feel like.

I'm certainly not going to tell someone to buy or not buy something if a feature or anything else like this is a deal breaker as I know video games are a luxury and everyone is free to like what they like but I can't help but wonder if the situation was reversed and it was sub only and dub fans were saying no dub,no buy how badly those fans would get attacked for having that opinion. My history of viewing other sites it seems like its only okay to pass on something if it doesn't have jpn VA but if you pass because of no dub then your free range to get attacked.

ReaperXL7

I'm certainly not going to tell someone to buy or not buy something if a feature or anything else like this is a deal breaker as I know video games are a luxury and everyone is free to like what they like but I can't help but wonder if the situation was reversed and it was sub only and dub fans were saying no dub how badly those fans would get attacked for having that opinion. My history of viewing other sites it seems like its only okay to pass on something if it doesn't have jpn VA but if you pass because of no dub then your free range to get attacked.

In my case I really like God Eater and up until a few days ago it didn't seem like we would ever get another one so if this is how Namco wants to release it then I have no issue especially because they aren't doing anything gross on the business side of things. So Sub, or Dub I would have gotten it regardless, not to mention the fact that if you want the Japanese VO that badly you could have bought the game for awhile now.

I said it before but it wouldn't be surprising to me if Namco was hiring the actors that will voice the U.S version of the God Eater Anime.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

Oh well, hell! Oh glorious of localization Gods! Thank you! Here is my money!

Nah, it doesn't work like that.

So many games, so little time. So people have standards that determine where their money will go and if games don't meet them, even niche ones that they waited for, they don't buy them.

I wouldn't blame a person for passing on a game if it lacked a dub either. It goes both ways. It's just a product. It's not on a pedestal that we're lucky to gaze at. We're not "lucky." Namco thinks they can make some money. Simple as that.

Stuart444

Just remember this. They are dubbing this and not Digimon Story. (which have it's fair share of "no EN dub, no buy" people)

They have more faith in God Eater than they do in Digimon. (like someone else said, EN dubs usually sell better)

Still I hope people buy this and it sells well so future GE games come over here.

Jenny

Banned
Just remember this. They are dubbing this and not Digimon Story. (which have it's fair share of "no EN dub, no buy" people)

They have more faith in God Eater than they do in Digimon. (like someone else said, EN dubs usually sell better)

Still I hope people buy this and it sells well so future GE games come over here.

Thanks for reminding me T_T still sad but will get it one day but probably at a sale price, have a large backlog too, just thankful for niche games being localized anyway I can get them.

Though I think a huge reason has to do with that Digimon would require a lot more dub work/be more expensive to dub and its probably easier/safer to dub God Eater instead plus like someone else has mentioned that it could be a tie in with a dub cast that could be dubbing the anime as well.

This, as well as not buying a game if it's not physical.

If you only have a passing interest in the series, then fine.

But then you have people who say they were really looking forward to the game for a long time, but refuses to buy it because of no Japanese/English dub/Physical- Like, which is more important?

Again the reason i post about the voice thing is to inform people that it isnt easy to "Just have both VAs" done. Japanese Voice actors/actresses get paid alot of money and have messy contracts that sometimes wont allow overseas to get said performance or require more money than it would be to hire 2 western voice actors/actresses at their salary here . Remember Western VAs get paid very very shitty unless they are the top dogs... and even then its due to motion capture work they do that they may get paid more.

I just want people who want to play this game, to buy it and show support for the series and that there are fans here who want the series to thrive. (i'm a gundam fan... so i've known disappointment for a long time)
Why should I support them releasing the game in a state I do not like?

That's like saying I'm going to protest against Wal-Mart being in my town by buying things from them.

I'm not going to kiss ass and accept anything just because they're bringing it over.

Ascheroth

I shall hold on to the small sliver of hope that the Steam version will be dual audio considering this is a playstation interview.

That said, english dub only is not exactly a deal breaker for me, but it does diminish my interest quite a bit. Doesn't help that I already have more then enough to play for 2016.

We'll see.

Kudo

I shall hold on to the small sliver of hope that the Steam version will be dual audio considering this is a playstation interview.

That said, english dub only is not exactly a deal breaker for me, but it does diminish my interest quite a bit. Doesn't help that I already have more then enough to play for 2016.

We'll see.

I don't think there would be any reason the Steam version would have dual audio and the PS4 not.

And like people have said before why would someone support the release if it's Eng dub only even if they like the game. So that we can get the possible sequels with Eng dub only too?
Each to their own, I'm sure the people who don't mind English dubs will have a blast but to some of us it's just too much to deal with, and I'm not going to act happy and support the game if the game is not the one I wanted it to be.

These conversations always go both ways, there's crowd for Dubs and Subs and like YinGaruga said you can only please both with dual audio.

Why should I support them releasing the game in a state I do not like?

You mean a playable state? It's not like without a Japanese voice it becomes a buggy game.

And like people have said before why would someone support the release if it's Eng dub only even if they like the game. So that we can get the possible sequels with Eng dub only too?

Okay then don't support the game, that would get you a sequel with.... Not the game I guess.

Unless you buy ALL localized games, you're making decisions not to buy games for whatever reason all the time. For some people that reason is no JP VA and it's as valid as any other.

Unless you buy ALL localized games, you're making decisions not to buy games for whatever reason all the time. For some people that reason is no JP VA and it's as valid as any other.

People don't buy ALL localized games because people aren't interested in all localized games.

If you're not interested in this game, that's fine. Nothing to talk about.

But what I don't understand is when someone has been waiting years for a game to come over, but suddenly dropped all interested because it's in dub/sub/digital only? Like what is more important here?

sensui-tomo

People don't buy ALL localized games because people aren't interested in all localized games.

If you're not interested in this game, that's fine. Nothing to talk about.

But what I don't understand is when someone has been waiting years for a game to come over, but suddenly dropped all interested because it's in dub/sub/digital only? Like what is more important here?

Its especially bad when the same people later complain/whine when a future installment doesnt come out in the future due to bad sales. I can understand the digital only issue as in some locations people do have a download Cap which would restrict them from making a purchase. But this is just a preference thing with the dub/sub.

Wow people really aren't going to buy it because it's English dub only?

No mention on if it's both games in one physical release, but I'll be there day 1.

2 days ago people were super excited and saying stuff like "YEAH FINAALLY, AFTER SO LONG", now it's this. I see why companies sometimes would rather just not release the game at all. This kind of reaction from people that were supposedly super excited 2 days ago saddens me, specially when we haven't even heard ANYTHING whatsoever from the English cast... But oh well, everyone is entitled to spend their money how they want, and the only way to pass a point across in this industry really, is with our wallets. I'll still be there day 0. Hope to have some of you with me still.

Top Bottom