• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V [TRAILER #2] - Talk Thread

gurudyne

There's a bunch of small towns and villages and whatnot in there to discover and play around in. Doing other cities, though, felt like it was going to create problems we didn't need. It wasn't going to add to the experience. Of course you could do a game with a bunch of cities now that could be pretty interesting, but we didn't think that was going to be this game. This map is going to be spectacular to people when they start exploring and playing around with it

Sort of glad to see this. I loved the scope of SA with it's analogs for SF and LV, but neither felt as fleshed out as Los Santos. They had their spots (which SF's collection minigame pointed out to you through the lens of a camera) but they felt unfinished on some level, like they lacked the feeling of the town they were emulating. Might have been a mix of lighting and AI--people felt the same no matter where you went and the Strip felt like downtown LS with more lights. I realize they were very limited in their resources, but some differences in those two areas would have increased the latter two towns characters by a decent amount.

I'm rambling. Main point is I'm glad they're making one city and going with smaller towns around it. Should help them maintain focus on all of those small details that give GTA its incredible style.

Well that sucks.
Why, it's not that bad is it. It's not like Liberty City was the greatest test for it. Roads everywhere, helicopters that you could lose because buildings were everywhere. By the looks of GTA5, a really serious wanted system wouldn't suit it. I'd rather the A.I be better.

On that, is Euphoria just for animations? Because I've got it into my head that it's also a behavioral engine that also does A.I, but I fear that's complete rubbish! :D

Either way, whatever they use, they did a good job, especially with different types of enemy. For example, the big fat cops loved to run at you and the S.W.A.T teams hold back behind cover. But they could get the driving A.I better, to fish tail you and go back to using the spike strips. Better tactics in general. I can see it happening though, because with the big emphasis on heists they would need to have a better system anyway.

UrbanRats

On that, is Euphoria just for animations? Because I've got it into my head that it's also a behavioral engine that also does A.I, but I fear that's complete rubbish! :D
Just human animations (and maybe animals, but i doubt it) behavioural animations, at best, in the sense that, if they fall forward, they put their arms forward to try and stop the fall.
Infact, when you look at the drunken mode from GTA4 and RDR, it's basically the Euphoria engine trying to keep the character up straight in a completely non-scripted manner, which is why it looks like a drunkard.

So in that sense i think it's more than mere animations, but it doesn't govern AI as a whole.

I knew I was wrong, luckily I've never said it to anyone ;) As long as they still have the enemy use cover and dive about a lot, anything else is a bonus. I think it will be upgraded though, like how would a NPC react to a bear (please have bears!)? If a bear is asleep in the woods and an NPC is sneaking up on it and I wake it up with a silenced shot, does it attack the NPC...and which one shits itself first? :D

Pandemic

"Is the Wanted system different in this game?

When I asked Dan Houser about this in the interview, he said he wasn’t exactly sure how it would be changing yet. They are tweaking it a bit, but probably not much."

Your answer.

Noooooo, I was expecting a little different to the GTA IV system, ergh.

I thought that the wanted system in IV was pretty terrible.

I remember a lot of 1-3 star situations but that's about it.

It's kind of like the review scale.

UrbanRats

I thought that the wanted system in IV was pretty terrible.

I remember a lot of 1-3 star situations but that's about it.

It's kind of like the review scale.

I like the circle idea and the arrest-before-trying-to-kill-you one (although Sleeping Dogs did it better, imo).
But everything else could've been reworked, as far as i'm concerned.

I'm not even sure the 1-6 stars system is good anymore, RDR did it far more interestingly, there was a witness system, you could bribe officials/people, you had bounties on your head with people coming to get you etc etc.
Yes, you cannot use this stuff in modern times, but just to say that RDR was far more complex and interesting in this area.

I have an interesting prison mod on GTA4 PC that, if you get busted with more than 4 stars (actually customizable in an .ini) you go to jail in New Jersey and you can do a ton of stuff: cause a riot to escape more easily, pay bail, sneak out, buy a knife, buy a gun etc etc. You even have an orange jump suit that will give you stars, if seen by a cop with it, outside of prison. (gets removed if you pay bail, but not if you evade)

Gravijah

I'm not even sure the 1-6 stars system is good anymore, RDR did it far more interestingly, there was a witness system, you could bribe officials/people, you had bounties on your head with people coming to get you etc etc.
Yes, you cannot use this stuff in modern times, but just to say that RDR was far more complex and interesting in this area.

the RDR system has its flaws. in the very beginning you could lose a lot of your cash because of it.

UrbanRats

the RDR system has its flaws. in the very beginning you could lose a lot of your cash because of it.

I'm not doing that many crimes to begin with (in RDR) so maybe that's why i haven't noticed that, but you usually have a shitload of useless money in GTA anyway (not to say that it's perfect, of course, just pointing out that they should experiment more, imo).
And i lost a ton of money for that prison mod too, 10k every time i need to bail, but once i'm at 4 stars, tension is high up, feels great. :p

AEREC

They make some fantastic games, but this is ridiculously hyperbolic.

In terms of creating open worlds that feel very natural and alive...I would say R* is leagues ahead of any other devs. GTA4 and RDR are still the most impressive and detailed open world games this generation.

To be fair though actually, this...

"Is the Wanted system different in this game?

When I asked Dan Houser about this in the interview, he said he wasn’t exactly sure how it would be changing yet. They are tweaking it a bit, but probably not much."

...is a question that someone has asked them and they could have had a very sketchy memory of it at best. They could have asked whether or not they were keeping the stars system and not what happens in that system. And it's not exactly a quote. I find it hard to believe they wouldn't change it given the scale of the map, "Oh I've got one star, now I've left the area", too much open space to quickly move into.

I didn't really like the wanted system of GTAIV, but didn't hate it. I think that I was more frustrated tht every crime got police attention no matter where you were... even if it was like, shooting a pidgeon. If you accidentally fired your gun, within 10 seconds there's be police there which was lame and discouraged exploration or trying to manipulate the world

I also felt it was really, really easy to loose the police and it didn't match the description of how it was supposed to be at all.

zomaha

sorry if already discussed, and this is probably wishful thinking but in this pic:
IMG_0615.jpg
not only is there a security camera but also what appears to be one of those home security signs, it says bobcat. i'm hoping that means some home break-ins are possible, with some people like this fella having security that might raise your wanted level if you trip their alarms. would be fun.

Raptomex

Security cameras = hidden packages? I really don't want to have to fire my weapon and risk alerting police for each "hidden package".

Stat!

Security cameras = hidden packages? I really don't want to have to fire my weapon and risk alerting police for each "hidden package".

Pigeons in GTAIV had the same thing, no?

I'd like the same thing Red Dead Redemption had for it's 100%. Some collectibles (like flowers), some actual stuff like hunting, different suits to find, hideouts, doing action oriented things. Something creative. Max Payne had collectibles that gave background information and then golden gun parts which were cool. LA Noire had the cars, and film reels. But I think the commonality with the exception of Max Payne, is that there weren't many stagnant collectibles (i.e. they are sitting behind this stair case and never move).

I don't know. I'm dreading having to find like 300 security cameras. I want more variation. And I'm sure GTAV will provide that.

Fjordson

Sorry to bump this with with something a bit off-topic, but the digital PC version of San Andreas is going to be $3 on Amazon this Thursday. All the GTA V media has made me want to replay it, so just a heads up for anyone else wanting to (GTA IV will also be $5).

Raptomex

Pigeons in GTAIV had the same thing, no?

I'd like the same thing Red Dead Redemption had for it's 100%. Some collectibles (like flowers), some actual stuff like hunting, different suits to find, hideouts, doing action oriented things. Something creative. Max Payne had collectibles that gave background information and then golden gun parts which were cool. LA Noire had the cars, and film reels. But I think the commonality with the exception of Max Payne, is that there weren't many stagnant collectibles (i.e. they are sitting behind this stair case and never move).

I don't know. I'm dreading having to find like 300 security cameras. I want more variation. And I'm sure GTAV will provide that.
It did. That's why I don't want to do it again. And 200 in that game was just excessive.

So I'm trying to get the GTAIV collection for $15 on friday, but I'm hesitant about the PS3 version. Is it really bad? I have both 360 and PS3, which version should I get?

Gravijah

sorry if already discussed, and this is probably wishful thinking but in this pic:

not only is there a security camera but also what appears to be one of those home security signs, it says bobcat. i'm hoping that means some home break-ins are possible, with some people like this fella having security that might raise your wanted level if you trip their alarms. would be fun.

given the heist theme, it would be really stupid not to have home burglaries.

Muffdraul

So I'm trying to get the GTAIV collection for $15 on friday, but I'm hesitant about the PS3 version. Is it really bad? I have both 360 and PS3, which version should I get?

I have both versions. If you have both consoles, there's really no reason not to get the 360 version. PS3 version is clearly inferior graphically. The most obvious example I noticed was that on the 360, sunrises and sunsets look nice and natural. On the PS3, it looks like they sprayed orange paint on everything.

Horns

Both the PS3 and 360 versions play fine, there are barely any noticeable differences between the two.

However, if you install the 360 version there are a few improvements. The load times are def shortened and I believe there is a very small performance improvement.

zaxon

I had no problems with it. The only issue was that the online community was dead on ps3, even when the game was still relatively new. Dunno if anyone on either system still plays it at all, though.

I had no problems with it. The only issue was that the online community was dead on ps3, even when the game was still relatively new. Dunno if anyone on either system still plays it at all, though.

Unless something drastic has happened, GTA IV multiplayer on 360 is pretty much evergreen.

Muffdraul

What apart from the dreadful paint filter?

To me it was painfully obvious that they had to make some key sacrifices in order to get the PS3 version to run comparably. Characters' faces seemed to have less detail and probably less polys, LoD kicking in was more jarring... things like that.

Go ahead- tell me the PS3 version looked better while keeping a straight face. To me it was painfully obvious that they had to make some key sacrifices in order to get the PS3 version to run comparably. Characters' faces seemed to have less detail and probably less polys, LoD kicking in was more jarring... things like that.
I don't believe I said one was better looking.

And going by the Eurogamer Face Off. Which states very clearly that they are very similar versions. The 360 has a better framerate and runs at a 720p. And this is what they say about the filter:-

"Unfortunately, it also seems to actively distort the edges of detail in the textures and occasionally looks really ugly... I'm almost certain that it would be the superior-looking game simply by virtue of the extra resolution and edge-filtering. But as it is, right now, there's not much in it."

The PS3 version has better shadows and less pop-in while flying.

The perceived vast difference between each version just isn't there. And there are no differences in polygons, I don't know where that comes from? Otherwise they wouldn't use the same amount of data.

Also note what they say here:-

"It seems that Rockstar didn't appear to issue a single PS3 screenshot pre-launch, which indicates that in-house the 360 game was the lead platform, and obviously the one chosen to best serve the PR effort."

The future looks pretty good for the PS3 version.

Let's not get into an age old war though. We all know GTA4 was sacrificed from the beginning.

Muffdraul

Let's not get into an age old war though. We all know GTA4 was sacrificed from the beginning.

Fine with me. It's pretty irksome when these discussions break down to "But look at what so and so said, and here is a list of technical details." As I said, I own both games, I've played and completed them both. I can't discount what I see with my own eyes in favor of what someone else says, or technical details or whatever. All I can do is try to relate my own personal experience from when I played them.

I really don't know what they should do with the wanted system. I don't really think the system in Red Dead will work. The whole 'witness' idea worked when there was more open area with less places to run and hide. It was also harder to get away from an area at top speed so I feel like it would be too east to just bail on anything you did wrong.

On the otherhand I don't think they have found the right formula for GTA. The older system with cops magically appearing any time you set foot on a road was frustrating. However for 4 they replaced it with a system where the cops woul just magically appear on the road a few blocks ahead of you regardless of what direction you were driving. It lead to you being 'found' again too easily and it wasn't much better. I liked the idea of having a raduis you had to escape from but they need to make some changes to improve it and I don't know what those changes are.

UrbanRats

I thought this video is more or less appropriate to be posted here. GTA V trailer with the leads of GTA IV. The video is actually quite well done and genuinely funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM94-7Ktx8c

Well damn, that was impressive.
There's also a new screen (a pretty useless one, tbh) from a preview, floating around, but i can't post it as it's a scan.
They should have a thread about it on GTAForums, though.

Anyway it's just Trevor climbing the damn VINEWOOD sign from yet another angle.

dreamfall

I thought this video is more or less appropriate to be posted here. GTA V trailer with the leads of GTA IV. The video is actually quite well done and genuinely funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM94-7Ktx8c

Oh my GOD! So awesome! "I'M TOO DRUNK FOR THIS! YELLLLLOW CAR!"

Goodness, great find. That was some really neat work- good transitions with the characters and the new trailer. And the shared dialogue between Niko and Johnny was classic!

Top Bottom