• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Mirror's Edge has been my game of the year since 2008. My favorite game this gen.

This is a quality post. I love Mirror's Edge.

My GOTY is down to Halo 4, The Walking Dead, Mass Effect 3, Borderlands 2, and maybe Far Cry 3 depending on how it goes.

Release a shitty broken game on November with the name Halo in it, win GoTY.

Gaming industry is a joke.

"Shitty" is an opinion, like the GOTY awards are.

Havok

Also, whoever thought of Longbow's CTF spot should be kicked in the jimmy.
Let's have a look, eh?

Oh wow, that's a pretty interesting base design. Lots of ways in, some interesting places to defend and push up through.
wHZhJ.jpg

Hey, the inside looks like a decent flag spot. Some open space so people don't run into it accidentally, lots of entries and exits, plenty of potential routes.

Surely they'll put it in there, right? I mean, it seems like it'd be a pretty awesome CTF map with that layout!

Oh.

Why?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Perma Death bothered me in the early Xcoms cause the balance was never right, You faced harder and harder UFO's yet every now and then you lost a leveled, high stat dudebro and had to rebuy a lower leveled marine.

So basically I would start a mission pre-saved and then if I didn't like the results I would be loading up the save and trying again...not exactly good design when you just circumvent it by savestating.

Is it the same in this one?

If they came back after "being down" for a # of matches I think it would be better, you'd only have to fight handicapped for a period of time.

Anyways, I should really finally crack the seal on that game.
I'm pretty sure it still works like that. If one of your dudes die, they're gone permanently. If they just take damage, they're out for a number of days proportional to how much damage they took. But days pass pretty fast in the mission control room, so if you have ten or so soldiers that you swap out as needed, you should be fine.

Edit : Is Longbow CTF in matchmaking now?

It is antiquated.
Why? Just because it's an old system doesn't mean it's out of date.

Let's have a look, eh?

Oh wow, that's a pretty interesting base design. Lots of ways in, some interesting places to defend and push up through.

Hey, the inside looks like a decent flag spot. Some open space so people don't run into it accidentally, lots of entries and exits, plenty of potential routes.

Surely they'll put it in there, right? I mean, it seems like it'd be a pretty awesome CTF map with that layout!

Oh.

Why?

I will say that I'm glad they didn't put it in the base. Ragnarok's biggest success over Blood Gulch for me is that the flag is on the top. Gone is the motivation to have someone camp the bottom of the base.

That being said, why is the flag so far from the base? There'll be no combat in there.

Omni

I don't think Halo 4 should even be nominated if I were to be honest. The game doesn't excel in any aspect at all.

Story writing? There are much better written games out there.
Being CoD? CoD is always going to be better than a game trying to be CoD. Kinda like Halo used to be better than games that tried to emulate Halo.
Multiplayer? 4's is a broken mess
Map editor? Hahaha no.

The only redeeming factor is the visuals (in campaign. Multiplayer looks like ass 99% of the time)... and even then the obvious restraints caused by the jump are jarring.

I like the game, but if it gets GotY... I don't even know. I fear for what the hell Halo 5 will be like if they get 'rewarded' for some of the shit they put into 4.

Let's have a look, eh?

Oh.

Why?

Wow, wtf. They need to fix the spawn points and add that map into CTF.. Longbow is a good map IMO.

Although, I do wonder whats up with the extra bases in the back.. I kinda wonder if Dominion was originally 8v8 and had more than three bases to capture.. it seems a lot of the BTB maps have random, unused bases.

Overdoziz

Banned
Let's have a look, eh?

Oh.

Why?
Why? Because you can camp the shit out of all those badly designed structures on Longbow, that's why.

IHaveIce

Banned
I don't think Halo 4 should even be nominated if I were to be honest. The game doesn't excel in any aspect at all.

Story writing? There are much better written games out there.
Being CoD? CoD is always going to be better than a game trying to be CoD. Kinda like Halo used to be better than games that tried to emulate Halo.
Multiplayer? 4's is a broken mess
Map editor? Hahaha no.

The only redeeming factor is the visuals (in campaign. Multiplayer looks like ass 99% of the time)... and even then the obvious restraints caused by the jump is jarring.

I like the game, but if it gets GotY... I don't even know. I fear for what the hell Halo 5 will be like if they get 'rewarded' for some of the shit they put into 4.

It is IGN, I expect a lot of strange nominees

Havok

Why? Because you can camp the shit out of all those badly designed structures on Longbow, that's why.
I didn't like or accept that bandaid on Powerhouse or Boardwalk CTF, I don't like it here. If your shitty base is shitty, don't just put your flag in the middle of a killing field. That's a cop-out.
Couldn't be worse than Complex CTF
It could be Abandon CTF, which handily beats Complex CTF as the worst combination in my experience.

Why? Just because it's an old system doesn't mean it's out of date.

I'd argue that having non-power weapons on the map is a band aid solution. Back-tracking to weapon hunt isn't fun, and is counter-productive to the flow of a match. People should simply be dropping weapons when they die and you should have enough time to be able to grab them. If weapons wouldn't despawn so quickly, particularly primary weapons, this wouldn't be a discussion.

All in all though, if you're not near dying enemies or teammates, it's adapt-time.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'd argue that having non-power weapons on the map is a band aid solution. Back-tracking to weapon hunt isn't fun, and is counter-productive to the flow of a match. People should simply be dropping weapons when they die and you should have enough time to be able to grab them. If weapons wouldn't despawn so quickly, particularly primary weapons, this wouldn't be a discussion.

If you're not near dying enemies or teammates, it's adapt-time.
Yeah, I think that's a preferable way to go about it, but I think old school ammo boxes can work in some games. My appreciation for old school games has seen a resurgence lately, though, so maybe I'm just defensive, haha.

Overdoziz

Banned
I didn't like or accept that bandaid on Powerhouse or Boardwalk CTF, I don't like it here. If your shitty base is shitty, don't just put your flag in the middle of a killing field. That's a cop-out.
The bases are clearly designed for Heavies Dominion and it shows. It's the same with the bases on Exile which don't work for other gametypes at all either. I guess Certain Affinity really wanted to push their gametype.
Valhalla has one of the best base designs out of all the 'canyon with bases on it' Halo maps.

Striker

I will say that I'm glad they didn't put it in the base. Ragnarok's biggest success over Blood Gulch for me is that the flag is on the top. Gone is the motivation to have someone camp the bottom of the base.
Blood Gulch's base design was always bad. Coagulation improved it significantly; you had three levels along with being able to toss the flag so it was possible to get an escape in four different paths.

It doesn't get better in other Halo 4 maps except one. Exile has different base setups, and flags are outside on the grass anyways. Vortex has strange bases, completely different from one another, and not to mention both do not distinguish the team's color accordingly. Meltdown actually has them inside, which is expected from a Halo game. So I'm thinking BTB CTF might be just slightly less annoying than its current Infinity Slayer games. If camping was going to be a problem in the bases for Longbow, maybe having things like Camo and PV so players can easily anticipate the opposing enemy rush wasn't the brightest idea. In these games, if Zanzibar got remade, its flag would be outside in the courtyard - that's good, you know, because we can't have enemies camping the bases.

The structures in Dominion-Longbow are smaller than the outer bases in which Havok posted.

Havok

The bases are clearly designed for Heavies Dominion and it shows. It's the same with the bases on Exile which don't work for other gametypes at all either. I guess Certain Affinity really wanted to push their gametype.
Those aren't the Dominion bases, though. These are the initial team spawn bases.

I'd say that Halo 4 maps attempt to be jack of all trades, but they don't really succeed in that either. Especially considering the placement of the initial spawns for teams on certain maps (sup, Haven?)

Karl2177

Oh I won't argue that, but what is preventing the flag from at least going on the top of the base? Putting it in a field isn't doing less good than having it in a base.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
In this case, it's not the base that's bad... It's camo, promethean vision, the boltshot, and the beefed up AR*. Good luck trying to break into a base full of campers.

*I love the Halo 4 AR, but it can be problematic when considering all the other things that encourage/enable camping.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i'd pick halo 4 as my GotY hands down (and may anyways), but it really is too buggy at this point to run away with that title.

its only competition in 2012 is the amazing forza horizon.

zlatko

Banned
Oh both games that are/were crap at launch.

Borderlands 2 for sure

*shrug* I had no issues with my D3 or H4 experiences at launch though.

D3 I was always at work during server down times. I had fun playing solo, in co-op, and the various difficulties up to the final one. No glitches for me, and the gameplay was ace. Game has only gotten better too.

Halo 4 I'm in love with. Campaign was a blast, looked great, played great, and I enjoyed the story more than any other FPS I've played. SpOps missions suck, but story so far is interesting as hell.

As for MP I have stated my opinion in here and OT before, but I have fun with it every time I put it in. I've only experienced a handful of laggy games. Fast matchmaking for me and I enjoy almost all the game types.

Game of the year is Journey, followed by Borderlands and XCOM.

Perma Death bothered me in the early Xcoms cause the balance was never right, You faced harder and harder UFO's yet every now and then you lost a leveled, high stat dudebro and had to rebuy a lower leveled marine.

So basically I would start a mission pre-saved and then if I didn't like the results I would be loading up the save and trying again...not exactly good design when you just circumvent it by savestating.

Is it the same in this one?

If they came back after "being down" for a # of matches I think it would be better, you'd only have to fight handicapped for a period of time.

Anyways, I should really finally crack the seal on that game.

Perma-death was a problem in the beginning of the game for me, but now that my guys are leveled up it's not a problem anymore. I rarely have to reload because someone dies; good tactics and using trained soldiers will keep them alive pretty easily. Although I'll say that your solution would be a welcome addition, because I refuse to let anyone die and that would alleviate any potential frustration.

And you should play it, it's so good.

Blood Gulch's base design was always bad. Coagulation improved it significantly; you had three levels along with being able to toss the flag so it was possible to get an escape in four different paths.

It doesn't get better in other Halo 4 maps except one. Exile has different base setups, and flags are outside on the grass anyways. Vortex has strange bases, completely different from one another, and not to mention both do not distinguish the team's color accordingly. Meltdown actually has them inside, which is expected from a Halo game. So I'm thinking BTB CTF might be just slightly less annoying than its current Infinity Slayer games. If camping was going to be a problem in the bases for Longbow, maybe having things like Camo and PV so players can easily anticipate the opposing enemy rush wasn't the brightest idea. In these games, if Zanzibar got remade, its flag would be outside in the courtyard - that's good, you know, because we can't have enemies camping the bases.

The structures in Dominion-Longbow are smaller than the outer bases in which Havok posted.

I don't think so. The issue with "base camping" is in base size.

Zanzibar had a huge "base" with many entrances, and the flag was in an open area. As long as you can get to the flag and back out without having to go through a tiny opening surrounded by shotgun campers, bases work. That's why putting the flag on top of a base—ala Ragnarok—is a nice way to circumvent the issues associated with base camping. Zanzibar's open bottom area with garage door is another example of a good solution.

Dominion's interesting in contrast because it works despite its "flag inside" approach, in large part because of the fluidity of the mode (esp. if A and C aren't bisected by B).

All in all though, if you're not near dying enemies or teammates, it's adapt-time.

I don't think the game should take such a hard stance on your gamestyle, if someone wants to sit back and potshot and support the people going in closer to the action I don't see why they should be penalized. Put some weapons at the base and some a little forward let the middle be littered with dead's ammo and you got the map pretty covered with spare ammo. Worrying over ammo is more of a tactical games issues, shouldn't really be in Halo too much.

Really they just need to work on the weapon despawn time though. Several times I've just not been able to get to a dead teammates weapon in time even though I got there safely and left, wouldn't have been an issue at all if it didnt suddenly dissapear for no reason.

I'd really love to hear how Bungie feels about 343 butchering their beloved franchise.

I know we'll never find out, but I bet there is a certain degree of resentment, especially since Halo 4 goes against Bungie's design philosophies in so many ways
The again they did lay the foundation for Halo 4 with Reach...

The lack of ammo on maps was added as a high-concept form of attrition intended to nerf the power of players using long-range weapons without changing the characteristics of the weapons themselves.
This sounds correct but you're usually sarcastic, so...you're wrong?

Which is exactly what I use. Doesn't make it any more balanced. If you're going up against a Gauss Hog, and you have your Plasma Pistol and two stickies ready, realistically he's going to kill you around the same time you EMP them. You might be able to get a sticky off, but unless their Warthog is already damaged, it's unlikely to kill them in the first blow.

Now before you shout "Use teamwork!", let's be real - most, if any, go into Big Team or Dominion with a full team of 6 or 8. Even if you're using teamwork, a decently skilled player in the Gauss cannon will at least be able to trade kills. Either way, the probability of going against a Gauss Hog with a Plasma Pistol and Stickies versus being the Gauss gunner and living is infinitely smaller.

The same can be applied to the Scorpion as well. The Banshee not so much, for I feel it is far easily to destroy. But again, you can't sit there and say "just start with PP and stickies bro", because realistically that isn't the completely balanced solution. And this isn't even factoring in players with the Operator perk.

Im in no way saying its a balanced situation. I just feel the player is in a much better position now with the Plasma Pistol/Sticky combo. As opposed to the op hogs of Halo 3. Remember heavies in Halo 3 on Standoff? Sickening.

Myself and my friend only really play just the 2 of us, we regularly play Big Team/ Dominion. Havent really encountered a "Decent" Gauss or tank driver so my view on this is fairly personal. Any time i have been killed by one i immediately switch loadout and we have it taken down fairly quick.

The sandbox is in no way perfect. But with the loadouts there really is more opportunities to counter the vehicles in this game. I love Exile and dont really see the vehicles as a huge problem. Their placement leaves a lot to be desired though

Top Bottom