• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Granblue Fantasy: Relink | OT | It's been 8 long years...

On which platform will you be picking up the game?

• Total voters
I ended up finding my answer from earlier and found a couple of videos on youtube of people soloing campaign portions, so I bought the game.

I've played up to Chapter 5 solo and so far my rating of this game is hovering around an A to A-. It's been a while since a game has reminded me of Kingdom Hearts 2: Final Mix but this game manages to reach those highs when playing solo. I've also been mainly playing as Gran who's moveset reminds me of Sora.

There are so many benefits when playing solo: Actual challenge/strategy with the bosses and enemies, way less combat-chatter, much easier to read enemy movements, time dodges, parries, etc.

Gran has the perfect set of skills for solo play including a self heal, buffs, debuffs, stun attack, etc. I'm very pleased that the devs did this and allowed for this.

I send them a feedback. Hope for a button remap.
Same. I just decided to change it on the OS level with custom button assignments.

PanzerCute

JRPG devs actively HATE ME! almost All them suddenly decide release their game in Feb and March.

Who the FUUUUUUCK in marketing team decided to release P3 Reload and GB Relink so close to each other…..WHO!!!?
And Yakuza 8 last week, and FF7 in less than a month. And then Unicorn Overlord, Rise of Ronin and Dragons Dogma 2 in March.

This q1 is absolutely insane for fans of Japanese RPGs, surely one of the best ever.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Made it to Chapter 3 after farming stuff for a while. Game is a lot of fun, though I still think the bosses are too spongy.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Can anyone confirm whether you’re eventually be able to use more than 4 abilities in battle?
No but some characters can potentially use more then 4 depending on their mechanics. It's like Tales where you only select 4 special moves.

Narmaya for example with Transient is dependent on stance and either uses a Great Sword(blue stance) for ST slow burst damage or goes Darth Maul with a fast multi-hit aoe burst cleave(red stance).

Another example to a degree is Katalina where you have your normal versions but also your Ares Knight enhanced versions. Katalina in particular is also the only one that has 2 different Skybound Arts with the regular or Knight enhanced one.

Hoppa

No but some characters can potentially use more then 4 depending on their mechanics. It's like Tales where you only select 4 special moves.

Narmaya for example with Transient is dependent on stance and either uses a Great Sword(blue stance) for ST slow burst damage or goes Darth Maul with a fast multi-hit aoe burst cleave(red stance).

Another example to a degree is Katalina where you have your normal versions but also your Ares Knight enhanced versions. Katalina in particular is also the only one that has 2 different Skybound Arts with the regular or Knight enhanced one.
Oh right, thanks. Damn I forgot about Narmaya, I got Percival to get me through the ice stage but she's next though.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This may be the most "anime" game I've played in quite some time...

elbourreau

Finished the story mode in just slightly over 6 hours.
Tom Cruise What GIF

Chastten

Banned
Okay, took a break from Palworld and just played the first hour of this game. Loving it so far!

For those wondering about PC performance. I'm playing on a Ryzen 5 5600X with 32GB of 3600Mhz RAM and a Radeon RX6600XT. At 1440P, high settings, max textures, 60fps target, it runs pretty darn good. At the first start-up, the game immediately warns you that this game should be played with a controller, where it shows all mainstream controllers (Xbox, PS, Switch) and at least the Xbox controls work perfectly. Haven't tried the PS or Switch controller but I assume it'll be the same there as the game really is designed to be played with a controller.

Anyways, as this game is supposed to be pretty short, I'm hoping to finish it in 2 or 3 sittings this weekend, and then the rest of the month will be focussed on endgame grinding in this, Palworld and Tiny Tina's Wonderland!

PS5 version updated today to 1.0.4. I don’t know what has changed.

For those who asked, the “claim add-ons” screen still states that the game isn’t up-to-date. Whatever that means.

Wanted to say that the music is great as well, but I expected nothing less considering it was composed by Nobuo Uematsu. Here's a few that I've personally enjoyed listening to.

Battle themed ones:

The main theme that plays in both the title screen and when hovering over the game's icon on PS5 and another relaxing track.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
What is this code I got in game for since I bought it? Not sure what to use it for? DLC in the phone game or something ?

What is this code I got in game for since I bought it? Not sure what to use it for? DLC in the phone game or something ?
Do you mean this one? I think it's for the Granblue Gacha game on mobile/browser.

s-l1600.png

BTW, it's being sold for a pretty penny on ebay....

image.png

Last edited:
I found patch notes on Steam.

Changes from Ver. 1.0.3:

・[Battles] Fixed a bug where pressing the guard button in succession made it easier to trigger a perfect guard.

・[Quests] Fixed a rare bug where rewards weren't given when unlocking new quest difficulties.

・[Side Quests] Fixed a bug where rewards weren't given when playing on Ultimate difficulty.

・[Online] Fixed certain issues with matchmaking.

・[System] Introduced measures to mitigate bugs that are preventing the Steam version of the game from running properly. We are continuing to work diligently to address and fix the cause of these bugs.

・[Misc.] Various bug fixes

cormack12

Gold Member
Haven't ventured online yet. I'm kind of just playing through the campaign. Just reached chapter 8 and I think most of my characters are like level 32. With only three chapters left, even level 50 seems a way off.

Seems a bit low? When you play through the campaign again does it scale or will you just steamroller it?

Agree with jshackles jshackles though, some of the bosses could do with being a little less spongey. I am levelling my main party pretty evenly so maybe thats why im not level 60 or summat.

The sub seems to say online is pretty dead but I figure it will pick up when everyone hits campaign end level.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
No scaling. If you replay the campaign at level cap you will make the game trivial at low difficulties but the challenge goes up alongside enemy level if you bump up the story difficulty. And I believe the higher the difficulty the higher the enemy level, their HP, how much damage they deal and take alongside I think they have new mechanics/attacks not present in easier difficulties. Unless that's a quest mode thing.

Some cases the no scaling is helpful if you want to put the game on full assist and hand pick certain quests on repeat to farm for certain resources without having to do anything.

Do note that Assist modes only are usable up to Maniac or Extreme difficulties.

The hardest difficulties like Proud have Assist modes disabled.

Riposte

Should I skip side-quests if I don't want to be overleveled / overpowered while completing the main story?

Should I skip side-quests if I don't want to be overleveled / overpowered while completing the main story?
I don’t think it matters. I’m playing on hard difficulty. I’ve done every sidequest available, and maybe a dozen online quests. I’m at chapter 6 and the battles feel fair. If you are playing on normal difficulty, it’s probably too easy regardless of your level.

I do spread my master points and weapon upgrades around many characters, though. It may be different if you are just pumping everything into one character.

I actually got into multiplayer PS5 quests fairly easily today. Maybe the update fixed something? These are just the “novice” quests. I noticed some of the players were high level (70+) and scaled down, so they must be doing the “quick quest” thing. The battle feel a bit more fun with humans behind the controls.

The game overall seems to be more fun now. My characters have more abilities, and I am finally finding the materials to upgrade sigils and forge weapons. I also found a character that really fits my play style: Rackam. I unlocked Vaseraga and he is also a lot of fun. I have two tickets, but not sure who I will recruit next. I feel like I want a good earth character, as I don’t do very well with Eugen.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I do spread my master points and weapon upgrades around many characters, though. It may be different if you are just pumping everything into one character.
That I'm going to do that as well, I'm mostly gonna play this offline so I need to invest on my party members so I can do harder quests.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
My online buddies are swearing up and down that this is worth a buy, but it just looks so good damn Anime that it hurts.

If I loved Monster Hunter and all it's various mission outside of the story is this worth a buy to play with friends? I hated the story in MH, but I loved the mission grind outside of it.

Last edited:

zokie

Ver 1.0.4 Update Information​

The ver. 1.0.4 update applies various changes listed below. Players who have purchased the disc version are strongly encouraged to download and install this latest update.
*The distribution for the PS5®/PS4® Asia regional version will be on Feb 5.

Changes from Ver. 1.0.3:​

・[Battles] Fixed a bug where pressing the guard button in succession made it easier to trigger a perfect guard.
・[Quests] Fixed a rare bug where rewards weren't given when unlocking new quest difficulties.
・[Side Quests] Fixed a bug where rewards weren't given when playing on Ultimate difficulty.
・[Online] Fixed certain issues with matchmaking.
・[System] Introduced measures to mitigate bugs that are preventing the Steam version of the game from running properly. We are continuing to work diligently to address and fix the cause of these bugs.
・[Misc.] Various bug fixes.

About Missing Rewards:​

As mentioned above in the changes from ver. 1.0.3, players who were unable to get their rewards for unlocking new quest difficulties or clearing certain side quests may now collect them from Siero's Knickknack Shack. The affected rewards are as follows:
・Crewmate Card from unlocking new quest difficulties
・Reward items (excludes EXP, MSP, and rupies) for completing the side quest Save the Crustaceans
・Reward items (excludes EXP, MSP, and rupies) for completing the side quest Save the Crustaceans Rises
・Reward items (excludes EXP, MSP, and rupies) for completing the side quest Save the Crustaceans Finale
・Reward items (excludes EXP, MSP, and rupies) for completing the side quest A Lingering Regret
・Reward items (excludes EXP, MSP, and rupies) for completing the side quest Out of Serpentine Spite

Thank you for playing Granblue Fantasy: Relink!

cormack12

Gold Member
How does the online work? I went online before but how do you matchmake? I was still in my original party but couldn't see anyone else in town

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Got the game, but I don't know when I'll play it, currently busy with Ichiban and the boys.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
What’s everyone’s favorite party member so far? Just started this morning. I’m thinking I’ll go for Ferry or that midget samurai dude first, are either of them fun to play?

Last edited:
How does the online work? I went online before but how do you matchmake? I was still in my original party but couldn't see anyone else in town
When you go online, only people you have invited to your game will arrive in town. Either way, you go to the quest counter and undertake a quest. The game will search for party members to fill out your party after you (and any friends in your game) click ready.

What’s everyone’s favorite party member so far? Just started this morning. I’m thinking I’ll go for Ferry or that midget samurai dude first, are either of them fun to play?

I just recruited Yodarha this morning since I have been repeatedly fighting against a rock golem and it is weak to wind. I die a lot. He doesn’t seem to take hits very well.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Honestly I have both and am just pumping more time into this due to it being shorter to complete. 15-25 hours?

Persona 3 is what, 100+?

Seems like a no brainer to plow through this , finish P3, then roll into FF7 Rebirth.
That sounds about right. I’m at the start of the last chapter and have been pretty meticulous with exploration and quests, at about 25 hours or so. Probably could have ran through in about 15 if I focused on just story and B-lined to the objectives. I think I might try to 100% the game, not like trophy 100%, but everything in the journal and maxing characters/weapons etc. Probably going to take a couple of years lol.

envyzeal

not a fan of the visuals and VA, but Cagliostro is very fun to play. It’s my main character for some time now, lv 81 and putting some effort on endgame content

envyzeal

not a fan of the visuals and VA, but Cagliostro is very fun to play. It’s my main character for some time now, lv 81 and putting some effort on endgame content
Actually something very fun and that I wish they’d use more about Cagliostro’s voice acting is when she uses a lower pitched voice like Fantasmagoria and Special Arts (don’t really remember the name) and then suddenly change to a high loli pitch voice. It’s fun because you realize it’s a way older woman possessing a young body

Celcius

°Temp. member
My party is Katalina / Gran / Narmaya / Rosetta.
Currently at lv 76 and have 3 extreme quests left but they need me to be lv 85 to be reasonable. What's the fastest way to grind levels?

I've completed 6/8 of the quests Roland left undone so far... does anyone know how far into the post-game you have to get to rescue him?

I'm impressed they put so many quests in but at the same time it does get a bit tiring fighting the same few bosses again and again and again...

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Ohhhh, NOW I understand the post game. I’m playing with people online instead of my cpu party and I’m funneling all the gear and exp into my single main character instead of 4 characters and now it’s much easier.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Finally completed the post-game story, got Katalina to lv 100, have a million dollars, etc...
The gameplay is fantastic. I didn't expect there to be an online component in an non-MMO RPG but it works very well here.

Last edited:
Finally completed the post-game story, got Katalina to lv 100, have a million dollars, etc...
The gameplay is fantastic. I didn't expect there to be an online component in an non-MMO RPG but it works very well here.
If you like this gameplay loop, it’s pretty much built from the foundations of instanced party MMOs with quest boards. What comes to mind for me are games like Vindictus and Guild Wars but I’m sure there was a game that did it before they did.

Top Bottom