• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA4 + iCEnhancer mod. Holy mother of god.

n0n44m

I tried some more stuff to get it working together nicely with EFLC , but still had the same issues as I posted about before (everything looking nuclearly bright, AA causes HUD and menu distortion)

so after freeing up my SSD and removing Episodes from Liberty City, I just started downloading GTA IV vanilla from Steam (didn't have it installed because I finished it on PS3 at launch)

but I'm getting only 750 kb/s on a 50mbit connection FFS D: here I was thinking Steam was only slow during Steam Sale :mad:

ah well off to bed, guess I'll enjoy my master-race GTA IV tomorrow :)

Shawsie64

Banned
Playing EFLC and it works great! runs far better than GTA4 1.0.7.0 on my Q9450 2gb6950..

Only thing is the cut scenes are super bright.. in game its fine.. any way to fix this?

mr_nothin

Banned
IMACOMPUTA said:
tapping my foot in anticipation for mr_nothing .ini
Sorry about that. Im actually not at home right now and i dont have the internet on my pc where im at. Posting from my ipad right now but i can type out all of the changes i made to ice's config and explain everything else that i did....if you want. Wont be back with internet until tomorrow, sorry

Unicorn

Sethos said:
Tried pressing P while playing? That enables / disables / cycles DoF and Motion Blur
How can I change the settings on that. Seems very inefficient. Most of the time the screen is just blurred, and it ruins the desired effect. Really would like to have motion blur and DoF if it would function better and not be so janky.

IMACOMPUTA

mr_nothin said:
Sorry about that. Im actually not at home right now and i dont have the internet on my pc where im at. Posting from my ipad right now but i can type out all of the changes i made to ice's config and explain everything else that i did....if you want. Wont be back with internet until tomorrow, sorry

haha, don't sweat it. I look forward to seeing it when you're able to post it! thanks!

IMACOMPUTA

gtaiv2011-07-1419-28-2quvf.png

gtaiv2011-07-1419-25-38ubn.png

gtaiv2011-07-1419-28-4cnyv.png

gtaiv2011-07-1419-30-53ufm.png

gtaiv2011-07-1419-39-5nna9.png

gtaiv2011-07-1419-52-04npz.png

gtaiv2011-07-1419-52-4ln9l.png

gtaiv2011-07-1419-55-5lupu.png

gtaiv2011-07-1420-01-2bnrp.png

gtaiv2011-07-1420-03-1nncf.png

gtaiv2011-07-1420-05-47ntn.png

gtaiv2011-07-1420-07-0fnce.png

IMACOMPUTA

Mr Nightman said:
ok got it installed, keep getting grand theft auto has stopped working error when I launch, any ideas why?

are you running the steam copy? are you running it from "launch GTA"? Did you run it once before downgrading it ? (if its the steam copy)

Unicorn

I think I'll try playing in the super resolution, then try downsampling to get better images.

GTAIV2011-07-1418-59-51-25.png

GTAIV2011-07-1418-59-10-81.png

abload is in german and I can't figure anything out. Haha.

edit:
Also, I still don't like the "P" blur and DoF, it's finnicky about what to focus on and it almost seems to pixelate things with blur or something.

x3sphere

Anyone know why this doesn't work with the Steam version? Like, would using a crack work (would rather not resort to that, but if there's no other way...)?

HooYaH

x3sphere said:
Anyone know why this doesn't work with the Steam version? Like, would using a crack work (would rather not resort to that, but if there's no other way...)?
Works fine with me. Explain the problem it isn't working?

IMACOMPUTA said:
are you running the steam copy? are you running it from "launch GTA"? Did you run it once before downgrading it ? (if its the steam copy)
nope man full retail game, did everything in the op and no go

ss_lemonade

Unicorn said:
So, the SSAO is what causes the static/noise/grit filter?
Not sure, I just ran into that site earlier and haven't had the time to mess with the ini file yet, other than testing AA and disabling AO. My guess is its something else.

Some more screens using the latest version

IkUkB.jpg

Flape.jpg

0ncQP.jpg

JGCY5.jpg

0dAq4.jpg

YlMDV.jpg

ss_lemonade

Man, looking at all these screenshots reminds me of looking at those non realtime, prerendered shots of past PS3/360 games with HUDs pasted in.

I got my steam copy of GTA installed and all the mods/texture packs downloaded. Tomorrow I'll work on getting it modded.

I didn't see an updated set of instructions for the steam copy, so I guess I'll be flying blind. The readme for iCEhancer had a few microsoft things to install (directx, etc), after those it seems like I install iCEhancer and then the texture pack? If any of you guys running this on the steam version wants to post detailed instructions, that would be awesome.

KiddToKmart

Neo Member
Few shots of mine... getting there, but still looking for a few optimizations to make it look better.

Textures for one, I don't know why haven't been implemented. I downloaded the 7GB Ultimate Textures 2.0 Pack and copied/pasted everything to my directory - doesn't seem changed! Is there something i'm missing?

I downloaded Better City since then and am yet to install it.

gtaiv2011071413231022.png
gtaiv2011071420500543.png

gtaiv2011071420511699.png
gtaiv2011071420521245.png

gtaiv2011071420522180.png
gtaiv2011071410560376.png

^ I LOVE this shot... poor Niko on the verge of his death inside an exploding car.

mxgt said:
I actually have no problem running fraps with it but MSI afterburner and D3doverrider crash it.

Thanks.

Ok, here are my screenshots with details about my system, config, mods, etc following. These are not downscaled, are not supersampled, and are running at 1080p... no bullshots. Some have "Definition" turned on, some have it turned off. It makes negligible differences in my FPS. The shortcut to toggle this is pressing "P" in case anyone was wondering, but you can also change it in the Graphics menu in-game. The final screenshot shows my in-game settings.

My specs:
i5 2500k @ 4.2 Ghz
8 GB 1600 DDR3
MSI Twin Frozr II 560 ti 1GB OCed (Core Clock @ 975 Mhz, Shader Clock @ 1950 Mhz, Memory Clock @ 2100 Mhz, stock voltage)

I am running MSI Afterburner v2.1.0 (to OC my GPU) and FRAPs (to take screenshots/show FPS). I'm getting a fairly consistent 27-40 FPS with my specs/settings at 1080p.

I freshly installed retail GTA4 and have no expansions. I patched to version 1.0.4.0... I downloaded Xliveless from the 2nd link in the OP, have version 1.25 of iCEnhancer, the Better City Texture mod linked in the OP, and the Realistic Driving and Flying mod found here: http://www.gtagarage.com/mods/show.php?id=5529 Installed it all in the order listed in the OP.

Anyway, I'm very happy with how it looks and how it runs on my rig, but it seems video RAM is my major bottleneck as noticed in that last screenshot. I do notice the red night sky effect at times and will be on the look out for a value to edit to fix that. There is definitely room for tweaking the config file which I will do in the next few days as I learn more about it and get time.

I'm very excited for this to be my first GTA4 playthrough.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I got the mod working, but whenever I play my camera acts like drunk mode and just tilts to the size and zooms in and out constantly. Makes me want to vomit

zoner said:
I got the mod working, but whenever I play my camera acts like drunk mode and just tilts to the size and zooms in and out constantly. Makes me want to vomit

Launch the game with the "LaunchGTAIV.exe" file, not the "GTAIV.exe" file. I had the same issue.

EDIT: Apparently, it's another annoying DRM included in the game... supposed to be a punishment for people that pirated the game.

nismogrendel said:
I got my steam copy of GTA installed and all the mods/texture packs downloaded. Tomorrow I'll work on getting it modded.

I didn't see an updated set of instructions for the steam copy, so I guess I'll be flying blind. The readme for iCEhancer had a few microsoft things to install (directx, etc), after those it seems like I install iCEhancer and then the texture pack? If any of you guys running this on the steam version wants to post detailed instructions, that would be awesome.
I just found this a little while ago. It was really laid out and worked for my Steam version.

http://www.gtagaming.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2198415

Downgrade-Manual for all steamusers with a version of GTAIV above 1.0.4.0:

1. Start Steam, open your Library, right-click on "Grand Theft Auto IV" and click on Properties. Move to the tab "Updates" and change the given option to "Do not automatically update this game".
Close Steam.

2. Download the 1.0.4.0-Patch; for example from here: Click and install it. If an error occurs during the installation you can use this archive that contains the patch as well. Just merge the content of the archive with your GTAIV-Mainfolder and overwrite everything.

3. Download the "Rockstar Social Group Tool" (RGSG): Click, but DO NOT install it!

4. Change the name of your "GTAIV"-Folder (X:\(...)\Steam\SteamApps\common\grand theft auto iv\GTAIV) to something else than "GTAIV". This is important, because otherwise you will have to reinstall GTAIV and start all over again.

5. Now install the RGSG-Tool. It creates a new "GTAIV"-folder with the Tools components in "X:\(...)\Steam\SteamApps\common\grand theft auto iv\". Should the installations be stopped by an error, download this archive: Click
The archive contains the installed RGSG-Tool.

6. Copy the content of this new created "GTAIV"folder (X:\(...)\Steam\SteamApps\common\grand theft auto iv\GTAIV) into your old "GTAIV"-folder, that you renamed before.

7. Erase the "GTAIV"-folder of the RGSG-Tool and rename your old "GTAIV"-folder with its gamecontent back to "GTAIV". The folder should still be in "X:\(...)\Steam\SteamApps\common\grand theft auto iv\".

8. That's it. As long as you do not have rests of incompatible mods (Xliveless- and ScriptHook-user go on reading after this), GTAIV should now rund perfectly in version 1.0.4.0. It is always the best method to start without mods and then reenabling one for one, until everything is fine.

When using Xliveless (Asi-Loader) the menu-texts disappear:
To fix this follow this steps:

1. Download this "fonts.zip": Click

2. Open the folder "X:\(...)\Steam\SteamApps\common\grand theft auto iv\GTAIV\common\data" and copy the files "fonts.dat" and "fonts_r.dat" as a backup to any other folder.

3. Copy both files that are contained in the "fonts.zip" to the folder "X:\(...)\Steam\SteamApps\common\grand theft auto iv\GTAIV\common\data" and overwrite the existing ones.

4. That's it.

Note: "fonts.dat" is obviously for the western alphabet, while "fonts_r.dat" may is the equivalent file for cyrillic symbols (if you are playing in russian for example).

For all users of ScriptHook:
The newest ScriptHook.dll-version may not work properly with 1.0.4.0 and lead to crashes, so do as following:

1. Download this ScriptHook.dll-version: Click

2. Download the recent version of .Net Script Hook (I have tested with 1.7 Beta and it worked): Click

3. Copy the "ScriptHookDotNet.asi" and the folder "scripts" from the .zip-file of the .Net Script Hook into your GTAIV main directory. You do not need the also contained "ScriptHook.dll" as it does not work properly with 1.0.4.0.

4. Now copy the other "ScriptHook.dll" from the "GTAIVScriptHook_0.4.0_Redist.zip" into your GTAIV main directory. This one should work perfectly.

5. Finished. Now your mods and *.asi-files should work as usual if they require ScriptHook.

If GTAIV crashes with ICEnhancer:
Simply turn off programs that conflict with the "d3d9.dll" of iCEnhancer, like MSI Afterburner, Rivatuner and so on. That should do it.

But now, I'm having a problem that is at once bizarre and funny, but makes the game unplayable. I get into a car, and after like a minute of driving, the car will floor it BY ITSELF, and I lose absolute control over it. Then the camera bugs out and starts swivelling back and forth like you're drunk and dizzy AT THE SAME TIME!. I have to bail out of the car (I'm using the mega car pack), but the camera is still bugging out! I thought it was my 360 controller, so I disconnected it. But that's not it at all. I really have no idea how to fix it. But it probably has to do with a script going bonkers for going back to 1.0.4.0. I have to get to the bottom of this, otherwise I just can't play the game at all.

EDIT:
Soka said:
Launch the game with the "LaunchGTAIV.exe" file, not the "GTAIV.exe" file. I had the same issue.

EDIT: Apparently, it's another annoying DRM included in the game... supposed to be a punishment for people that pirated the game.
Thanks for this, I'll do this right now and test it.

SonofdonCD said:
But now, I'm having a problem that is at once bizarre and funny, but makes the game unplayable. I get into a car, and after like a minute of driving, the car will floor it BY ITSELF, and I lose absolute control over it. Then the camera bugs out and starts swivelling back and forth like you're drunk and dizzy AT THE SAME TIME!. I have to bail out of the car (I'm using the mega car pack), but the camera is still bugging out! I thought it was my 360 controller, so I disconnected it. But that's not it at all. I really have no idea how to fix it. But it probably has to do with a script going bonkers for going back to 1.0.4.0. I have to get to the bottom of this, otherwise I just can't play the game at all.

EDIT:Thanks for this, I'll do this right now and test it.

Yeah, I had that symptom in addition to the drunk camera mentioned by you and zoner above. The LaunchGTAIV.exe work around solved both issues. Hope it helps you both too.

Reynbow

Neo Member
I've downloaded a car pack before and gotten the dreaded Taxi Bug.
Can anyone suggest a good car pack and anything I should keep in mind to prevent the Taxi Bug?

Also I prefer to keep the GFWL overlay. But I suppose if I have to play without it, that doesn't bother me. But like I said, prefer to keep it.

Any suggestions guys?

kevm3

How is it that these guys can modify the engine of a 3-4 year old game and create something that looks better than just about anything else out there?

Poncho

Neo Member
Apparently this mod uses the 0.082 version of ENB Series which overheats certain GFX cards, esp. the 5XX series. I happen to own a GTX 570 and I keep getting random slowdowns and artifacts. I lowered my settings a bit which fixed the artifacts but I still get random slowdowns every now and then. I feel a bit worried when using this mod. Has anyone found any solutions that let me play the game using this mod on a GTX 570? Maybe a modified version using 0.081 or something? Thanks.

Also, are there any ways I can track my temps other than using Afterburner/EVGA Precision(they crash my game when I use this mod)?

Anyway here's a screenshot I took in EFLC. Click it for full resolution.

Top Bottom