• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeworld Remastered Collection pre-order up on Steam. Feb 25 release, $30 (15% off)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mantidor

I had Total Biscuit's video playing while I was wrapping up the OT and everything sounds good after hearing his thoughts. Also good to hear Campbell Lane's voice so that gets a sigh of relief from me.

That's good to hear! what threw me off base was the specific line "If you will not join, then die, there's no withdrawal from the garden", it's considerably different in both versions.

The hell is this?

Also, changing ship color is not new to Homeworld.

I'm actually ok to not play as a taiidan, it just felt wrong.

Mindlog

Happy to hear that the early numbers are pleasing :D
So how complex and difficult is this game? It looks really good but I don't think I have the patience to jump into something if I'm going to have to play hours upon hours in order to start being effective.

EDIT: Also, if I do get the game, which is considered the better game, 1 or 2?
The single player campaign really eases you into the game. This may change because of the difficulty upgrade. Some missions can be very difficult as you adjust to new mechanics. Thankfully with full access to mods the difficulty will be quickly balanced in whichever direction you please. As a fallback the classic modes are always available.

I enjoyed the second more than most, but the first is outstanding and the story makes more sense. Definitely start with the first. You get both in the same package so, "WIN, WIN!"

ACE 1991

Happy to hear that the early numbers are pleasing :D

The single player campaign really eases you into the game. This may change because of the difficulty upgrade. Some missions can be very difficult as you adjust to new mechanics. Thankfully with full access to mods the difficulty will be quickly balanced in whichever direction you please. As a fallback the classic modes are always available.

I enjoyed the second more than most, but the first is outstanding and the story makes more sense. Definitely start with the first. You get both in the same package so, "WIN, WIN!"

Thanks!

Boogdud

I wonder (I guess I'll find out soon since I pre-bought it) how many people the multi will support. I'd like to get some big comp stomps going with friends. Sometimes we have 6 of us that want to play at the same time and nobody wants to play against each other (cowards).

Portman

Awesome, thanks for the info! I had put a note in the OT about seeing it mentioned but I couldn't recall where. I will have to get that part updated with a link to your thread.

Now if I can just figure out where I had seen it mentioned that a remastered soundtrack was going to be released I can stop driving myself crazy.

GeoGonzo

Any big publisher is going to have two thoughts after reading that tweet:
1) Heh, that's dumb. They could have done better doing it our way.
2) Maybe not bidding on that IP was a mistake.

In any case, I'm happy about the positive first impressions and the high number of preorders... I don't often preorder myself but labours of love like this project need to be backed and encouraged. And it being motherfucking Homeworld helps, yes.

I couldn't stand it anymore and bought this on Sunday. I have all three Homeworld releases (the original and Cataclysm in big ol' PC boxes, Homeworld 2 was released in the small DVD-type cases here and the worst crime of all, it was fully dubbed in spanish, bleurgh, if you thought the voices weren't as good in english, the spanish ones make you cry) so I just couldn't NOT buy this.

Ready to take the plunge again but it pains me a lot that after nearly 16 years of the original 1999 release, nothing ever came close to Homeworld. We had the great divide after 2003 where devs jumped off the PC ship, the RTS went to hell and became niche as the MOBA monster ate it away...

So it's comforting to see the game breaking pre-order records and dethroning GTA V in the top sellers. And to know Shipbreakers is coming. As someone said in another thread, this could well be the renaissance.

And I still need to check Grey Goo as well (apparently, a spiritual successor to the line of RTS created by Westwood) so all we need is a new DoW with more strategic elements and it'll be heavenly.

The remaster looks fantastic and I can't way to try the multiplayer, hopefully it own't be too laggy.

Maulik

I just want my Star Wars/ complex mod in the remastered engine. We could have insanely large comp stops with asymmetrical factions.

DBT85

I just want my Star Wars/ complex mod in the remastered engine. We could have insanely large comp stops with asymmetrical factions.

Oh, they'll be coming. And a BSG mod.

BSG mod just needs the ability to link up with the the OST too, that could be incredible.

sfried

I honestly don't care about the song being missing I have to be honest.

Honestly I think its of some importance, since the song was specifically written for the game. Heck, even in the live Yes concerts they always feature footage of Homeworld in the background.

It's the same as not having Adagio For Strings in the intro section: The experience is vastly altered.

DBT85

Honestly I think its of some importance, since the song was specifically written for the game. Heck, even in the live Yes concerts they always feature footage of Homeworld in the background.

It's the same as not having Adagio For Strings in the intro section: The experience is vastly altered.

I would say Adiago For Strings is of far more importance since its played a lot in the early game and then again at the end and its dramatization fits in with everything perfectly. Going out there into the void, the lonliness, the desperation etc.

While The Ladder was only on the credits. So a bunch of folk would never have heard it because they never got to the credits, or never listened to all of it. Personally I don't even think it fits that well considering all the other music used.

AxeMan

I bought Homeworld when it first came out. I couldn't get past the first or second mission and it's bugged me ever since.

I think I'm going to have to dive in again

sfried

While The Ladder was only on the credits. So a bunch of folk would never have heard it because they never got to the credits, or never listened to all of it. Personally I don't even think it fits that well considering all the other music used.

I disgress. Considering the lyrics and the song itself were made for the game, it's pretty much a big "treat" at the end to have your journey summarized with the song.

Also, it's the only way that "You Are Here" scene feels appropriate: You made it. No other song made you feel triumphant yet sentimental at the same time. Even some instrumental piece won't do it justice.

mantidor

I disgress. Considering the lyrics and the song itself were made for the game, it's pretty much a big "treat" at the end to have your journey summarized with the song.

Also, it's the only way that "You Are Here" scene feels appropriate: You made it. No other song made you feel triumphant yet sentimental at the same time. Even some instrumental piece won't do it justice.

As someone who is not really a fan of the song, I agree. It's insane a song made specifically for the game is in copyright limbo, that pisses me off more than the actual absence of it.

Maulik

So with steamworkshop integrated, how easy will the mod process be you think?

I remember having to do a whole bunch of config file edits and copy and pasting back in the day to mod HW 1 & 2.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Just preordered the collection on Steam after reading an extremely positive review for it from the only game site I trust. Hope it doesn't let me down. I like strategy games, I like space... What could possibly go wrong? Is the Homeworld story really this good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom