• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Narcos S2 |OT| Spoiler: Snape kills Pablo Escobar - Netflix 9/2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mantidor

I finished it, it was pretty good. Wagner Moura was so good,
the confrontation with his dad was so compelling and sad
I also can't believe he got me to empathize with Escobar for a few moments. I will watch the next season but honestly i can't see how they top Moura's performance.

The appearance of his dad is the best liberty they took. I think that much of Escobar's character came from his upbringing as a kid of a single mom so it changes actual events quite a bit but it also grounded the character, the acting was also pretty great. I even got pretty nostalgic because wherever his dad was reminded me a lot from the town my dad is from.

However it is basically impossible for me to sympathize with Escobar at any level, I loath to say it but I would have pulled the trigger myself.

KarmaCow

Just finished and I don't really have any strong feelings either way. Honestly the biggest thing that stood out to me was (full season)
Limon/Jhon sticking with Pablo to the end. His diehard loyalty made no sense to me or why they wanted to highlight that. I can get having him kill Maritza to show how far he's fallen/changed but I still don't get how he got to that point.

Well that and how they tried to make Pablo more human. The man is a monster and any moments where they try to engender sympathy is undercut by him being a delusional hypocrite of the highest order a second later. Tata is a little more understandable but still incredibly frustrating.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The loyalty from Limon was the fact that many viewed Pablo as Robin Hood. A man that helped the poor by giving them cash, building soccer fields, stores, neighborhoods. Limon lived in a neighborhood that Pablo helped built. Throughout the show they mention people wouldn't turn on Pablo because they loved him and what he had done for them.

This was before he took it way too far and they saw him in a different light.

KarmaCow

The loyalty from Limon was the fact that many viewed Pablo as Robin Hood. A man that helped the poor by giving them cash, building soccer fields, stores, neighborhoods. Limon lived in a neighborhood that Pablo helped built. Throughout the show they mention people wouldn't turn on Pablo because they loved him and what he had done for them.

But that's what I mean, (full season)
Pretty much everyone else, abandoned him. Limon is not an idiot, he knows what Pablo does and he showed apprehension to following through with the despicable acts before but he's the only left in the end. The serve in episode 4 worked so well because it made sense that Limon, the only one who isn't seemingly blood thirsty, would turn in Pablo. It was so shocking because he does almost the other extreme, even to the point of fucking over Maritza albeit while trying to help. There's a glimmer of self awareness when he actually does kill Martiza but that ended up just further cementing his loyalty.

scabro

https://youtu.be/8Qln8JVcqjY?t=1839

in that neighborhood people loved him

This show is almost too binge watchable, if you have a busy schedule it's torture. They know how to end on a cliffhanger too. Five episodes in, excellent season so far. And as an ex smoker, this show is torture. Everyone god damn smokes and looks cool doing it.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
just finished the episode when they kill
Colonel Carrillo
. FUCK 😟😟😟😟

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
The appearance of his dad is the best liberty they took. I think that much of Escobar's character came from his upbringing as a kid of a single mom so it changes actual events quite a bit but it also grounded the character, the acting was also pretty great. I even got pretty nostalgic because wherever his dad was reminded me a lot from the town my dad is from.

However it is basically impossible for me to sympathize with Escobar at any level, I loath to say it but I would have pulled the trigger myself.

I don't blame you, Escobar was human scum.

just finished the episode when they kill
Colonel Carrillo
. FUCK 😟😟😟😟

If it makes you feel any better... REAL LIFE SPOILER:
Carrillo was a fictional character that was based loosely on Col. Hugo Martíne and he is alive and well. Here's an interview he did somewhat recently
Like half the show is made up stuff.

Oh i read the wikipedia entry about the cali cartel, it's pretty weird certain events didn't make it into the show since it was so tied to escobar,
i didn't know they tried to blow La Catedral with a fucking bomber.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I don't blame you, Escobar was human scum.

If it makes you feel any better... REAL LIFE SPOILER:
Carrillo was a fictional character that was based loosely on Col. Hugo Martíne and he is alive and well. Here's an interview he did somewhat recently
Like half the show is made up stuff.

Oh i read the wikipedia entry about the cali cartel, it's pretty weird certain events didn't make it into the show since it was so tied to escobar,
i didn't know they tried to blow La Catedral with a fucking bomber.

didn't know any of that, still I was hoping he'd stick around til the end. Complete badass of a man and even if he did some horrific shit, it was hard for me to not sympathize with the guy, considering the abysmal level of stress he had to work with

Midway through, Wagner is just straight up killing it. He has to be nominated for a bunch of awards for this, its amazing.

To the point where I am super happy that there are two more seasons of this to come but legit concerned about them finding a bad guy as magnetic as him.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
But that's what I mean, (full season)
Pretty much everyone else, abandoned him. Limon is not an idiot, he knows what Pablo does and he showed apprehension to following through with the despicable acts before but he's the only left in the end. The serve in episode 4 worked so well because it made sense that Limon, the only one who isn't seemingly blood thirsty, would turn in Pablo. It was so shocking because he does almost the other extreme, even to the point of fucking over Maritza albeit while trying to help. There's a glimmer of self awareness when he actually does kill Martiza but that ended up just further cementing his loyalty.

Everyone else is pretty much criminals and drug dealers though. Not exactly the most loyal of bunch.

I think Limon believes he is helping a man bigger than himself. Doing a small part for a man that has done so much, not only for his city, but for his country.

Social

Just finished it with the wife. It was about 50% more boring compared to season 1 but we still enjoyed it. Some parts were REALLY dragged out for the sake of it but I guess that's just how it is. Overall, incredible series.

jmood88

Just finished it with the wife. It was about 50% more boring compared to season 1 but we still enjoyed it. Some parts were REALLY dragged out for the sake of it but I guess that's just how it is. Overall, incredible series.
What was dragged out?

I was reminded of a colombian movie Satanas (it might be blocked in some countries though), because it has the actors who played Maritza and Gilberto Rodriguez. It's about the real life massacre of Pozetto, a restaurant in Bogota, its also in the 80s.

Lets not go that far, the difference is really only Escobar's delusions of grandeur.

The world kind of knows anyway, I really want to have focus on both AUC and specially FARC, specially because of naive liberals abroad still supporting them for some reason.

And the alt righters praising lord saviour para miltary as well

KingKong

Really enjoyed this season. The locations were absolutely stunning and it was so colorful. A lot of great little details like Pablo's sweaters and the driver's haircut.

I'm not sure if they'll be able to keep it up for 2 more seasons though, everything revolved around Pablo and it's a much more exciting story. But maybe they'll change it up

Miletius

Just watched episode 1 of season 2 today (I know, behind the times). Really liking it so far. It's funny because the GF is like, "I know enough Spanish to realize that I would have translated it differently." Where I'm like "I know enough Spanish that I don't read the subtitles." Totally changes the experience, I think, being able to watch it without looking down at the translations.

Gorillaz

Just finished. Pretty good, they did a very good job stretching out a season that really was only his last like 4 months of living. Played a little fast and loose with the facts apparently lol. In terms of the ending
Cali being setup is no surprise, felt that after last season. Im interested more in what they do with Pena and Murphy. Wouldn't mind if they both came back and with the way pena was being briefed made it seem like he will.

Great season, went through them faster then I thought, not as much fuckery as the first but still strong.

Man, Pablo's family pisses me off. How were they all not arrested and put in jail? His wife, and mom, I mean.

It's really messed up that they seem to have moved on and gotten to live out their lives after Pablo fucked over so many people and they benefited from that

Also, how did his son take his father's legacy after he grew up? He eventually found out the extent of his dad's evil obviously

mantidor

Man, Pablo's family pisses me off. How were they all not arrested and put in jail? His wife, and mom, I mean.

It's really messed up that they seem to have moved on and gotten to live out their lives after Pablo fucked over so many people and they benefited from that

Also, how did his son take his father's legacy after he grew up? He eventually found out the extent of his dad's evil obviously

His son was not that young, so in real life is a bit different, he condemns his father but also tries to excuse some things or pretends he didn't do them, most of the events on the show were always denied by Escobar.

I read the daughter was the one who took it much harder, also apparently the son and the mother did go to prison, but she didn't because she was a minor.

There is this article in spanish about some of it: http://www.semana.com/nacion/articulo/aparece-por-primera-vez-la-hija-de-pablo-escobar/438950-3

Dalek

I cheered in Episode 3 when
Colonel Carrillo got the phone call to return!

Edit:
Aaaaaaaaaaaand he's gone nuts.

His son was not that young, so in real life is a bit different, he condemns his father but also tries to excuse some things or pretends he didn't do them, most of the events on the show were always denied by Escobar.

I read the daughter was the one who took it much harder, also apparently the son and the mother did go to prison, but she didn't because she was a minor.

There is this article in spanish about some of it: http://www.semana.com/nacion/articulo/aparece-por-primera-vez-la-hija-de-pablo-escobar/438950-3
Yeah I think I read somewhere that she was a really good singer and participating in a school event? Or something. But then word got out that she was related to Pablo and that just ruined everything and then she got depressed. It must suck for her since she was too young when it all happened.

However screw the wife for being able to live a decent life after supporting that monster.

Edit: it was actually the article linked. Yeah she was in a singing competition but that all got messed up after the news got out that she was an escobar.

I finished watching this last night. I enjoyed it. Moura definitely was outstanding.

Disappointed they took so many liberties with the show. I didn't expect it to be 100% accurate but having peered behind the curtain still a bit disappointing.

I watched Cocaine Cowboys following this for another fix. But the production was so 80s. And it focused more on what was happening in Miami. Which actually wouldn't be a bad backdrop for a show. In Cowboys, they said the Ochoas were the big bad drug dealers whereas Pablo was just the face to the war on drugs.

Moff

finished it and loved it, liked it even better than season 1, easily the best netflix production

I am also glad tha pedro pascal is apparently back in season 3, judging by the end of season 2, which is great, I think he was the best character next to escobar himself. murphy was boring.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
It's ridiculously well made, they even got the license plates right as they were back then. It's probably why Moura's accent sticks out like a sore thumb, because everything else is so authentic.

The first season was better about portraying Escobar, the second so far is feeling way too sympathetic to him for my tastes. If anything as a Colombian that lived through most of it I'm more bothered about the reaction to the series than the series itself, because most are fascinated about him and that always makes my stomach turn.

I missed your post from before. Thanks for your reply. I can agree with what you say. I'll do a marathon next weekend then!

labx

Banned
As a Colombian, how offended will I be if I watch this?

I kind of want to see it, but any series that try to make me sympathetic to the psychopath that constantly bombed my city is a no-no.

Or well, maybe I can take it if it's that good.

I'm from Col, in fact from Medellín and live trough the whole fucking thing in the 80/90s. Just don't do it if you already knows whats really happen here. I'm with mantidor, it make me sick that people look at him like a "Robin Hood" or admire him because he was a genius. He was a mad (and bad) motherfucker and I know it first hand it.

mantidor

I'm from Col, in fact from Medellín and live trough the whole fucking thing in the 80/90s. Just don't do it if you already knows whats really happen here. I'm with mantidor, it make me sick that people look at him like a "Robin Hood" or admire him because he was a genius. He was a mad (and bad) motherfucker and I know it first hand it.

I live in Brazil now, and really the most disheartening part is seeing my Facebook feed full of people who were "rooting" for him, I tried to avoid getting into any controversy, but if the end result is people wanting him to be president the series is a disservice to the many victims. I'm fine with trying to humanize him, in fact I do think is very important to do so, but when those comments is what the audience is taking away from the show something went wrong.

labx

Banned
I live in Brazil now, and really the most disheartening part is seeing my Facebook feed full of people who were "rooting" for him, I tried to avoid getting into any controversy, but if the end result is people wanting him to be president the series is a disservice to the many victims. I'm fine with trying to humanize him, in fact I do think is very important to do so, but when those comments is what the audience is taking away from the show something went wrong.

Pretty much this. People that root for Pablo are dumb AF and don't understand the damage that he made to this country. He flip the shit out this nation and his legacy is still kicking not only by series like Narcos but people who think that being like that is cool. A lot of mafiosos wannabe in Medellín.

I know the show is not following strict history but how evil is the CIA?
I wonder if they went around killing people to make sure the side they want in power wins

Did you spot the windows XP keyboard too?

no glad I missed that

it was a shot of an airplane that messed me up it had these little spoilers on the tips I am not sure how recent those wings were used

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Currently watching the second season. It's a fair improvement over the first season, but whoever is in charge of the sound production needs to be replaced for the next season.

I don't know if this is also an issue for Latinamerican folks, but I cannot understand half of the stuff Pablo's sicarios are saying in the original dub. And it's not because of the accents, mind you. It's like they are mumbling or talking with their mouths stuffed and it all comes down to a very poor sound mix that is obviously not an issue when English speakers are sharing the camera. I've never experienced anything similar with any Colombian, Chilean or Mexican production and as far as I know none of the actors are known for slurring their lines. You can also tell that Wagner made a commendable effort at putting a paisa accent, no matter how vilified it's been.

This was also an issue with S1, so I'm starting to think that some sound engineer/producer said "ok, this sounds good for me" and called it a day, obviously not accounting for Spanish speakers trying to understand what the heck is going on. Both quieter and convoluted scenes are rather difficult to understand because of this. Monologues and normal conversations are usually fine, however.

Netflix Spain decided to dub some Spanish speaking actors, and while the final product is a bit jarring, conversations are a whole lot easier to understand.

mantidor

Most of what you are hearing is a really thick paisa accent and slang, it's difficult to follow but it's very accurate to the real sicario talk of the time.

Edit: this is certainly not how a regular paisa would talk either, it's street slang.

DeviantBoi

I didn't get the feeling that the series was trying to paint him as a hero.

Humanize him a bit? Maybe towards the end, but that was just him coming to grips with what was gonna happen eventually. And I don't think anyone can deny that he loved his wife and children.

Dalek

There's no way that in real life Pena was
playing both sides by feeding information to Don bernal
...right?

mantidor

There's no way that in real life Pena was
playing both sides by feeding information to Don bernal
...right?

It's very likely true but the events are very dramatized
I really doubt Peña met Don Berna face to face, but the DEA definitely filtered information to los Pepes.

Damn you
Limón
, damn you. How could
you just kill Maritza like that
:(

And I agree, Tata's ass needs a Golden Globe nomination.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Most of what you are hearing is a really thick paisa accent and slang, it's difficult to follow but it's very accurate to the real sicario talk of the time.

Edit: this is certainly not how a regular paisa would talk either, it's street slang.

Count me as surprised. I had a friend in high school from Medellín and nobody from her family talked like that. I'm guessing that slurring and mumbling in "street paisa" is much more common.

After finishing the series I read back a bit into Killing Pablo and it was interesting just how true to life things were on one side but still some stuff was added that seemed to be there just to confirm to Hollywood rules.

There were no Search Bloc members killed in the final confrontation, Limon and Pablo just ran for it and got gunned down my mass fire from the soldiers. In fact the shooting continued for a few minutes after they both were down until the commanders ordered their men to cease firing.

One really cool part was how the Colonel's son ran the radio detection unit and had no success at all in the beginning in finding Escobar. Medellin was a huge maze of buildings and power lines which messed up all the signals. If he had not been the son of the boss they would certainly have stopped the whole radio triangulation effort after Search Bloc raided a seminary where Pablo 100% sure was hiding. But for once nepotism saved the day.

And FUCK YOU LIMON for killing Maritza even though she was suddenly written like a complete idiot in threatening to go to the cops. I hope Martina Garcia gets a massive boost in her career, she's got such a striking and intense look.

Curufinwe

After finishing the series I read back a bit into Killing Pablo and it was interesting just how true to life things were on one side but still some stuff was added that seemed to be there just to confirm to Hollywood rules.

There were no Search Bloc members killed in the final confrontation, Limon and Pablo just ran for it and got gunned down my mass fire from the soldiers. In fact the shooting continued for a few minutes after they both were down until the commanders ordered their men to cease firing.

One really cool part was how the Colonel's son ran the radio detection unit and had no success at all in the beginning in finding Escobar. Medellin was a huge maze of buildings and power lines which messed up all the signals. If he had not been the son of the boss they would certainly have stopped the whole radio triangulation effort after Search Bloc raided a seminary where Pablo 100% sure was hiding. But for once nepotism saved the day.

And FUCK YOU LIMON for killing Maritza even though she was suddenly written like a complete idiot in threatening to go to the cops. I hope Martina Garcia gets a massive boost in her career, she's got such a striking and intense look.

I think Pablo
killed three policeman in the fictionalized final confrontation. I don't think that's a great change because it made the cops looked kinda stupid - they basically just ran into the bullets.

Just finished this last night. Phenomenal. The best series that Netflix has blessed us with. I'm looking forward to season three, but am not sure how well it will do without Wagner - it has a lot to look up to.

I was surprised by the death of
Lion
; I guess I should have expected it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom