• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Eater Developers Talk Western Launch & More

Wow people really aren't going to buy it because it's English dub only?

No mention on if it's both games in one physical release, but I'll be there day 1.

If ? When was it said that we'll get 2 games in one release ?

I was always under the impression that we'll get the 2 games in separate releases during the year 2016

LAA

Yeah eng dub isn't a deal breaker to me. I did play the original in english, but I guess it's a little disappointing there is no jap dub. Maybe theres a possibility for a jap dub dlc similar to Danganronpa Another Episode? If not, still super excited as hell. Wanted this on Vita for so long.

If ? When was it said that we'll get 2 games in one release ?

I was always under the impression that we'll get the 2 games in separate releases during the year 2016
It's just speculation, but it's Summer 2016 for both games, and even releasing two separate full price GE games in the same year would be very stupid. On their website the game is simply listed as "God Eater", not as two separate products.

Whatever they do, I doubt it will be two full price titles. I'd be very surprised.

People don't buy ALL localized games because people aren't interested in all localized games.

If you're not interested in this game, that's fine. Nothing to talk about.

But what I don't understand is when someone has been waiting years for a game to come over, but suddenly dropped all interested because it's in dub/sub/digital only? Like what is more important here?

Because people were waiting for years for the game to be done right, and it's not done in a way that pleases them? It's like when games are ported to PC with 30FPS locks, no custom resolution(and resolutions capped to stupid stuff), no or terrible mouse/keyboard support. There's people who care about achievements and trophies, about post game content, about DLC and microtransactions and so on. People don't just want to play the game without regards of anything else. Otherwise they would just import the japanese version, it's not a Nintendo game there's no region lock to begin with.

I really dislike the announcement, but I'll still pick up the game, depending on when it releases and what I'm doing at the time, or I'll pick it up later on sale. However I don't get what's the point in arguing over the fact that people have certain expectations of games and when they're not met, they're disapointed enough to not buy it. You might not care about those things, but some people do care. It's up to the people porting the games to figure out if it's worth the cost to please these people or not, but it doesn't mean everyone should be happy and not complain. If the game sells ok but not great and there were a lot of complaints, maybe they'll make the next game dual audio instead. If no one complains, they'll just assume the game didn't sell well because there's not enough people interested.

Because people were waiting for years for the game to be done right, and it's not done in a way that pleases them? It's like when games are ported to PC with 30FPS locks, no custom resolution(and resolutions capped to stupid stuff), no or terrible mouse/keyboard support. There's people who care about achievements and trophies, about post game content, about DLC and microtransactions and so on. People don't just want to play the game without regards of anything else. Otherwise they would just import the japanese version, it's not a Nintendo game there's no region lock to begin with.

No, they don't import the Japanese version because they don't understand Japanese.

Niche Japanese games don't have the luxury of 'wait for the next time to get it right', if you don't prove to them that it's worth investing more into the fanbase it would be several more years till they try again.

I really dislike the announcement, but I'll still pick up the game, depending on when it releases and what I'm doing at the time, or I'll pick it up later on sale. However I don't get what's the point in arguing over the fact that people have certain expectations of games and when they're not met, they're disapointed enough to not buy it. You might not care about those things, but some people do care. It's up to the people porting the games to figure out if it's worth the cost to please these people or not, but it doesn't mean everyone should be happy and not complain. If the game sells ok but not great and there were a lot of complaints, maybe they'll make the next game dual audio instead. If no one complains, they'll just assume the game didn't sell well because there's not enough people interested.

That's one way of looking at it.

Alternatively, if it doesn't do well they have no reason to try again, but if it does do well they would have to pay attention to the fanbase now because it's something they could work with.

Seil

I would be less disappointed in this decision if not for the fact the Burst dub was mediocre at best. The Japanese audio was handled well from what I've seen for GE2, while we have no clue how the English dub will pan out and only the Burst dub to go off of with this series so far. Burst actually has me wishing I could disable voices during conversations, which is something I don't think I've ever tried to do before x.x it's not the worst thing out there but it's quite off-putting for me.

I've seen people say that the fact they're doing a dub means they care and are putting effort into it, but I feel like the lack of dual audio means just the opposite. It makes me fear they're going to cut corners with the quality of the dub to save cash. But that's just me making negative assumptions, but no more baseless than people that think the existence of a dub is a good sign, because again, Burst...

I'll be getting them regardless, but it's unfortunate when other niche titles like Ar Nosurge or Neptunia get dual audio options. Hell, I'd probably cave and pay for a Japanese audio DLC pack if it's anywhere near Burst's level lol... As much as I hate that kind of stuff, I'd prefer it over nothing.

I'm certainly not going to tell someone to buy or not buy something if a feature or anything else like this is a deal breaker as I know video games are a luxury and everyone is free to like what they like but I can't help but wonder if the situation was reversed and it was sub only and dub fans were saying no dub,no buy how badly those fans would get attacked for having that opinion. My history of viewing other sites it seems like its only okay to pass on something if it doesn't have jpn VA but if you pass because of no dub then your free range to get attacked.

I understand feeling disappointed if your language of choice isn't present. That said, as someone who vastly prefers dubs, I still own a ton of games which only have subs. To me, the underlying game is much more important than whether Japanese or English is coming out of peoples' mouths.

Refusing to buy a game that you're otherwise interested in solely because it doesn't have the voice acting of your choice simply reads like madness to me.

Seil

I understand feeling disappointed if your language of choice isn't present. That said, as someone who vastly prefers dubs, I still own a ton of games which only have subs. To me, the underlying game is much more important than whether Japanese or English is coming out of peoples' mouths.

Refusing to buy a game that you're otherwise interested in solely because it doesn't have the voice acting of your choice simply reads like madness to me.

Eh... I like to be able to enjoy the cutscenes in a game that has plenty of them. Burst's dub makes it impossible for me to go through any cutscene without feeling put off. We have no reason to believe this will end up any better, so I find it completely understandable that someone might opt to pass on spending money on a potentially subpar product. It'd be one thing if dubs often equaled their counterpart in quality, but that's often not the case, especially with more niche stuff like this.

While the gameplay is king with God Eater, it still makes a point to be more story focused than some entries in this genre, there's a lot of voiced dialogue and some would rather not worry about having cringeworthy dubs every time they start and finish a story mission. I'm still hoping they put some effort into it but I sadly won't be surprised if they don't.

Edit: For example, I'd certainly be pissed as hell if TLOU's voice acting wasn't good, considering the story and cinematics are the only thing I find remotely decent about that game haha.

If I'm given the choice of mediocre english dub or good native dub, I will pick the latter every time. I don't care if it's Japanese, German or what have you, I want conversations to actually flow naturally and emotion to fit the scene. Plus it's a bit upsetting when you've been waiting years for something and you get the impression it's being half assed. But again, who knows, the dub may actually be decent.

Rising_Hei

Not buying this because it doesn't have japanese VA it's pretty shameful imo, but the option would be very welcome, god eater's japanese dub is top notch.

fertygo

Not buying because doesn't had japanese VA is just as valid as any.

I'm still planning to buy, but shit they already force me out of my heavy preferences.. why its not justified if I'm not interested anymore?

Its definitely gonna affect my enjoyment, its up to me to decide its still worth the money or not.

Top Bottom