• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of Cards S5 |OT| What’s said in the family, stays in the family - Netflix 5/30

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
8e4EW9H.jpg

Alternative sub-title: Still less ridiculous than real life.

A ruthless politician will stop at nothing to conquer Washington, D.C., in this Emmy and Golden Globe-winning political drama.

Release date: May 30th on Netflix.

Spoilers: For two weeks, you are to spoiler tag any spoiler discussions, while also labeling your post with the episode you discussing (i.e. episode 5:
Conway has tiny hands. Sad!
)

Links:

Cast:

v4iMLS6.jpg

Kevin Spacey as Frank Underwood, Robin Wright as Claire Underwood, Michael Kelly as Doug Stamper

IDEJkq7.jpg

Joel Kinnaman as Will Conway, Neve Campbell as LeAnn Harvey, Paul Sparks as Thomas Yates

yoDNBev.jpg

Boris McGiver as Tom Hammerschmidt, Jayne Atkinson as Catherine Durant, Derek Cecil as Seth Grayson

O17lWJs.jpg

Patricia Clarkson as Jane Davis, Campbell Scott as Mark Usher, Dominique McElligott as Hannah Conway

Reviews:

• Deadline:

Back for its fifth season on May 30, House of Cards has re-discovered its swagger in a new political era that makes the ruthless Frank and Claire Underwood look pretty great, reasonable and ever appealing as the Netflix series goes for the full soap opera, as I say in my video review above.

Promo photos

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
This is gonna be a strange watch now that no TV season can possibly rival the insanity of the real administration in anything less than 176 episodes.

This won't even be the best piece of political theater on just the day it releases.

Still be great though, can't blame it for coming out in a busy.... year.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
wait, all Netflix shows drop on fridays, this is messing with my brain.

I need to watch S4 still fuck :(

M.W.

I barely watch TV, let alone anything on Netflix but this is one show I make sure to watch. Can't wait.

Juice

Can't wait. Feel like I need to rewatch the first four seasons first but no way in hell would I ever have the time

how can fictional drama top what is going on in real life now, though?

The Underwoods will need to initiate WW3 or conjure up Cthulu to match the current real-life drama.

Vic_Viper

with the way things went in season 4, i'd expect season 5 to be the finale. it is not?

From some early reviews ive read, it sounds like Season 5 sets up Season 6 a great deal and would probably be the last season if they get renewed again. Really hope they get to do it too because this arc has been awesome after the finale of Season 4. Season 4 was by far the weakest of the series, especially when Frank was
in a coma
, but it started to turn around after the arc was over.

sdijoseph

From some early reviews ive read, it sounds like Season 5 sets up Season 6 a great deal and would probably be the last season if they get renewed again. Really hope they get to do it too because this arc has been awesome after the finale of Season 4. Season 4 was by far the weakest of the series, especially when Frank was
in a coma

Really? I thought Season 3 was by far the worst, and Season 4 was a return to form.

Man I can't wait... this show feels like it's been gone for so long. I think some shows could benefit from weekly releases on Netflix. It's hard to keep them in mind, and it feels like ages ago that S4 came out.

Man I can't wait... this show feels like it's been gone for so long. I think some shows could benefit from weekly releases on Netflix. It's hard to keep them in mind, and it feels like ages ago that S4 came out.

Yeah I've read a few arguments against releasing them all at once. With shows like Game of Thrones you get the weekly build up with endless theories and speculation, it lingers in the social consciousness a bit more. But hey, I'll probably power through Cards in a few days anyway.

in a coma
honestly, i feel it it is very difficult or at the very least different for viewers who binge watch the show rather than watch an episode a week, let alone every episode and then every season consecutively that's been released.

which is what i did, so i kinda judged the show as the whole 4 seasons rather than each individual season.

anyways, as far as setting season 6 up goes, season 5 needs to set up the fall. you can't be that evil without your actions catching up with you

Not

Banned
Season 2 was a mess. Season 3 was really bad. Haven't watched since then.

Nothing will touch that first glorious historic legendary first season of streaming television ever.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Deadline:

Back for its fifth season on May 30, House of Cards has re-discovered its swagger in a new political era that makes the ruthless Frank and Claire Underwood look pretty great, reasonable and ever appealing as the Netflix series goes for the full soap opera, as I say in my video review above.

I accept House of Cards is the new normal as I accept the the Trump administration as Reality TV.

Tuesday, I will be ordering pizza, see how many episodes I can marathon on a work night

Season 2 was a mess. Season 3 was really bad. Haven't watched since then.

Nothing will touch that first glorious historic legendary first season of streaming television ever.

I thought 2 was still great and 3 was just good, but 4 was boring as shit. Glad they realized this series is at its best when it's going gonzo. This isn't a series that should be reeling it in, if anything it needs to go balls-out. My binge starts in 26 hours!

I thought 2 was still great and 3 was just good, but 4 was boring as shit. Glad they realized this series is at its best when it's going gonzo. This isn't a series that should be reeling it in, if anything it needs to go balls-out. My binge starts in 2 hours!

my complaint with Season 2 was that Frank's scheme was too convoluted and it gets easily lost on the viewer. It made the "scandal'" harder to follow and it didn't feel that scandalous when you think about it in retrospect.
Walker's scandal seems like nothing compared to the shit show being played in real time reality

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Have been watching very little TV lately, but I'll binge the shit out of this. Love this show, I didn't hate season 3 but season 4 was a return to form. Hate that it's releasing on a tuesday though.

Top Bottom