• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 |OT| Nov. 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

mm04

1stStrike said:
Hmmm... my decision hasn't gotten any easier =\ I think I'll start off with Fry and see how I like it.

I prefer Dale. I like the voices he gives each character and his reading pace is a little faster. His rendition of Snape is all kinds of awesome.

1stStrike

Banned
mm04 said:
I prefer Dale. I like the voices he gives each character and his reading pace is a little faster. His rendition of Snape is all kinds of awesome.

Thank you for making the decision more difficult for me :lol

Enjoyed the movie, but I really just can't fucking stand Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix. Something about the way she takes center stage in the movies so much just irks me. Not that she isn't a strong character in the books, but I dunno. Nails on a chalkboard to me.

defel

Fry doesn't "play" the characters as much as Dale which I personally prefer since it impinges less on the way I imagine the characters but I dont think you can go wrong with either of them.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Freyjadour said:
Enjoyed the movie, but I really just can't fucking stand Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix. Something about the way she takes center stage in the movies so much just irks me. Not that she isn't a strong character in the books, but I dunno. Nails on a chalkboard to me.

h.b.c. definitely hams it up. i find it off-putting as well.

3rdman

Saw it last night and LOVED it. For what it's worth I saw it with my wife whose second language is English and she too enjoyed it.

The camping part was a little long but I can't fault it for sticking so closely to the source material. As a Potter fan, I wouldn't have changed it but as a film maker, I might have. Still, with just half a film to go (and nothing else beyond the finale), I'm grateful for this treatment of the final book because we won't have to say goodbye too soon.

I'll try to see it again over the weekend....can't wait for the finale!

Saw this film on opening night with my friends and absolutely loved every minute of it. In addition to sticking rather closely to the source material, I definitely enjoyed the additional scenes added.

Can't wait for the second half of the movie next year, especially since the movie ended in just the right spot.

May see it again today, since work lets out early, but this is definitely to re-watch again.

Also seeing this movie got me to buy 'O Children' by Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds off iTunes once I got home from the movie, as that scene was one of the most touching scenes from the movie.

Freyjadour said:
I actually have a crush on her.

mm04

defel1111 said:
Fry doesn't "play" the characters as much as Dale which I personally prefer since it impinges less on the way I imagine the characters but I dont think you can go wrong with either of them.

That's a fair point of view. I didn't read/listen to the books before seeing all of the movies (I listened to all of the audio books including Deathly Hallows after I'd seen all 6 previous movies), so I already had visions in my mind of what most people and places looked like.

ChoklitReign said:
I actually have a crush on her.
Yup, she'd get it. Harddd.

And I think she's really good as the character. It's been so long since I read the books that I can't remember what the character was actually like, but hey, she ups my enjoyment of the films so it's fine by me.

Empty

saw it tonight. really good, my favourite of them all i think. the slow pace allowed for a welcome focus on the characters, leaving hogwarts was a great change of pace and i loved the kinda moody direction and the occasional injections of light humor. the animated bit was a really cool way of dealing with saggy exposition too, very nicely done. didn't like radcliffe's acting, heavy handed death-eaters are fascists parallels and some of the action scenes, especially the first when it went all matrix reloaded. was sceptical about them splitting it into two, but so glad they did so we got that film.

jambo

Expendable. said:
Harry Potter Has Turned Into A Delusional Broom-wielding Maniac

crazy_potter.png

:lol
:lol :lol :lol

He did that so well

"broom burn"

Probably seeing this for the second time tonight. Hopefully I can actually see the screen this go 'round. If I loved it sitting 2 rows from the front, I can't imagine what I might think of it sitting I dunno 8 or 9 rows back.

I saw this in the UK where it was rated a 12, quite to my surprise. It was really very dark in places and quite graphic in others. It seemed like a 15 movie to me.

Anyway, thought the movie was great, though it was definitely quite cheesy in places, and there was too much filler where nothing much seemed to happen, the camping bit in particular semed to go on forever.

You camping haters should count your blessings because compared to the book they went by very, very quickly in the film and by comparison I felt that there was always something going on.

harSon

Banned
I really liked the way they handled the wand battles within this film, ie. basically making them into guns. The
'Hitmen' scene within the diner
in particular was pretty awesome despite being so short.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Could the camping have been trimmed in the movie? Sure. But that was the point of the camping sequence, them all getting pushed to the brink.

harSon said:
I really liked the way they handled the wand battles within this film, ie. basically making them into guns. The
'Hitmen' scene within the diner
in particular was pretty awesome despite being so short.

Definitely. The way the wandwork is being handled has been really good compared to earlier installments, which gives me great hope for Part 2.

DrForester said:
Could the camping have been trimmed in the movie? Sure. But that was the point of the camping sequence, them all getting pushed to the brink.

Well, for me at least, like I said I always felt that something was going on. People are acting like they just sat around not doing anything, but like you said it was meant to sort of downgrade their psychology a bit and test their friendship.

I still think that they largely skimped over the camping stuff compared to the book. I thought it was just right, not too much but not too little.

mm04

brandonh83 said:
Definitely. The way the wandwork is being handled has been really good compared to earlier installments, which gives me great hope for Part 2.

Well, for me at least, like I said I always felt that something was going on. People are acting like they just sat around not doing anything, but like you said it was meant to sort of downgrade their psychology a bit and test their friendship.

I still think that they largely skimped over the camping stuff compared to the book. I thought it was just right, not too much but not too little.

I definitely liked the spell fighting as well. Much faster and action packed than in previous installments.

I disagree with those that think this film contained filler to make it longer. If you've read the books, you have no idea how long this movie would've been if it was a truly faithful part 1. I think that's why most people who've read the books are pleased. I don't feel it was artificially lengthened at all, knowing the source material. I was really worried how they'd handle the camping section and the ministry and I thought they did an outstanding job of conveying what happened in the book in a limited amount of time.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
ElectricBlue187 said:
What's the deal with Harry and that glowy deer from PoA? I remember him saying it had something to do with his dad or uncle but I can't remember

His dad had the ability to turn into a Stag. The spell is the Patronus Charm, used to keep demontors away. The shape it take is an animal the user has a liking of (or a personal connection).

Scarecrow

Question from someone who hasn't read any of the books: why was Malfoils dad all disheveled? I thought they were rich.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Scarecrow said:
Question from someone who hasn't read any of the books: why was Malfoils dad all disheveled? I thought they were rich.

If you've seen the 5th movie (or read the news clippings at the start of the 6th). Malfoy was arrested after the attack on the Ministry. He was eventually freed by Voldemort when Voldemort broke everyone out of Azkaban. Malfoy was not in his good graces though, since he led the attack on the Ministry in book 5 and failed to get the Prophecy that Voldemort wanted. He was pretty much at the bottom run of Death Eaters upon his return.

DrForester said:
His dad had the ability to turn into a Stag. The spell is the Patronus Charm, used to keep demontors away. The shape it take is an animal the user has a liking of (or a personal connection).
So it was his dad's spirit helping him at the ice lake?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
ElectricBlue187 said:

No, it's just that the Stag has an importance to Harry hence why his patronus assumes that form.

The spell is all about the Wizard who uses it thinking happy thoughts. Sometimes it assumes an animal with a significance to the user, like Harry. Sometimes it's just an animal the user likes (Ron and Hermione's patronus' are a Jack Russel Terrier and a Otter).

Edit: I thought you meant the lake in the 3rd film.

The Ice Lake in DHPart 1. The Doe will be explained in film 2.

ElectricBlue187 said:
What's the deal with Harry and that glowy deer from PoA? I remember him saying it had something to do with his dad or uncle but I can't remember
If you're talking about the doe by the lake, it should be explained in the next movie.

Jb

brandonh83 said:
It was actually explained in that movie. Right after it happened :lol
Was it? I just recall Ron saying "that wasn't me, dude". I don't think they said it was
Alberforth

sphagnum

Banned
ElectricBlue187 said:

Big big spoilers for part 2

Snape sent it. His Patronus has the same form as Harry's mother's since Snape was in love with her. Snape's a good guy the whole time and Dumbledore wanted him to help Harry find the sword.

Nevermind. I read "Doe by the lake" as the scene in Prisoner of Azkaban because he said "from POA" so was just thinking POA. But yeah it's explained in Part 2.

sphagnum said:
Big big spoilers for part 2

Snape sent it. His Patronus has the same form as Harry's mother's since Snape was in love with her. Snape's a good guy the whole time and Dumbledore wanted him to help Harry find the sword.

I wouldn't say he was good "the whole time". He made some bad choices until gray beard helped show him that redemption was possible through your actions. As I believe scar head said to Riddle in the book, he was good from the moment he threatend his mother.

Wait, now everyone is confusing me. Future Harry performed the patronus spell and it was in the form of a doe. Sooooooo, that's basically it, right? Other than Harry thinking it was his father, which it wasn't.

sphagnum

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Wait, now everyone is confusing me. Future Harry performed the patronus spell and it was in the form of a doe. Sooooooo, that's basically it, right? Other than Harry thinking it was his father, which it wasn't.

In movie 3, yeah. But then ElectricBlue asked what the deal was with the Patronus in Deathly Hallows, hence the spoiler.

Cyan

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
It was a stag. You know, horns.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Jason's Ultimatum said:

It was the form of a Stag, not a doe. (talking about Prisoner of Azkaban)

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Harry's patronus is a stag, not a doe.

edit: beaten like Malfoy's house elves

JayB said:
Was it? I just recall Ron saying "that wasn't me, dude". I don't think they said it was
Alberforth
I thought it was
Snape?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Aaron Strife said:
I thought it was
Snape?

It was, but that's not known in the movies yet.

In the books, they don't learn about who cast the Doe patronus until
Harry looks through Snapes memories.

1stStrike

Banned
I tried the audio book + reading along thing, but it didn't really work out for me. I decided to just read the books without it :|

fireside

brandonh83 said:
You camping haters should count your blessings because compared to the book they went by very, very quickly in the film and by comparison I felt that there was always something going on.
I read Deathly Hallows again a couple days ago and the camping scenes in the book aren’t really that bad. They go by pretty quick. Probably doesn’t hurt that I’m a pretty fast reader.

As a side note, where the hell was Harry’s invisibility cloak in the movie?

I loved this movie! Definitely one of if not THE best Potter film. They added everything I would've wanted them to. Great stuff.

My rankings, as of now:

1) Prisoner of Azkaban
2) Deathly Hallows Part 1
3) Half Blood Prince
4) Order of the Phoenix
5) Goblet of Fire
6) Sorcerer's Stone
7) Chamber of Secrets

DeathbyVolcano said:
I loved this movie! Definitely one of if not THE best Potter film. They added everything I would've wanted them to. Great stuff.

My rankings, as of now:

1) Prisoner of Azkaban
2) Deathly Hallows Part 1
3) Half Blood Prince
4) Order of the Phoenix
5) Goblet of Fire
6) Sorcerer's Stone
7) Chamber of Secrets

Hey, that's pretty much my exact order. Congratulations on your excellent tastes. :D

I'll admit I don't get the Azkaban wank-fest. Yeah, I love it, I just don't really understand myself how some consider it to be so good that it's light-years ahead of the others. Not that I'm trying to interfere with everyone's opinions, nor does it have anything to do with Deathly Hallows-- I've been confused by this since about the time Order of the Phoenix came out, which I personally liked more than Azkaban.

I think when it comes down to it, Azkaban was never going to be my favorite because of the plot. I like the plot considerably but I dig the Harry vs. Voldemort focus a lot more, which is just one reason I prefer Order of the Phoenix (that, and Phoenix has the possession scene which I consider to be the best sequence in all seven films so far).

So, yeah. I don't get why Azkaban is on such a pedestal for some. Again, I love it too, but I can't seem to pinpoint what makes it so much better than the others. All I can seem to get is "because Cuaron is amazing" and stuff about the cinematography, but with all due respect it's not the only Potter film with great cinematography, especially as of November of this year.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Deathly Hallows 1
Half Blood Prince
Sorcerers Stone
Order of the Phoenix
Prisoner of Azkaban
Chamber of Secrets
Reserved to Place Deathly Hallows 2
Goblet of Fire

Far as placement of Azkaban. I did not find the story to be one of the better ones from the series. Also I disliked many of the visual changes made to things. Made it feel less like a fantasy film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom