• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Narcos |OT| There's no business like blow business - Netflix - *spoilers for S1*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think the show doesnt go into that "the bad guy is the coolest!" thing that breaking bad could steer into sometimes

but I guess some people can fall into that too? show really doesnt encourage anyone to root for Pablo.. you'd have to be a bit fucked up. but peeps are weird. show does a pretty good job at showing murphy and peña like the (somewhat corrupt) badasses they were
Actually funny enough colombia had a show called "el cartel de los sapos" That focused on the cali cartel. It made all of them more likable than they had any right to be. And it had 100% had to do with them being the main characters so they had to make them at least somewhat likable so the audience would root for them.

But it also proves that there is enough interesting aspects to make a show based off them if necessary I guess

Edit: completely forgot I saw the show suggested in the "you may like" when the show was over.

dyergram

Watched the first episode thought it was ok does anybody know if cockroach was a real person and what his name is I want to read about him.

Z..

Just saw the first ep. Padilha does not disappoint.

Only thing I dislike is the spanish... why not hire native speakers? It's so obvious and horrible. Sorry, Wagner, you're awesome and I've loved you since Carandiru, but that just won't cut it. =(

that tends to be a misconception

learning spanish for someone who speaks portuguese is really hard, and much, much harder than the other way around

That depends. If the person learning spanish is brazilian, you are correct. If that person is Portuguese, you are very wrong.
European Portuguese and Brazilian portuguese, though similar in nature, are two completely different beasts.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I finished it in one long sitting, and loved it. I don't know much about the Escobar story, but there were times where I was thinking that they exaggerated stuff for effect, only to have the scene followed by real news footage, like the bomb on the plane. That happened multiple times and it hit hard. This was one demented psycho.

I do wonder though how much they're gonna stretch things for s2, because it's already 92 in the series and there doesn't seem to be too much left til his demise a year later.

I was also a bit disappointed that the first half moved a bit too fast, like his rise to power.

I finished it in one long sitting, and loved it. I don't know much about the Escobar story, but there were times where I was thinking that they exaggerated stuff for effect, only to have the scene followed by real news footage, like the bomb on the plane. That happened multiple times and it hit hard. This was one demented psycho.

I do wonder though how much they're gonna stretch things for s2, because it's already 92 in the series and there doesn't seem to be too much left til his demise a year later.

I was also a bit disappointed that the first half moved a bit too fast, like his rise to power.

I wouldn't be surprised if Escobar dies early to mid season, and everything else is setting up what happens to the Cali cartel.

Tugatrix

His rise to power was unrivaled so I guess wasn't much story to squeeze out.

Dalek

Just got to the episode with the prison. Fucking unreal. I think I'd like to spend time there-seemed very relaxing.

Also are there still caches of cash buried throughout Colombia?

Ayumi

After the prison breakout. How much longer does Pablo live for?
You can probably find an answer on Google on what happens or doesn't happen to Pablo, but please do not post it here. I have avoided reading about him and watching other documentaries because I don't want to know outside of Narcos. I wanna learn through Narcos.

Not really, people keep finding them all the time. Although if you find one now it probably belongs to FARC and not the Medellin cartel.

For people curious, there is this colombian movie "soñar no cuesta nada" which is about soldiers finding one of these.

Time to start buying land in Colombia.

I wonder how many seasons we get. Stretching 18 months into 2 seasons seems to be bad if you consider that Season 1 plays from 1975-1991.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I forgot to mention my one real complaint: the actress playing Connie... I thought her performance was pretty bad, and she dragged down the scenes she was in. Luckily she has a pretty small part.

Started watching it last week. On episode 9. Pablo's accent gets better over the show but it still slips. Overall it's really a engaging show.

New002

he's brazilian. I actually very briefly met the dude once at a festival. he did not speak spanish at all then so im guessing he learned for this

it shows

he's great otherwise tho

It's a small thing but this was killing me the entire time I watched the show. I was familiar with the actor from Tropa de Elite so I knew Spanish wasn't his first language going in, but I couldn't help but be distracted by it.

Aside from that I loved the showed and am really looking forward to season 2.

Not sure if there was any doubt at this point, but the show creator was just on NPR and pretty explicitly spoke about how the next season will be transitioning over to the Cali cartel and the theme of this never ending narco war.

Saw the whole thing very quickly I thought it was absolutely fantastic. The whole vibe of "realismo magico" is in full effect. I actually could not believe some of these things happened in real life, and the fact that real footage is edited in with the rest makes me feel ashamed to be uneducated on what happened.

My favorite thing about this show is that it felt better than a film in some regards - real world locations that are unlike my home...it sort of transports you to a time and place unlike your own (unless you really did live there!)

They kind of tone down the narration and "stranger than fiction" telling by the end (as there's not AS much insanity) but still incredible.

Business

Just started this and I'll echo what others are saying here. Moura's accent is just not fitting. It may sound overly picky to non spanish speakers but it's really annoying and almost a deal breaker.

hydruxo

Man I really enjoyed this show. It was intense and engaging all the way through and they were constantly introducing new interesting characters all season long. Wagner Moura was fantastic. Can't wait for S2.

I don't like the narration of the show but everything else is fucking excellent excellent work.
Some exquisite photography as well.
Edit: I just looked up the photo of the Search Bloc posing over Escobars dead body,all smiling.
Some barbaric behaviour all around in Colombia, damn.

oti

Banned
Yooo just finished it can't wait for S2.
Gotta grab some Escobar documentaries and books for now. Fascinating character.

Deku Tree

Got three episodes left in s1. Seems like they are going to cover most or all of Escobar's life in s1. Don't see what will be left for a s2.

Also did none of the Medellin Cartel ever use their product? I was wondering about that. The show never seemed to show them using but neither does it ever discuss the topic of whether or not any of them became users.

Tugatrix

Got three episodes left in s1. Seems like they are going to cover most or all of Escobar's life in s1. Don't see what will be left for a s2.

Also did none of the Medellin Cartel ever use their product? I was wondering about that. The show never seemed to show them using but neither does it ever discuss the topic of whether or not any of them became users.

you'll start to see soon

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Just finished watching this show myself !!! What an excellent show. Sorry for the bump but I gotta ask. In the show, it depicts that Avianca 203 was blown up because the presidential candidate was going to be on that airplane. However, he did not in the end due to security concern. I tried looking up the Avianca 203 wiki page but it didn't mention anything about the reason why it was blown up. If it is indeed to assassinate a particular presidential candidate, why didn't the law enforcement stop the entire plane from taking off and preventing the tragedy from happening in the first place ? I feel like law enforcement should have stopped the plane from taking off in the first place if they had any information on it being a potential target of a bombing... enough that they felt the need to not let the presidential candidate get on.

mantidor

The security concern was vague, and they probably expected the whole thing to be called off by Escobar once Gaviria was out of the plane, what they didn't know was that the perpetrator was also unaware of what he was about to do.

Walpurgis

Banned
Sorry for the bump. Nothing on season two from me.

This show is seriously good, like surprisingly so for me. I read some complaints a while ago that it was documentary like but it really doesn't feel like it to me or as I understood the complaint. It's incredibly watchable and very exciting TV.

It's also very informative. I had no idea about any of this stuff. Never even heard of Pablo Escobar. How a 28 year old guy was able to put this all together to make $60 million a day makes Heisenberg look like a preschooler. Speaking of which, I love the narration. It just adds a lot to the show and vocalises the absurdities that we're seeing.

The acting is also awesome, especially Escobar. I've heard that he's Portuguese and has a stupid accent but my ears can't tell. His voice, his mannerisms, his charisma, the guy is perfect so I can understand why the creators looked past the accent.

My favourite part about this show is that it's all real. The way the Americans reacted not to the drug violence but to the drug money, the way the cold war played into things and the Nicaraguan Sandinistas (hey! I know these guys from Peace Walker :p). I love the use of real footage to remind us that this "magical" reality is our reality.

I'm only one episode 5 now so I have a lot left but I am loving this show. I love the look into South American history, I love the main theme, I love that most of the show is subtitled and I love this story of crime.

Question: No spoilers if you quote me, please. Is there enough material for a season 2? And what other histories would be a good fit for a Narcos type show?

mantidor

Question: No spoilers if you quote me, please. Is there enough material for a season 2? And what other histories would be a good fit for a Narcos type show?

I'm curious about this because from a history standpoint there actually isn't much, unless they stretch out things a lot or start cover things outside the Medellin cartel.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
In regards to season 2, they have little material left for Pablo. But I think they will focus on the Cali Cartel after they finished Pablo's story in S2. Reason they introduced the Cali Cartel in S1.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
watching episode 4. Team Padilha-Moura is aces as usual, such quality

also, Minister of Justice Padilla has balls of steel, goddamn. I fear for the bloke..

It's a very easy and simple watch.

It has a hollywood sheen and cleanliness that isn't right at all. I enjoyed it well enough, but it's certainly not of premium cable high quality. More like a decent cable show that thinks it is much better than it is.

Skinpop

It's a very easy and simple watch.

It has a hollywood sheen and cleanliness that isn't right at all. I enjoyed it well enough, but it's certainly not of premium cable high quality. More like a decent cable show that thinks it is much better than it is.

I agree narcos was pretty mediocre. but there isn't much like this show on tv these days so it's enough to keep me interested.

jett

D-Member
What is season 2 possibly going to be about? is it possible to stretch another season or two out of this?

I think one full more season of Escobar is a stretch already. For further seasons they'll have to find another target for sure. The show is just called "Narcos" after all, not "Escobar."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom