• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of Cards S5 |OT| What’s said in the family, stays in the family - Netflix 5/30

Bernbaum

I thought I wasn't gonna like it, given my disinterest in season 4 and Trump's absurd circus of bullshit, but this starts out really strong.

Feels so good to actually be able to watch along with everyone else since i only started watching the show last year.

Looking forward to starting this at some point this week, still need to catch up on Better Call Saul and American Gods.

Just watched the first episode this morning. I completely forgot the last season, but this one hits the ground running. I'll have to recap myself, but it's looking real good.

breakfuss

Started watching the first episode and made it about a 1/3 through. Idk if it's our current political climate but i just wasn't in the mood for this shit. The show used to be all fantastical and far-fetched but it sadly seems tame in comparison to reality. I know I'm exaggerating a bit but still. Guess I'll try later this weekend.

just made it past the cold opening and I'm already pissed off at Frank.

If he starts talking to me throughout this episode I'm probably just going to be thinking "fuck you, Mr. president"

HigXx

Episode 6:
Sorry but I seemed to have missed it but why did Frank step down and Claire take his place?

BahamutPT

Episode 6:
Sorry but I seemed to have missed it but why did Frank step down and Claire take his place?

It wasn't really stepping down as much as transfer of power following an election.
The Executive now had a legitimately elected Vice President (Claire was elected VP at the end of ep 5).
Then, in the absence of a legitimately elected President, Claire became Acting President

HigXx

Episode 11
Got chills when Claire finally spoke to us. I do like how they kept faking it out throughout the Season

Can we talk about Tom's actor? I think he was completely miscast. This role was clearly written with someone much younger, vibrant, and more intense. Whenever I watch a Tom scene I reimagine it with Jake Gyllenhaal and the scene becomes much, much more enjoyable.

Tom is supposed to be a young, passionate man who's becoming obsessed with the Underwoods - so obsessed that he starts acting in deranged ways. But the actor has no emotional range. Everything sounds flat. His beard makes him look the same age as Claire. In fact I think Tom is supposed to be a foil to Frank. If it were someone like Jake Gyllenhaal (young, handsome; this actor isn't... really that handsome at all) this would be extremely clear. Instead I had to figure it out by thinking about the script. Furthermore there are scenes where Claire is clearly meant to adore Tom's perspective as being distinct from Frank's, which is why she keeps asking him what he thinks about things. Such a role needs an actor with eyes that gleam. Tom's are dead.

I really, really hate the casting.

on episode 4. if Frank or his minions somehow find a way to
loophole into winning
, I won't stop watching, but I will be very unhappy.

Curufinwe

In episode 1 at 15:00 are there supposed to be visible red and green dots over the picture like it's being viewed thru another lens?

Yeah, it's there on my phone, too. No worries then.

hydruxo

Can we talk about Tom's actor? I think he was completely miscast. This role was clearly written with someone much younger, vibrant, and more intense. Whenever I watch a Tom scene I reimagine it with Jake Gyllenhaal and the scene becomes much, much more enjoyable.

Tom is supposed to be a young, passionate man who's becoming obsessed with the Underwoods - so obsessed that he starts acting in deranged ways. But the actor has no emotional range. Everything sounds flat. His beard makes him look the same age as Claire. In fact I think Tom is supposed to be a foil to Frank. If it were someone like Jake Gyllenhaal (young, handsome; this actor isn't... really that handsome at all) this would be extremely clear. Instead I had to figure it out by thinking about the script. Furthermore there are scenes where Claire is clearly meant to adore Tom's perspective as being distinct from Frank's, which is why she keeps asking him what he thinks about things. Such a role needs an actor with eyes that gleam. Tom's are dead.

I agree completely. I actually liked him when he was first introduced, but I feel like he's become almost shoehorned in now. I'm tired of seeing him.

if it was Jake G in the role then yeah the character would have been more entertaining to watch. I agree with your post overall, but the story is compelling enough that the casting isn't really what annoys me about the show.

throughout the series when I was watching the character, I was very conflicted on how to feel about the character - both the portrayal and persona and I think ultimately I'm not a fan of either

nampad

Episode 5:
Ugh the season is quite mediocre so far. The whole election stuff is still going on the the side plots are getting messy and unfocused.

still on episode 4, why is everyone hating doug? not that he doesn't deserve to be hated, but he's just as fucking evil as all the rest of the Underwood camp.

Top Bottom