• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 |OT| Nov. 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

big ander

Solo said:
Well, I think its like I mentioned earlier - unlike Columbus, Newell, and Yates, I don't think Cuaron was looking at his movie as Harry Potter movie first and foremost, but rather as a coming of age tale presented in the Harry Potter world. And being the strongest filmmaker of the 4, its no surprise that his film has the most personal and stylistic touches on it.

I agree that it stands out, but in a good way.
By itself, I love the film. Honestly, it might be number one when looking at them individually. But as part of the entire saga, it's always felt slightly out of place to me, and that's why I rank it a bit lower.
Medalion said:
He is referring to the Horcrux scene with Ron, dunno how u could forget that unless u left during that scene
Ah nah didn't forget that. I thought he meant ACTUAL Harry and Ron.

Solo

big ander said:
By itself, I love the film. Honestly, it might be number one when looking at them individually. But as part of the entire saga, it's always felt slightly out of place to me, and that's why I rank it a bit lower.

I find GoF is the movie that stands out in a BAD way. Not just because the script is a complete clusterfuck, but I even hate little things like how all the guys are rocking douchey looking longer hair :lol I was happy when OotP rolled around and Harry had gotten a haircut.

neoism

Solo said:
Well, I think its like I mentioned earlier - unlike Columbus, Newell, and Yates, I don't think Cuaron was looking at his movie as Harry Potter movie first and foremost, but rather as a coming of age tale presented in the Harry Potter world. And being the strongest filmmaker of the 4, its no surprise that his film has the most personal and stylistic touches on it.

Not sure what he did, but he's the best director that's worked on the series... would have been awesome if he did them all. :( Still reallly glad they got Desplat, I would have loved them to have gotten Williams back, but Desplat is probably my fav/second behind John. I only found out about Desplat 3 years ago. <3

big ander

Solo said:
I find GoF is the movie that stands out in a BAD way. Not just because the script is a complete clusterfuck, but I even hate little things like how all the guys are rocking douchey looking longer hair :lol I was happy when OotP rolled around and Harry had gotten a haircut.
Oh, the douche hair was in no way a little thing for me :lol :lol I remember raging when we knew that they were all going to have long hair.
GoF is probably the only one I've only seen twice (well, other than DH Pt.1, which is once). So I don't remember the GoF movie a ton. But I remember disliking the way they handled the graveyard, disliking what they did with Moody, hating this Cedric, and more. I'll probably go back to the film and pin down other specifics I hated before DH2 comes around.

Shorty

Banned
Solo said:
Didn't really mind the haircuts. The worst thing about GoF for me was angry Dumbledore.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHJeqnU_rtE

comic_book_vs_movie_dumbledore_by_kellywormtongue.jpg

Cyan

Banned
Shorty said:
Didn't really mind the haircuts. The worst thing about GoF for me was angry Dumbledore.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHJeqnU_rtE
Urgh. I remember reading an interview with that director, and they asked him about angry Dumbledore. He mentions that he hasn't read the books, but "in all these boarding school stories, the students are absolutely terrified of the headmaster, so I tried to get a little of that in there."

*facepalm*

Ashhong

Cyan said:
Urgh. I remember reading an interview with that director, and they asked him about angry Dumbledore. He mentions that he hasn't read the books, but "in all these boarding school stories, the students are absolutely terrified of the headmaster, so I tried to get a little of that in there."

*facepalm*
:lol :lol :lol

I watched GOF last night, and I kind of attributed it to Dumbledore being frightened for Harry and worried.

tak

Cyan said:

*facepalm*
That depresses me.

Stridone

Banned
big ander said:
I disagree. This was one of my favorite parts of the book and would have been a huge part of the movie. I wanted Harry to really cry.

Really? I thought his quiet sobbing was already too much. He never even knew his parents, why would he get so emotional?

big ander

Stridone said:
Really? I thought his quiet sobbing was already too much. He never even knew his parents, why would he get so emotional?
They were still his parents. Through the Weasley's essentially taking him in and hearing so much about his parents, he knows what he's lost.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm glad Emma Watson's playing Hermione, even my girlfriend admitted she was smoking hot all throughout the movie, but it's kind of silly seeing every other woman in the film getting outclassed by her. And I loled at Ginny. Luna's actress was probably the only girl comparable to Watson.

Solo said:
Oh, its quite possible, but then you'd get 7 movies like PS and CoS, which are extremely faithful, but very bad movies. Adaptation isn't about taking a novel and putting it word for had on the screen like Columbus did in the first 2 films (which I'm assuming your GF probably loves). Its about remaining true to the themes and heart of the novel while making the story work for the medium of film, which almost always entails making lots of changes to the source material for the screenplay. Prisoner of Azkaban isn't anywheres near as faithful as PS or CoS, but its 10x the movie either of them are due to having a true filmmaker at the helm who crafted an excellent coming of age tale dressed up in Harry Potter clothing.

Solo, its not my grilfriend I was talking about, it was Owens' one :lol
But yeah, crish colombus' are super faithfull movies, and thats one of the thing that made them not really good (the 2nd one is horrendous).
Im with you also about the dance scene, is a really good and beautifull friendship scene.

Christopher

to be honest I thought it was boring...

plus no Harry Potter movie since the second one really had charm/magic that I loved.

Christopher

Solo said:

Cuaron changed everything about the films the new ones are WAY too dark I didn't mind the direction but what happened to the lighting??

big ander

Christopher said:
Cuaron changed everything about the films the new ones are WAY too dark I didn't mind the direction but what happened to the lighting??
Do you only mean dark as in lighting or do you also mean darker in tone?
The darker tone was also in the books. It's a fairly basic narrative structure. We're shown how everything "should" be, we're presented with conflict, things take a turn for the worse, and then problems are solved.

BTW Did somebody catch the Twilight pun
before the tale of the three brothers by Ron
people in my theater seemed to have caught it and laughed.

The quote is somewhat different than in the book, to enfasize in the word twilight, although very similar, so I think it was a pun, but reading internet opinions people say that is not.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I was thinking about the movie some more today and I have to say that the animated portion for the Tale of the 3 Brothers(or whatever it was called) was incredible. The animation was fantastic and I would definitely watch an entire production from the crew that made that.

Ashhong

SpacePirate Ridley said:

The quote is somewhat different than in the book, to enfasize in the word twilight, although very similar, so I think it was a pun, but reading internet opinions people say that is not.

What was it? Twilight vs what?

I loved the movie but it really annoys me that our protagonists are still defending themselves with the same inconsequential spells that they've been using since they were children. With the stakes as high as they are, they should be defending themselves with lethal magic.

How can you expect to win a war when your opponent uses live rounds when you're only willing to use bean bags?

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
SpacePirate Ridley said:

Yes, I did notice that. Ron wanted to say midnight instead of Twilight.

Haly

WickedAngel said:
I loved the movie but it really annoys me that our protagonists are still defending themselves with the same inconsequential spells that they've been using since they were children. With the stakes as high as they are, they should be defending themselves with lethal magic.

How can you expect to win a war when your opponent uses live rounds when you're only willing to use bean bags?
I don't think Rowling ever took the magic really seriously, the story was always about a bunch of kids having adventures. By the end of the book you'd think the only spells in existence were the three curses and Harry's Signature Move.

big ander

Numerous lethal spells would not work in the movies or books.
Murder is the highest sin and is the reason for the immense evil of the antagonist. The series is fantasy, and having multiple anti-heros wouldn't work all too well.
There could be more attack spells, however.

Bit-Bit

WickedAngel said:

I like to think that the gang has their wands set to stun. Wheras the bad guys has theirs set to lethal.

Though to be fair, the spells that can do actual harm requires the user to truly mean it. And I don't think they have it in them to mean actual harm on anyone. Also disarming someone and then paralyzingly them is just as affective.

Haly

Hermione is also capable of a wide range of curses, and they can probably use magic to enchant or attack someone with objects (she does cast protective barriers each time they move) but honestly a Stupefy spell is probably a lot simpler and more effective.

Also neither Harry nor Ron were exactly experts with their wands.

big ander

Halycon said:
Hermione is also capable of a wide range of curses, and they can probably use magic to enchant or attack someone with objects (she does cast protective barriers each time they move) but honestly a Stupefy spell is probably a lot simpler and more effective.

Also neither Harry nor Ron were exactly experts with their wands.
That's the thing, though, by the 7th book they aren't too shabby with them. They're actually pretty effective.

Penguin

Solo said:

Glad wasn't the only one who hated those haircuts, like someone forgot to get them to look proper for the movie.

And no one got a haircut the ENTIRE year, even the Yule Ball?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Cuaron made the best Harry Potter movie because he's the only director that understand that the magic should be inconsequential & accepted out of hand. Harry lives in a magic world, so it shouldn't be "OMFG MAGIC!!!" all the time like it is in the majority of the other movies. One of the absolute worst offenders is on GoF when Harry enters the magically-growing tent and gets this AMAZED look on his face and exclaims (to himself) "I love magic!"

Contrast that to PoA, where a dude in the leaky cauldron is stirring the spoon in his drink with magic in the corner of the frame.

This was really good. The best Harry Potter movie yet.

Now that most of the setup is out of the way. In Part 2 I'm hoping for some extended fight scenes with a wide array of spells. They cut the big battle in HBP, so there had better be at least one here.

Saw it today. Easily my favorite of the Potter films. I was completely gripped from beginning to end and I can't wait to watch part 2 in June.

Also, this movie is fucking gorgeous.

Lkr

I guess those moments aren't worthy of man tears when you've known for years that it happens. I don't know how you can say
Dobby was a developed character based on the movies alone. I mean they didn't even include SPEW. They also replaced key Dobby moments in GoF and OoTP with Neville.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Lkr said:
I guess those moments aren't worthy of man tears when you've known for years that it happens. I don't know how you can say
Dobby was a developed character based on the movies alone. I mean they didn't even include SPEW. They also replaced key Dobby moments in GoF and OoTP with Neville.

I don't think he was any more well developed in the books. He did more, sure, but it didn't really do anything to his character.

Medalion

Banned
SpacePirate Ridley said:

Glad I wasn't the only who caught that... my viewing on Friday, everybody chuckled at that bit...

big ander said:
Believe it or not,
___Dobby's__
been one of the better developed characters of the series, so
his death was pretty shocking.
you mean in the books. definitely insignificant for us who didn't read the books. I was very apathetic. :-(

people who have read the books have a very different appreciation for that character than that which was created by the movies.

big ander said:
Believe it or not,
___Dobby's__
been one of the better developed characters of the series, so
his death was pretty shocking.

The same here : ( Even if I knew it was going to happen I cry a little bit x.x , too bad I was the only one, and maybe my gf

big ander

Dreams-Visions said:
you mean in the books. definitely insignificant for us who didn't read the books. I was very apathetic. :-(

people who have read the books have a very different appreciation for that character than that which was created by the movies.
Nah, he was still pretty close to Harry in the movies. In my opinion, at least.

Manus

Loved the movie
but absolutely hated the part where it showed Hermione and Harry making it. I mean why did they have to throw that in there for?
This one probably had my favorite opening of all the Potter films.

DrForester said:
How was the dialogue changed there from the book? In the book he interrupts with the way his mom told the story.

In the book Ron never says the ironic phrase
"Well, twilight is good, maybe even better" (the book he only says, "Sorry, I just think its a bit spookier if its midnight"
, and in the movie the twilight quote is really emphasized. BUT maybe it was our spanish dub that tried to emphasize the pun the way Ron says it, as the opinions of the people in the internet say that there was no pun whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom