• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeworld Remastered Collection pre-order up on Steam. Feb 25 release, $30 (15% off)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portman

Speaking of the multiplayer community I wanted to bounce an idea off of everyone here and see which works best.

I am planning on making a multiplayer section in the OT (work in progress since it's a beta release) and I was wondering if there is interest in tracking players and what is the best way. I've seen in some threads where someone hosts a spreadsheet in Google Docs for example and puts in players information. Since this is a Steam game I had the idea of creating a Steam group for the NeoGAF community and thought that would work a little better for cordination. Does it seem like that would be a good idea if there are enough interested people here?

Human_me

Bad News guys.

YES song will not be in the game.

This is apparently due to legal issues that affect both Remastered and the Classic editions.

Gearbox however are "exploring their options"

Source

Speaking of the multiplayer community I wanted to bounce an idea off of everyone here and see which works best.

I am planning on making a multiplayer section in the OT (work in progress since it's a beta release) and I was wondering if there is interest in tracking players and what is the best way. I've seen in some threads where someone hosts a spreadsheet in Google Docs for example and puts in players information. Since this is a Steam game I had the idea of creating a Steam group for the NeoGAF community and thought that would work a little better for cordination. Does it seem like that would be a good idea if there are enough interested people here?

Steam community group would be best I think.
It works well for the Sins of a Solar Empire community (though over the years its died quite a bit).

DBT85

I honestly don't care about the song being missing I have to be honest.

Another day, another trailer. Damn, Gearbox is really pushing this!

Homeworld 2 Remastered Story Trailer (Homeworld Remastered Collection)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH8ETGPXBO4

Just watched this. It's amazing that 16 and 12 years on you can still see how far the guys knocked all of the audio out of the park. Amazing VO work (especially Campbell Lane and Heidi Ernest), great effects, great music beautifully mixed. Can't wait to hear it all again nice and clean and Heidi Ernest reprising for HW2!

Also liking what they've done with the cutscenes that I've seen so far.

Just watched this. It's amazing that 16 and 12 years on you can still see how far the guys knocked all of the audio out of the park. Amazing VO work (especially Campbell Lane and Heidi Ernest), great effects, great music beautifully mixed. Can't wait to hear it all again nice and clean and Heidi Ernest reprising for HW2!

Fucking beautiful. I love Paul Ruskay's work.

Portman

Bad News guys.

YES song will not be in the game.

This is apparently due to legal issues that affect both Remastered and the Classic editions.

Gearbox however are "exploring their options"

Source

Steam community group would be best I think.
It works well for the Sins of a Solar Empire community (though over the years its died quite a bit).

That sucks about Yes not being used in the game but I was expecting that to happen since the licensing was so old. Hopefully they can work it out but in the event they don't I wonder what will be used in the credits? I will try to remember to mention the original credits music in the OT.

On the Steam group idea I will get it setup and ready to have by the release of the game.

Portman

So whats the best deal to buy the collection right now?

The Collector's Edition has been sold out for a while so the only other way that I've seen is to buy it on Steam. It is 15% off for another 39 hours and then it will go to regular price.

Cronox

Banned
For some reason I thought I already owned this on gog.com, turns out I was thinking of Freespace. Once this is out I hope someone will put together a comparison between this remaster and a modded original version...

For that matter, I'm guessing that these versions of the game will not support mods, right?

The LED lights seems so unnecessary to me. I'm going to keep mine unpowered.

Also, nice.
wtbVoZd.png

They had a poll last year between a much larger die cast mothership or a painted lighted one. Lights and paint won!

c0Zm1c

Reminds me of the launch trailer for Dragon Age: Inquisition. That also had a poor choice in music, and after other trailers before it that were great. Why do they do that?

Portman

That launch trailer is so bad after all of the other ones they have made. It's almost like they had to make a "modern" trailer just for the sake of it. After all the text I'm sitting here envisioning the remastered edition having a sequence of click LMB quickly to integrate Karen into the Mothership.

I got the Steam group created last night, I will try to get it worked on a bit more after I get the OT finished up today. Hopefully the name doesn't sound dumb.

Hey guys, we're launching a game with one of the most legendary soundtracks in gaming history, I know let's set the trailer to whatever the fuck that was.

Gross.
Doesn't bother me. The launch trailer isn't for people who know how good the soundtrack is, it's to catch the eyes and ears of the younger folk who haven't played it. Basic marketing.

tuxfool

Banned
I think that was pretty bad. The music doesn't fit the game or what's going on in the trailer, and all the large text popping up along with the time skipping parts made it feel more like what a poorly made fan-created trailer for something like CoD would be. It just doesn't match Homeworld at all.

Hey guys, we're launching a game with one of the most legendary soundtracks in gaming history, I know let's set the trailer to whatever the fuck that was.

Gross.

Aye. As much as one can commend Gearbox for their remastering efforts, there is no way they would have a clean sheet. Did the marketing department even play the game?

Doesn't bother me. The launch trailer isn't for people who know how good the soundtrack is, it's to catch the eyes and ears of the younger folk who haven't played it. Basic marketing.

Basic marketing is to completely misrepresent the style of the game?

Boogdud

Another launch trailer set to "Sail".

I really like Awolnation but man, that's a bad choice for Homeworld.

...it should have been final countdown by Europe

/s

edit: honestly if they wanted to appeal to a 'younger' audience, I would have went with something like The M Machine: Faces

vazel

Banned
Apparently total biscuit said on Twitter that this was one of the best remasters ever. Video to come.
This and Majora's Mask in the same month and being two of the best remakes ever. The bar has been raised for how to treat classics.

I think from now on though, a distinction needs to be made between a remaster and a full-blown remake.

Gross.

Just put some damn Adagio for strings in there damn it!

Also do I buy this yay or nay? Never finished either of the homeworld games, think I got halfway through in them. Always loved the presentation and narrative though, great mechanical designs too.

mantidor

I wanted to mention, is it just me or that is not Campbell Lane? They re-recorded all the audio, I could tell because I know the cutscenes by heart, the speeches are all new, very close to the original, but new. And for obvious, and sad reasons they couldn't call him again :(.

v0mitg0d

Playing through this now and with video settings maxed out this game is goddamn gorgeous!

Seriously, this is a fantastic remaster. I'm a huge fans of the originals and revisting has been such a joy. Dat musical score. :O

Portman

Just put some damn Adagio for strings in there damn it!

Also do I buy this yay or nay? Never finished either of the homeworld games, think I got halfway through in them. Always loved the presentation and narrative though, great mechanical designs too.

If you enjoyed what you played of the games I would say to get the remasters based on what we've seen. Even if something ends up being "wrong" with them the classics are included and it might be worth it if they are easier to play compared to tinkering with the disc copies.

I wanted to mention, is it just me or that is not Campbell Lane? They re-recorded all the audio, I could tell because I know the cutscenes by heart, the speeches are all new, very close to the original, but new. And for obvious, and sad reasons they couldn't call him again :(.

I thought I heard a part where it sounded different but the only thing I can recall is where Fleet Intelligence is giving an overview of the game. When I heard that it sounded like the lines were new and/or the voice was re-recorded. I hope they didn't change any of Campbell Lane's lines even if they had to leave the lower quality original ones intact. His voice is synonymous with Homeworld to me.

Savitar

There has to be somewhere here with an amazing OT in the works, has to be.

Also my CE is preparing to ship.

I feel absolutely giddy.

Portman

I had Total Biscuit's video playing while I was wrapping up the OT and everything sounds good after hearing his thoughts. Also good to hear Campbell Lane's voice so that gets a sigh of relief from me.

I should have the OT done and up in a bit. Need to make a few more editing passes on it and get the screenshots added. Sorry for the delay, first time making one of these so I'm learning a bit as I go.

Grief.exe

This and Majora's Mask in the same month and being two of the best remakes ever. The bar has been raised for how to treat classics.

I think from now on though, a distinction needs to be made between a remaster and a full-blown remake.

Gearbox did admit that they spent far too much money on this release.

I'm in classic game heaven right now. Resident Evil, Grim Fandango, Metroid Prime trilogy, Majora's Mask, and Homeworld all in the span of about a month. These are all considered to be some of The best games of all time, I hope the modern gamer is getting a glimpse into what made these titles so great.

Any published impressions from anyone but TotalBisquick? Not giving him traffic.

Guy isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but I think he has a generally good opinion about things.

Elandyll

Banned
Amazon just informed me that my Collector edition has shipped and will be here today by 8pm.

Come to PAPA !!!! #hellyeah!

Savitar

I look forward to the OT Portman, do your best!

That's a good sign! They said they might break even on this and if lucky make some cash. Gearbox and Randy boy isn't in my good graces exactly but if they did this game justice and it helps lead to more things in the future that will help redeem them some.

So far from what I've seen, heard and read everything about Homeworld Remastered has been done right including those originally created it, the modders that helped keep it alive and everything.

ACE 1991

So how complex and difficult is this game? It looks really good but I don't think I have the patience to jump into something if I'm going to have to play hours upon hours in order to start being effective.

EDIT: Also, if I do get the game, which is considered the better game, 1 or 2?

Speculator

BioWare Austin
Hyped, eager to journey through this space opera yet again. I did wish their marketing videos captured the essence of Homeworld better though, their ViDocs did a considerably better job than the story and launch trailer.

poros1ty

So how complex and difficult is this game? It looks really good but I don't think I have the patience to jump into something if I'm going to have to play hours upon hours in order to start being effective.

It's not bad at all because the single player gives you a great introduction to the game with tutorial help as well.

Just play as much of the SP before you jump into any multiplayer.

Top seller on steam currently which is pretty impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom