• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V [TRAILER #2] - Talk Thread

Quaz from B3D has said that the AA used in this trailer is exactly the same as the AA used in Max Payne 3 PS3, which is different from the AA used in the 360 version.

UrbanRats

Quaz from B3D has said that the AA used in this trailer is exactly the same as the AA used in Max Payne 3 PS3, which is different from the AA used in the 360 version.

That being? It has to be some blurry shit.
I think i'd probably take jaggies over blur, but i don't know.

Fjordson

I'm not sure if that's character switching, since I don't think that's one of the playable characters hanging on the sail. Looks like Michael's son.

That being? It has to be some blurry shit.
I think i'd probably take jaggies over blur, but i don't know.

He didn't mention what it was and DF's faceoff doesn't either. Here's what they had to say about it

To back this up, however, we do see differing implementations of anti-aliasing on each console, with the traditional multi-sample approach sidelined in favour of newer (but varying) post-processing methods. In a direct comparison, the resulting image quality on PS3 appears favourable in terms of overall sharpness and clarity, where an additional blurring to the 360 image seems evident on smaller, distant details. We see the rain splatter on the puddles of an early dock level lacking the same punch as a result, and, indoors, the outlines of cabinets and blinking computer lights are smudged over a touch. Simply put, the further into the distance you look, the less defined these details become.

When it comes to image quality, while the PS3 version offers a slightly sharper picture, the 360 does hold up some advantages that are more considerable to those on the bench, such as the effectiveness of its anti-aliasing, and the more flattering treatment of foliage elements.

Squire

Banned
Yeah, its his son.

Yeah, it's meant to correlate with the scene right before where Michael's shrink is asking if his son's a good kid. We see Mike a little steamed during the "bounce" interaction indicating that, no - he's not a good kid.

The chase could be a mission, but that specific scene looks like a straight up cutscene, possibly at the end of said chase.

UrbanRats

He didn't mention what it was and DF's faceoff doesn't either. Here's what they had to say about it

Oh shit, i preordered on 360 (although i have both consoles) because GTA4 and RDR were much better on it.
Might end up switching now, but i'll wait for more info on the subject.

360 has a customizable soundtrack, but ps3 has free online.

Collider

Banned
pc guys u are masta race no more

foggetaboudit

True, just like your avatar.
image.php

supersaw

I'm sure the game will be a lot of fun but from that trailer I can already smell shitty writing.

Can't they spend a couple of mil of their massive budget on some HBO writers?

MormaPope

Banned
I'm sure the game will be a lot of fun but from that trailer I can already smell shitty writing.

Can't they spend a couple of mil of their massive budget on some HBO writers?

I must say I completely disagree. There was some hammy ass stuff in GTA IV but since then Rockstar has written a lot of great dialog for it's characters. I don't know if judging a game's writing quality on a trailer will lead to anything conclusive.

supersaw

I must say I completely disagree. There was some hammy ass stuff in GTA IV but since then Rockstar has written a lot of great dialog for it's characters. I don't know if judging a game's writing quality on a trailer will lead to anything conclusive.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong, Red Dead definitely improved the writing quality but I distinctly remember watching Deadwood at the time to immerse myself in the Wild West theme and some of the lines in that game made me cringe when comparing it to the writing of a TV show like Deadwood.

When $100+ million is being spent I don't think it's unreasonable to expect emmy worthy writing. It doesn't all have to be serious either, Sopranos had some of the funniest lines I've ever heard in a TV show. I think that type of style of writing would perfectly suit the direction in which GTA has been going.

Fjordson

What was shitty in the trailer? Any writing present was so basic in order to introduce people to the characters and premise of the game. Hard to gauge the quality of the full game I think.

The one thing that I could see actually eliciting a subjective response from people would be the humour at the end. Where Michael introduces Franklin and Trevor, and then Trevor makes the comment about Michael's therapist. Not the single funniest joke in the history of mankind I suppose, but I thought the delivery of both characters was funny.

UrbanRats

I sincerely hope I'm wrong, Red Dead definitely improved the writing quality but I distinctly remember watching Deadwood at the time to immerse myself in the Wild West theme and some of the lines in that game made me cringe when comparing it to the writing of a TV show like Deadwood.

When $100+ million is being spent I don't think it's unreasonable to expect emmy worthy writing. It doesn't all have to be serious either, Sopranos had some of the funniest lines I've ever heard in a TV show. I think that type of style of writing would perfectly suit the direction in which GTA has been going.

Not gonna pretend Houser is a great writer, but comparing it to Deadwood is simply cruel.

MormaPope

Banned
Not gonna pretend Houser is a great writer, but comparing it to Deadwood is simply cruel.

You don't need to, he is.

Maybe it's just me I guess but his style doesn't really annoy me or belittle me. He's written character's in GTA IV for example that I can really relate to in real life.

Would David Chase and Vince Gilligan really be better videogame writers than Dan Houser? Writing for a videogame is much harder when in a videogame the characters are doing insane, outlandish things.

If David Chase and his writing crew had to write an episode of The Soprano's where Tony highjacks a train and kills 50 people, it would be an accomplishment in of itself if they could make a cohesive story behind why Tony is doing that.

I dunno, I believe the more videogame technology moves forward the more subtle and nuanced the writing will get.

Robot Pants

Recently played through The Ballad of Gay Tony today, and the line, "therapy has a lot to answer for", is spoken by Gay Tony towards the end.
Not sure if anyone remembers that or not - I sure didn't - but thought I'd mention it.

Socreges

Banned
I fucking loathe stories in games. Almost always. I don't lower the bar for stories and writing just because it's a different medium. That said, I've always been impressed by the writing in GTA and RDR. Really just the dialogue, though, since the overall stories and arcs are normally a mess.

And yeah, watching Deadwood while playing RDR seems like a terrible idea. Nothing can match Deadwood's writing.

Fjordson

You don't need to, he is.

Maybe it's just me I guess but his style doesn't really annoy me or belittle me. He's written character's in GTA IV for example that I can really relate to in real life.

Would David Chase and Vince Gilligan really be better videogame writers than Dan Houser? Writing for a videogame is much harder when in a videogame the characters are doing insane, outlandish things.

If David Chase and his writing crew had to write an episode of The Soprano's where Tony highjacks a train and kills 50 people, it would be an accomplishment in of itself if they could make a cohesive story behind why Tony is doing that.

I dunno, I believe the more videogame technology moves forward the more subtle and nuanced the writing will get.
You'll get no argument from me. I really do think he and his co-writers are great. Especially at characters and dialogue, and all of the satirical things they do like the fake TV shows and radio commercials.

They have room to improve when it comes to more technical stuff like pacing and plot structure and whatnot, but that goes for practically the entire medium I think. And that's an interesting point you make. Television and film doesn't have to account for player agency or make room for game mechanics. They don't have to "include" the audience like games do. Seems like a tough balance between all that and storytelling.

Not at all suggesting they are perfect, but I like that they're trying and are always looking at new ways to approach story.

UrbanRats

I think Houser can (often) do funny, over the top characters well, i can think of plenty of GTA characters i've found funny, but the same hamfistedness applies badly to more serious stuff.
I always consider the difficulty of narrating a story through an interactive medium, and i think with RDR they did a pretty good job everything considered, but still, when dramatic stuff is over the top and hamfisted, it can get grating very easily, reason why i can't enjoy most of his serious takes and social commentaries.
I can handle a "Krapea" and "Poopdeck", but Max's self loathing and poor social critique is almost unbearable.

Perkel

Banned
I fucking loathe stories in games. Almost always. I don't lower the bar for stories and writing just because it's a different medium. That said, I've always been impressed by the writing in GTA and RDR. Really just the dialogue, though, since the overall stories and arcs are normally a mess.

And yeah, watching Deadwood while playing RDR seems like a terrible idea. Nothing can match Deadwood's writing.

So much this.

UrbanRats

Fjordson

Yeah, they're stretching things a bit thin at this point :lol

About ready to turn off the GTA hype machine for a little while since I sense a break in new screenshots/trailers/etc. soon.

The trailer is from PS3? That makes me happy.

It's still hilarious that one person says "It's too good, looks like next gen" and then the next points out all the flaws and says "They should have waited until next gen". I'm going to be playing SA on the PS2 today...I'd gladly swap that performance for this. I'll be flying a plane later when suddenly a forest pops up in front of me or I'll be driving a car into the back of another car that really wasn't there. If you are the type of person who, when driving a jeep out of a plane and parachuting down to the ground, thinks "Look at those jaggies!" then it's time you took up gardening, because flowers won't have jaggies, but are a hell of lot less fun. "Yeah, that's unrealistic to use something real against a computer graphic", yeah well it's unrealistic to expect high end PC graphics on a current gen machine with less than 512MB RAM. It will be the same at the end of next gen, when R* will have to push the hardware to get the graphics up to a level befitting that generation...and people will still say "They should have waited until next gen".

"Next gen graphics today." It applies to every generation, like a sign in a pub that says "Free drinks tomorrow".

Agreed.

As a side note: this game will be the shit. My only fear at this point is how bad the frame rate will be. I just hope there will be a PC/next gen version at some point. No RDR port brings me worry.

Dude, comparing it to one of the most well written AND acted Westerns of modern time is a bit of a stretch.

No game will be able to pull off what a well written TV series does unless it is heavily scripted. You also have to remember the audience ... not everybody that played RDR even watched or enjoyed Deadwood (especially considering the teen crowd that buys R* games) so even a 'well written' GTA would probably fall on deaf ears.

There is a reason that many games have a lowest common denominator story, and that's because the older crowd that prefers that is not the main buying audience.

Personally I like my games a little campy, it keeps them fun.

bud23

What you saw in the trailer are merely portions of the demo which some (websites/magazines/GI/IGN...) have seen. This demo is from PS3, so the trailer is from PS3 too .

It´s not necessary to analize the AA to reach this conclusion.

Squire

Banned
What you saw in the trailer are merely portions of the demo which some (websites/magazines/GI/IGN...) have seen. This demo is from PS3, so the trailer is from PS3 too .

It´s not necessary to analize the AA to reach this conclusion.

We don't know for sure that the trailer is PS3 footage though. We don't even know if it's in-game, to be honest. The trailer doesn't note that which R* always went out of their way to say about LA Noire (I don't care if it was Team Bobdi, they still did) and Max Payne 3. And I think that might be worth questioning.

But let's call plausible guesses, plausible guesses, shall we? We know it's a GTA V trailer. That's it. Everything past that's a guess.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Cop system?

Mafia 2 had probably the best wanted system I've seen yet. They tracked your wanted level and then whether the police had your vehicle or clothing description. If you commit a crime in a vehicle all you'll have to do is duck into an alley and dump the car and you'll lose your wanted status. Similarly if they have your clothing description you have to change clothes either at your safehouse or at a clothing store.

Then they used a star system to rate your offenses:
1 star - minor offense. The cop pulls you over and you usually just get a ticket
2 star - they attempt to arrest you. you can choose to comply, resist, or bribe
3 star - they shoot at you. you can kill them or escape to a phone booth and bribe them off
4 star - police use heavy weapons. Your only way out is by killing them all or changing clothes/vehicles.

I really hope GTAV has a more advanced wanted system. GTAIV's was extremely basic.

gurudyne

I really hope GTAV has a more advanced wanted system. GTAIV's was extremely basic.

Not to mention clunky and unfair. So much needless time wasted because of unfair cop car spawns on the edge of city-spanning wanted areas. Mafia 2's sounds more in depth, but also a little too easy to duck wanted levels, depending on how many phone booths/safehouses litter the town(s).

Top Bottom