• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

TheOddOne

I know it has been discussed to death already, but I actually like it. I think more than anything it has great potential. If 343 wanted to, they could make some really crazy chapters. There is so much you can do with Forge and custom settings (look at that recent Slender gametype for an example), and I assume any of it could be implemented into SpOps, PLUS unique VO and cutscenes to compliment the gameplay.

There are a few really great ideas and awesome moments across the five episodes we've seen so far. I want to get into more specifics later when I have access to my Xbox and can look up which missions I'm referring to.
I've enjoyed a bunch of them immensely. Just wish it was more diverse and varied.

Karl2177

Next Halo in early stages of development, says 343 exec
It has also developed a plot-led series of co-op games called Spartan Ops, which has been widely praised by critics. A second season of the co-op mode, however, remains up in the air.

"Spartan Ops season 2 is yet to be decided, we're looking at how the first season does," said O'Connor.

"We got such great responses from [live-action web series] Forward Unto Dawn and Spartan Ops that we're pretty happy with it and we're learning a lot of really interesting stuff for the future," he added. "You are going to see a spectrum of Halo support though the next year and beyond."
kpTtT.gif

oprah.gif

Even IGN thinks it sucks.

Anyone know if custom options got fixed? Ie the broken respawn time

Via modding, yep.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Thanks for posting David.

Sure, if something changes in cert, you can remove it from the patch list. It hasn't been posted yet, could it not just be a document that grows and shrinks as the patch gets to the almost deployed stage, no?

As for the exploits comment, a bit hard to parse, makes me imagine a whole world of possibilities.
I don't necessarily agree that it means ye shouldn't include it, but it's hard to commit to say that without fulling appreciating the severity/risk involved.

The SpOps comment is interesting, but I never really had a problem with the environment reuse. Hell, I thought the MP usage was clever.
It's the gameplay that lets me down, unfortunately.

You mean a publicly released list that grows and shrinks? I've never heard of anything like that. You're just desperate to see what's in this TU huh?

I think we'll see bugs squashed as they're a higher priority than maybe weapon balances and such. For this first TU at least.

re: Shatter looking like Vortex...

I wish there was more variety in the art across the multiplayer maps. For an example, if you look at Halo 1-3 maps, you've got a snowy map, a desert map, an urban map, a forerunner map, a covenant map, a swamp map etc etc etc.

In Reach and Halo 4 you have a bunch of areas lifted from the campaign that are all very similar, either taking place on Reach or Requiem.

Seriously, 343 - I'd like at least one map that takes place on a traditional Halo. You even removed the Halo setting of Valhalla for some unknown reason.
I'm okay with the styles of the base game maps, but I was.. surprised and disappointed by the 3 maps in the first pack.
They're dull in my book because they just remind me of maps already in the game.
You mean a publicly released list that grows and shrinks? I've never heard of anything like that. You're just desperate to see what's in this TU huh?

I think we'll see bugs squashed as they're a higher priority than maybe weapon balances and such. For this first TU at least.
No, I said "it hasn't been posted yet". As in the days leading up to pushing the patch to Xbox Live, having an internal document that grows and shrinks and when the patch goes live, so does a Waypoint post with it. (Preferably some way of reading it ingame too).

It has also developed a plot-led series of co-op games called Spartan Ops, which has been widely praised by critics. A second season of the co-op mode, however, remains up in the air.

Evidently critics haven't actually played spartan ops.

- King of the Hill removed from matchmaking.

Called it as soon as we saw the leaked playlist screen. Expecting Oddball to go out the door soon, too. Both of those playlists were scraping by at like 2% of the population. Shocking, I know, gametypes that served as filler in grab bag objective playlists can't maintain a dedicated playlist population.

Wow, that's terrible. It was easily my favorite objective game type. Well, except when played on complex. Squad Slayer all over again?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm okay with the styles of the base game maps, but I was.. surprised and disappointed by the 3 maps in the first pack.
They're dull in my book because they just remind me of maps already in the game.

No, I said "it hasn't been posted yet". As in the days leading up to pushing the patch to Xbox Live, having an internal document that grows and shrinks and when the patch goes live, so does a Waypoint post with it. (Preferably some way of reading it ingame too).

lol sorry, I'm confusing up your posts. I'm sure you're right and some document like that exists that will just be made public when the patch is downloaded.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

That's the thing, that patch doesn't "go live" at the exact same time everywhere. Thus patch notes delay.

Wow, that's terrible. It was easily my favorite objective game type. Well, except when played on complex. Squad Slayer all over again?
At least they're taking the rotational approach and not axing the mode completely. I can certainly appreciate that type of playlist management.

Complex KOTH suffered from requiring the same amount of points to gain the hill as other, smaller maps. It took too long once you died to sprint across the map to get to the hill, and by then the other team had already won it. At least with the new feature you could concede the current location and just move toward the new hill, but the gametype still should have been tweaked to fit the size of the map.

JackHerer

So my account can finally go back online after almost two days of being locked out of servers. The only problem is that all my Pre-order armor and my unlocked specializations from the LE are gone... That probably means that my War Games DLC map pass has been wiped out too.

This is ridiculous. What can I do in this situation? I have a feeling complaining on the Waypoint forums won't accomplish much.

It's weird too because every time I go up a level it says that all that armor is now unlocked in the level up screen but it never appears in the armory.

So my account can finally go back online after almost two days of being locked out of servers. The only problem is that all my Pre-order armor and my unlocked specializations from the LE are gone... That probably means that my War Games DLC map pass has been wiped out too.

This is ridiculous. What can I do in this situation? I have a feeling complaining on the Waypoint forums won't accomplish much.

It's weird too because every time I go up a level it says that all that armor is now unlocked in the level up screen but it never appears in the armory.

Xbox guide-settings-account management-download history-redownload all Halo 4 content

Akai__

Just re-download them from your download history, I gues.

Edit: Beaten :lol

Fuchsdh

Thanks for the updates, Ellis.

But I'd still love a change log at or before the actual releases. Even if the exploit stuff is just "misc exploit fixes", it's nice to know.

(Still great we're getting these mostly painless and frequent updates, though.)

At this point this is more of an academic/philosophical discussion .. on the releasing of patch notes.
That's the thing, that patch doesn't "go live" at the exact same time everywhere. Thus patch notes delay.
Sure, 2 or 3 hours of leeway is fine, but what about pushing out a post "Cert have approved this, this patch will be going live in the next day or two:".

Don't Bethesda put out their patch notes before the actual patch is out?
This is slightly different because 343 are cracking knuckles to get it out within a week, but I believe the point stands.

The real question is will the new environments be as limited as the first half of the seasons were meaning will we see the same 4 or so environments over and over?
I really don't see how a rehash of environments is that big a deal, so long as the gameplay can be appropriately varied for each mission. Firefight reused assets and it was no big deal, and it's shouldn't be that big a deal for something that's touted to be a hybrid of FF and campaign. Having something like scoring, skulls, and difficulty scaling is far more relevant to keeping the mode fresh and replayable than the re-use of spaces.

At least they're taking the rotational approach and not axing the mode completely. I can certainly appreciate that type of playlist management.

Complex KOTH suffered from requiring the same amount of points to gain the hill as other, smaller maps. It took too long once you died to sprint across the map to get to the hill, and by then the other team had already won it. At least with the new feature you could concede the current location and just move toward the new hill, but the gametype still should have been tweaked to fit the size of the map.

In my opinion the main issue of Complex KOTH was how on some of the hills it was impossible to play the objective since they were completely open from the top of the one base.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm trying to read the book before watching GoT. The first book is sooooo slow though. I'm to where Lady Stark arrives in the big capital city.

I'm trying to read the book before watching GoT. The first book is sooooo slow though. I'm to where Lady Stark arrives in the big capital city.

Good call. It's more fun to read it first. Pacing is actually pretty great in the first few books. If you think it's slow just keep going and eventually something crazy will happen.

That is what I think too. Things that should have been fixed before release. I wonder when this game is actually going to be finished? When are they going to update the game to the condition it should have been on November 6th?

They should have had a beta but didn't because it would have killed sales for all the purists that would have shit over the changes. That is why this game is so far behind.

In my opinion the main issue of Complex KOTH was how on some of the hills it was impossible to play the objective since they were completely open from the top of the one base.
Right, one of the bigger flaws of Complex is the rooftop access. The argument could be made that you could always attempt to control the roof as well as the hill, but unless you have a team, that type of strategy is extremely rare.

Keep at it. You're not even down the rabbit hole yet.

Enfinit

Just read the bulletin. Man I want that truck. F150 Raptor's been a dream vehicle of mine for a while now, it would be a dream come true to have the dream vehicle based off Halo. Although someone will find a way to hack their way to the top of the leaderboards and ruin any dream I have.

How exactly will the War Games part of the tournament operate? If it's anything that's not a random drawing then it'll be bullshit. Every statistic in this game is boostable, from K/D, to time spent playing, to most kills/medals, etc.

From the rules, it states that EXP will be the primary factor in the leaderboards. EXP boils down to time spent playing, thus how is this a fair tournament for all? Is double XP factored in? It saddens me that I virtually have no chance because the one-two hours a day I spend playing this game is nothing compared to the 16 year-old who's home schooled and has a pile of pictures of Double XP™codes from Doritos™ bags that he took on his iPhone™ when he went to the grocery store with his mom.

Guess I'm actually going to have to work for my dream vehicle. :-(

Also, I'd love to win epic prizing.

1xN6W

How are you going to hold a tournament with a multi-billion dollar sponsor with thousands of applicants and prizes, yet you can't even spell check the promo. For fuck's sake.

EDIT: Also, KotH being taken out? Just combine Oddball, KotH, and CTF into a Skirmish playlist already. Objective numbers are pathetic (and they shouldn't be!).

Booties

Banned
I'm surprised they axed KotH. I felt they really improved it in Halo 4. Making hill "life" based on a set number of points it can give was a great idea. Keeping hill lives short made the game less repetitive. Pair that with not being able to pick up grenades from corspes (most of the time) and it was much better than halo 3. I get they have lots of playlists and dominion is similar, but it's a classic that got the face lift it needed so why trash it? They obviously invested some time into making it work. Give it more than a month.

It really doesn't make sense to me why they got rid of assault and KotH, but kept oddball and flag. They all came from the same place, why arbitrarily cut them? At least we can still make KotH customs. RIP Assault.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm surprised they axed KotH. I felt they really improved it in Halo 4. Making hill "life" based on a set number of points it can give was a great idea. Keeping hill lives short made the game less repetitive. Pair that with not being able to pick up grenades from corspes (most of the time) and it was much better than halo 3. I get they have lots of playlists and dominion is similar, but it's a classic that got the face lift it needed so why trash it? They obviously invested some time into making it work. Give it more than a month.

It really doesn't make sense to me why they got rid of assault and KotH, but kept oddball and flag. They all came from the same place, why arbitrarily cut them? At least we can still make KotH customs. RIP Assault.

I'd guess population count. Were oddball and flag higher? I like oddball and flag more than KoTH, but I didn't dislike it.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

Because their UI can only display so many playlists at a time.

Booties

Banned
New playlist: Classic objective, put all the old halo objectives in one playlist. You have 3 game types and 3 voting options. So.......

I'd guess population count. Were oddball and flag higher? I like oddball and flag more than KoTH, but I didn't dislike it.

They both were over 1,000 most of the day and only separated by a couple hundred players at any time.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What the fuck, they got rid of KotH?! The best playlist in the goddamn game?

What the fuck am I supposed to play next week now?

Conor 419

Banned
Oh, look, KotH is gone...another tradgedy that could have been prevented with a server browser.

I'm really beginning to empathise with the Lord Commander's of The Night's Watch, it's tough saving the world when nobody acknowledges the solution.

FyreWulff

So they can or can't do what they did with Gears of War?

Make everyone download the new War Games map for free, but they are only playable through Spartan Ops.

That was what they did with Gears. Everyone got the first Map Pack for free, but only private matches were available to people that purchased the maps. This way everyone has the maps for Spartan Ops, and if they buy them for War Games it is just a quick key..

That mostly happened because Epic botched how Gears 3 handled the first DLC pack actually being on disc though.

New playlist: Classic objective, put all the old halo objectives in one playlist. You have 3 game types and 3 voting options. So.......

They both were over 1,000 most of the day and only separated by a couple hundred players at any time.

This is what I don't get, combine the objective playlists into one and also turn BTB Infinity Slayer into BTB (including objective games and slayer games). That condenses it down to where you will have more people in these playlists with a wider variety of games to be voted on. Just try to weight everything evenly unlike BTB in Reach which was 90% Slayer/Heavies and 10% Objective which was stupid.

Also I don't get the immense hate for Spartan Ops. Yes, it does need some work (new maps, better and more varied objectives, better encounters, etc...) but overall I have had some great moments playing with friends (really wish there was theater for it). It isn't firefight but I am enjoying the story and having a somewhat different objective each time I play a new mission is fun. They just need to work on it, if they can fix some of the major complaints, I can see it sticking around.

Top Bottom