• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

GamerSoul

Why the shit did they have to call it a GIFT. I thought it might be like 150 microsoft points or some crap, so I redeemed it not knowing that it was specializations I already had from the limited edition. Now I cant give it to a gaffer... -_-

:( I post in the other Halo thread and I'm in the boat with the others who have to wait til they somehow get unlocked for everyone. My brother and I are stuck on 70 lol** since we got it day one and we share his account for online gaming. The problem is we can't access his account because the Egghead forgot everything. Damn eggheads.

** it's not really funny :/

Fracas

#fuckonami
Bro, I flinched IRL every time I got knocked out of scope in the previous games, it was that jarring. This makes for a much more consistent experience, I just had to adapt a little.

How in the hell is your reticle shaking randomly a consistent mechanic? There's no adaptation, it's a terrible idea that has no place in a competitive shooter.

Descoping is consistent. Every time you get shot while scoped in, you get scoped out. No matter what the situation is, the same result occurs. By definition, the flinching mechanic is wildly inconsistent.

How in the hell is your reticle shaking randomly a consistent mechanic? There's no adaptation, it's a terrible idea that has no place in a competitive shooter.

Descoping is consistent. Every time you get shot while scoped in, you get scoped out. No matter what the situation is, the same result occurs. By definition, the flinching mechanic is wildly inconsistent.

Agreed. I find flinching twice as jarring as de-scoping.

Matchmaking is as close to broken as I can imagine without it actually not working at all. I am constantly put in matches against United States players. The games are unplayably laggy on my Australian Internet. Has there been any word from 343i regarding updates or changes coming? I essentially have to wait until 7pm every night to play with some friends and even then, it's a toss up whether we get an Australian game. Frustrating.

Less players = less pool of players to choose from = less aussies to play against. You can't fix that, unless 343 starts paying people to come back to their game. I know that's what it's going to take to get me back at this point (unless they overhall a large part of the game). Most have moved on to Blops2 and I don't blame them.

RIP HALO, RIP 343, RIP FRANKIE.

agreed. I've been a long time halo fan, but 2 bad games in a row is enough for me. I'll probably end up switching over to ps4 next gen seeing as how bungies game is multiplatform

Fracas

#fuckonami
why weren't specializations just part of the game? no code should be necessary

I'm not even surprised at blunders like this.

I wouldn't be shocked to see War Games pass owners get emailed a code for each map pack instead of just letting them download it.

heckfu

Banned
I'm not even surprised at blunders like this.

Hell, I wouldn't be shocked to see War Games pass owners get emailed a code for each map pack instead of just letting them download it.

With most decisions on this game I can think, hey, I can see why they did this. But excluding the Euro population from dewxp and the early specializations pass seems like they're metaphorically shitting on a huge portion of their player population.

If I were Hydra and was so amped about this game, defended it tooth and nail, and then was shafted like this twice I think I would just have to look around and at least have an answer. I still wouldn't be happy, but at least the answer would give me a jumping off point to understanding.

nomis

Fuck, I should have bolded "adapt" to get my sarcasm fully across. Calling it jarring was my attempt at a callback to a 343 dev referring to descoping as such when explaining the choice to add flinch.

There was actual skill involved in being able to re-scope.

Fracas

#fuckonami
With most decisions on this game I can think, hey, I can see why they did this. But excluding the Euro population from dewxp and the early specializations pass seems like they're metaphorically shitting on a huge portion of their player population.

If I were Hydra and was so amped about this game, defended it tooth and nail, and then was shafted like this twice I think I would just have to look around and at least have an answer. I still wouldn't be happy, but at least the answer would give me a jumping off point to understanding.

Has 343 mentioned the possibility of extending the extra specializations into Europe and abroad?

Because seriously, blocking significant endgame content from non US players is downright unethical. I feel like there's got to be something we don't know here.
Fuck, I should have bolded "adapt" to get my sarcasm fully across.

There was actual skill involved in being able to re-scope.
I'll take my sarcasm meter to the shop first thing Monday morning.

Ramirez

You mean his shill check isn't enough?!

Tunavi

Banned
I actually had a ton of fun playing this game tonight. Played Regicide and just stayed out of first place, went for non-king kills, got totally destroyed in terms of regicide points, but KD was high and it was fun.

Bring back FFA slayer, 343, what the fuck. i have to actually stop playing and hide so I dont become king.

GhaleonEB

Bro, I flinched IRL every time I got knocked out of scope in the previous games, it was that jarring. This makes for a much more consistent experience, I just had to adapt a little.

I found de-scoping preferable because it was more consistent. I would scope, get tagged, and then be back out looking where I was previously. It reversed an action I myself initiated. With flinch, it's a game of, I wonder if my reticule will stay put? No? Okay, I wonder where it will bounce to next! And because I play mostly BTB and use the DMR, that means a large proportion of the combat revolves around wrestling with a bobbing targeting reticule. I just find that mechanic incredibly frustrating.

Everyone has their own lines for when a game goes from being flawed but fun enough to be worth it, and when the frustration dwarfs the fun. I think flinch is what will ultimately put me over that line. It's not the only thing, not by far. But I think I could stick with the game and have some mindless fun without it if flinch were not in place.

CyReN

FFA Throwback only has 961 (out of 73,123) currently playing at this moment, I hope they don't take that as we don't want normal FFA back, we want it back as SLAYER.

GhaleonEB

Ghal, you just need to grind to level 60, then you can turn it off! :D

I've had that thought. And honestly it's part of the reason I haven't returned it yet. :lol

I'm level 26 now, probably about half on the basis of War Games and half from Spartan Ops. I think I'll probably play mostly Spartan Ops, every couple weeks, and see where I end up at the end of the season. If it really looks like a grind from there to get Stability, I'll weigh what to do from there.

Omni

Can someone tell me a game they actually enjoyed and didn't rage at ever that has come out in the last 5 years?

Halo CEA
ODST
Skyrim
FC3 (recent release, I admit)
ACII
Geometry Wars 2 (was that out 5 years ago? I can't remember)
Ghost Recon FS
GTA IV
Mass Effect 2,3
Blops 1

Probably more. Can't remember at the moment

CyReN

I've had that thought. And honestly it's part of the reason I haven't returned it yet. :lol

I'm level 26 now, probably about half on the basis of War Games and half from Spartan Ops. I think I'll probably play mostly Spartan Ops, every couple weeks, and see where I end up at the end of the season. If it really looks like a grind from there to get Stability, I'll weigh what to do from there.

Some motivation.

The thing about getting knocked out of scope it was binary: it was on-off, and utterly predictable. Flinch is analogue, and much less predictable. It's amazing to me that after the kerfuffle over bloom, 343 added an all-new mechanic for making aiming more random.

Karl2177

I found de-scoping preferable because it was more consistent. I would scope, get tagged, and then be back out looking where I was previously. It reversed an action I myself initiated. With flinch, it's a game of, I wonder if my reticule will stay put? No? Okay, I wonder where it will bounce to next! And because I play mostly BTB and use the DMR, that means a large proportion of the combat revolves around wrestling with a bobbing targeting reticule. I just find that mechanic incredibly frustrating.

Everyone has their own lines for when a game goes from being flawed but fun enough to be worth it, and when the frustration dwarfs the fun. I think flinch is what will ultimately put me over that line. It's not the only thing, not by far. But I think I could stick with the game and have some mindless fun without it if flinch were not in place.

I'm just going to let you know that playing with DMRs as pickups is actually pretty good. I have modified versions of Ragnarok and Haven that I've been working on, both with DMR pickups. Just in the 2v2 that I've played on Haven, it works pretty well. Although I can't fix Flinch(because you can't use specialization mods in customs for no apparent reason), I can fix the scope and range issue.

blamite

Can someone tell me a game they actually enjoyed and didn't rage at ever that has come out in the last 5 years?

Assassin's Creed 2/Brotherhood
Mass Effect 2/3
Fez
Skyrim
Limbo
Skyward Sowrd
Kid Icarus Uprising
New Super Mario Bros. 2

there are just off the top of my head, if I looked in my Steam library I could come up with like 10 more.

Halo 4 is getting pretty obnoxious to me right about now. I'm taking a break for a week or two.

At the very least, Spartan Ops MM has high credit payouts, so should you choose to grind towards stability thats probably the way to do it. I have had decent netcode with Spartan Ops in MM also, so its not half bad. The missions usually aren't anything special, but they can be fun to run around with three other players and cause chaos. I honestly rarely notice flinch, except at long range DMR battles, but I do understand the complaint..it is a bit like bloom where it can come out of nowhere and frustratingly screw you over. Still, I feel it isn't as bad..or I have just been more lucky. One way or another, I prefer it over descoping.. that seemed to screw me over more than flinch, but on the flip side I suppose it was more predictable.

Ramirez

Assassin's Creed 2/Brotherhood
Mass Effect 2/3
Fez
Skyrim
Limbo
Skyward Sowrd
Kid Icarus Uprising
New Super Mario Bros. 2

there are just off the top of my head, if I looked in my Steam library I could come up with like 10 more.

Halo 4 is getting pretty obnoxious to me right about now. I'm taking a break for a week or two.

These are all SP games.

MP games cause rage no matter how good they are.

Less players = less pool of players to choose from = less aussies to play against. You can't fix that, unless 343 starts paying people to come back to their game. I know that's what it's going to take to get me back at this point (unless they overhall a large part of the game). Most have moved on to Blops2 and I don't blame them.

RIP HALO, RIP 343, RIP FRANKIE.

I can understand that at 9am Monday morning, but it's the weekend. I was able to play Reach at the same time a year after it came out, and as long as I selected good connection I was able to play against Aussies all day. It's this bull shit matchmaking system. I understand the skill element of the matching system... Maybe there isn't any games with Aussies with the same approximate skill level... But I'd rather wait, for minutes, as opposed to being thrown into a JIP USA game in 10 seconds. The silence on he issue makes it even more annoying.

nomis

It's amazing to me that after the kerfuffle over bloom, 343 added an all-new mechanic for making aiming more random.

iBbIz1qrFzUgS.jpg

JB1981

Don't find flinch frustrating at all, it just makes it easier to ping people from great distances. And you have to make very minor adjustments to the "bobbing" reticle. The only time it pisses me off is when I put 3 bullets in the head of a sniper and he's still able to headshot me. Descope should apply to Snipers

GhaleonEB

Thanks for this, I hadn't seen it in action before.
The thing about getting knocked out of scope it was binary: it was on-off, and utterly predictable. Flinch is analogue, and much less predictable. It's amazing to me that after the kerfuffle over bloom, 343 added an all-new mechanic for making aiming more random.

This is a very good way of describing it.

I had an encounter tonight where I stripped shields off someone, and before I could land the last shot, got team fired by BR's, and while getting shot by one guy is frustrating taking 12-15 little shots pelting me at once made landing the last shot totally impossible, I had no control over the reticule.

Ramirez

Bioshock 2 multiplayer.

The most fun and enjoyment I have ever had with a multiplayer game.

lol, that game was fun in a silly, can't take it serious kind of way.

^ I mean that scenario sounds perfectly fine to me, if you have 3-4 guys shooting you, having a stable zoomed in shot shouldn't be possible. You more than likely wouldn't have killed him with a de-scope mechanic either. I'm different though, I loved the suppress fire feature in BF3 where it blurred your screen if someone was shooting in your direction.

So Goofy is at some LAN in TX and they're having a glitch where he got some ordnance and all three choices were empty and he couldn't call down any of them to restart it...

Omni

lol, that game was fun in a silly, can't take it serious kind of way.

^ I mean that scenario sounds perfectly fine to me, if you have 3-4 guys shooting you, having a stable zoomed in shot shouldn't be possible. You more than likely wouldn't have killed him with a de-scope mechanic either. I'm different though, I loved the suppress fire feature in BF3 where it blurred your screen if someone was shooting in your direction.

Eh, that mechanic in BF3 is worse than bloom. One bullet flies a meter above your head and suddenly your weapon shoots in every direction othe than straight

Flinch makes snipers terribly overpowered. You've got no hope in hell getting close to anyone that's even remotely competent

Top Bottom