• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Narcos S2 |OT| Spoiler: Snape kills Pablo Escobar - Netflix 9/2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Mki5049.jpg

In the second season, notorious drug kingpin Pablo Escobar is on the run, with the Colombian authorities in relentless pursuit -- and determined to put an end to his illegal activities.

Edit - Renewed for two more seasons! Teaser trailer announcement for S3.

Release date: September 2nd on Netflix.

Spoilers: For two weeks after release, you are to spoiler tag your posts (ex:
Wait, Pablo dies in this??
)

Links:

Reviews:

• NY Times:

Season 1 covered roughly 15 years, tracing the rise of Escobar and cocaine throughout the 1980s. Season 2 is more claustrophobic, and, since we know Escobar was killed by the Colombian authorities in December 1993, has far less time to work with.

And so it takes us ever deeper into the byzantine worlds of narco-crime and South American politics. Escobar has more than just law enforcement to worry about. Rival drug dealers are trying to capitalize on his organization’s weakened state, and groups with political rather than criminal agendas are seeing the manhunt as an opportunity to advance their causes.

The Maritza story line is representative of one thing Season 2 has that Season 1 didn’t: significant roles for women. There is Judy Moncada (Cristina Umaña), one of those rival drug dealers, who is bent on avenging some particularly brutal deaths Escobar doled out. There is Claudia Messina (Florencia Lozano), who is sent from the United States to take over the Drug Enforcement Administration’s somewhat anemic efforts to assist in the manhunt. And Escobar’s wife, Tata (Paulina Gaitán), becomes more assertive about securing her family’s safety.
  • AV Club:

So how does Narcos faithfully tell its true story while preparing to lose its leading man and its most compelling character?

Based on the first five episodes of season two, the plan is to approach the story as if there’s nothing to hold back. The Escobar saga is lengthy and complex enough that it could fuel multiple seasons if newly installed showrunners Eric Newman and Jose Padilha so chose, and the first season ended on a muted note that suggested a willingness to pad the story with stylish but meandering detours. But the latest 10-episode batch represents Narcos with its brake lines cut—more brisk, more satisfying, and free of the responsibility to lay expositional groundwork. If for no other reason than the paring back of too-clever narration by lead DEA agent Steve Murphy (Boyd Holbrook), Narcos is becoming its best self in its run up to an extreme makeover should Netflix re-up.

Narcos’ first season chronicled the first 15 years of Escobar’s rise to infamy, and the season picks up in 1992 after Escobar’s prison escape and only covers the last year before his murder in 1993. It’s difficult to overstate how different Narcos feels without the temporal sprawl, how it feels more epic after radically reducing its scope.

Extending Narcos beyond season two seems like a mistake, in part because Moura’s performance provides the show’s gravity and its sense of purpose. But perhaps there’s way more story to be told. After all, Escobar didn’t invent the cocaine trade, he just perfected it, much as the producers of the show about his life have found a way to make their product considerably more potent.
  • IGN:

But Narcos' second season gets a bit chewy and repetitive in the middle. It also tends to over-romanticize Escobar, going to almost ridiculous levels by the final three chapters. I can see why though, to some extent, despite the man's monstrous and murderous actions. As was the case in Season 1, Wagner Moura is absolutely riveting as Escobar, so much so that more of an effort is made this season to spend time with the character and draw us into his heart and mind, making things feel less like a documentary reenactment than last year.

That being said, Season 2 really lays it on thick with regards to humanizing Escobar, for better or worse. The end result being, well, he's the draw. The one we care about is the crazed mass killer. Much of this feels similar to another Netflix international production, Marco Polo, where Benedict Wong's Kublai Khan, and his direct family drama, became that show's addictive nucleus. It's funny too that both Wong and Moura gained weight for these historical roles, though Moura seems to be aided by a bit of excessive padding this season.

Cast:
gG8v1UY.jpg

Wagner Moura as Pablo Escobar, Pedro Pascal as Javier Peña, Boyd Holbrook as Steve Murphy

YhWZNXW.jpg

Joanna Christie as Connie Murphy, Paulina Gaitan as Tata Escobar, Jorge A. Jimenez as Poison

N4uIZ3K.jpg

Eric Lange as Bill Stechner, Alberto Ammann as Pacho Herrera, Diego Cataño as La Quica

Promo photos:

Cmagus

I'm halfway through the first season and it's really great so far but I need to hurry up and finish it so I can be ready for this season.

Walpurgis

Banned
Season one was a gripping. I'm a sucker for crime dramas but the fact that this was all real history made it so much better.

Two reviews on MC so far.
http://www.metacritic.com/tv/narcos/season-2

We Got This Covered said:
A season of television bolstered by memorable performances, an impeccably-paced plot, and an unflinching look into the life of a man who changed Colombia forever.
90 - This site gave season 1 a 50 but different reviewer.

Entertainment Weekly said:
Where season 1 spanned 10 years, season 2 captures Escobar's last days on the loose. Each tightly packed episode moves quickly without sacrificing richness, chronicling the uneasy alliances and gross tactics employed to Snare Escobar.
83 - Can't find a season 1 review but they are saying it is better than season 1.
https://mobile.twitter.com/EW/status/769220074079133696

First season averaged at 77.

Hopefully more good reviews come because I am still worried. There was some bad news behind the scenes a while back. I can't remember the specifics but I just lost all hope for season 2 when I heard it.

MaKTaiL

Hopefully more good reviews come because I am still worried. There was some bad news behind the scenes a while back. I can't remember the specifics but I just lost all hope for season 2 when I heard it.
It was basically Pablo Escobar's son trying to stop production of the second season saying he didn't allow it. Nothing happened though.

Magni

I thought this series was gonna focus on a different narco every season? They're gonna drag out his downfall for a full season?

Whatever, the first season was great, binge watched it last winter. Might have to get Netflix again for a month for this.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
NY Times:

Season 1 covered roughly 15 years, tracing the rise of Escobar and cocaine throughout the 1980s. Season 2 is more claustrophobic, and, since we know Escobar was killed by the Colombian authorities in December 1993, has far less time to work with.

And so it takes us ever deeper into the byzantine worlds of narco-crime and South American politics. Escobar has more than just law enforcement to worry about. Rival drug dealers are trying to capitalize on his organization’s weakened state, and groups with political rather than criminal agendas are seeing the manhunt as an opportunity to advance their causes.

The Maritza story line is representative of one thing Season 2 has that Season 1 didn’t: significant roles for women. There is Judy Moncada (Cristina Umaña), one of those rival drug dealers, who is bent on avenging some particularly brutal deaths Escobar doled out. There is Claudia Messina (Florencia Lozano), who is sent from the United States to take over the Drug Enforcement Administration’s somewhat anemic efforts to assist in the manhunt. And Escobar’s wife, Tata (Paulina Gaitán), becomes more assertive about securing her family’s safety.

AV Club:

So how does Narcos faithfully tell its true story while preparing to lose its leading man and its most compelling character?

Based on the first five episodes of season two, the plan is to approach the story as if there’s nothing to hold back. The Escobar saga is lengthy and complex enough that it could fuel multiple seasons if newly installed showrunners Eric Newman and Jose Padilha so chose, and the first season ended on a muted note that suggested a willingness to pad the story with stylish but meandering detours. But the latest 10-episode batch represents Narcos with its brake lines cut—more brisk, more satisfying, and free of the responsibility to lay expositional groundwork. If for no other reason than the paring back of too-clever narration by lead DEA agent Steve Murphy (Boyd Holbrook), Narcos is becoming its best self in its run up to an extreme makeover should Netflix re-up.

Narcos’ first season chronicled the first 15 years of Escobar’s rise to infamy, and the season picks up in 1992 after Escobar’s prison escape and only covers the last year before his murder in 1993. It’s difficult to overstate how different Narcos feels without the temporal sprawl, how it feels more epic after radically reducing its scope.

Extending Narcos beyond season two seems like a mistake, in part because Moura’s performance provides the show’s gravity and its sense of purpose. But perhaps there’s way more story to be told. After all, Escobar didn’t invent the cocaine trade, he just perfected it, much as the producers of the show about his life have found a way to make their product considerably more potent.

IGN:

But Narcos' second season gets a bit chewy and repetitive in the middle. It also tends to over-romanticize Escobar, going to almost ridiculous levels by the final three chapters. I can see why though, to some extent, despite the man's monstrous and murderous actions. As was the case in Season 1, Wagner Moura is absolutely riveting as Escobar, so much so that more of an effort is made this season to spend time with the character and draw us into his heart and mind, making things feel less like a documentary reenactment than last year.

That being said, Season 2 really lays it on thick with regards to humanizing Escobar, for better or worse. The end result being, well, he's the draw. The one we care about is the crazed mass killer. Much of this feels similar to another Netflix international production, Marco Polo, where Benedict Wong's Kublai Khan, and his direct family drama, became that show's addictive nucleus. It's funny too that both Wong and Moura gained weight for these historical roles, though Moura seems to be aided by a bit of excessive padding this season.

Chase17

Very excited! Don't remember much about S1 outside the fact that I liked it a lot. Did the partner turn out to be a mole or something?

Bollocks

So tomorrow's the day, can't wait, time for a new Netflix trial account.

I thought this series was gonna focus on a different narco every season? They're gonna drag out his downfall for a full season?

I don't even think that they will show his downfall or at least don't kill him off but instead create some alternate universe where he's alive and kicking. Fine by me.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

Whatever, the first season was great, binge watched it last winter. Might have to get Netflix again for a month for this.

The last season is covering a year of his life. Not sure how you can drag out a year over the course of 10 episodes.

Fuck why isn't this up yet, Stranger Things went up at like 10pm the previous day last time.

It's 12:42am ffs, I need my narcos fix.

Magni

The last season is covering a year of his life. Not sure how you can drag out a year over the course of 10 episodes.

True, but relative to season 1 which covered I forget how many years... I guess "going more in depth" is a nicer way of putting it.

Blastoise

Banned
Watched the first episode of season 2. Really solid stuff.

I love the sets in this show. Everything feels huge and real. Can't wait to binge.

4 episodes down...if this doesn't end with him getting caught then I'll call bullshit on the show..lol

you can spoil it by reading his wiki

I paused in the middle of ep 4 just to say wow

ep 4
did he know the driver set him up or did the driver set the girl up? I guess I'll find out when I watch the rest

nOoblet16

you can spoil it by reading his wiki

I paused in the middle of ep 4 just to say wow

ep 4
did he know the driver set him up or did the driver set the girl up? I guess I'll find out when I watch the rest
I know he died, what I mean is that if the show delays it for another season I'd be disappointed but I don't think it'll happen.

As for episode 4,
he set the girl up so that she could go free from the pimp dude who wants to kill her and also gain Pablo's trust. Or atleast that's what I think, it could also be that he really wanted Pablo to get caught but then saw him say goodbye to his kids and wife and that changed his mind.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Episode 3:

Pablo has an ability to turn people into monsters. Colonel Carrillo murdering that kid and throwing those two off of the helicopter was ruthless.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck yeah Narcos is back! I honestly can't see how they will continue the show with Wagner Moura, he's so riveting, he is a large part of why i like the show. Hopefully they find a way to move forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom