• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of Cards Season 4 |OT| Anything for America. Netflix March 4th

Curufinwe

Just finished the season. Really good return to form, a lot better than S3 in my opinion.

My vote for most underrated character is Cathy Durant. It's fun to watch her navigate all of the Underwoods' nonsense in a way that makes sense for her situation, without being blindly loyal to them like most of the other members of their crew.

I like her a lot.
The scene with the letter opener was great.

Theorry

Just saw the final

"We make the terror" and then they both look into the camera. Its even better then the ending of season 2 with the slam on the table. Still dont know why i am rooting for them. They are crazy but you still want them to win.

Struct09

This season was really good, but I'm hoping they put a bow on the story and make season 5 the final one. Let the show go out on a high note.

Finished up S4 last night. The fuckery is off the charts, but that's sort of what I tune in for. I've accepted it.

I may be in the minority, but I really disliked Joel Kinnaman as a politican. Didn't think he pulled it off at all.

As a quick aside: The guy playing Yates might be the worst actor I've ever seen in a hit show.

He sort of just wanders through the show looking like he's been drugged. Which is really strange because I thought he was good/memorable in Boardwalk Empire.

yes, it's true, he is the worst actor of the entire show

I don't think that's necessarily true. He may make the worst acting choices in the show but he's capable. He showed it in Boardwalk Empire and again in Mud. He just makes some odd choices. He actually grew on me a lot this season though. I think it's something about his constant quiet reserve next to the bombast that is Frank and at times Claire. It also plays into why Claire (late season spoiler)
eventually falls for him. His sort of calm mirrors her own when she finally lets her guard down and is a normal human being

Finished up S4 last night. The fuckery is off the charts, but that's sort of what I tune in for. I've accepted it.

I may be in the minority, but I really disliked Joel Kinnaman as a politican. Didn't think he pulled it off at all.

He sort of just wanders through the show looking like he's been drugged. Which is really strange because I thought he was good/memorable in Boardwalk Empire.

Me too. He acted like how a novice would act if asked to act like a politician.

Just Finshed the season, Way better than Season 3 By a FUCKING country mile
Lars Mikkelson was underused this season, what 2-3 episode? come on!

And Joel Kinnaman was so shitty, I feel like he is trying to work with what he has, but he cant pull the weight. Should've gotten Denzel or Daniel Day Lewis to do it.

Robin Wright underacts since Episode one, but she pulls it off tbh, Claire is conniving, and just as much as a killer Frank is.

The ending had me legit shook though, it actually made me kinda question if obama did this shit during his presidency.

Derek Cecil is still kinda odd, but they showed his human side so I liked him this season.

All in all a solid 9.5 outta 10 for me. More Lars next season though.

And Joel Kinnaman was so shitty, I feel like he is trying to work with what he has, but he cant pull the weight. Should've gotten Denzel or Daniel Day Lewis to do it.

Funny I was just sort of half jokingly saying this to my friends. The show always feels like it is struggling to find anyone (character and/or actor) that can actually go toe to toe with Spacey's Underwood. Even when the writing is flat, Spacey is still able to make it exciting and entertaining and I kind of feel like only someone like Daniel Day-Lewis would be able to come in and actually out act Spacey and provide some form of an actual road block to Spacey. It's stretching a bit, other actors that aren't quite DDL could come in a do a great job I'm sure. But holy shit did Kinnaman ever stick out like a sore thumb on the show, he is just so excruciatingly flat.

someday

Banned
Somebody didn't watch Jessica Jones.
Was he in Jessica Jones? I watched it but don't remember him at all.

The ending had me legit shook though, it actually made me kinda question if obama did this shit during his presidency.
It honestly reminded me how the terror alert system was constantly changing during Bush's presidency. Whenever things looked bad for him, we'd jump to threat level orange and everyone would forget about anything else.

Draconian

Best season since the first. I did think it kinda peaked at episode 10 though.

Episode 13

I hope this terror plan of theirs works. Oh what am I saying? The Underwoods ain't gonna be done in by some retired reporter and their pawns. I refuse to believe it.

I enjoy how they're a bunch of snakes, but you always root for them to succeed.

Curufinwe

Lars Mikkelson was underused this season, what 2-3 episode? come on!

That seems unrealistic, to be kind.

Oddduck

This was actually a very entertaining season. A step up from Season 3.

I agree with those saying that Season 5 should be the last season. One final season to end everything with a bang. Unfortunately, they'll probably just keep dragging this show on and on.

Ashhong

Conway has no charisma whatsoever. I can't decide whether or not it's just poor acting.

He reminds me of a poor man's Armie Hammer, who can actually have charisma.

At first I thought it was his acting, but then he started to have darker scenes. However even in the public he is just kind of cold and awkward.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Conway has no charisma whatsoever. I can't decide whether or not it's just poor acting.

I don't know if it's poor acting, but the actor is just not fit for the role. It just doesn't produce the image of a character that suppose to be very popular.

Blablurn

the ending of season 3 made me go like: meh, who cares

the ending of season 4 made me go like: omg, give me season 5

that fucking ending

wow

Conway is basically Rubio, a robot who says nice things at the right time but without any charisma, conviction, or thought. The type of "perfect candidate" that media elites cook up. The writers of HoC also bought into this brand of candidate being successful. I think the actor was fine in portraying the type of politician he was intended to portray.

Of course, in real life, guys like that flop and no one likes them. I think that explains why many viewers thought Conway was the result of poor acting. I think the character himself was a poor actor, intentionally so. The disconnect is that the HoC writers believe, like the media elites, that a candidate such as this would be popular, but that's not the actor's fault.

Underwood is like a Bill Clinton or GWB, a great charismatic figure who connects on an emotional level, through hope or fear. Of course Conway would look terrible going against someone like that. I don't think it's the actor's fault. It might even be intentional.

someday

Banned
I don't know if it's poor acting, but the actor is just not fit for the role. It just doesn't produce the image of a character that suppose to be very popular.

The actor looked like a kid wearing a suit and pretending to be an adult. He didn't work for me at all even though I didn't really mind his acting.

Just started this series like a week ago and I completely binge watched all of it. I loved Hammerschmidt's character in the first few seasons and I'm so excited how they brought him back in season 4.

I really wonder about season 5,
I think that doing a jump ahead in time to when the US is at war and the results of Frank's fear and manipulation can be seen.

Kind of like the jump in time that Battlestar Galactica had. I think that revitalized the series and made it surprising again.

I don't think it will be as interesting to watch frank manipulate the government into hard terror actions.

I honestly could have seen the series end with Frank disgraced and out of options here on season 4. I don't feel like rooting for him anymore.

Seth is my favorite character by far. But I love hammerschmidt and I love that he might be the guy to take down underwood.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I really enjoyed this season - I didn't hate season 3, but I definitely enjoyed this one a lot more.

Yeah, I don't think he's well suited for that type of role. He was great on The Killing though.

Alpende

I just finished it and loved it, thought it was a lot better than season 3.
Claire noticing the audience at the end, paired with Frank's last remarks, gave me chills

Bring on season 5. That should be great. Also, Conway's kid is a douchebag, as is Conway.

Raptor

Finished last night, the last shot of the season when
Claire looks at the camera
is probably one of the best finales I have ever seen, I wanted to continue watching a new season immediatly lol, I even went and looked if I didnt skipped something.

HvySky

Just finished the season a few moments ago. That final shot was by far one of the most memorable moments of the entire series.
Claire looking at the camera gave me chills. As fascinated as I am watching their rise to power and fight to maintain it, I fucking hate both of them and look forward to (hopefully) seeing them brought down. #TeamHammerschmidt

Natiko

Banned
Just finished it. Much, much better than the previous two seasons. I almost quit the show for good during the third season but eventually forced myself to complete it. Glad I did.

Draconian

Just finished the season a few moments ago. That final shot was by far one of the most memorable moments of the entire series.
Claire looking at the camera gave me chills. As fascinated as I am watching their rise to power and fight to maintain it, I fucking hate both of them and look forward to (hopefully) seeing them brought down. #TeamHammerschmidt

I'd find it much more interesting if it was someone closer to them like Doug that brought them down. I think we've come too far for them to get taken down by a retired reporter. I think there's a more interesting way for the writers to go about it.

kiri

I think more people need to research the ending to the UK HoC

It seems pretty obvious to me that despite the reign of terror, Frank will be done-in somehow, probably by the Zöe murder. Claire recruits someone, likely Doug, to off Frank (now that Meechum is dead and can't do it) and then she takes over to continue his reign without having either of them being dragged through the dirt.

As a quick aside: The guy playing Yates might be the worst actor I've ever seen in a hit show.

He's one of those characters where all the surrounding characters constantly lavish praise on him for being a brilliant writer, but the viewer never sees any evidence of it themselves.

That look Claire gives to the camera along with Frank. Was that her first time breaking the fourth wall in the series?

HvySky

I'd find it much more interesting if it was someone closer to them like Doug that brought them down. I think we've come too far for them to get taken down by a retired reporter. I think there's a more interesting way for the writers to go about it.

Oh, I agree. I don't think Hammerschmidt and his team of reporters will be the ones to ultimately be their downfall. They've only lit the fuse, and I think Doug will eventually be the one to blow up. Him starting his shit again with a new Rachel spells danger for him and the Underwoods. And if he ends up killing her, too, he's not getting away with it this time.

Asbel

He's one of those characters where all the surrounding characters constantly lavish praise on him for being a brilliant writer, but the viewer never sees any evidence of it themselves.

That look Claire gives to the camera along with Frank. Was that her first time breaking the fourth wall in the series?

Claires VP acceptance speech was really damn good and yeah, I'm pretty sure that was her first time breaking the 4th wall.

JerkShep

It was really a return of form after the lackluster third season. My major issues are that some storylines (as has happened in previous seasons) feel a bit out of place to the general dynamic (in this season case
the NSA/search engine stuff felt really tacked on)
) and that the season felt complete after episode
, some of the storylines introduced afterwards needed more time to breathe.

Everytime I watch a Netflix series I have the impression that they could be much better with 10 episodes at most, with 13 they're stretching too thin. It happened with House of Cards, Daredevil, Jessica Jones.

Top Bottom