• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeworld Remastered Collection pre-order up on Steam. Feb 25 release, $30 (15% off)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Human_me

Do they really need the source code for Cataclysm? I wouldn't mind if they ripped the audio/music and other stuff from the released game and made a remaster/remake from that. I would gladly pay $49 for it

Apparently Studio X Labs still has all the high quality audio for Cataclysm.

So they would be able to use that if they ever did a remaster.
Its just the actual source code of the game I believe.

I think it will happen but it will take time.
It will also be DLC I bet.

epmode

It's unfortunate they lost the source code and can't do a remaster. However, since mod tools will be included in this remastered collection, I hope the community creates a Cataclysm mod.

Even without the source, they should at least put out the original version. It still plays fine on modern machines, same as Homeworld 1.

I assume they're also concerned about who owns the rights.

Even without the source, they should at least put out the original version. It still plays fine on modern machines, same as Homeworld 1.

I assume they're also concerned about who owns the rights.

The rights might be part of it for sure.

However, part of re-releasing even the original versions would be to make sure it works on modern operating systems. Cataclysm does not support widescreen resolutions, and you need to use the software renderer or else you get graphical glitches. They would still need source code access to make these changes. I believe that's what they're doing with Homeworld 1/2 classic versions.

Apparently Relic didn't consider Cataclysm canon anyway, so maybe that's another part of it (even though it was a great game).

Aaron D.

Freaking finally!

The only thing you new guys miss out on are the amazing manuals.

PROTIP #1: Amazon has plenty of used copies of the original 120 page game manual for under $1 each (with $4 shipping). There's a TON of universe lore in there. It's a thing of beauty.

PROTIP #2: When you're Spring Cleaning with your wife/husband and they say you won't miss it at all (i.e. old, saved game manuals), what they're really saying that they won't miss it at all!

Popstar

Rockstar would own the Cataclysm code with their purchase of Barking Dog (which became Rockstar Vancouver).

With Rockstar Vancouver shut down who knows where the code might be.

Depending on how easy it is to mod the new engine, I wouldn't be surprised to see some enterprising individuals re-create the Cataclysm campaign. I hope it doesn't have to come to that, though.

Lime

Will the remastered soundtracks be available as well?

they should get cataclysms soundtrack remade as well

Portman

Will the remastered soundtracks be available as well?

they should get cataclysms soundtrack remade as well

When they asked for suggestions on the release last year I mentioned the soundtracks since they never got official releases. Hopefully they will release them at some point even if they're separate from the games.

Lime

Otherwise we can count on fans ripping the audio files of the games. The complete OSTs of the original games have been really great.

DocSeuss

I need this. I need this in my body.

Any idea whether the first game will use the second game's controls or not? I'm not really into Homeworld's controls, but I LOVE Homeworld 2's.

5taquitos

I can't wait for this, but I feel like it's a little scummy that they're using the original game's Metacritic rating on the store page.

5taquitos

It comes with the classic versions, and that's the meta for those. Don't see why that's a problem??

Well if it has glaring performance issues or game-breaking bugs or even gameplay changes, the old rating may not reflect the new content.

But since it includes the originals I can see how having the original ratings would be OK, just seemed a little weird to me.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Man im really interested to see impressions from noobs to this game that never played it. Wonder how well its held up. Game looks pretty good now. Music has always been incredible. The storytelling was always great. Gameplay is really the only iffy thing.

Lime

Man im really interested to see impressions from noobs to this game that never played it. Wonder how well its held up. Game looks pretty good now. Music has always been incredible. The storytelling was always great. Gameplay is really the only iffy thing.

I think many will be deterred or put off by the difficulty. Refuelling strike crafts, the gruelling Super Nova Station mission, all the
ion frigates
in Bridge of Sighs. I think a lot of people aren't used to that level of difficulty in this day and age.

That being said, the Homeworld games are easily some of the best video games that I have ever played without a doubt and I am glad that others get a chance to re-visit them.

tioslash

Oh, I remember playing these games back in the day. Really enjoyed it! It looks pretty good with the new textures and all.

epmode

This, Resident Evil, and Grim Fandango releases all in the span of about a month.

I'm experiencing all of these games for the first time, and it's so good!

Man, I'd give a lot for that opportunity. I knew Homeworld was special when I played it at release but it's only become more of a landmark over time.

Aaron D.

I think many will be deterred or put off by the difficulty. Refuelling strike crafts, the gruelling Super Nova Station mission, all the
ion frigates
in Bridge of Sighs. I think a lot of people aren't used to that level of difficulty in this day and age.

This is something that I'm worried about for my revisit as well. I've never been the best RTS player and Homeworld has a LOT going on at once. I remember having a tough time with the game back in the day.

Hopefully there will be a forgiving Easy game setting in the remaster that I will personally take on with zero guilt.

Memory

I've had the collectors edition pre-ordered forever so i'm glad its coming out soon. If the ships poor quality its going straight back to amazon, noway i'm paying so much for a piece of trash.

Lime

This is something that I'm worried about for my revisit as well. I've never been the best RTS player and Homeworld has a LOT going on at once. I remember having a tough time with the game back in the day.

Hopefully there will be a forgiving Easy game setting in the remaster that I will personally take on with zero guilt.

The Pause function always does wonders for me whenever things get a little dicey.

I've had the collectors edition pre-ordered forever so i'm glad its coming out soon. If the ships poor quality its going straight back to amazon, noway i'm paying so much for a piece of trash.

Be prepared to return it then. No way will the ship be of quality worth the price of admission. I can't recall a game with a physical statue for a $100 or so price that was worth it.

doomquake

The rights might be part of it for sure.

However, part of re-releasing even the original versions would be to make sure it works on modern operating systems. Cataclysm does not support widescreen resolutions, and you need to use the software renderer or else you get graphical glitches. They would still need source code access to make these changes. I believe that's what they're doing with Homeworld 1/2 classic versions.

Apparently Relic didn't consider Cataclysm canon anyway, so maybe that's another part of it (even though it was a great game).

Fuc. Its the best.

Watch a YouTube Let's Play of the original. Graphically, it holds up well. I mean, the game was set in space so most of the backdrop is going to be black with the occasional colorful gases here and there. Spaceships are usually modelled in simple polygons. The only thing that really stands out are the low res textures and some of the dated looking effects which the HD remaster cleans up well.

As for the gameplay itself, that should be interesting to see. The thing about Homeworld is that it's a pretty unique RTS. It wasn't a product of its time because when it was released, it was the only game of its kind on the market. It spawned two copycats (that I know of) Hegemonia and ORB - both games that you can find on Steam sold for as low as $1 during sales) but the Z-Axis RTS never really took off. The genre itself is a bit of an evolutionary dead end on the RTS family tree. We have nothing to compare it to today because no other games have built on the legacy of Homeworld and we have nothing to compare it too in the past because Homeworld was the first of it's kind.

What I can say about the game however is that I thought the way it approached Z-Axis movement was very well done and the campaign and story was amazing. Multiplayer battles were also really cool since you had to think about flanking positions in a 3D plane and ship formations could make or break you.

The game is difficult like others have pointed out though but I always felt like the difficulty added to the storyline. The story of Homeworld takes a lot of inspiration from Battlestar Galactica and a bit from Star Trek Voyager. A civilization in its last throes of survival should not be able to send wave after wave of ships on an enemy and should have to think of new and resourceful ways to defeat the odds.

Lime

^Good post, Pastorofmuppets. I feel the same way.

I've always loved the "units carry over to the next mission" aspect of Homeworld. It provided a real nice sense of escalation and progress throughout the campaign, while you're constantly making sure that you don't lose that one, incredibly special capital ship you've had for so many missions. Capturing ships added to that sense of cherishing getting more units.

Ground Control did a similar thing, but the only downside was the loss of veterancy and experience, since your lost unit would get replaced immediately with a rookie unit.

~Kinggi~

Banned
The story of Homeworld takes a lot of inspiration from Battlestar Galactica

This is funny cause honestly at least in reference to the new BSG i thought Homeworld was always the secret inspiration for the new series, especially in how they made space look and how the music sounded. Lots of similarities.

Agremont

I wonder if they've tweaked the difficulty in Homeworld 2 or added a difficulty setting. That campaign was so frustratingly hard that I never got further than mission 4.

Memory

Be prepared to return it then. No way will the ship be of quality worth the price of admission. I can't recall a game with a physical statue for a $100 or so price that was worth it.

I hate the fact that your 90% certain to be right but yet I can't bring myself to cancel my pre-order :/ , It looks so good in the photo's too.

Also I'm in the UK so its actually $150 (£100), that's £22 ($33) for the games and £78 ($117) for the collectors box, artwork/lore book and keyring....

DBT85

Finally, pleased to see it got a release data. My CE will look great :D

The first CE I've ever bought.

This is going to look lovely on my 30" dell.

I hate the fact that your 90% certain to be right but yet I can't bring myself to cancel my pre-order :/ , It looks so good in the photo's too.

Also I'm in the UK so its actually $150 (£100), that's £22 ($33) for the games and £78 ($117) for the collectors box, artwork/lore book and keyring....

Hey, if you're thinking of cancelling, I'll take the preorder from you! I'm in Hong Kong. So I don't know how that'll work.

Savitar

Had the CE ordered for awhile now myself. Been craving some more ship madness for awhile now, Sins of a Solar Empire was good for a year.

Woorloog

Banned
Are these merely graphical updates or have they touched the gameplay? Because Homeworld 2 campaign (never played the first) certainly would love some tweaking (goddamn dynamic difficult).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom