• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Narcos Season 3 |OT| Going Back to Cali - Netflix 9/1

Permanently A

I'm midway through the fifth episode and Idk. This season is alright I guess, but Pablo was far more compelling than the Cali godfathers.

I think its because Pablo was a character, a folk legend, whereas the Cali cartel are just businessmen. But, it was great fun to watch
the business crumble around them.

Overall, Jorge's storyline absolutely carried the season. The new DEA agents need a bit of something. I dunno what, but something.

I think its because Pablo was a character, a folk legend, whereas the Cali cartel are just businessmen. But, it was great fun to watch

Overall, Jorge's storyline absolutely carried the season. The new DEA agents need a bit of something. I dunno what, but something.
They're just too vanilla and safe.. I have no problem with them but they're just harmless and play by the rules unlike Murphy and Peña.

I do like how that one DEA agent had an ample collection of early 90s band tshirts, just in case you forgot this show was set in the early 90s.

Krixeus

Jorge was definitely my fav character with Peña right after. This series is quickly becoming one of my favourite Netflix series alongside Stranger Things after House of Cards' decline in its last couple seasons.

number11

Best season so far. Colombian Riz Ahmed was definitely a great addition. Season 4 question
was Pena involved in the Mexican drug trade, or is that it from him?

Best season so far. Colombian Riz Ahmed was definitely a great addition. Season 4 question
was Pena involved in the Mexican drug trade, or is that it from him?

To answer your question
Pena wasn't even involved with the Cali cartel in real life, so who knows?

I LOVED this season. Definitely because of Jorge, and man the tension and anxiety I felt during the last 4 or so episodes was....intense. Wasn't sure how this show was gonna be without Pablo, but I thought it was still great. Looking forward to season 4.

Just finished it. Loved it. Can understand those who preferred Escobar's rise and fall, but I enjoyed this just as much, if not more. Jorge's story was great, and Pena was terrific.

Also, Andrea Londo. Goddamn. Goddamn.

Bring on
Mexico

Sir Doom

So far I like.
I like series who doesn't get attached to their characters if it's time to go it's time.

I thought Chefe was Antonio Banderas lol and it's Carlito from Sense 8 playing a 😄

Damn Maria

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Just finished. I'm in the camp of this was better than Seasons 1 & 2. It was just balls to the wall tense shit from start to finish. I totally get liking Pablo's S1&2 run better, though, and don't fault anyone for doing so. He was a likable villain, that's for sure. Pacho is the fucking man, though.

This series in general puts most others to shame. Such incredible direction and acting. Columbia looks gorgeous in 4k, as an American who knew next to nothing about the country, it makes me want to visit it, assuming it was safe to do so.

Speaking of gorgeous, I can't tell who I think is hotter: Chepe, Pacho, or Jorge's wife. Dios mio!

Ingeniero

I marathoned this.
I liked it a lot... I didn't like Salcedo that much tho, I was rooting for the Narcos to go down, but not particularly rooting for him, he's a scumbag and got what he derserved in the end,
I´m glad he didn´t die tho.

Looking forward for S4.

HariKari

I marathoned this.
I liked it a lot... I didn't like Salcedo that much tho, I was rooting for the Narcos to go down, but not particularly rooting for him, he's a scumbag and got what he derserved in the end,

You seem to have a pretty interesting definition of scumbag.

You seem to have a pretty interesting definition of scumbag.

He was going along with a lot of heinous shit until he felt like his life was potentially in danger. From a distance, i doubt anybody would consider "the head of security for a murderous drug cartel" to be anything more than a scumbag, but a show like this goes a good job of introducing shades of grey to characters like Jorge.

Anyone else thinks of Max Payne when they see this guy?

bill-stechner_600x374.jpg

HariKari

He was going along with a lot of heinous shit until he felt like his life was potentially in danger. From a distance, i doubt anybody would consider "the head of security for a murderous drug cartel" to be anything more than a scumbag, but a show like this goes a good job of introducing shades of grey to characters like Jorge.

He let the
waiter coerced into spying flee and tried his best to protect Enrique until that wasn't an option. Also didn't give up the DEA safehouse.
. It's possible he was pushed into joining the cartel to begin with, and it's not like it's easy to flee once inside, as the show points out. They go to great lengths to show that
violence doesn't come naturally to him and that he wants out/to be legit.
The Cali cartel as a whole wasn't nearly as violent towards innocent people as Pablo was, by design. Most of the people that got clipped were involved in the trade somehow.

Shades of grey indeed.

Anyone else thinks of Max Payne when they see this guy?

Not quite, but I hope he gets more and more screentime. The CIA fuckery is one of the best parts of the show.

Not quite, but I hope he gets more and more screentime. The CIA fuckery is one of the best parts of the show.

They aren't particularly similar, but I immediately thought of Max Payne when the guy appeared in S2.

And I haven't finish S3 yet, but I defnitely wanted to see more of him in S2.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I thought this was a solid season. I thought the Godfathers of Cali were interesting and unique in their own right, not quite as compelling or as big of a force as Pablo was (on Narcos anyway), but they held their own. I felt like this season had more tense to it. I was on the edge of my seat more.

Agent Pena was downright amazing. He is such a better narrator too.

I agree with peeps saying Jorge was a great addition to the cast. I was rooting for his character from the jump. And towards the end,
I was worried he was going to be killed.

This show continually amazes me with its gorgeous shots. I think they outdid themselves this season. Simply beautiful. Another thing they stepped up was the music. So damn good.

My main complain about this season is the lack of strong women characters. Especially when we had such powerful women in season two.

I'm looking forward to see what they do with
Mexico.

Liked the season enough to watch all of it... In one day. Thrilling as usual. Only downside is the absence of Boyd Holbrook. I really liked that duo. The two replacement guys are good, I like them, but it's not quite the same.

Drain You

Let me preface this by saying I was pretty sick and slightly out of it during my viewing.

I watched the third season twice. The first time was when I really was in and out of sleep barely understood what was going on. Because I really loved the first two seasons I decided to play it again from the start once I was able to give it more of my attention. It still felt underwhelming to me.

I didn't think it was bad, but I guess I didn't enjoy this as much as the first two seasons. Is this the general consensus? Can't read the thread right now which is why I'm asking.

PS: Really enjoy the intro music.

Q8D3vil

I feel like one of the reason pablo was very interesting because he was crazy and craved thr spotlight, unlike cali who wanted to buy everyone and stay in the shadows.
Just finished ep 9 and it was extremely intense.

I marathoned this.

Looking forward for S4.

Real life Jorge Salcedo got 1.7million dollars for helping take down the Cali Cartel and had to plead guilty to minor charges. The show didn't want to glorify crime so they threw in the felony charges, the minimum wage job and eating at KFC just to say crime doesn't pay.

HariKari

Real life Jorge Salcedo got 1.7million dollars for helping take down the Cali Cartel and had to plead guilty to minor charges. The show didn't want to glorify crime so they threw in the felony charges, the minimum wage job and eating at KFC just to say crime doesn't pay.

He basically was slow-motion drafted into the cartel and he had little say in the matter. Working as a personal security consultant in Colombia, he was bound to cross paths with them anyways. I think he found himself in an inescapable situation and did what he could to minimize the damage and protect his family.

Loved when he
pulled a fast one on Navegante.

mooncakes

How did
Miguel Rodriguez get in behind the concrete wall? We don't see him entering from anywhere and somehow the police cant find the entrance but instead they drilled holes through the wall.

Fantastic season. My favorite so far. They have their style nailed now, and I no longer have to put up with Moura's horrible accent.

There was a lot of great acting in this season: Peña, Jorge, Pacho, Chepe, Miguel. And I loved that the Americans spoke Spanish more too. I really do hope that these actors get a lot more exposure and get more roles in Hollywood.

TheCool69

Neo Member
I dont know what is it about Miguel and Pepe but for me they are super captivating. The accent and the stoic look. Cant hardly breath during some scenes

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I love Chepe's and Berna's accent/voice. Berna reminds me of my uncle. The way he talks.

Fercho

Fantastic season. My favorite so far. They have their style nailed now, and I no longer have to put up with Moura's horrible accent.

There was a lot of great acting in this season: Peña, Jorge, Pacho, Chepe, Miguel. And I loved that the Americans spoke Spanish more too. I really do hope that these actors get a lot more exposure and get more roles in Hollywood.

Yeah, the show is a great showcase for Latin American talent, from Colombian, to Mexican , Argentina , etc. I hope they get more exposure.

Chepe's gravely voice is intimidating as fuck.

The scene in the beauty salon in NY is super bad ass..

IceCold

Amazing season. Can't wait for the next one. Cool to see how some of the Cali actors looked so similar to their real life counterparts. Like Chepe (shout out to a great Portuguese actor). Idk why, but one of the people I found the most scary was David. Always felt like he was going to lose his cool and do something crazy.

Gorillaz

Finished it finally. Easily the best season of the show and that says alot with pablo. In s2 they learned a bit more how to handle multiple storylines other then just the narcos and DEA and it showed greatly with the Jorge story. This season felt like proof that they know how to go forward without having someone like pablo completely overshadow everything like in Season 1 and 2. Pablo was great but he was also literally the only reason to watch the first season. S2 got better with it and this season they definitely knew how to balance it all out.

In terms of the ending
I'm really going to miss pena since It pretty much seems like he will be out going forward. Murphy wasn't bad last season but pena is easier to like[ and obviously a more grey character with his los pepe's connections and "by any means" approach

having to wait another full year for s4 tho is painful

Zzzonked

Just finished it. Super glad Jorge survived, I was rooting for him all season.

Also, fuck that thin lipped motherfucker David.

After finishing this season, and catching up with Defenders, I am convinced Netflix has a licencing deal with Wu-Tang Clan songs.

GrapeApes

Yeah this is so true especially with the cartel leaders. The guy they cast to play chepe is way too good looking when you compare him to the real guy lol. Guy could play Colombian James Bond.

Amazing season. Can't wait for the next one. Cool to see how some of the Cali actors looked so similar to their real life counterparts. Like Chepe (shout out to a great Portuguese actor).
🤔

Narcos S3 > Narcos S1 > Narcos S2

Binged the whole thing over three nights and loved just about every minute of it. Is there going to be a fourth series?

New002

I really enjoyed this season, and thought it was excellent. I didn't really find myself missing Pablo. I thought there were plenty of interesting and captivating characters this season. Excited for season 4.

RangerX

Banned
Just got finished up. Definitely my favourite season and I loved the first two. Sad that Pena is gone but I have faith in the showrunners. Best show on netflix along with Better Call Saul for me.

Carbonox

He basically was slow-motion drafted into the cartel and he had little say in the matter. Working as a personal security consultant in Colombia, he was bound to cross paths with them anyways. I think he found himself in an inescapable situation and did what he could to minimize the damage and protect his family.

Loved when he
pulled a fast one on Navegante.

Stories like Jorge's are one of those "only in TV" type deals 99.9% of the time but to read about how similar it was to the show's depiction just shows how god damn fucking 1 in a billion lucky Jorge was in real life. I guess being head of security gave him a degree of oversight an ordinary member of the Cartel wouldn't have to add to his immunity so to speak but still. Absolutely mad.

Permanently A

Stories like Jorge's are one of those "only in TV" type deals 99.9% of the time but to read about how similar it was to the show's depiction just shows how god damn fucking 1 in a billion lucky Jorge was in real life. I guess being head of security gave him a degree of oversight an ordinary member of the Cartel wouldn't have to add to his immunity so to speak but still. Absolutely mad.

I can only imagine how fucking terrifying it must have been to have
the first raid on Miguel completely fail.

Also I'm surprised they didn't adapt the police showing up at the
DEA meet,
that would have been a tense moment. The way he solved it was smart as hell.

Finished season 3 and it was just as good if not better than the prior seasons. Narcos is amazing and I can't wait for more.

Sir Doom

Wow episode 6. A lot things happened in that episode that put this season on top.

There are more characters they can fleshed out and you can root for.

Top Bottom