• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Narcos S2 |OT| Spoiler: Snape kills Pablo Escobar - Netflix 9/2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's weird how Murphy would need translation at times and then not at others...even if both times had important conversations.

That's how it works if you don't speak enough of a language to be fluent. All kinds of things can throw you off and make understanding difficult. It's not consistent.

Only seen first episode so far. Loved it. I genuinely hope they do a season 3 with another cartel.

I guess I'm finished after this season. Unless they jump directly to El Chapo the series dies with Pablo. I have practically no interest in the Cali Cartel, unless they inroduce some more interesting characters.

Beefy

Got to admit it seemed to drag a bit. Not as good as the first season, but I hope they go on to do something else.

Only halfway through the season but I gotta say they're knocking the cinematography out of the park. Light and shadows are used beautifully.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Just finished, and I agree it was a drag. But that was expected, first season covers 18 years of his life vs this one covers few months.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Lmao, he's trying to whitewash some of his father's crimes. Escobar was involved in Diana Turbay's kidnapping. It's even in the Wikipedia entry.

Turbay was kidnapped on August 30, 1990, when she was tricked into going to a supposed interview with a guerrilla leader, the Spanish priest Manuel Pérez Martínez, alias El Cura Pérez (The Priest Pérez). Turbay had been contacted by phone by an unidentified man. Later, a police investigation determined that the man belonged to Los Priscos, a criminal band, and had been hired by Pablo Escobar. The latter's aim was to kidnap as many politicians and journalists as possible, to prevent Colombian legislators from approving an extradition treaty with the United States.

He's right about the truce with the Cali cartel. The Cali cartel even hired American mercenaries to kill him (there's a book called At the Devil's Table that talks about this and how a man helped to bring down that cartel), so I doubt he would have liked to do deals with them.

I'm Colombian as well. I wasn't alive when the majority of this stuff happened, and when I was, I was too little to pay attention, so all of this is very new to me. It is shocking the amount of violence, fear and distress Pablo and the rest of them put the Colombian people through. I mean, I knew Colombia had a troubled past and I knew of the violence, but I guess actually seeing it (the news clips they show throughout the show) took me back.

The first season you weren't really sympathetic towards Pablo. I think in S2, they strike a balance of being sympathetic and wondering how the fuck a man could do all those things (or the Cali Cartel/Los Pepes for that matter).

My family is from Cali and I'm lucky they weren't hurt or killed during those years.

I guess I'll have to see it to make up my mind. Thanks, GK86. I hope I enjoy it. I'll probably curse along the way at the shit this guy did to our country.

Murkas

Great season, possibly better than the first.

Season 2 spoilers:
The bench scene in the final episode ;_;

Carrillo ;_;

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Just finished it up. I thought it was a great season. More focused, better shot action scenes, and better narrative over the first season.

The writers did a good job in making you feel like Pablo was human. Which is a tough thing to do when you are talking about a monster that perpetrated countless of horrific acts. Not that there were saints all around him. Los Pepes, the Cali Cartel, even Colonel Carrillo, all did things that were horrible.

Wagner Moura was the standout again. You can feel the power and his presence every time he was on screen. I really liked that the women had a bigger role this time around. Paulina Gaitán (Tata) did a great job.

I think the complaints against it being slow or dragging on are both right and wrong. I think it feels that way, not because it feels like they are taking time in getting to his death, but because the last bit of episodes don't have as much action as the beginning or even the first season.

I'm interested to see where they take next season, but man, it is going to be hard to fill that huge void Wagner Moura will leave behind.

berzeli

Banned
Finished it. Overall I found it to be as enjoyable as the frist season, even though I found the cat and mouse game with Pablo's family going from hideout to hideout to overstay its welcome a bit.

My favourite touch is that they switch out the presidents (Bush->Clinton) on the TV in the opening titles depending on when the episode takes place. Love it when a show pays attention to details like that.

jmood88

I guess I'm finished after this season. Unless they jump directly to El Chapo the series dies with Pablo. I have practically no interest in the Cali Cartel, unless they inroduce some more interesting characters.
Man, everything that happened with the Cali cartel was crazy. You should read At The Devil's Table.

Amazing season I thought. Really enjoyed watching this and liked it more than the first. So excited to see what they bring in season 3 after this.

Just finished episode 4, was surprised that
Carrillo
got killed off, considering
the guy he's supposedly based on is still alive

Gorillaz

Im surprised at how quiet this thread is. Like this was huge last year.

Anyway im about halfway through ep 4. So good.

Carrillo
yeah I don't get how that happened.
maybe that guy in real life wasn't as aggressively going after escobar either.

GrapeApes

Carrillo
Well the show does start with a warning about some of it being fictionalized. Looked up some of Pablo's sicarios and they ended up differently than in the show. So yeah can't take it all for facts.

DeviantBoi

Just finished watching season two and it ended exactly like I wanted it to end:

How much do you know about Cali Cartel?

Pkaz01

Second season was fantastic, way better than the first for me. Wagnar needs to get some awards he was so good, Pedro had a great season as well.
I felt like there was less focus on his mcouly coulkin looking partner and that was helfpul imo.

I need to find me a ride or die wife like Tata. What a women lol. And i liked liked the rival team up aspect. Don Berna was interesting to me, kinda reminds me of joe from the wire

Second season was fantastic, way better than the first for me. Wagnar needs to get some awards he was so good, Pedro had a great season as well.
I felt like there was less focus on his mcouly coulkin looking partner and that was helfpul imo.

I need to find me a ride or die wife like Tata. What a women lol. And i liked liked the rival team up aspect. Don Berna was interesting to me, kinda reminds me of joe from the wire
javier pena is definitely my favorite character.

i wish
he did more womanizing though like he did last season. i dunno why but there was something just so entertaining about this guy ending up in bed with every woman he came across.

Dr.Acula

Banned
My favourite part of the show is googling events and discovering that the crazy stuff you're 100% sure the writers must have made up actually happened.

The fact that Steve Murphy
was on the roof when Escobar died is so crazy. The DEA were running the show in Colombia in the 90s. That's craaaaazy!

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
My favourite part of the show is googling events and discovering that the crazy stuff you're 100% sure the writers must have made up actually happened.

The fact that Steve Murphy
was on the roof when Escobar died is so crazy. The DEA were running the show in Colombia in the 90s. That's craaaaazy!

When they showed
the actual picture, it looks liked hunters standing over a bear.

Also, real life Murphy looks like a pencil pusher.

mavo

Banned
I loved how they portray the CIA
as in they would screw over the DEA for "bigger" interests, which is kinda true afaik, in the first season they talk about the death of camarena, a dea agent, and the guys who killed him where supposedly protected by the CIA because they helped fund the contras in Nicaragua

One thing i hated this season and in season one is the accents, like some dudes dont even try, i know is nitpicky af but i really like hearing the colombian accents, really pleasant to the ear.

mantidor

As a Colombian, how offended will I be if I watch this?

I kind of want to see it, but any series that try to make me sympathetic to the psychopath that constantly bombed my city is a no-no.

Or well, maybe I can take it if it's that good.

It's ridiculously well made, they even got the license plates right as they were back then. It's probably why Moura's accent sticks out like a sore thumb, because everything else is so authentic.

The first season was better about portraying Escobar, the second so far is feeling way too sympathetic to him for my tastes. If anything as a Colombian that lived through most of it I'm more bothered about the reaction to the series than the series itself, because most are fascinated about him and that always makes my stomach turn.

Tainted

Just finished watching and really enjoyed the 2nd season. I'm not sure
portraying Escobar in a sympathetic light was respectful to the people of Columbia after all the atrocities he committed though

Really hope there is a
third season so we can see the downfall of the Cali cartel

jmood88

It's ridiculously well made, they even got the license plates right as they were back then. It's probably why Moura's accent sticks out like a sore thumb, because everything else is so authentic.

The first season was better about portraying Escobar, the second so far is feeling way too sympathetic to him for my tastes. If anything as a Colombian that lived through most of it I'm more bothered about the reaction to the series than the series itself, because most are fascinated about him and that always makes my stomach turn.
I have no idea how you can say that they portray him as a sympathetic character. He's shown to be a delusional and hypocritical monster.

orioto

Good Art™
portraying Escobar in a sympathetic light was respectful to the people of Columbia after all the atrocities he committed though

Really hope there is a

Well i get the whole humanizing aspect cause this is just the modern way of doing things. Showing him as a one sided monster would be boring and silly.

Now, i have to say the "cute" aspect of Escobar live probably have more influence on the viewer than the atrocities. Cause the people killed are just mentioned, sometimes showed, but they don't have the same dramatic treatment. You see them with distance, while you're really familiar with Escobar after 2 seasons.

Anyway i found that pretty good! At first i found the second season less interesting cause the first one was showing a real evolution in the character and the story, while that season is more linear. It's a straight line to the end. But it's also more dramatic and intense somewhat.

What's a little unfortunate is the aesthetic is not really strong. I mean it's basically a collection of this genre cliché, with 30 light hearted assassination montage etc..

Dr.Acula

Banned
Wow

So Murphy wasn't on the scene until the 90s? That means all his involvement in season 1 was fictionalized and dramatized right?

I meant he wasn't part of the gun fight that resulted in Escobar's death. According to Murphy, he arrived in Colombia just before Escobar entered his private prison.

http://observer.com/2015/08/dea-age...el-chapo-and-the-accuracy-of-netflixs-narcos/

"I was only in Colombia about three days when Escobar surrendered to his custom built prison. For me, I knew who Escobar was, but it was interesting to watch these guys because they had been working their butts off and all of a sudden I’m seeing this disappointment, almost a depression. And I didn’t understand it at the time, but I soon learned these guys had dedicated their lives to chasing this guy. And then the governor of Colombia lets him surrender to this custom built prison."

New002

Really hope there is a

I read a review saying something similar, so I had that in mind when watching, but I never felt that way.
I just thought he was a monstrous person, and his mother and wife were pretty terrible as well. They all had some twisted views. I don't know if we were supposed to sympathize with then, but I really didn't. Only ones I felt bad for were the kids.

DeviantBoi

I was hoping that the show would go through the rise and fall of the different cartels, but I think Netflix announced a show based on the life of El Chapo, so I doubt Narcos would ever go there.

The way I thought things would go:

1. Medellin Cartel
2. Medellin Cartel / Cali Cartel
3. Cali Cartel / Gulf Cartel
4. Gulf Cartel / Sinaloa Cartel
5. Sinaloa Cartel

The Gulf Cartel was buying drugs from the Cali Cartel, so that's how you transition from Colombia to Mexico. When the leader of the Gulf Cartel (Osiel Cárdenas Guillén), was captured, the Sinaloa Cartel (led by Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman) rose to prominence.

And you can throw in the Zetas into the story since they were the military arm of the Gulf Cartel until the Zetas betrayed them.

And you end the series with El Chapo back in prison waiting for extradition to the US.

I meant he wasn't part of the gun fight that resulted in Escobar's death. According to Murphy, he arrived in Colombia just before Escobar entered his private prison.

http://observer.com/2015/08/dea-age...el-chapo-and-the-accuracy-of-netflixs-narcos/

"I was only in Colombia about three days when Escobar surrendered to his custom built prison. For me, I knew who Escobar was, but it was interesting to watch these guys because they had been working their butts off and all of a sudden I’m seeing this disappointment, almost a depression. And I didn’t understand it at the time, but I soon learned these guys had dedicated their lives to chasing this guy. And then the governor of Colombia lets him surrender to this custom built prison."
exactly. he says he was in Colombia for 3 years, while the tv show makes it look like he was there for years, adopting a kid - the baby daughter of the guy that escobar hired to blow up the plane, all the while worrying his wife

Just finished the last episode, wonder how good this show will be without Wagner. Awesome season nonetheless. BTW Tata was bangin in this my goodness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom