• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Granblue Fantasy: Relink | OT | It's been 8 long years...

On which platform will you be picking up the game?

• Total voters
Is their a tier list of characters for end game content yet? I want my end game to be optimal so I don't bog down the team when I play online.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I feel the game is far too easy, and the battles have too few tactical decisions to make. DPS is the only game in town. Buffs, debuffs, and healing seem pointless. This is missing that extra level of teamwork and strategy that MMOs and games like Monster Hunter incorporate. Battles are just too simplistic.

Oh well, the campaign was fun, and it is a well-crafted game otherwise. I'm glad I bought the disc, so now someone else can enjoy my copy.
Weapon, Sigil loadout, skill with a character/class, skill loadout, knowing when to slow/petrify/ or paralyze/glaciate(interrupt), coordinating Chain burst for either burst damage or to push phases, using Link time at the right moment for either extra DPS or to meet a DPS check, using elemental advantage for that 20% extra damage as well as knowing mechanics that get increasingly more varied and complex as difficulty increases offers more tactics and complexity then I feel most MMOs have on offer.

MH is more clunky and methodical in practice and uses a party wide 3 strikes and you are out system.

If you only played the short campaign you only really played 10% of what the game has to offer.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Can we dig deeper into this and look further?
tatsuhiro-satou-peek.gif

Weapon, Sigil loadout, skill with a character/class, skill loadout, knowing when to slow/petrify/ or paralyze/glaciate(interrupt), coordinating Chain burst for either burst damage or to push phases, using Link time at the right moment for either extra DPS or to meet a DPS check, using elemental advantage for that 20% extra damage as well as knowing mechanics that get increasingly more varied and complex as difficulty increases offers more tactics and complexity then I feel most MMOs have on offer.
None of this matters when every boss dies to simple tactics. It sounds good in theory, but only seems to apply to the absolute highest level of difficulty.

I have played more than just the campaign, of course, otherwise I wouldn’t have come to this conclusion.

somesang

I feel the game is far too easy, and the battles have too few tactical decisions to make. DPS is the only game in town. Buffs, debuffs, and healing seem pointless. This is missing that extra level of teamwork and strategy that MMOs and games like Monster Hunter incorporate. Battles are just too simplistic.

Oh well, the campaign was fun, and it is a well-crafted game otherwise. I'm glad I bought the disc, so now someone else can enjoy my copy.
Wait, you finished the campaign and you’re done?

Edit* whoops just saw your response above. Assuming you went through the harder difficulties for this impression?

Last edited:

NahaNago

Welp I mostly finished the game. Mostly just the campaign. I'll continue to grind out the characters. I really wish we had more towns to explore and had better interactions with more of the towns folk. I mostly just wanted more. This felt like the start of a grand adventure instead of the whole adventure.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Is this game worth it if you like story driven single player jrpgs?
I’m fairly early maybe 5 hours in, but I’d say no. It’s more of a hack n slash with just enough story to get you to the next mission. The focus is entirely on combat + quests + material farming/character growth.

Heck when the game starts you already have an airship and 6 party members. I don’t know if I’m supposed to know these characters from the mobile game or what. And all the character background comes from these flashback text sequences that you get at the quest vendor.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Is this game worth it if you like story driven single player jrpgs?
It was for me. I mostly wanted to play for the story and I enjoyed it.
I did spend like 10-15 hours on the post-game and that's fun too, but I would have been happy even if the story was all there was, as a fan of GranBlue.

This game is so popular on Steam among my friends wow

What are you guys thinking about it?
I think that if you have several friends who will play it with you, it's a must buy. If you are doing solo or with random people, it's a maybe. For me, the purchase price was worth just experiencing the game and having a lot of fun for a week. Although, I bought physical, so it wasn't a complete waste like it would be on Steam.

cormack12

Gold Member
This game is so popular on Steam among my friends wow

What are you guys thinking about it?
I'm a solo player and love it.

The game does an excellent job of running a few MMO style missions. You level up quickly, the AI are a joy and actually help.

Then you get to the endgame and quests and I've been matchmaking which is improving all the time as more people are on.

Everything Is quick, so it can be put on for half an hour or so and you still make progress.

Depends what type of games you like I guess

I’m fairly early maybe 5 hours in, but I’d say no. It’s more of a hack n slash with just enough story to get you to the next mission. The focus is entirely on combat + quests + material farming/character growth.

Heck when the game starts you already have an airship and 6 party members. I don’t know if I’m supposed to know these characters from the mobile game or what. And all the character background comes from these flashback text sequences that you get at the quest vendor.

That's why I'm waiting to buy this game, I'm disappointed it's not a Traditional JRPG.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
None of this matters when every boss dies to simple tactics.
If you hit the monster in MH enough with your stick it will die too. Relink just removes the usual bullshit that comes with every Hunt IMO.

But I think the game is more like PSO or Vindictus then MH. MH is a very different beast.

I'll say this much. Relink is gonna make FFXIV seem slow as hell.

Relink just removes the usual bullshit that comes with every Hunt IMO.
It’s been a while since I played MHW, but we used tactics like knocking down rocks, flooding areas, chopping off tails, setting traps, climbing on heads… the closest thing I have seen is breaking off armor parts (that have no collectible value?). In MHW, sometimes your goal was strictly to break off armor parts for crafting materials.

Also, food mattered! Team composition mattered! Knowing the land mattered! These tiny arenas with a few throwable barrels are nothing in comparison.

It still a fantastic game worth playing. Worth the asking price. It just isn’t worth playing more than a dozen hours after completing the campaign for me. I saw all there was to see.

I suspect the tedious method of matchmaking was enough to sway me away. Give me a job board where I can post a quest while I do other stuff, then ready the quest when we have a full party. The developers haven’t reached that level of skill yet, but maybe someday.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It’s been a while since I played MHW, but we used tactics like knocking down rocks, flooding areas, chopping off tails, setting traps, climbing on heads… the closest thing I have seen is breaking off armor parts (that have no collectible value?). In MHW, sometimes your goal was strictly to break off armor parts for crafting materials.
Breaking armor parts nets you mats you can only otherwise get through Treasure trade or meeting one of the 3 objectives and playing your cards right you can stun lock a boss using Link time, slows, paralysis, glaciate, Break, multiple chain bursts.
MH is just a much slower action game where food buffs, composition and knowing the map and the fight matters and the monsters are always a threat. And I've never found fighting MH endgame bosses that can 3 shot you like Alatreon to be that much fun. Just one long slog.

Relink gives you the opportunity to actually make your character just as threatening as the bosses and throws you right into the action.

MH has you spend half the game managing inventories or buff stacking with items that take 2.5 seconds to use which has never been fun to me. Not to mention the artificial difficulty with managing Stamina. Mega oof. Or playing Cat and Mouse with the monster when it's close to death.

If MH and Relink were Cars then MH is a Stick Shift and Relink is an Automatic.

I think I close finish the story mode, it such fun game with fun combat….and god the game is gorgeous!

Honestly it was worth the long wait.
Yeah, I've just finished Chapter 6, including that big boss fight, and I'll say that so far I'm thoroughly enjoying my time with it, probably more than Tales of Arise (it reminds me a bit of it graphics and combat wise :p).

Each character is so much fun to play with (I've mained a good portion of the game with Djetta, Charlotta and Io so far) and currently trying to level their masteries and switching between them while doing story missions and side-quests.

Anyway, I'll probably play the endgame as well since I want to see what leveled up characters with strong runes, weapons and max out mastery trees can really do.

Edit: I also wanted to add that I love how easy to navigate the menus and UI are; plus the super fast loading on PS5 is chef's kiss. Like I'm thoroughly impressed with what Cygames have done here with this console game release considering they're mostly known for mobile games.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Yeah, I've just finished Chapter 6, including that big boss fight, and I'll say that so far I'm thoroughly enjoying my time with it, probably more than Tales of Arise (it reminds me a bit of it graphics and combat wise :p).
Actually this game kind of remind me of Xenoblade, its action game but has very much MMO combat system and each character has quirky mechanic that makes them unique.
Each character is so much fun to play with (I've mained a good portion of the game with Djetta, Charlotta and Io so far) and currently trying to level their masteries and switching between them while doing story missions and side-quests.
As soon as I got recruit ticket I unlocked Narmaya and she became my main and she is very fun to play with different stance and parry....as main LS user in MH games, I'm very happy with her.

What I like about structure of this game, once I finish the main story and I can do quest mode bite size and still able to catch up with other big releases.....its god send for busy months like Feb and March.

Last edited:

KàIRóS

Almost 100 hours in and the game just threw a completely new Sigil that increases attack (5K+ :messenger_open_mouth:) but completely disables dodging and guarding, but my main is Lancelot and he can still dodge with normal attacks, I think this is going to be OP AF, man I love when a game throws you stuff to get creative on builds.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Actually this game kind of remind me of Xenoblade, its action game but has very much MMO combat system and each character has quirky mechanic that makes them unique.

As soon as I got recruit ticket I unlocked Narmaya and she became my main and she is very fun to play with different stance and parry....as main LS user in MH games, I'm very happy with her.
Parry is so good once you understand how to pull it off. Lots of characters all have their advanced techs. Io can hold Stargaze charges with dodge tech and Siegfried can pull off his buffed attacks after a dodge if you have to reposition. Lots of cool stuff.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Katalina Advanced Techniques for Infinite Ares mode. Guardian's Honor(One of Kat's signature sigils) and Quick Cooldown V give CD Reduction and and Ares Y combo reduces current CDs by 5% and using a DPS ability allows you to extend Ares for another combo. BUT you can also bypass this if you only do 6 Ares strikes instead of 7 and Do Combo 1 and have 0.4 seconds to do another Ares combo chain repeatedly.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
r4yVc5l.jpg

Having played Relink it made me realize it's a marriage between Bayonetta's level structure and gameplay, and Skies of Arcadia's theme, worldbuilding and sense of exploration and now I want a proper remake or sequel to that game :( I played it a bit last night on my old save file but it could really do with some modern quality of life updates.

zokie

Ver.1.0.5 Update Information​

The ver.1.0.5 update applies various changes listed below for the PlayStation® platform.
Players who have purchased the disc version are strongly encouraged to download and install this latest update.
*The Steam version update is planned to be released on Feb. 16 and will include separate changes.

Changes from Ver.1.0.4:​

・[Online] Adjusted matchmaking when Power Adjustment under Matchmaking Settings is set to On for the PS4® and PS5® versions.
・[Quests] Fixed a bug where rewards for breaking foe parts weren't properly awarded on the PS4® and PS5® versions.

Thank you for playing Granblue Fantasy: Relink!

Darchaos

Got all terminus weapons a couple of days ago, took some grinding but not to much. Fully uppgraded Percivals and working Vaseragas and got 3 more steps. Love the game, but it also makes me realise how fantastic Monster hunter is.

Anyway, I'll probably play the endgame as well since I want to see what leveled up characters with strong runes, weapons and max out mastery trees can really do.

Edit: I also wanted to add that I love how easy to navigate the menus and UI are; plus the super fast loading on PS5 is chef's kiss. Like I'm thoroughly impressed with what Cygames have done here with this console game release considering they're mostly known for mobile games.

Is it true this is only 1080p/60? If so that's a damn shame. Arise managed to do 1440p/60 and looked great. Are these graphics more demanding than Arise?

Danjin44

Is it true this is only 1080p/60? If so that's a damn shame. Arise managed to do 1440p/60 and looked great. Are these graphics more demanding than Arise?
Not only the some the maps in Relink is bigger but also in one of chapter you fight HUGE boss that even bigger than Fire Giant in Elden Ring.

I also like Relink visuals even more than Arise, not only it has better quality character animation but also the environments can like look like painted concept art come to life.

It runs at a solid 1080p 60fps with zero frame drops, which can't be said about Tales of Arise as it was dropping into the low 50s or even high 40s during intense fights (I've played both games on PS5). Additionally, as Danjin44 Danjin44 mentioned, there's a particular massive set piece in the game that outshines Tales of Arise in epicness. Regardless, what I'm trying to say is that the 1080p resolution in performance mode shouldn't discourage you from picking up the game. It's an excellent action RPG and, personally, I find it more enjoyable than Tales of Arise, which I also liked.

Last edited:
Big gameplay tip! I discovered this because I beat the campaign completely solo and then I tried his separate boss mission with an online party and this fight went completely different. I went back offline, tried an AI party, and it was the same as the online party. Then finally I went back to solo to make sure that what I noticed is legitimate. If you are struggling with the following boss:

maxresdefault.jpg

Fight him alone!

No really, seriously, take out all of your party members before going into battle with the guy, whether it's the second, third, fourth, etc. time fighting him. I know it sounds crazy, but I think the game devs put a little trick behind this one battle. His fight becomes significantly easier when just playing as one character with no party members, 1 v 1.

He doesn't spam his moves as much. He doesn't use his area moves as much because his AI is focused on just you. His moves are also slightly slower, more readable and more deliberate. Also, as a bonus his healthbar scales down to one character's attack power.

Going from a party to one player only, The fight changes from nonstop-spam raid boss to a fight more reminiscent of Vergil vs Dante or Raiden vs Sam.

Edit: His boss music even fits a 1 v 1 encounter:

Maybe that was a slight hint, maybe not, but it adds up.

Last edited:
Forgot to post here, but I finished the story over the weekend and done all the side quests up to that point and some post storyline content, too.

Overall a banger action RPG with a good story, top tier combat and characters.

I know there's still lots to do in the end game, but for now I'll call it quits as I have limited time and lots more awesome games to play on the horizon.

That said, I'll leave a few gifs here marked as spoilers with the very final moments from the main story since the whole scene was quite touching.

COzYtEP.gif

50GjNBk.gif

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
There will be more content to do incrementally in March/April/May anyway so there is no rush. The raid will probably have a new weapon to grind for, 2 new characters to level and grind out and whatever the May update is. Plus this game is pretty hard to put down with the amount of grinding you have to do for each character.

I got a similar build to the Unkillable Charlotta vid and it's very effective in cheesing/ignoring mechanics with her 2 big defensive abilities. Feels like cheating at times. Need to get Charlotta's Awakening Sigil, grind out for awakening Ascension weapons and then tackle Proud mode quests.

I'm eager to try out Tweyen since the roster of ranged characters is very low.

Can someone tell me if this individual was hacking or is there another form of power beyond 100 with maxed gear that I'm not aware of?

We were fighting the level 110 ice wolf and they decimated it in about slightly over 60 seconds and tanked all ice abilities(like they had zero effect on the person) including the one where you're supposed to hide behind the pillar.

My two 100s are strong, I've been playing this game quite a bit, and one of mine is just about maxed out(Percival), but it felt like this person clocked in a number of hours that would be impossible to achieve for that much power.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Forgot to post here, but I finished the story over the weekend and done all the side quests up to that point and some post storyline content, too.

Overall a banger action RPG with a good story, top tier combat and characters.

I know there's still lots to do in the end game, but for now I'll call it quits as I have limited time and lots more awesome games to play on the horizon.

That said, I'll leave a few gifs here marked as spoilers with the very final moments from the main story since the whole scene was quite touching.

COzYtEP.gif

50GjNBk.gif
I chose Gran for my playthrough but now you've got me wanting to do a second playthrough as Djeeta

Top Bottom