• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of Cards S3 |OT| Available now on Netflix! - *Spoilers for all of S3*

Status
Not open for further replies.
almost finished Season 3 and I got to say that it really has slowed down allot compared to previous seasons.

And I can't stand the characters of Tom Yates and Kate Baldwin, both of them are boring and vanilla and such a downgrade to previous 2ndary characters

Toothless

Just finished the season. I have some mixed thoughts about it. There was more good “drama” than usual, but ultimately, all the developments with Claire didn’t really take hold until the last episode. I enjoyed it still, but really, it felt like a filler season to me to set up juicy stuff in season 4.

Michael Kelly was MVP tho, even with his stuff getting some shitty writing at points.

Not as good as the first season, but a good step up over the lacklustre second season. I enjoyed it.

I'll echo this. The first season was fun and good. The second season was a profound disappointment and terrible. This season was a big step up from two, but still not as good as one. I wouldn't say they're back on track, but they righted all the wrong and stupid stupid stupid turns that season two pulled.

Toothless

Oh, and what the fuck was that asspull with Mendoza? Biggest flaw of the season for me, really. Built him up for a season and a half, and dispatched off-camera.

OnPoint

Finished it.

Doug's entire arc was so dumb and out of place. I don't understand why they would even include this stuff. Focus on DC.

Claire's stint with the UN was just nonsensical and implausible on so many levels. I get why it was needed in the overall scheme of things, but it could have been toned down and shortened by quite a bit.

Liked Frank not always winning (yet). That was my biggest problem with seasons 1 and 2 - invincible Frank.

I give the season a 7 overall. Would watch again.

Exactly what I thought! Buy a lot stuff, not just, LITERALLY, ONLY SERIAL KILLER ITEMS.

This is why I would have loved some crazy, planned power play/betrayal then departure by Claire. His most trusted ally becomes his greatest enemy and so forth. Instead we got Sitcom Trope 15B in dissatisfied and under-appreciated housewife walks off. I hate watching something unique and able to play by its own rules become so trite and ordinary.

Really like the entire season I kept thinking this is Empire strikes back of House of Card. As in the fall of Frank Underwood.
Also saw that Van turning around by Doug because character closure always end with death. :(
Really wanted that book published

After finishing this season, I have come to a realization: House of Cards isn't that good. Way too many pacing issues and plots that go nowhere. Each season should have been eight episodes.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I just finished the season and overall I think it was maybe the best season so far. I liked that becoming President made Frank less powerful and more subject to the whims of the other senators, press, lawyers and congressmen. Seems like a realistic portrayal of the presidency.
Claires final about turn seemed pretty well foreshadowed by the meeting with the woman with the baby. The presidency is Claire and Franks 'baby' and Claire thought the same way about it as the woman did about her baby.
I also liked Dougs storyline, as it showed just how messed up he is, which we need to see to believe that he will go back to Frank when he could bury him in a second. He still remains a bit of an enigma, but his insane loyalty is believable.

Draconian

Claire's arc is just ridiculous and by the end of this season, I just flat out hate what she has become. I can understand if she left Frank for good reasons, but everything in that scene in the oval office was that "It has to be about ME, ME, ME." How about you grow up and check your ego at the door for a sec? Absolutely pathetic writing here.

Doug was always psycho. I can't believe he wasn't questioned by a store clerk for buying serial killer items.

The creepy van was over the top as well.

he needed Walter White to school him on not buying all your items at the same store at the same time....

Stay out of my territory

S3 was shit tier compared to S1. I am sad that they are stretching the storyline with useless filler now. Was much better and tighter in S1. I was hoping for a return after the middling S2, but =(

Chittagong

Gold Member
Finished the season. It was entertaining, but for the first time it felt like Lost writing, that they are making the plot as they go, and have no plan on where the subplots lead. In the first two seasons they had a clear arch they followed, but here they just seemed to throw stuff on the wall. The writer was the truest metaphor to this, a device they used to reveal things they wanted us to know, but with no plot in himself.

funkypie

Banned
After the first two seasons which I enjoyed, I was left unimpressed with this series. Found it boring and not much going on.

Hated Doug his weird obsession with frank and Rachel. The Rachel part even from series two was just boring and repetitive and what he ends up doing to her.

Why does Freddie hate frank though? I know he was pissed off but it was Freddie's son who caused his rip business to mess up not frank.

That Clift hanger was one of the worse in tv history lmao.

Brakke

Banned
ayyyy listening to that pod now they raise the most obvious thing I never thought about if Frank sees Doug--who knows about two murders committed by The Damn President--getting back to the bottle why doesn't he murder his ass?? that's the loosest end!!

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
After the first two seasons which I enjoyed, I was left unimpressed with this series. Found it boring and not much going on.

Hated Doug his weird obsession with frank and Rachel. The Rachel part even from series two was just boring and repetitive and what he ends up doing to her.

Why does Freddie hate frank though? I know he was pissed off but it was Freddie's son who caused his rip business to mess up not frank.

That Clift hanger was one of the worse in tv history lmao.
I don't think freddie hates frank, it's just that he doesn't have that much in common with him but is forced to play along. Plud Frank basically keeps him around like a pet.

Finally finished this last night.

I for one absolutely loved this season. My favorite one by far. It was different from the first two, yes, but I think it was also much better. I loved the atmosphere, and the way that Frank seemed to constantly have his back against the wall. I did miss the monologues, but I think it was necessary given the season's tone.

I don't have the problem with the ending either. I understand why people do, but looking back, I can see that pretty much everything in the entire season was building to this point. Claire wanting to become ambassador, then sabotaging relations (you can read this as a power play—she didn't like Petrov and had been opposed to negations from the start, and so decided to do something about it), then getting let go so that her husband could have a diplomatic win... this is what it came too.

Toothless

PeuVGvY.png

Good old Netflix

Kain

So I just finished season 3.

Meh, this series has become such a bore, I don't think I'm in for season 4.

Part of the reason I didn't like this was Claire. Instead of sucking up her failure as ambassador she throws a tantrum and leaves Frank, that's so out of character. She is supposed to be smart and power-hungry like her husband, if she resented him (which she clearly does) she could have planned a much better revenge by siding with Dunbar or something. Instead she behaves like a spoiled child. Maybe that's what she is, a spoiled child, and I guess I'm more dissapointed than anything else.

Also Doug's quest was waaaaaaaaaaaaay overstretched.

News Bot

Banned
The music that plays in every single Doug obsessing over Rachel scene cracks me the fuck up. There needs to be a parody with that. So melodramatic.

Cse

Banned
So I just finished season 3.

Meh, this series has become such a bore, I don't think I'm in for season 4.

Part of the reason I didn't like this was Claire. Instead of sucking up her failure as ambassador she throws a tantrum and leaves Frank, that's so out of character. She is supposed to be smart and power-hungry like her husband, if she resented him (which she clearly does) she could have planned a much better revenge by siding with Dunbar or something. Instead she behaves like a spoiled child. Maybe that's what she is, a spoiled child, and I guess I'm more dissapointed than anything else.

Also Doug's quest was waaaaaaaaaaaaay overstretched.

Claire doesn't resent Frank - she resents how she feels when she's tied down by him through marriage. She feels she failed as the US ambassador because of Frank's overwhelming influence on her autonomy. For example, Frank deciding to meet with Petrov in the Jordan Valley against Claire's will.

She is just as power hungry as ever, and wants to grow and become more politically influential, but she realized she can't do that if Frank is depressing her potential. She saw how dependent Frank's positive poll numbers were on her presence. There was an overt line of irony in the final episode, where Frank told Claire, "Without me, you are nothing." Given Claire's popularity and Frank's comparative unpopularity among the general public, this would seem to be quite false - leading Claire to believe that the path has been paved for her own political trajectory - which doesn't involve Frank.

I do agree about the Doug-Rachel subplot - the pacing was horrendous. Essentially nothing for 12 episodes, and then it climaxes and ends all in the 13th episode.

waypoetic

Banned
God damn it, i shouldn't have read the Facebook comments: "wow, he actually did it, what a monster" and "francis, i'm leaving you".

So, Doug did it huh. First i thought that he - despite that she tried to kill him - was still in love with her, but no, he signed her ticket and boom; no more! Claire leaving Francis, well, i kind of saw it coming two episodes ago.

Dunbar though, man, i had to refresh my memory; i thought she was a republican?! I hate her "it's personal!"-bullshit.

#Underwood2016

IISANDERII

Doug changing his mind slowly about Rachel, then ultimately changing it back so suddenly and the editing: I swear I've seen that on The Simpsons somewhere.

alterno69

Banned
Finished the season today.

This has become a totally diferent show from what it was in season 1. Every episode in the first season was so good and there was always something important going on, this season had lots of filler. The while US-Russia crisis was interesting at first but went on for too long. Claire's character went to shit, she was supossed to be this smart, cold, calculating woman and enden up being a spoiled brat. Season 1 Claire wouldn't be so affected by a selfish man commiting suicide enough to start a crisis between two countries.

Makes waiting a year for next season not very painful at least.

I want Fincher back.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
almost finished S3, gonna watch the finale

I've come to accept this is a different show with a different premise, and it had to be expected. After Frank got his revenge on Walker and kicked him out of the WH show had to switch focus on the president and all the shit he would have to go through to lead a nation the way he wanted to. And I still like it, despite agreeing with some of the criticism (Claire's development, Remy suddenly losing his shit, etc). Petrov has also become a comic book villain or some 80s movie Russian in a matter of minutes, which is perhaps the worst part of this season so far. Awfully heavy handed and idiotic. But it's still a highly enjoyable show for me, and cant wait for the finale and S4 already

dLMN8R

Wow, I just finished this season and really loved it overall. I haven't read any comments or reviews of it, so there are my pure unadulterated impressions...

It's great to finally be able to genuinely root against Frank Underwood without any reservations. In season 1 and 2 despite him being a murder and sociopath, it seemed like he at least had the best intentions at heart for the country.

But god damn, does he not. Turns out he's just as much a sociopath when it comes to leading the country as he was when it came to getting there. The horrific AmWorks plan, the pathetic foreign policy leadership, the reckless military ops, and more.

I fucking loved the addition of Tom Yates. I completely bought into his "addiction" to growing close with people, and Paul Sparks played him brilliantly. Such a totally genuine, deep, soulful individual who brought a completely new and very much welcome dimension into the Underwood's relationship, so much so that it even made Meechum obviously jealous....since Meechum was previously the only person to come nearly that close to the Underwoods.

Having Dunbar there as a truly formidable opponent (and a genuine diametric opposite to Frank in every single way) is another great dynamic. Her being there enabled Jackie grow to become an even more interesting character.

And then Claire. Fucking finally. She deserves so much more.

Honestly cannot wait to see season 4 at this point. After season 2 ended, I was left with a feeling of what could possibly come next, but at the end of 3, it's the opposite - I can't stop imagining all the possibilities.

[edit] Forgot about Doug's arc. I guess that speaks volumes huh? Though I wasn't entirely disappointed with it, just thought it was mostly predictable. Rachel had to die or else we'd just be left with the same thing as season 2 where Doug was just lying to Frank. The only way Doug would be truly "back" would be if he genuinely did what Frank asked. Otherwise season 4 would inevitably just involve multiple episodes leading up to Frank finding out that Rachel was still alive.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I really wanted Doug to die last season. He is the worst. His snaky voice annoys me to no end.

I mostly liked this season.

More what? She is the least genuine person in the show, and she got in the situation because she wanted to. No sympathy.

Turin

Banned
Doug's story might have felt more worthwhile if they actually knew where they were going with it. In the end he was still just Franks pet and there was no need to spend all of that time with him.

Watched the 3 seasons last week, love it but is not the same show anymore, I enjoyed the first and second season more than the 3rd season. I hope they don't drag the show more than 2 seasons, I don't think there is more to tell outside
Claire getting a divorce and going against Francis to end the show with her becoming president of the USA.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Watched the 3 seasons last week, love it but is not the same show anymore, I enjoyed the first and second season more than the 3rd season. I hope they don't drag the show more than 2 seasons, I don't think there is more to tell outside
Claire getting a divorce and going against Francis to end the show with her becoming president of the USA.

That would be ridiculous if the writers pull this kind of thing in next season. She has failed miserably throughout the season and doesn't deserve anything.

dLMN8R

More what? She is the least genuine person in the show, and she got in the situation because she wanted to. No sympathy.

I don't know. She of course did a ton of reprehensible shit and she obviously knew what it was all for from the very beginning - to get Frank elected - but at the same time I feel like she's also had to personally deal with a lot more shit than Frank has. And every terrible thing that's happened to her has required manipulation to benefit Frank in some way.

The thing is, she did prove herself to be a capable ambassador throughout most of this season, but then she got played....once. How many horrible mistakes has Frank made and Claire helped him through it? Claire finally gets a chance to prove herself, does manage to accomplish quite a bit (especially with the Israelis), and makes one mistake.

I'm definitely interested to see her arc next season, and I'm hoping Tom Yates plays a big part of it too.

So what do you think or speculate is the end game for the show?.

Frank (or maybe both of them) killing himself as the FBI bangs on his door is my guess.

Also I know this show is so unrealistic at times, but Claire running against Frank would be the final nail in the coffin for this show. That would be an awful direction for the show.

antibolo

Banned
Ending the show with Frank's death seems like an easy way out to me.

Here's my idea on how to end the show: we learn that it was all an alien reality TV show with Frank as the star. The invisible alien cameras produced an hypnotic field that made everyone not notice Frank talking to the camera whenever he directly looked at it. Unfortunately the aliens got bored and the show got cancelled.

neoism

Well I watched all three seasons in like 2 weeks woooow insanely great show...

Really love to hate frank but he is awesome... Really dislike Claire's character now wtf....

neoism

Yeah I agree season three was just different.. Plus the last 4 or so eps frank almost completely stopped doing the "talking to the audience thing" I missed that...

neoism

Wow, I just finished this season and really loved it overall. I haven't read any comments or reviews of it, so there are my pure unadulterated impressions...

It's great to finally be able to genuinely root against Frank Underwood without any reservations. In season 1 and 2 despite him being a murder and sociopath, it seemed like he at least had the best intentions at heart for the country.

But god damn, does he not. Turns out he's just as much a sociopath when it comes to leading the country as he was when it came to getting there. The horrific AmWorks plan, the pathetic foreign policy leadership, the reckless military ops, and more.

I fucking loved the addition of Tom Yates. I completely bought into his "addiction" to growing close with people, and Paul Sparks played him brilliantly. Such a totally genuine, deep, soulful individual who brought a completely new and very much welcome dimension into the Underwood's relationship, so much so that it even made Meechum obviously jealous....since Meechum was previously the only person to come nearly that close to the Underwoods.

Having Dunbar there as a truly formidable opponent (and a genuine diametric opposite to Frank in every single way) is another great dynamic. Her being there enabled Jackie grow to become an even more interesting character.

Honestly cannot wait to see season 4 at this point. After season 2 ended, I was left with a feeling of what could possibly come next, but at the end of 3, it's the opposite - I can't stop imagining all the possibilities.

[edit] Forgot about Doug's arc. I guess that speaks volumes huh? Though I wasn't entirely disappointed with it, just thought it was mostly predictable. Rachel had to die or else we'd just be left with the same thing as season 2 where Doug was just lying to Frank. The only way Doug would be truly "back" would be if he genuinely did what Frank asked. Otherwise season 4 would inevitably just involve multiple episodes leading up to Frank finding out that Rachel was still alive.
I really hated that author and thought the actor was terrible never seen him in anything else though.... He derseved to be fired he didn't do what frank asked him to write about.

Super late, but finally caught up on this.

Yeesh. What a stinker of a season.

Doug Stamper. Doug fucking Stamper. This entire storyline felt like a lesson in "how to not fill your season with padding". Watching his story unfold was a lesson in misery, and not in a good way. His recovery, his attempts to come back, his mourning over Rachel, his awkward exchanges with his family, his alcoholism, his redemption through family, blah blah blah. All of it felt so "IN CASE YOU DIDN'T REALIZE, THIS MAN IS SUFFERING".

Sorry, but I just don't care about Doug Stamper that much. He's a nice ancillary character but I don't want to spend half the season on him and his mourn-porn crap.

Oh, and after he actually recovers, through his time with his family and the realization that Rachel is alive? All that time attempting to make him an understandable and relatable character, fully-realized and sympathetic? Eh, who gives a fuck? Let's have him murder Rachel, for no reason whatsoever.

Frankly, that entire sequence was pretty disturbing. We watch Rachel, perfectly happy in her new life, no chance of being found or noticed by anyone...and Doug just ends that. Why? He wasn't even going to kill her at the end of Season 2. Why now? Why freak out like the world was ending when you "found out" she had been murdered, if you don't really care?

And that's just Doug, not even mentioning the other lackluster B and C plots. This reason could have been 6-8 episodes without all the filler that added little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom