• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of Cards S3 |OT| Available now on Netflix! - *Spoilers for all of S3*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verger

Banned
Well, this was really a divisive season. I definitely agree that it seemed to lack a lot of focus.

Spacey is most amusing and entertaining when he feels like a man with a plan. But this Season, despite gaining the Presidency, he starts off on the defensive, and pretty much stays that way throughout the entire Season. I don't mind that he wasn't doing the same thing he's been doing before, but I think they didn't really give Frank any real time to shine. Even the threats he made to his opponents like Dunbar I thought felt more empty than before despite his power.

Of course I enjoyed the interactions with Petrov the most. He was the next best "enemy" for Frank after having beaten his congressional opponents like Birch and Businessman like Tusk. Another head of state to whom nothing is objectionable or impossible. I hope they bring him back for more as he's the perfect foil for Underwood given that he is pretty much exactly like him.

Doug's story was, well, I still don't know what to make of it. I like Stamper but I feel the show's writing has done him a lot of disservice despite being given a lot of air time. I suppose you could look at his escapades this Season as all trying to recover from how he was in Season 2. I did enjoy watching his travails in rehabilitation and recovering and I definitely felt more for him than I did last Season where his obsession with Rachel was just numbingly boring. They did do a good job admittedly faking out the viewer thinking he had "changed" in some manner. But in the end, I wonder if it was all just a waste of time, given that he's pretty much ended up back where he began. And in a way I feel cheated that it's taken two whole Seasons to get our old Doug back.

That said, is Rachel really dead? We didn't see the hit and I can't imagine they would have shied away from that on purpose given how graphic they were with Zoe's death. It could be another fakeout since I was sure Doug was dead at the end of Season 2 with his open eyes and pale looking skin. I guess we'll have to see if anything more happens here.

Claire's story was the most disappointing and frustrating this Season. I honestly couldn't get a good read on what she was doing most of the time as she acted impulsive and unfocused most of the Season. I know they tried to explain it all away with the final episode and how she was acting all this way because of both being suffocated by lies and also always being in Frank's shadow no matter what and would never be the one "making the calls". Some of her behavior though was just so contradictory. At one point she chided Frank for getting too "sentimental" when he was feeling pity for that guy who got his legs blown off with his whole family, yet the next episode she herself got sentimental for the gay guy who suicided in Russia and single handedly torpedo'd all of Frank's hard work with Petrov.

One thing that I liked about Claire's character was that she was supposed to be as Ruthless as Frank, perhaps even more so in some way. And that she wouldn't be the typical "wife" character of the one who objects to the husbands goals and motives (ie. not a Skylar). But this Season she started to drift in that direction and that just didn't sit well with me. Again, I get they tried to explain it by her not having the power she wanted, but even so it doesn't explain her oddball actions the remainder of the Season. I think the writers really need to get better focus on these characters and get them not going OOC.

The whole thing with Thomas and the book was somewhat interesting. I guess it was supposed to be part of the catalyst that began what happened at the end of the Season. I wonder if it'll ever go anywhere else, or if he and it will disappear like other plot lines now that it's usefulness in that regard is done.

But yeah, I definitely agree with a lot of the criticism of this Season. It just lacked something. I think it was cohesion. Well, at the very least next Season should be interesting. Middle of the primary and Claire supposedly leaves. Doug back to work doing what he does best. Remy gone and Seth either sidelined or diminished (one thing that was abundantly clear this season was that those two could barely fill Doug's shoes at all). Still no VP candidate and Supreme Court justice replacement.

duckroll

Let's talk about what really matters; the heart and soul of House of Cards - embarrassing artificial gaming plugs. Which was the most out of place scene?!

Season 1 - "Is that a PS Vita?"

Season 2 - God of War Ascension CONNECTION NOT FOUND

Season 3 - "Do either of you play Monument Valley?"

:)

Deku Tree

That said, is Rachel really dead? We didn't see the hit and I can't imagine they would have shied away from that on purpose given how graphic they were with Zoe's death. It could be another fakeout since I was sure Doug was dead at the end of Season 2 with his open eyes and pale looking skin. I guess we'll have to see if anything more happens here.

Rachel is dead. They showed her Dead half head laying underneath a lot of dirt for a split second as Doug was burying her.

JesseZao

Let's talk about what really matters; the heart and soul of House of Cards - embarrassing artificial gaming plugs. Which was the most out of place scene?!

Monument Valley is such a short experience that it's an absurd question to phrase in the present tense. The only way it would make sense would be to ask, "Have you played it?".

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Hire someone to write a book about your life and the presidency based on a video game review, brehs

"Is that a Pee Ess Vita" was by far the funniest one. Almost every gaming plug in the series is completely unnatural. I sort of appreciate them as comic relief.

What's Season 4's gaming plug going to be?

JesseZao

"Is that a Pee Ess Vita" was by far the funniest one. Almost every gaming plug in the series is completely unnatural. I sort of appreciate them as comic relief.

What's Season 4's gaming plug going to be?

Is that a Playstation Plus Sony Entertainment Network Card, which is redeemable for access to free monthly games and the very best in engaging online content?

Brakke

Banned
lol the game stuff was so frustrating. It was a cool concept to have Frank be secretly into games. Just a little mundane thing, grounds him a little bit from being a total cartoon monster. Then they flub the execution so often.

Still miffed they didn't have him play the Call of Duty with Kevin Spacey in it this season.

SentryDown

Just finished it and I'm not sure how I should feel about it. I knew that the pacing was going to be pretty different since Franck couldn't really go higher but this seasons felt pretty much empty. I hate it when shows don't have a main storyline and I haven't see any in this season, same in OITNB by the way, must be a common Netflix issue.

Some would argue the main plot is centered the Iowa election thing but it's so bad and end so simply... Overall, the multiple subplots are treated in a really different way than they were before. In the first two seasons, every impacting vote/decision/event was impacting, it was a bit too much sometimes but it was well built and the ending/epilogue of each storyline wasn't rushed.

On the other hand, some characters are far more developed especially Doug & Claire, they obviously want to focus on less characters in the future and remove unecessary subplots.

Overall, it was still great to watch due to the actor and this very particular ambiance but it really lacks of balancing between plot and characters development. This season is difficult to judge by itself, I could have stopped by the end of S2 but now I really want to see the season 4 to see how this is going to end. Maybe they just extended 3 episodes into a full season or maybe this long build-up was necesserary, who knows.

By the end of this series, Frank will either be dead, in chains, or on top of a massive pile of corpses as the world burns around him.

And no matter what, he will have one last quote and a smile.

DOWN

Banned
Finished last night. We know the series isn't shy about the ugly choices, but we all think Frank and Claire are inevitable, right? I want them to keep their twisted thrones side by side until their very end. Wake me up in a year, thanks.

Penguin

"I sold my Xbox on eBay it was too addictive"

BkMogul

I only knew Elizabeth Marvel as the occasional prosecutor on SVU, but she was damn good in this role. Glad she's getting some exposure with this show.

Afrodium

Banned
Just finished last night and came away pretty disappointed. There's just nothing that interesting about seeing Frank Underwood simply maintain his current position. At the end of S2 I assumed S3 would be the third for this very reason. Once Frank has reached his ceiling, the only logical place to go is down. Instead they just had him trying to stay afloat as President without any real overarching goals or machinations. Early on in the season when Frank was forced to concede to not running for reelection, I thought they might surprise me. I was interested in seeing what great plan Frank was forming, but instead he just runs anyway with barely any backlash and his ultimate achievement is winning the Iowa caucus. Woo-hoo. At the beginning of the season he was a sitting president hoping to get re-elected, and at the end of the season he's a sitting president hoping to get re-elected.

There's the Claire drama too, which I guess the writers felt was strong enough to end the season on, but season one established that Claire and Frank periodically go through these cycles. Her plot in S1 was heavily focused on her leaving Frank. I'm assuming that this time it's for real, but we'll see.

And of course, there's the terrible sub-plots. Thank god Rachel is finally dead. She's bogged down two seasons with terrible plots about Doug being obsessed with her. I hope Gavin is out of the picture too, but I'm sure he's not. The episode where he decided that befriending Rachel's old lover and then convincing her was HIV+ would be the best way to found out where Rachel is was asinine. Of course, this season also had Frank read a short review of Monument Valley, from a writer who is recognized by everyone yet writes mobile game reviews, and decide that he needed to have that man write a propaganda book about America Works, so I guess any other dumb plots shouldn't have surprised me.

I feel like something weird happened during the filming of this season. Did it get renewed while they were writing it or something? So many plots were brought up, resolved, then reopened and resolved again. Rachel was dead, then she wasn't, then she was. Claire was unhappy with her marriage, then she wasn't, then she was. Frank was going to run for re-election, then he wasn't, then he was. It really felt like a stop-gap season. I hope it doesn't get renewed for a fifth season because they clearly have an endgame in place and keep postponing it, especially since S2 ended with all the seeds of Frank's downfall and never delivered on them. Stamper was dead in the woods and a key witness in Russo's murder had escaped and Ayla was onto Frank. This season, Doug is okay and Rachel is no threat and Ayla asked a tough question and was never heard from again. I'm rambling now, and I think I've said everything. In conclusion, this show needs to wrap up because the concept can only last so long.

This season was the weakest for me, and not just because Frank didn't "win."

Doug was on a treadmill the entire season, and he's pretty much exactly where we left him just before the end of S2.

Seth is barely a character, just a plot advancement device.

They couldn't find anything interesting to do with Claire after the Petrov storyline (where she had the grossly out of character moment of "doing the right thing" which almost tanked international relations), so suddenly she's having fainting spells and isn't interested in power. Humanizing her now after all they've done together is a disservice to her strength.

I honestly don't know what Jackie is doing, and I don't really give a shit about Remy anymore, he's been completely selfish the entire series.

And Frank is slipping dangerously close to cartoonish villainy. They really just handwaved the early season drama about the entire democratic party turning on him, without even bothering to write him a convincing policy victory (not even America Works) to justify it. I have a pretty good idea of where the show is headed, with Frank's life imploding Breaking Bad style, but I honestly expected it to be a bit more subtle than the way it was handled here.

this_guy

I liked season 1, but it's been all downhill from there. Doug Stamper is also just a creepy and boring character. The chief of staff disappearing for a few days to go to Venezuela and then where ever else he went after finding Rachel's location was a needless subplot.

Foggy

I'm surprised the season is as divisive as it is, I thought it was a good deal of fun and offered far more insight into the characters than past seasons.

Exile20

Finished watching it this weekend.

Extremely weak for me. I was never looking forward to the next episode to see what will happen.

My wife and I binge watched season 1 and 2 but I only ended up finishing season 3. She stopped watching after episode 4 or so.

Jinaar

Just finished it last night myself. The Underwood's were really poor this season.

Frank's arc with any character was: Frank works with person, Frank treats person like crap, person has doubts or issues, Frank berates person and they turn on him. It got repetitive and dumb. Agreed with the other poster above, it got to cartoony villian like levels. Is it really hubris at this point?

Also, Frank's banter with anyone in politics when he is trying to talk "nice". Every time he spoke, it never came out genuine, at all. You could taste the shit he was spewing forth in the air he talked into. Walk someone like that into my office and I wouldn't trust him to hold my pen. I'll blame either Spacey on this one acting wise or maybe the directors who wanted to portray Frank this way.

Claire was again all over the place. Gets what she wants and then in the end isn't happy with it and makes up silly excuses for her behavior. Terrible direction with her character. Feels like the writers saw her characters end point for the season but couldn't formulate a proper approach to that end.

Putin was great. I'll say that much. Dunbar's character is refreshing. I feel she may still get destroyed in the end. Good people usually do.

Doug played out pretty much to point. I always knew he would Frank's number 1.

Anyways, not bad / not great.

Finished watching it this weekend.

Extremely weak for me. I was never looking forward to the next episode to see what will happen.

My wife and I binge watched season 1 and 2 but I only ended up finishing season 3. She stopped watching after episode 4 or so.
I had to watch the last episode after the penultimate ended with "We have to stop lying. To each other"...

...and then they start the episode, and Claire is all "You know what? Never mind."

WHAT THE FUCK

Just finished it last night myself. The Underwood's were really poor this season.

Frank's arc with any character was: Frank works with person, Frank treats person like crap, person has doubts or issues, Frank berates person and they turn on him. It got repetitive and dumb. Agreed with the other poster above, it got to cartoony villian like levels. Is it really hubris at this point?

Also, Frank's banter with anyone in politics when he is trying to talk "nice". Every time he spoke, it never came out genuine, at all. You could taste the shit he was spewing forth in the air he talked into. Walk someone like that into my office and I wouldn't trust him to hold my pen. I'll blame either Spacey on this one acting wise or maybe the directors who wanted to portray Frank this way.

Claire was again all over the place. Gets what she wants and then in the end isn't happy with it and makes up silly excuses for her behavior. Terrible direction with her character. Feels like the writers saw her characters end point for the season but couldn't formulate a proper approach to that end.

Putin was great. I'll say that much. Dunbar's character is refreshing. I feel she may still get destroyed in the end. Good people usually do.

Doug played out pretty much to point. I always knew he would Frank's number 1.

Anyways, not bad / not great.

My thoughts exactly. Claire was pretty weak this season, wanted everything but did a terrible job/fucked it up in the end so Frank had no choice but to get rid of whatever she was doing. She actually started to annoy me minus some decent conversations she had with Frank.

I missed Frank breaking the 4th wall and talking to the audience, I mean it was there but it was way muted this time around. Surprisingly Putin and Stamper were good, I thought they would be annoying but turned out better than expected.

Overall, I'll still watch the series if they decide to continue it but I'm not that excited about it. Season 1 was the best, then it's a toss up between Season 2 and 3.

Jinaar

I have one prediction though for Season 4: Claire Underwood for
President
!

She wants it bad, Franky!

EDIT: I was reading the previous pages back and people are confused if Rachel really died or not.

Well.... she dead.

Frank when arguing with Claire said "Doug is out there getting things done right now!"
When Doug came back to the office, Frank and him discussed "is it done?", and Doug nods yes.
Both things setup that Doug informed Frank that Rachel was still out there and he was going to fix the problem once and for all.
That was why when Doug pulled to the side of the road, he realized he couldn't allow something to exist, like the journal, again. He had to do what he was set out to do.

I binged watched Season 2 this week-end, to catch up to Season 3

I find Season 1 to be better than Season 2, although S2 had its good moments.
I disliked the character of Raymond Tusk, which pretty much through me off every time Tusk was on screen.

Starting Season 3, can't wait

DOWN

Banned
I don't understand how you could not tell if Rachel was dead. You can see her head as he is burying her.

Brakke

Banned
Well Doug was dead at end of season 2 so go figure people are kind of confused about Rachel's status :p She dead for sure though.

JesseZao

I have one prediction though for Season 4: Claire Underwood for
President
!

She wants it bad, Franky!

EDIT: I was reading the previous pages back and people are confused if Rachel really died or not.

Well.... she dead.

Frank when arguing with Claire said "Doug is out there getting things done right now!"
When Doug came back to the office, Frank and him discussed "is it done?", and Doug nods yes.
Both things setup that Doug informed Frank that Rachel was still out there and he was going to fix the problem once and for all.
That was why when Doug pulled to the side of the road, he realized he couldn't allow something to exist, like the journal, again. He had to do what he was set out to do.

They kept teasing in that direction, so I wasn't going to be surprised.

I have to think that's going to be the way they bring Claire back. Frank either runs against her or he gives her his spot on the ticket and moves down to VP.

OnPoint

I'm almost entirely uninterested in a Season 4 at this point, now that I've finished Season 3. I'm going to spoiler stuff even though we don't technically have to. But I'll explain why below.

The first two seasons of the show do a good job establishing that Frank and Claire work in concert to achieve their goals, and that they'll do what they must to get the job done.

To start with the "getting the job done" point... Killing people? Ruining careers? They befriended and betrayed a fucking President. Whatever. But in Season 3 they've both gone soft. Yeah yeah, Frank raided the FEMA funds, but overall the two of them were so spineless compared to the first two seasons it was sickening. I expected some deft maneuvering and all we got was them being outsmarted by people over and over. All of the sudden killing soldiers is too much for Frank? Claire is scared to take evasive and potentially venomous maneuvers in the UN? Please. They've been transformed too much into "good guys".

Then we move on to the working in concert thing. Claire has been rolling over for Frank for almost the whole series. At least almost all of Season 2 and on. They worked to put him in the White House and she almost always gives him what he wants, and then she's surprised when he has power and wants to wield it with little question? She stopped sticking up for herself forever ago. Honestly, she's been written in a way that isn't what I would have expected from her for a while now. She's calculating and smart, forward-thinking and devious. But somehow she's being painted as this helpless victim in Season 3. It was really underwhelming to see that they were just working up to her leaving Francis and possibly running against him in Season 4 when I felt like it was mostly her fault he was acting the way he was. Stuff like

"Oh Francis we need to talk."
"Ok, what about?"
"We keep lying to each other. I can't take this"
"Well what do you mean? Let's talk about this Claire"
"Oh, nevermind, forget I said anything"

What the fuck? Like, keep internalizing it and avoid the issue? That's not the Claire we were given in Season 1. That's not what I would have thought she would have done. Honestly, if they wanted to really drive it in, they should have had her pull the pin on some crazy master plan that she was putting together behind Francis' back with that sly, evil smile on her face. Instead she does the typical running out on the man thing. Lame.

And then there's Stamper. He was better off, from a story perspective, dead. Instead he did nothing all season but rehab, get drunk, fuck the rehab lady, then go kill the thing he obsessed about all season, only to become Chief of Staff while he was flirting heavily with betrayal? If they don't tie the work he did with Dunbar into her downfall then I'm disappointed. He was supposed to be as calculating as the Underwoods, only willing and able to be dirtier. Give us something here.

Overall, I don't like that they basically turned the main characters into the good guys, effectively removing their fangs when they have the ability to be the most fun to watch. I don't need them to go all Walter White on it -- they were already there. They've been neutered and it's disappointing to see the lack of ruthlessness when the path to the top has been littered with the corpses of their enemies.

Oddduck

It feels like most of the characters from season 1 have either been thrown in jail, killed off, or they stopped chasing Frank.

Zoe is dead.
Rachel is dead
Lucas (journalist) is in prison.
Janine (journalist) is a coward (and became a teacher I think?)
Peter Russo is dead.

Is there anyone left from Season 1 who could expose Frank as a criminal/murderer?

R-User!

I had to watch the last episode after the penultimate ended with "We have to stop lying. To each other"...

...and then they start the episode, and Claire is all "You know what? Never mind."

WHAT THE FUCK

I was gonna respond to your post, but you know what?........

I
I
I
I
I

....never mind.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Just finished catchig up.

I liked season 3. The russian president, writer, and solictor opponent made for a fun mix of antangonists. Each in their own way. I also liked how it focused more on Claire and Frank's relationship.

Doug is in pure No Country For Old Men mode now. Excited to see Frank's mind set in s4.

Compsiox

Banned
EvilLore is in House of Cards? How come no one told me?

fMza0G6.jpg

Not

Banned
Thank you, House of Cards, for my latest waking nightmare

That stupid ending. Has there been anything more disturbing? Especially after they go out of their way the whole season to humanize Doug. Once a psycho, always a psycho is what they're trying to say? No one likes a redemptive arc, right?

DAMMIT

Tugatrix

It feels like most of the characters from season 1 have either been thrown in jail, killed off, or they stopped chasing Frank.

Zoe is dead.
Rachel is dead
Lucas (journalist) is in prison.
Janine (journalist) is a coward (and became a teacher I think?)
Peter Russo is dead.

Is there anyone left from Season 1 who could expose Frank as a criminal/murderer?

Doug

I finished Season 3 last week. I think I enjoyed Season 3 more than Season 2. Season 2 was just full of bad writing (his scheme to become President was just ridiculously stupid). It seems like in Season 3 they went a little more realistic and they stayed away from Frank as a cartoon villain (in Season 2 he should had a mustache he could twirl he was so cartoonish). Still Season 3 had the weakest arc, and felt like it really nowhere in the end.

Maybe in the end while I like House of Cards, I just think it is not that great overall. While the acting is great in most cases, and some of the plots are interesting, the writing is just not up to snuff with what I consider the top television shows on the last 15 years (I doubt it would make my top 10 list even this year). One thing I will say about this show I still find myself rooting for Frank this season.

Thank you, House of Cards, for my latest waking nightmare

That stupid ending. Has there been anything more disturbing? Especially after they go out of their way the whole season to humanize Doug. Once a psycho, always a psycho is what they're trying to say? No one likes a redemptive arc, right?

DAMMIT

Doug was always psycho. I can't believe he wasn't questioned by a store clerk for buying serial killer items.

The creepy van was over the top as well.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Finished it.

Doug's entire arc was so dumb and out of place. I don't understand why they would even include this stuff. Focus on DC.

Claire's stint with the UN was just nonsensical and implausible on so many levels. I get why it was needed in the overall scheme of things, but it could have been toned down and shortened by quite a bit.

Liked Frank not always winning (yet). That was my biggest problem with seasons 1 and 2 - invincible Frank.

I give the season a 7 overall. Would watch again.

That got a laugh out of me. At least buy some microwave burritos and a DVD to throw off suspicion

Exactly what I thought! Buy a lot stuff, not just, LITERALLY, ONLY SERIAL KILLER ITEMS.

Cse

Banned
Rewatching a few of the episodes now.

I'm not very well versed in geopolitics, so I'm a bit confused about Frank's executive order to send troops to the Jordan Valley. If they could have done this all along, why did they invest so much time in attempting to pass that peacekeeping resolution through the United Nations?

antibolo

Banned
Overall I hated Doug's arc for this season, but enjoyed the rest.

I was so disappointed to learn that Doug somehow survived. Like, what the hell? It was pretty clear to me that he was dead. But nope, he survives, and then just drags down the entire season with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom