• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 |OT| Nov. 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owensboro

Hah! I was right. The GF agreed that it was a good movie, but that all she wants to see is what happens in the next movie. This is almost exactly what happened with The Phantom Menace. I know I wasn't the only one that just wanted to see Anakin turn into Darth Vader.

ultron87

Was from the book Harry as dumb as movie Harry when it came to jumping into a frozen pond by yourself in the middle of the night? And not even setting up a rope or some sort of magical spell to help himself get out?

I liked this movie a lot

I like that they didn't joke with the dooorkness on this one. It made the human moments a lot better. I liked the part with harry and Hermione dancing, it really put things in perspective. And of course, dobby

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
really didn't like the movie.. script, acting and fx were perfectly fine, but to me it honestly seemed like they just shot a 4.5 hour movie and just cut it exactly at the 2.25 hour mark. film will probably hold up significantly better when watched back to back with part 2, but I kind of felt like we wasted our money.

definitely won't be seeing this a second time in the theater, but it's purchase on BD is a foregone conclusion and I AM crazy excited for the finale. :)

fyi I thought book 7 was the highlight of the series and it hit every expectation I had for it. So I may have had the bar set high on this, but really the let down wasn't anything in the translation, just that it felt like a really incomplete movie experience as a whole. movies are supposed to have a beginning, middle and end and this one REALLY just had a beginning and really long middle.

borghe said:
really didn't like the movie.. script, acting and fx were perfectly fine, but to me it honestly seemed like they just shot a 4.5 hour movie and just cut it exactly at the 2.25 hour mark.

That's exactly what they did. The Deathly Hallows was one really freakishly long script.

Jb

ultron87 said:
Was from the book Harry as dumb as movie Harry when it came to jumping into a frozen pond by yourself in the middle of the night? And not even setting up a rope or some sort of magical spell to help himself get out?
Harry is written as a very impulsive guy, so yeah he does a lot of dumb things throughout the books.

Jay-B said:
Harry is written as a very impulsive guy, so yeah he does a lot of dumb things throughout the books.
Not to mention, it's been explicitly stated in OotP that Harry has a love for playing the lone hero, which Voldy exploited several times.
Troll, Quirrel, basilisk, floppy Sirius rescue...
. He's a Gryffindor after all, who sometimes acts dumb out of sheer courage. Yes, we Slytherins are also brave, but not stupid. For instance, given the choice, we'd rather save our own heads.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
WyndhamPrice said:
That's exactly what they did. The Deathly Hallows was one really freakishly long script.

It's a shame they didn't realise that one long script doesn't equal two good movies.

ultron87 said:
Was from the book Harry as dumb as movie Harry when it came to jumping into a frozen pond by yourself in the middle of the night?

This sequence was where the screenwriter had to make the trio seem monumentally dim to avoid pissing the audience off with unresolved plot points. Harry explicitly tells Ron that the doe wasn't his Patronus but apparently the fact that there was another unknown person there watching them was of no interest to them. Hermione never questions why the sword of Gryffindor just happens to turn up in a pond in the middle of a forest she visited once with her parents. Just dreadful writing.

dmshaposv

Solo said:
Time for the annual (well, not annual, but close enough) ranking of the Potter movies. I apologize in advance for shitting the thread up by starting list wars :lol

1. Prisoner of Azkaban
2. The Death Hallows: Part 1
3. Order of the Phoenix
4. Half-Blood Prince
5. Philosopher's Stone
6. Chamber of Secrets
7. Goblet of Fire

Good man, exactly as how I'd rate the series. If Pt.2 is just as good as Pt. 1 I'm willing to push Deathly Hallows above PoA, purely on the merit of much improved acting.

theJwac

All in all, I really enjoyed this adaptation. One omission bummed me out though: In the book, Voldemort comes to Godric's Hollow as Nagini reveals itself and attacks Harry. As Voldemort is arriving into Bathilda's house, Harry relives the murder of his parents but through Voldemort's eyes due to their connection.

I really wanted to see this portrayed in the film. We saw a glimpse of it in the first film but now with Voldemort's actor established and the weight of all the films behind it, the story is much more impacting.
It also sets up some crucial foreshadowing.

I'm really curious to see how they close out the story in Part 2, especially because of the omissions from HBP which I feel was the absolute weakest entry in the series. Far too many crucial plot points were left out that directly affect the overall story, but I digress.

Cyan

Banned
theJwac said:
I'm really curious to see how they close out the story in Part 2, especially because of the omissions from HBP which I feel was the absolute weakest entry in the series. Far too many crucial plot points were left out that directly affect the overall story, but I digress.
Hmm. Which ones?

DarkWish

theJwac said:
All in all, I really enjoyed this adaptation. One omission bummed me out though: In the book, Voldemort comes to Godric's Hollow as Nagini reveals itself and attacks Harry. As Voldemort is arriving into Bathilda's house, Harry relives the murder of his parents but through Voldemort's eyes due to their connection.

I really wanted to see this portrayed in the film. We saw a glimpse of it in the first film but now with Voldemort's actor established and the weight of all the films behind it, the story is much more impacting.
It also sets up some crucial foreshadowing.
My idea for how Part 2 opens is... WB logo, flashback of Voldemort killing Harry's parents, Deathly Hallows Part 2 logo, and then the movie begins. I think that would be a good way to open the movie, with a reminder of how it all began.

Reknoc

Just came back from seeing it. Really enjoyed it, much more than I thought I would since all I really remember from the book was a bunch of boring camping. The film still had way too much boring camping but the action stuff was still great. Maybe it's because it was the first one I've bothered to go into the cinema to see but CGI Dobby really creeped me out.

First thing I thought of during the Bill Nighy bit was Killzone 2 =/

Medalion

Banned
Reknoc said:
Just came back from seeing it. Really enjoyed it, much more than I thought I would since all I really remember from the book was a bunch of boring camping. The film still had way too much boring camping but the action stuff was still great. Maybe it's because it was the first one I've bothered to go into the cinema to see but CGI Dobby really creeped me out.

First thing I thought of during the Bill Nighy bit was Killzone 2 =/
Dobby looked as he did from CoS... No improvements almost whatsoever

Solo

Medalion said:
Dobby looked as he did from CoS... No improvements almost whatsoever

You are crazy. He looks like a PS2 cutscene in CoS, whereas in DH he was much more believable.

NJ Shlice

I have a question about the book:

I'm up to the part where
they just broke into Gringnotts and stole the Hufflepuff Cup. My question is: How did he know that the cup was a Horcrux. It sort of came out of nowhere. They went to the vault knowing something special was in there (probably a Horcrux) then when they get in there all the sudden Harry is like "That's it!" How did he know? I had never heard any mention of it before that point.

Cyan

Banned
NJ Shlice said:

I'm up to the part where
they just broke into Gringnotts and stole the Hufflepuff Cup. My question is: How did he know that the cup was a Horcrux. It sort of came out of nowhere. They went to the vault knowing something special was in there (probably a Horcrux) then when they get in there all the sudden Harry is like "That's it!" How did he know? I had never heard any mention of it before that point.
It was introduced in the sixth book as a probable horcrux, and I think they talked about it a few times in the seventh book before it finally showed up.

NJ Shlice

Cyan said:
It was introduced in the sixth book as a probable horcrux, and I think they talked about it a few times in the seventh book before it finally showed up.

Okay, thanks.

also, seeing as in the movie for part 1 they totally ignored the fact that
the whole dumbledore lies controversy was over his younger sister, how do you think they are going to handle the whole Harry and gang meeting Aberforth and him telling the truth about his sister. Or do you think they will just leave all that out of the movie for part 2

DarkWish

NJ Shlice said:
Okay, thanks.

the whole dumbledore lies controversy was over his younger sister, how do you think they are going to handle the whole Harry and gang meeting Aberforth and him telling the truth about his sister. Or do you think they will just leave all that out of the movie for part 2
I think
Aberforth will definitely get more into Dumbledore's backstory
, I mean they did spend some time mentioning Dumbledore's "dark secrets" in Part 1, so I'm sure they'll elaborate more in Part 2.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Solo said:
You are crazy. He looks like a PS2 cutscene in CoS, whereas in DH he was much more believable.

They worked on the skin texture but that's about it. Next to Kreacher the design looked dreadful and it just didn't mesh with the post-PoA world IMO. Some of his lines towards the end were awful as well.

Briaeron

Neo Member
NJ Shlice said:
Okay, thanks.

The Dumbledore's back-story cuts were the most unfortunate imo, though they are mostly exposition and so I completely agree with them from a film-making standpoint. Though it might confuse the hell out of the non-book audience I'd like to see as the intro to Part 2
Dumbledore's summer with Grindelwald
kinda in the vein of Gollum's story show at the beginning of RotK, maybe ending with
Dumbledore's bit about the 'greater good'.
Otherwise I feel like a lot of the Hallows importance is lost, or at least everyone stays focused on the Deathstick rather than the whole picture. Leaving out the backstory makes sense especially if they are (probably) cutting the
King's Cross scene.

However, this is mainly from a book fan's pov and probably doesn't make a lot of sense from a film making standpoint.

Daft_Cat

DarkWish said:
I think
Aberforth will definitely get more into Dumbledore's backstory
, I mean they did spend some time mentioning Dumbledore's "dark secrets" in Part 1, so I'm sure they'll elaborate more in Part 2.

They cast those roles, and based on only fleeting glimpses of them in Part 1, I think well see more of the backstory in Part 2.

My guess is that DH Part 2 will start out with the scene between Dumbledore, Aberforth, Grindelwald, and Kendra. Kind of like the opening of Return of the King, which expanded on Gollums back story.

Edit..Poster before me shares the same views...that was a strange coincidence.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I forgot how good the last few chapters of DH were. Part 2 will either be incredible or a trainwreck.

edit: wait, they're cutting King's Cross? According to who?

Rez said:
I forgot how good the last few chapters of DH were. Part 2 will either be incredible or a trainwreck.

edit: wait, they're cutting King's Cross? According to who?

Maybe the CG they did to age them didnt turn out as well as they hoped?

Ashhong

Gamer @ Heart said:
Maybe the CG they did to age them didnt turn out as well as they hoped?

I think the Kings Cross people are referring to is the
naked Harry talking to Dumbledore
scene.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I thought they were re filming King's Cross. Making their own set and everything.

I didn't think the makeup aging looked bad at all. They all looked like the people who have been playing their fathers. It's how it's supposed to be.

I would imagine it was just to hectic trying to film it at Kings Cross. They can't exactly shut it down to film, can they?

Far as the back story goes...

There are photos out there of the guys playing Dumbledore and Grinderwalld in costume for filming. It's going to be in there at some point.

Whoever mentioned doing it like RotK and having it at the start of part 2. I think that's a great idea.

NJ Shlice said:

I'm up to the part where

The cup was introduced as a very possible Horcrux in HBP, considering Riddle murdered someone just to get the cup.

In DH, Bellatrix panicked at the idea of someone having broken into Gringotts. It's why the trio set off to break into Gringotts after that.

Briaeron

Neo Member
Ashhong said:
scene.

Yeah this is the cut I was predicting, though I don't have any actual proof.

Also Secret can't believe we posted that at same time!

Ashhong

Just brushed up on part 2 via wiki, and man they better not fuck up
Snape's backstory
. That is my absolute favorite part of the entire series (I think) and such an important part. I want every single moment in the movie.

Cyan

Banned
Ashhong said:
scene.
Yeah, that will definitely be in there. No way they cut it.

As for the epilogue... meh. They can cut it for all I care.

Mashing

icarus-daedelus said:
I think I liked it except for the fact that it feels like half a movie.

I don't like this argument. A lot of people made that argument about FOTR (not me, I thought they were crazy). Now FOTR is considered the best in the trilogy. You should probably reserve judgment until the 2nd part to see how the events int eh first part payout in the second. Plus you know it was literally half a movie going into it.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Mashing said:
I don't like this argument. A lot of people made that argument about FOTR (not me, I thought they were crazy). Now FOTR is considered the best in the trilogy. You should probably reserve judgment until the 2nd part to see how the events int eh first part payout in the second. Plus you know it was literally half a movie going into it.

i would just argue that there's a distinction between "feeling like half a movie" and "being half a movie."

a movie can "be" half a movie and still feel complete. but if it feels so, then, that's a problem.

Ashhong

Theres a difference between this and FOTR though, which is that FOTR is structured to be a complete story in one movie/film. I can understand why the audience might feel like there wasn't any payoff in this movie. It ends on a total cliffhanger, making it feel more like a season finale of a TV show than a movie. Of course this is unavoidable since it is a movie split in 2.

Tesseract

Banned
got a few minutes before work, here's what i think: first 5 minutes aside, i really kinda hated it all the way through to the pointless end. i asked myself throughout, 'why am i watching this', which i've not done since i can't remember when.

seemingly contrived moments stirred throughout, what with convenient teleports and endless bags of whatever we need until revelation come.

deathly hallows is a fatuous ruse of tricks and tropes for lucre's sake, not worth one penny.

big ander

Tesseract said:
got a few minutes before work, here's what i think: first 5 minutes aside, i really kinda hated it all the way through to the pointless end. i asked myself throughout, 'why am i watching this', which i've not done since i can't remember when.

seemingly contrived moments stirred throughout, what with convenient teleports and endless bags of whatever we need until revelation come.

deathly hallows is a fatuous ruse of tricks and tropes for lucre's sake, not worth one penny.
uhhh they're sort of wizards, they can apparate, or teleport, when they're good enough. Same with endless bags. That's the point.

Have you seen the previous films? Because this one actually had some decent character drama with the leads.

RaidenZR

Ashhong said:
Just brushed up on part 2 via wiki, and man they better not fuck up
Snape's backstory
. That is my absolute favorite part of the entire series (I think) and such an important part. I want every single moment in the movie.

I feel they truly neglected Snapes best moments from the books in all the movies, especially the last couple. There was so much going on with him AND Harry together, and Harry learned a lot about him that I feel like they've already done a disservice to those moments for that character.

Knowing what actually happens in the end, it makes it even more tragic as a result now. Why make Snape so prominently, and teasingly villainous in the beginning movies to just slack off when he starts becoming more deep and interesting later on in the books. The movies fucked that up... so far anyways. Very little time left to redeem that.

Tesseract

Banned
big ander said:
uhhh they're sort of wizards, they can apparate, or teleport, when they're good enough. Same with endless bags. That's the point.

Have you seen the previous films? Because this one actually had some decent character drama with the leads.

one man's trash ...

i said my peace re: hallows' tricks and tropes, so you may keep your point. this one's character drama is an equivocal speck to be fair, but to me just a bit of blarney. some would call it fauxtel, like the new(est) sherlock holmes movie. you watch and begin to hopefully procure or perhaps infer the greater point, then end as one unfulfilled dumbo whose deductive powers are torn asunder. neither engaged nor disengaged is your experience, but you're daft about it all the same. hallows (pt. 1) is of course far worse, being soapy melodrama and such with contrivances abound here and there, everywhere.

half-blood prince is my favorite harry potter.

Korey

Tesseract said:
one man's trash ...

i said my peace re: hallows' tricks and tropes, so you may keep your point. this one's character drama is an equivocal speck to be fair, but to me just a bit of blarney. some would call it fauxtel, like the new(est) sherlock holmes movie. you watch and begin to hopefully procure or perhaps infer the greater point, then end as one unfulfilled dumbo whose deductive powers are torn asunder. neither engaged nor disengaged is your experience, but you're daft about it all the same. hallows (pt. 1) is of course far worse, being soapy melodrama and such with contrivances abound here and there, everywhere.

half-blood prince is my favorite harry potter.
The book generally wasn't very good either. Lots of people had problems with how angsty/camp-y it was.

What really stood out to the people I watched it with was how cliche the locket drama was with corrupting the wearer, etc. It basically was exactly like the LotR ring. And the kids were aware of the locket's negative energy, yet they still chose to wear it around their necks. Why not put it in that magical endless bag of yours, hmm? Or maybe, your pocket instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom