• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Something that I'm dealing with in Halo 4 right now that's a new experience for me. I don't pretend to be some pro Halo player, and there is certainly plenty of HaloGAF players much better than me, but I've always been better than most of the matchmaking world out there (not just in Halo either, other shooters that I play). The thing I've been dealing with in Halo 4 is that I suck. It's odd, there isn't really anything about the gameplay that puts me off the game much, but I'm just getting sick of playing mediocre compared to the rest of the field. Turns out donging on people all the time is fun.
Are you doing pro slayer? That's helped me out a lot. No invis campers everywhere. No PV people knowing where I am at every single second of the game. Not as much ordnance stuff. No AA's outside of sprint. Would be even better without sprint, but oh well. Although I did play one game of pro slayer with crazy croatia and got destroyed.

orznge

Banned
Rockets were in the middle and easily accessible to both... those weren't the issue. My issue is them, by chance alone getting a sniper on that spawn, while we do not. We DID have the better position, we had the high side of the map. You in purp, me yellow, cam on the cliff, and medin top mid.

Game looks a lot different if we get a balanced weapon spawn... or if we get the snipe and they don't... we had to turtle hard because of their fortunate snipe... If snipe spawns on our side... I'm willing to bet a shit ton we win that game if it's in any of our hands.

If there was a way to predict that spawn with certainty, then we are fighting over position to grab that and we win or lose on our own merits. The way it is now, wins and losses will be the result of a playing field tilted by percent chance.

That's the cool part about Global Ordinance. Typically, in the past, certain positions on the map were worth more than others to too great an extent. Now the aforementioned positions are worth less, and the map locations are more balanced.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
That's the cool part about Global Ordinance. Typically, in the past, certain positions on the map were worth more than others to too great an extent. Now the aforementioned positions are worth less, and the map locations are more balanced.

Seriously, you're going to burn yourself out. At least use the Kyle method of posting one sarcastic shot per every 6 hours. Wait, is Kyle a bot? Are YOU a bot?

Does 343 have a way to add the red X back into the game?

They actually said they were looking into it.

there needs to be some legit, regular weapon spawns, not only because there just aren't enough and the ones that are are too random, but because it seems like it's the only way we're going to get some universal callouts in this game. So many of the maps just look the same on both sides and have no distinct monuments or anything so it's really difficult to come up with ways to tell your team where enemies are. Couple that with the lack of death x's and the UI not telling you when a teammate is shooting and it's a huge blow to team communication

Tawpgun

Whoever made Relay lacks common sense.

There's a side of the map with a reddish nebula and the other side has a blueish nebula.

WHY WOULDNT YOU PUT THE RED AND BLUE BASES THERE

CliQ

there needs to be some legit, regular weapon spawns, not only because there just aren't enough and the ones that are are too random, but because it seems like it's the only way we're going to get some universal callouts in this game. So many of the maps just look the same on both sides and have no distinct monuments or anything so it's really difficult to come up with ways to tell your team where enemies are. Couple that with the lack of death x's and the UI not telling you when a teammate is shooting and it's a huge blow to team communication

Adrift is the biggest culprit of this.

Rockets were in the middle and easily accessible to both... those weren't the issue. My issue is them, by chance alone getting a sniper on that spawn, while we do not. We DID have the better position, we had the high side of the map. You in purp, me yellow, cam on the cliff, and medin top mid.

Game looks a lot different if we get a balanced weapon spawn... or if we get the snipe and they don't... we had to turtle hard because of their fortunate snipe... If snipe spawns on our side... I'm willing to bet a shit ton we win that game if it's in any of our hands.

If there was a way to predict that spawn with certainty, then we are fighting over position to grab that and we win or lose on our own merits. The way it is now, wins and losses will be the result of a playing field tilted by percent chance.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/halo-4/Engineer

Although a "couple seconds" doesn't sound like enough time for the Engineer to make the callout and have your team push into the beach.

Yeah, choosing aesthetics over making veritable RED and BLUE sides to every map is frustrating. Seeing Haven callouts as subtle as OPEN and CLOSED because of some windows on one side is not a good thing.

Adrift is the biggest culprit of this.
Solace, Haven, and Complex have much of the same issues too, but yeah Adrift is impossible. "He's one shot in..uh...that one hallway...with a lift...not sure what side"

Yeah, choosing aesthetics over making veritable RED and BLUE sides to every map is frustrating. Seeing Haven callouts as subtle as OPEN and CLOSED because of some windows on one side is not a good thing.
it's not even just red or blue, just have something. Like Guardian has Gold 1 and Gold 2, Tree, Snipe 1-3, etc. On some of these maps there's just nothing

GhaleonEB

if weapon spawning is random...why not random vehicle spawns?!?!!??!

I think the !?!?!? implies sarcasm, but I agree. The exact same thought process that led to global ordnance could be applied to vehicles just as easily. Sometimes you get a Wraith. Sometimes a Mongoose.

And the same thought process that results in that notion being a very bad idea should have resulted in global ordnance getting axed in the brainstorming phase of production.

Gray Man

Banned
Solace, Haven, and Complex have much of the same issues too, but yeah Adrift is impossible. "He's one shot in..uh...that one hallway...with a lift...not sure what side"

Really? I think its pretty easy to do call outs, that map easier than some others.

However Complex is really starting to get on my nerves, something needs to be done about the fact half the map is never played on.

Trey

I think the !?!?!? implies sarcasm, but I agree. The exact same thought process that led to global ordnance could be applied to vehicles just as easily. Sometimes you get a Wraith. Sometimes a Mongoose.

And the same thought process that results in that notion being a very bad idea should have resulted in global ordnance getting axed in the brainstorming phase of production.

No, it couldn't, because vehicles dramatically change the scope of game play in a greater degree than any weapon.

orznge

Banned
Listen guys who are usually putting forth effort to expand peoples' understanding of FPS design, I think what you're doing is nihilistic. And your "ironic humor" is just outing yourselves as an emotional children.

Tawpgun

No, it couldn't, because vehicles dramatically change the scope of game play in a greater degree than any weapon.

Not really. With power weapons galore and plasma pistol/grenades in loadouts, vehicles outside the scorpion, gauss, banshee and mantis can get like 4 kills max before dying.

CliQ

While we are at it about changes. I think removing the tank on Exile and replacing it with a mantis would be better. Driving the tank on exile feels like your being squeezed with the narrow driving paths. But, in a Mantis it may feel like there is a little more breathing room. It'd not like the tank is overpowered because of the narrow driving lines, but still I think its not a good map to showcase a tank. Vortex is acceptable.

CliQ

Well for the basses you have Man Cannon landing. You've got the top platform in your base, in the middle you have Top Middle, etc, etc.

At least to me the call-outs aren't any more difficult then on most other maps.

Tell me the callouts of the six different hallways and do it so I know which one is which.

GhaleonEB

If you draw a spectrum, sure, they're at different points on the spectrum. But the argument that one damages the game to a lesser degree than the other is not a very persuasive argument.

My post was saying this: if adding a global ordnance-style rotation to vehicles is a very bad idea, what makes is a good idea with power weapons? It is, at best, not as bad an idea. Which is why it should have stopped dead right there.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Not really. With power weapons galore and plasma pistol/grenades in loadouts, vehicles outside the scorpion, gauss, banshee and mantis can get like 4 kills max before dying.

You'd think that, then you go on 35 kill rampages. Most drops don't have vehicle killing weapons, and most randoms are too dumb to know what a plasma pistol does.

Enfinit

Yeah the next sentence is usually "ah fuck it insta respawn. I'll sprint there and get him myself"
RIP oneshot on my X
The best part is, with insta-spawn, I can run to that location and one-shot them before their shields even begin to recharge. It blows my mind that I can battle someone, die, respawn, and clean up my own kill.

Best level to farm hunters in SpOps?
The end of Chapter 2 in Episode 1 has a couple Hunters at the end. I know there's another chapter in Episode 2 with them in it, however I forgot which one it was, or if it's shorter than Ch. 2 Ep. 1. I've been needing to get this challenge done too.

EDIT: Hacksaw. (Thanks Havok).

I consider the Banshee the lowest out of the four "power" vehicles, especially on Ragnarok. On that map I usually always go for the sniper, and because I use the ammo perk, I get 16 shots. It takes 6-7 sniper shots to destroy a Banshee (less if you're team shotting), so I can usually down the thing from when it leaves their base and before it gets to the middle of the map.

Make that 15-30 seconds and maybe it matters... at "a couple" it's not timely enough to make coordinated pushes in evenly matched games filled with skilled people.

I hope it's longer. I love the idea of classes or roles within the game. Having someone as Engineer to spot ordnance sounds clever. That increases teamwork, my favorite aspect of any shooter.

Lets just say my times in the warthog haven't been too fun
You can get blown to shit pretty quickly in just about any vehicle sometimes. But even still, vehicles are your best bet to turn the tide or help support a push in BTB. And the best way to get use out of the vehicles otherwise is to have infantry support to help defend against those power weapons.

I know global and personal ordnance has changed the rhythm that grizzled Halo veterans have come to expect or hope for, but I think some people may be missing the new rhythms that Halo 4's system encourages. I've seen a lot of push and pull in BTB games, and turnarounds where one team could hold all the advantages from the beginning, but get overrun once the other team got their shit together and counter-attacked with some smarts.

Lets just say my times in the warthog haven't been too fun

You have to adapt a little, I'd say. In the past, running people down in the hog made sense. Now you really need to keep a little distance so you might avoid or survive any plasma. Against skilled players it can be a fool's errand, but Halo 4: Skilled and Halo 4: Nurbs is such a vastly different scenario. Catering to both is tricky. In one world, the Mantis is overpowered. In the other, it's a pushover.

I'd say the only consistently offensive vehicles are the Gauss Hog and to a lesser extent, the Scorpion.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Oh, it's strict? I'm terrible at time-keeping apparently. I was guessing drops and was always off by a handful of seconds. Checking Forge for weapon spawns is a great idea, though. It'd be nice if the announcer would chime in with "RESUPPLY" ala Dominion or something to key people into checking their ordnance indicators.

Thanks for the input, Tashi.

It's off by like tenths of a second each drop that just accumulates towards the end. Last drop seems to be like a second late. Other than that it's pretty much right on time.

No way they definitely had better positioning to get rockets. They spawn right in front of the lift. Not only do they have quicker access but they also have the team backing them up because of the angle.

Top Bottom