• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Narcos : Mexico Out now on Netflix

AfricanKing

37405910_1726212070825859_4688034379283300352_n-1-e1531932968373.jpg

Netflix Link

Reviews

The Guardian

All druglord sagas are alike. A driven young man with a flash of insane ambition in his eyes, who’s smarter, more brutal or luckier than his rivals, rapidly ascends a teetering mountain of cash, corpses and addictive substances. Then his appetite for success overtakes him and there’s a reckoning.

Netflix already controls this corner of the market via Narcos, its swaggering bio-drama about Pablo Escobar and the Colombian cocaine trade. In lieu of a fourth season of that, the standalone Narcos: Mexico moves north to profile Guadalajara kingpin Félix Gallardo, who made millions by uniting disparate regional marijuana dealers in a price-fixing gang, then couldn’t resist gambling on diversifying into coke.

CNN

After beginning with Pablo Escobar in Colombia, "Narcos" shifted to the Cali cartel, an equally colorful and bloodthirsty bunch. The latest change of scenery adds considerable star power, with Diego Luna as Miguel Angel Felix Gallardo, the savvy drug lord seeking to consolidate power across Mexico in the 1980s; and Michael Pena as Kiki Camarena,
the gung-ho DEA agent who ultimately met a tragic end (previously turned into a 1990 miniseries).

"Someone should call D.C. and tell them we surrendered Guadalajara," Camarena grouses early on, chafing against what he sees as the handcuffs placed on his agency by feckless superiors.
Both sides of the equation are fascinating, with Gallardo seeking to forge an uneasy peace among the various drug kingpins -- in what only can be likened to the mob families parceling off Cuba in "The Godfather Part II" -- establishing Mexico's first narco-union. (Gallardo was appropriately known as "El Padrino," or "The Godfather.")

Last edited:

AfricanKing

Are you shitting me? Instead of amending your post like a rational human being would do, you're doubling down. Pathetic.

I've asked you a question calmly , which bit is the spoiler and you decide to reply with that ...okay mate maybe its time you take some time off the internet

Kadayi

Banned
I've asked you a question calmly , which bit is the spoiler and you decide to reply with that ...okay mate maybe its time you take some time off the internet

Ok as apparently can't see the wood for the trees

Michael Pena as Kiki Camarena, the gung-ho DEA agent who ultimately met a tragic end

I look forward to you arguing the toss about it not being a spoiler now because in your mind everyone should apparently know the story from the off, and everyone watched the trailer /s

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
I’ve onky watched the first season(when it launched) and enjoyed it, I got caught up on other series since then... does Narcos get better? I’m thinking of watching it after I finish Gotham Season 4.

It’s either Narcos, last two seasons of Supernatural or Shameless.

AfricanKing

Ok as apparently can't see the wood for the trees

Michael Pena as Kiki Camarena, the gung-ho DEA agent who ultimately met a tragic end

I look forward to you arguing the toss about it not being a spoiler now because in your mind everyone should apparently know the story from the off, and everyone watched the trailer /s

That's why you're throwing your toys out the pram and acting like a spoilied child. Next time just message me the spoiler , I did not know that since I watched the first 3 seasons and know just from general knowledge since Narcos verges on historical fact.

Kadayi

Banned
That's why you're throwing your toys out the pram and acting like a spoilied child. Next time just message me the spoiler , I did not know that since I watched the first 3 seasons and know just from general knowledge since Narcos verges on historical fact.

I did. In the first post. My mistake was to assume you possessed enough IQ points to figure it out without me needing to spell it out. My bad.

AfricanKing

I’ve onky watched the first season(when it launched) and enjoyed it, I got caught up on other series since then... does Narcos get better? I’m thinking of watching it after I finish Gotham Season 4.

It’s either Narcos, last two seasons of Supernatural or Shameless.

It's worth it , it only gets better with each season honesty

Chittagong

Gold Member
Is this Narcos quality or a tier 2 spinoff? I mean Narcos went stale after Escobar was done, so anthology would be the best possible path ahead for the mainline show

Last edited:

Duallusion

Damn, so many good things to watch, so little time... Have yet to dive into season 3. First two seasons were great.

Malakhov

Banned
Hey, Diego Luna is in this one. Liked all 3 seasons before so I's starting this tonight. Will see Luna in the new star wars live action series on disney+ as well, good for him!

Kiki Camarena's story is absolutely brutal and tragic. Many older folks pass on his tragic fate as a warning to youngsters not to get involved in the business.

I'm curious to see how they'll handle the cartel's evolution because the truth is complex and quite different from what we've been told according to the war on drugs all these years. I'm assuming they're going to "Hollywood" it up but it could still be a decent show.

Each region had its own kingpin and one main boss (Gallardo), who began as a federal agent and took the reins of the cartel business to make it what it is today. He called shots over guys like a very young El Chapo. In the old days, the "men of honor" types in Mexico and Italy ran things with honor and respect. The Gomorrah changed all that by bringing a leaner and meaner approach that eventually led to terrifying paramilitary, narco-malitia organizations like Los Zetas.

Seems a little low budget i guess. Not getting the same vibes as season 1 or two.

It is the same show right or just the name with all different production people?

Kadayi

Banned
Like any of the previous seasons, it was pretty binge-worthy. I wouldn't necessarily say any of the performances were standout and Diego Luna isn't exactly a heavyweight in that regard, but in terms of telling the tale of how the Guadalajara Cartel came about it was pretty easy to follow and understand. The main takeaways from it all though is that Mexico was corrupt as hell and that Mexican actress Teresa Ruiz is hot as hell. Curious to see based on what happens at the end whether assuming we get further seasons it will be centred in Mexico, or back in Columbia.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Is this a documentary or a drama? I'm not in a place where I can watch the trailer.

BraveOne

Just finished it,

Michael Pena finally gets a serious role and he knocks it out the park,
Like typical Narcos we gotta wait another year for the next season but its going to be worth the wait knowing whats coming next.

mekes

Enjoying it so far. But I must say we were spoiled with the acting masterclass of the guy who played Escobar. Diego Luna just isn’t as good.

Yeah no standout performances but they all do a good job and the script is great. Sadly I'm far more interested in the affairs of the narcos than the DEA agent. Every time it cuts to his sub-plot I go off and do something until muh narcos bros are back, building their empire and shit.

Kadayi

Banned
Enjoying it so far. But I must say we were spoiled with the acting masterclass of the guy who played Escobar. Diego Luna just isn’t as good.

Agreed. I wasn't feeling it at all when it came to his acting. There are a couple of points where anyone would legitimately be shitting themselves as to what's potentially going to happen and dude is just there like it's no big deal. Even though there's every chance he could end up as pig food. Doesn't necessarily diminish from the series as a whole, but its hard to get invested in the character.

Javthusiast

Banned
Season 3 so far was my favourite and I am gonna miss Pedro Pascal. But I am definitely excited to check out this spin off.

mekes

Agreed. I wasn't feeling it at all when it came to his acting. There are a couple of points where anyone would legitimately be shitting themselves as to what's potentially going to happen and dude is just there like it's no big deal. Even though there's every chance he could end up as pig food. Doesn't necessarily diminish from the series as a whole, but its hard to get invested in the character.

I wanted to watch the rest of the series before commenting again and addressing this. But you’ve said it well I think. With season one of the original I feel we had a proper introduction to the characters and their starting points for what followed. I don’t feel we got that with Mexico and that being the start made it difficult to invest in Miguel’s character. Definitely what you stated above, that would be my view for the bulk of the show, episodes 2-9.

When Miguel attacked and killed the character whilst waiting for the lift in the hotel it almost felt out of character for him, but then also felt like a turning point too. The ending of the show got me more invested for what’s to come rather than the previous 8 episodes beforehand.

Overall, still my favourite show and I’ll eagerly await season 2. I just didn’t get fully invested until near the end of this season. But my only real gripe was Diego Luna and I feel it was half his portrayal and half the fact that he had almost been involved in nothing at all until the end of the season with little background as to why he was in the middle of anything at all, let alone this.

Solid B+ from me

LordPezix

Just started. Doesn't seem as up to par as the original.

I really want to like Michael Pena but his character seems fairly empty so far.

I'll give Ep 2 a watch tonight and see if I shall continue or just let the good memories of the First and Second season be what I remember of the franchise.

boinx

Meh, weakest season of Narcos so far but it was watchable. Hopefully they will deliver with the next season, the build up seems promising.
Diego Luna didn't do that great of a job either, every scene he looked either worried or confused.

I thought it was the best yet... And for that very reason about how Luna looked. I thought his subtle acting was superb. After the grandiose of Pablo, I enjoyed how he portrayed a conflicted Felix. I think that was the point, too... Was why he was referred to as the Thin Man. He could seem meek, and a main theme of this season is that supposed meekness -- people doubting him, asking him to change, every having demands, even those he thought were family. I thought the acting really brought out that conflict, distraught uncertainty of which path to take.

Watching it a second time so we'll see how it ages, and it's a lofty goal to the confidence in the first two seasons and the style of the third -- the first and third seasons which I've both watched a few times. But loved it so far. A few moments had me grinning out of nostalgia or style, but for me it was the visibly distraught conflict, the eye movement, the speaking patterns, etc in Felix as he grapples with growing demands that will won me over.

LordPezix

Watched Ep.2.

I'm at a bit of an impasse. The show isn't good enough for me to want to continue but isn't bad enough for me to risk the chance of starting a new one, only to find out it sucks worse.

However given the 33% rule, I will watch 1 more episode and make my decision tonight as to whether I continue on or not.

Its an awesome season and I like how they still managed to connect it with the previous seasons as well and that subtle introduction of El Chapo :D

royox

As a Spanish person I'm having a LOT. of trouble understanding what the fuck the mexicans are saying when they go full mexican. My gosh it's even worse than whith the Colombians and Escobar.

Top Bottom