• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Granblue Fantasy: Relink | OT | It's been 8 long years...

On which platform will you be picking up the game?

• Total voters

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Beat the chapter 6 boss.

This is PEAK video games shit right here.

The game in so many ways is like FF16 but fixing a majority of that games issues. Plus throw in some Skies of Arcadia and White Knight Chronicles best parts.

The review average for this game is a fucking lie. What a banger.

Chastten

Banned
Just finished the campaign!

Anyone know that feeling, when you're watching or playing something, and it feels like it was made just for you? That's Relink for me. Everything just clicked with me. A short but sweet campaign with a story that gives you a wonderful sense of childlike adventure, a fast-paced and fluid combat system with some really awesome setpieces and boss encounters, kick-ass music, quick missions, no missable items. This is how you create a triple A game based on a mobile gacha franchise. Easily worth the €60 for me.

Also, 2 posts above someone mentions Skies of Arcadia and I wholeheartedly agree with that statement. The sense of adventure in this, even though it's a linear game, it very much like SoA. And yes, that bossfight in chapter 6 really reminded me of a certain SoA gigas encounter. Good stuff.

Finally got my copy. Will start playing it later today! :D

20240205_134138.jpg

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
My copy got stuck somewhere due to farmers blocking roads and distribution centres here in Europe. Now Amazon says delivery is next Friday...

Not that big of an issue since I have my hands more then full with Like a Dragon.

ssringo

8cjlGQz.png

Lot of fun bouncing off mofo's heads. I also rather like her English VA.

Really wish they let you practice with a character before unlocking them. I played the story with Katalina and while i liked her she also never  quite clicked for me. But I felt stuck with her because I invested in her mastery and weapons and getting someone else up to par seemed like I'd have to waste time grinding instead of getting through the story. And I was worried about unlocking someone and winding up wasting my pick on someone I didn't like playing so I didn't.

Last edited:

Arsic

Vane so far has been my go to. Can block while using your triangle button attacks? Self heal abilities? Full heal and full panacea with +50% attack and defense buff? Wide reach, gap closers, big damage, big HP, etc. Dude is nuts.

How long is the demo and how well does it represent the full game?
It’s essentially the first area of the game. It’s ripped straight out of the full game, so what you see is what you get.

Why can't I find an online game ffs.
If I set mine to any region and any level, I find a match after a few tries. I’ve done all the easy and normal quests this way.

I presume the online players with boxes for names are Japanese. Why on earth doesn’t a Japanese game display japanese characters? So bizarre.

Last edited:

ssringo

How long is the demo and how well does it represent the full game?
To add to what Shake Your Rump Shake Your Rump said, the only difference is you do NOT get all those characters to choose from immediately and it takes a while to be able to unlock all of them so it's well worth really trying out various characters in the demo to figure out who you want to unlock first as you can not test them in the full game prior to unlocking them. Here's who you get access to by default and everyone else needs to be unlocked.

Gran/Djeeta
Eugen
Io
Katalina
Rackam
Rosetta

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Just a heads up to people thinking about getting this game. It is a lot like FF16. IT IS NOT AN RPG. It's like a weird MMO raid instance/chip boss/ arena fighter???
It is RPG, you have your party and building your characters but the structure is similar to Ragnarok Odyssey.
71R9SntYwGL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Arsic

This game is white knight chronicles. That’s all you need to know. A prettier and more polished version of that in terms of gameplay and how the online functions.

cormack12

Gold Member
It’s essentially the first area of the game. It’s ripped straight out of the full game, so what you see is what you get.

If I set mine to any region and any level, I find a match after a few tries. I’ve done all the easy and normal quests this way.

I presume the online players with boxes for names are Japanese. Why on earth doesn’t a Japanese game display japanese characters? So bizarre.
I just get network error occurred

I was gonna grab this while I was running errands with the wife. Didn't look like Best Buy or Target carried it at all.
I may just get it digitally.

I'm glad I waited on to buy this. I wonder if Persona 3 Reload has the same issues

I guess I'm going to have to wait 2 to 3 years till there are mods out and by than I can get these games for super cheap. I'm not buying this at full price

Dropping this quote and response here since it's about GBF:R specifically.

I've made this capture on my PS5 at the beginning of the game and maybe what Penjo claims might be true regarding overall censorship in the game, but it's weird that you can see a glimpse of Lyria panties here (there's probably lots more instances similar to this one). Why not use similar garments as with Djetta (the one in the pink dress) to avoid this from happening? 🤔

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I was gonna grab this while I was running errands with the wife. Didn't look like Best Buy or Target carried it at all.
I may just get it digitally.
Word on the street is that the initial physical distribution in the US was super tiny and that they didn't exactly anticipate the demand. It is, however, still available on Amazon and most online retailers.

cormack12

Gold Member

I've made this capture on my PS5 at the beginning of the game and maybe what Penjo claims might be true regarding overall censorship in the game, but it's weird that you can see a glimpse of Lyria panties here (there's probably lots more instances similar to this one). Why not use similar garments as with Djetta (the one in the pink dress) to avoid this from happening? 🤔

7pxygf.jpg

So not really sure what to do now? I got to chapter 10 where you fight the big dragon and he wiped the squad twice and we didn't have enough dps to stop the cataclysm.

I've gone back and done all the quests I could up to normal. But I still can't uncap my weapon more or level it. It's at max. I went from Level 41 -> 50 but not sure if that's increased my stats any more.

ssringo

So not really sure what to do now? I got to chapter 10 where you fight the big dragon and he wiped the squad twice and we didn't have enough dps to stop the cataclysm.

I've gone back and done all the quests I could up to normal. But I still can't uncap my weapon more or level it. It's at max. I went from Level 41 -> 50 but not sure if that's increased my stats any more.
Do quick quests to get mastery points and pump up stats. If boosting the character you play isn't enough then do it for 2-4 characters you use in your party. Just don't do more than that or you spread yourself thin and wind up grinding way more than necessary. Doing quick quests in MP will make it much quicker and easier unless you keep getting awful teams.

Guilty_AI

The impression i get is that they only censored playable characters. I remember someone mentioning on the steam forums random npcs aren't censored either.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I went with Charlotta as my first unlock, she’s pretty awesome. Button mashing midget FTW! She has an attack boost, party defense boost, and counter attack move. She seems super useful so far.

RyanEvans21

Just a heads up to people thinking about getting this game. It is a lot like FF16. IT IS NOT AN RPG. It's like a weird MMO raid instance/chip boss/ arena fighter???
I think it still RPG. More like Monster Hunter not FF.

Lancelot so fun to play. :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:
I didn’t even think of that.
I went with Charlotta as my first unlock, she’s pretty awesome. Button mashing midget FTW! She has an attack boost, party defense boost, and counter attack move. She seems super useful so far.
she was initially going to be my first pick. But it seems that every character is just fun and awesome in some way.

I can’t play Io. It feels like she is always standing around waiting to get hit. I’m still doing well with Rackham, but I really want to recruit Charlotta. I’m just waiting until I finish the game before recruiting anyone else. I just finished chapter 9.

The campaign is pretty good, but I am ready for it to end so I can just get into doing whatever I want with whatever character I wish. I’ve done all the novice quests online and I’m ready for more. I’m glad that the story is “short”. It feels just about right.

ssringo

I can’t play Io. It feels like she is always standing around waiting to get hit.
There are 2 main facets to playing Io. First is using her quick cast passive so she's not rooted in place for too long. Any offensive spell gives her an orb charge (the gold orb that circles her) as does charging her X/Square attack. If you immediately charge her Y/Triangle attack after gaining an orb it will charge significantly faster. More gold orbs=higher charge level. Mix using an offensive skill with charging her X/Square to get charges and immediately go into a Y/Triangle for big damage. You don't need to charge to max every time. Charge what you have time for and let loose.

The second facet is using dodge cancels correctly to not drop her casting charge. As long as you're holding down the button to charge you can hit dodge and when you land you will continue charging from where you were before the dodge. So if you're charging a big attack and some dipshit mook is trying to sucker punch you you can hop out of the way and continue on.

Give it a try on the practice dummy on the Grandcypher. Her toolkit is quite suited for getting her casts off but it does take some getting used to.

She also makes good use of Quick Cooldown sigils so she can cast spells more often and not have to rely on charging X/Square to get orbs. The Low Profile sigil can help with not getting targeted so hard.

Edit: I guess all this is in that video as well...eh

Last edited:

Neolombax

Almost all the while playing through the main story of Relink, I find myself thinking this is FF16 with all the fat and boring bits trimmed out. Sure it's not as flashy as FF16, but the set pieces in Relink are really damn amazing. After about 15 hours or so, I completed the main story and while its straight up Shonen anime plot, it works for me.

My favorite thing about Relink is the progression system. I loved that the progression system is just casual enough for you to get through the main campaign, and once you enter the endgame, more opportunities to grind and progress open up. This was my main issue with FF16 in that apart from bounties, there's nothing to work towards. Relink has weapon progression, sigils to grind and work on, more quests after the final story chapter, and individual character progression (13 unique characters in total to work on).

I feel like I need to move on from my default campaign party to other interesting characters. Looking forward try out Percival and Siegfried as I main them in Versus.

Yamisan

Kinda sick how they sexualize Lyria on the loading screens. Dress is completely pulled up on one leg and reveals she doesn't wear panties.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
7pxygf.jpg

I'm pretty sure my weapon was at 75 at that point (and yes the damage increase is notisable), and i hadent done much online. I was playing on Hard mode and found that fight challenging and fun, but the diffcultly scales drastically afterwards as that's essentially the end of the main single player story bar a few bits later on, but you need to clear lots of online content to get to there.

What's characters are you using? And what's your average level? Are you mostly maxed on on mastery for your main character?

Might need to try grinding a little on the online quests to up your level or get the 75 weapon material.

Last edited:

I had heard the term “DPS check”, but never encountered such a thing in my life until this battle.

My party was around level 43 and I couldn’t beat it. I went back, maxed out Rackham’s and Io’s weapon to 75, completed every side quest, and hoped for the best. I had to activate several of Rackham’s damage skills and essentially unload during that point of the battle. It worked! Fortunately, it only happens once and the rest of the battle is relatively easy if you can stay alive.

This was some bullshit though. Even on hard difficulty, the rest of the game was easy.

Last edited:
Anyone know how experience is distributed? If I complete a side quest, does every character in your roster earn the exp or only the current party members?

tmlDan

Anyone know how experience is distributed? If I complete a side quest, does every character in your roster earn the exp or only the current party members?
Good question, cause i thought it was only my immediate party but i check my group and they're all the same level.

I feel like its some hybrid sysem cause they're not lvl 40 like my main party but they're lvl 30-35....so they get less experience, maybe?

Last edited:

Ok first of all they had to go and censor one of the other mains by giving her shorts underneath her skirt 🙄

I'll be waiting around 6 months to year to get this off a Steam Sale and by than mods that undo the censorship will likely be made for the game

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Current party gets more exp. Characters on the roster get less. They all get shared experience. Just serves to get them slightly better HP and ATK.

Most of your stuff comes from weapon, sigils and mastery points.

ssringo

Decided to install it on my Deck. Runs fairly well at 30fps with everything on default. More importantly though is I can use it to afk farm while I'm at work. Cut down on that mastery point and weapon leveling grind a bit!

I feel the game is far too easy, and the battles have too few tactical decisions to make. DPS is the only game in town. Buffs, debuffs, and healing seem pointless. This is missing that extra level of teamwork and strategy that MMOs and games like Monster Hunter incorporate. Battles are just too simplistic.

Oh well, the campaign was fun, and it is a well-crafted game otherwise. I'm glad I bought the disc, so now someone else can enjoy my copy.

Top Bottom