• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of Cards S3 |OT| Available now on Netflix! - *Spoilers for all of S3*

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am at episode 3 and I see now that
Frank has reached the pinnacle of power and now he doesn't know how to handle it . His motivation Has dwindled somewhat

Dantis

I'm on episode 9, and I'm hating this season. Really poor.

Massive, massive drop.

Someone tell me it gets better before it ends.

I know I might be in the minority here but I think I preferred this season over season 2. My one major gripe seems to be a gripe a lot of people have.
Claire's sudden character change. Really, it makes zero sense and was needlessly added to create more drama. After episode 6, I was ready to stop watching but thankfully they turned it around briefly.

I'll watch a season 4, but it absolutely needs to be wrapped up. I think if they go into next year knowing it will be the last season the writing will be a lot sharper. Season 3 suffered sometimes and it seemed like the writers were making it up as they went along.

omg_mjd

Just finished the season. I liked it even though the first few episodes literally put me to sleep.

Doug's character arc this season seems pointless. So the old Doug would've just killed Rachel in the parking lot while this new "I love you, big bro" Doug has a (temporary) change of heart? What was the point of everything if in the end the writers just basically reset his character and his situation like this was a weekly syndicated show?

I enjoyed Claire's ultimate decision. The show was foreshadowing it too heavily for my taste but it's a good place for the season to end. Or maybe I just really hate Frank and anything that hurts him makes me glad.

Remy's encounter with the cops was a great scene. Fucked up how the situation is both cliche (given how predictably it played out) but also realistic at the same time.

Anyway, can't wait for the next season. Show's definitely not perfect but it has its moments.

KmA

Honestly I'm surprised at people's reaction's to Claire. (All season spoilers)
If you pay attention to her body language, she is constantly disappointed in the decisions that Frank makes. When he makes her shutdown her non-profit, she gives in. Giving up her position as ambassador. She is constantly compromising for him and it never works in her favor. I honestly did not like her until this season. My two favorite parts of the season were her arguments with Frank. When he says that he never should have made her ambassador she responds she never should have made him president. Agh that was so satisfying. And then she leaves him?!

I guess I just like seeing Frank suffer because I hate him. And Claire gives me that and more since she's the only one in the show that seems to be able to do that.

If you pay attention to her body language, she is constantly disappointed in the decisions that Frank makes. When he makes her shutdown her non-profit, she gives in. Giving up her position as ambassador. She is constantly compromising for him and it never works in her favor. I honestly did not like her until this season. My two favorite parts of the season were her arguments with Frank. When he says that he never should have made her ambassador she responds she never should have made him president. Agh that was so satisfying. And then she leaves him?!

I guess I just like seeing Frank suffer because I hate him. And Claire gives me that and more since she's the only one in the show that seems to be able to do that.

It's not like I'm surprised by it "coming out of nowhere" as yes, it's constantly foreshadowed. The problem for me is basically what Frank says to her in their confrontation in the office. It's almost like even the writers know how stupid the arc was. Claire always knew that Frank was President, it's not like she could suddenly call shots as the first lady. Their entire marriage was built around being power hungry. They finally get it and suddenly her hardened demeanor disappears? It's completely illogical. Doesn't matter how the writers tried to justify it by building her doubts over the season, her character for the past 2 seasons would never have been bothered by any of these things before.

Brakke

Banned
So I was reading this: How Netflix Broke The Unbreakable, about how the Netflix release-everything-at-once model fucks up talking about television. Couldn't help but think of this thread. Is this thread going to get some more steam when the spoiler window expires in a couple days? I wasn't around for the Season 2 thread so I don't have a good sense for if that happened then.

As it is, this thread's pretty limp / inactive considering we're looking at big name, popular, prestige-ish show. I guess part of the problem here is people don't come in to talk until they finish the whole thing (or, if they do come around, they don't stick around). Then, once you've finished the thing, there's no excitement in talking about Episode 3 or whatever because anything it put up in the air has hit the ground by the end of the season. So we don't get any wild speculation from episode to episode and we barely even get discussion outside anything but full-season impressions or focus on a couple events with season-defining significance.

I like that article's idea, to marathon the thing instead of binge it. Would people be interested in creating an artificial release schedule?

https://d262ilb51hltx0.cloudfront.net/max/1200/1*jrFsQJpUF_4pvIjgNqHjSQ.jpeg

The ship's sailed on this season I guess but is that idea, generally, something people would be down for next season / in similar situations going forward?

Can you imagine? The conversation around this viewing window would be massive, almost unbearable. Fans would feel compelled to catch up every night, so as to be involved in tomorrow’s discussion. And if you missed a day or two, catching up would be painless.

A resurrected, reconfigured schedule — modelled on the miniseries, but contemporized for real-time culture — would unleash the potential for conversation.

(shout out to Vermillion for giving digging in on something specific a go over here; anti-shoutout everyone who complained about it.)

BIGWORM

So I was reading this: How Netflix Broke The Unbreakable, about how the Netflix release-everything-at-once model fucks up talking about television. Couldn't help but think of this thread. Is this thread going to get some more steam when the spoiler window expires in a couple days? I wasn't around for the Season 2 thread so I don't have a good sense for if that happened then.

As it is, this thread's pretty limp / inactive considering we're looking at big name, popular, prestige-ish show. I guess part of the problem here is people don't come in to talk until they finish the whole thing (or, if they do come around, they don't stick around). Then, once you've finished the thing, there's no excitement in talking about Episode 3 or whatever because anything it put up in the air has hit the ground by the end of the season. So we don't get any wild speculation from episode to episode and we barely even get discussion outside anything but full-season impressions or focus on a couple events with season-defining significance.

I like that article's idea, to marathon the thing instead of binge it. Would people be interested in creating an artificial release schedule?

The ship's sailed on this season I guess but is that idea, generally, something people would be down for next season / in similar situations going forward?

(shout out to Vermillion for giving digging in on something specific a go over here; anti-shoutout everyone who complained about it.)

Pretty much. Everyone comes in here, dumps their opinion, and waits for next season, lol. Depending on the length of the season, they should release shows in 2 episode chunks a week or something.

someday

Banned
I wouldn't mind at all if they released an episode every day or two. I like not having to wait a week for episodes but slowing it down would make it more of an experience. It would also stop me from wasting an entire weekend watching TV.

Claire all season spoilers;
Well I think her change in heart would be better suited for one of the earlier seasons when she DOESN'T have the power of being the First Lady and Frank actively contrasts her goals with his, I don't remember all of the details but the water bill thing comes to mind. She had no problem giving in to see him succeed and now she's the First Lady and has the most power she's ever wielded in her life and Frank was right; she's demanding more from him without stating what she wants. She was given the opportunity to be nominated for ambassador and she failed the "normal way" after she showed she wasn't cool under pressure in a "simulation", so then Frank jeopardized his approval rating and nominated her anyway and she failed there too. Besides having ero prior experience like the her critics rightly pointed out, the peacekeeping missions went to shambles primarily because she wasn't an experienced diplomat and had no idea to second-guess the Russian ambassador so Frank trusts her and launches an operation that could have kickstarted WWIII or Cold War II if it went more awry than it already did. Then Frank STILL keeps her on, and only lets her go AFTER Petrov demands that she resigns, and he STILL asks her about it before making the decision, even though saying no could strain foreign relations even further. Not to mention the need to spit in Petrov's face on live TV when she's supposed to be the ambassador, and again - all of this coming from a woman who said she would rather see an unborn baby wither and die than give in to one of her subordinates. /rant over

Brakke

Banned
http://www.onthemedia.org/story/episode-1-sic-semper-francis/

In this debut episode of On House of Cards, Brooke Gladstone dissects the first episode of the third season with the creator and executive producer of House of Cards, Beau Willimon, and chief national correspondent for New York Times Magazine, Mark Leibovich.

Haven't actually listened to this yet; going to play it on the commute home.

That art tho:

unnamed_5.jpg

This is a pretty typical amount of action for a binge watching show. Initial seasons tend to be more active, but I'm not surprised with the lack of posts in this thread. There isn't a good solution for generating discussion that I know of, and the threads tend to be much less active because of it.
We've done this before a couple of times for rewatching shows, and they haven't garnered a ton of interest. I think it's an interesting idea, but unless the release is metered on the provider's end, I doubt many people have the patience to wait. Worth a shot, under the right circumstances, though.

WillyFive

I was anticipating getting to the endgame of the BBC House of Cards this season, so
having it begin at the very end of this one
made the whole season feel like filler to me. Although what they did this season ended up being interesting, it felt more at home as a lost West Wing season (except with all the characters being crooks and murderers) rather than House of Cards.

A lot of parts of the show were entirely boring for me, anything that didn't have to do with Frank, Claire, Russia, or the election felt completely pointless and a distraction from the main storyline. It seemed like Netflix wanted the show to have more seasons than the original just so that it can milk the show longer, despite it meaning adding stuff that distracted and went against what made the show popular and good in the first place.

Blader

Finished the season tonight, liked it overall and I'd probably rank it above last year's but still below S1. Spacey and Wright gave their best performances yet, and I liked more disliked the bigger spotlight on Doug
and hopefully with the Rachel subplot tied off, we can focus strictly on Doug as Chief of Staff next year; he's way more interesting when he's working for Frank instead of indulging in whatever weird Rachel fixation he has.
I didn't know everyone was so surprised with Claire's
turn; it seemed like a pretty logical outcome given what she and Frank had gone through this season (which in hindsight was all a giant rift between the two of them that kept opening, closing, and then opening again wider), and the foreshadowing was laid on especially thick in the last two episodes.
Interested to see where that goes from here.

Remy is just the worst character. Why does anyone hold him in any kind of high esteem? Dude was thwarted by Frank at practically every turn last year. He sucks! He's just bad at his job, whatever job that may be, so it was really grating to see so many hold him up as some kind of political wunderkind they needed on their side.
I also lol'd at his long, matter-of-fact way of telling Jackie off...then simply saying her name and immediately backsliding on all of that shit.

I think part of the reason people who haven't finished stay away is that despite the spoiler tag instruction, people still post in tagged spoilers (for example, like you did above. :))

Brakke

Banned
I think part of the reason people who haven't finished stay away is that despite the spoiler tag instruction, people still post in tagged spoilers (for example, like you did above. :))

Wait what do you think is a spoiler? Doug being alive is like the second scene! That's not a spoiler that's a premise.

Wait what do you think is a spoiler?
Yeah, your post really wasn't as bad as others I've seen. And yes, the thing that stood out to me was the (Episode 1 spoiler)
Doug being alive
thing.

Of course, you could argue that anyone coming into this thread without having seen the first episode is basically okay with things getting spoiled and that my use of spoilers in this very post is a bit ridiculous. :)

duckroll

I don't think this thread is particularly "limp" or inactive for what it is. In fact, it seems on par with the sort of discussion which I think can be expected from a thread about the third season of a character driven political drama which many people feel has been declining with each season. Netflix releasing everything on the same day probably doesn't have much impact on that. HBO's Newsroom is another character centric political series with top tier talent involved which also declined season after season. It aired weekly. It also has minimal discussion here.

Newsroom S1 thread - 47 pages
Newsroom S2 thread - 20 pages
Newsroom S3 thread - 10 pages

House of Cards S1 thread - 39 pages
House of Cards S2 thread - 29 pages
House of Cards S3 thread - 21 pages currently

Doesn't seem bad at all. Blaming the lack of discussion on the format it is being released in seems misguided. I have a feeling that when Daredevil launches next month, it will easily be the most active thread for a Netflix series here on the forum. Why? Because this is first and foremost a gaming forum which attracts younger audiences and people who are into popular mainstream entertainment. A big brand like Marvel and a connected universe to speculate about goes a long way. The same with Game of Thrones. If Game of Thrones were released on Netflix, all the episodes being released on the same day isn't going to be able to stop the momentum of discussion.

Brakke

Banned
This is a pretty typical amount of action for a binge watching show. <snip>

I don't think this thread is particularly "limp" or inactive for what it is. In fact, it seems on par with the sort of discussion which I think can be expected from a thread about the third season of a character driven political drama which many people feel has been declining with each season. <snip>

Hmm interesting. My perspective is also maybe skewed by the fact that I was banned the weekend the thing released. But even if I hadn't been, I probably wouldn't have participated in the thread because of the spoiler policy. Hard to really engage if people don't have a common ground of things they're "allowed" to talk about.

I'm curious what happens tomorrow when the embargo lifts.

Yeah, your post really wasn't as bad as others I've seen. And yes, the thing that stood out to me was the (Episode 1 spoiler)
Doug being alive
thing.

Of course, you could argue that anyone coming into this thread without having seen the first episode is basically okay with things getting spoiled and that my use of spoilers in this very post is a bit ridiculous. :)

Actually, listening to that podcast, Mr Willimon was talking about how he intended that opening scene to seem like maybe Frank was standing over Doug's grave. Which like. Ehhhhh. Maaaaaaaybe. Incidentally, that podcast was really close to interesting but I'm not sure if it quite got there. Nothing terribly ground-breaking. A couple cases where the host & guest had more insight into the dynamics of the show than Beau did. >.<

But yeah. Doug being in every episode of this season sort of outweighs *maybe* thinking he's dead for like three minutes of the first episode.

PopFisto

Banned
Claire leaving still doesn't really make much sense.

I mean they addressed why her character is the way she is. Just comes kinda outta the blue.

It kinda ruins what came before, and her character.

Easily the weakest season. Still had some great stuff. It needs more of Kevin Spacey giving those dark sardonic monologues to the screen off to the side. They've kinda dropped that gimmick, but its the best part.

WillyFive

Claire leaving still doesn't really make much sense.

I mean they addressed why her character is the way she is. Just comes kinda outta the blue.

It kinda ruins what came before, and her character.

Easily the weakest season. Still had some great stuff. It needs more of Kevin Spacey giving those dark sardonic monologues to the screen off to the side. They've kinda dropped that gimmick, but its the best part.

I think Claire's motivations have been very well built up to by the past few seasons; albeit admittedly not in a way that easily allows the audience to see her emotions internally. The successive strings of
failures in her career due to Frank's actions and she begrudgingly allowing herself to be consistently stepped on by Francis for his needs
is very strong reasoning as to why her character makes the decisions she makes....and that's not even mentioning that ****BBC VERSION SPOILERS****
it follows that Claire is ultimately the one who takes down Francis.

SURGEdude

I think Claire's motivations have been very well built up to by the past few seasons; albeit admittedly not in a way that easily allows the audience to see her emotions internally. The successive strings of
failures in her career due to Frank's actions and she begrudgingly allowing herself to be consistently stepped on by Francis for his needs
is very strong reasoning as to why her character makes the decisions she makes....and that's not even mentioning that ****BBC VERSION SPOILERS****
it follows that Claire is ultimately the one who takes down Francis.

I know how they did in it the BBC version and it was much better done there.

Here Clair had a dramatic and unfounded sudden shift. For once Frank actually gave her what she wanted, and she blew it hard. Making her angry now is just shit writing and trying to pivot her character to suit the plot. I think the fact that this is a pretty universal complaint will hopefully push them to either expand on her past, or just avoid aping the BBC plot.

I think the whole Claire thing is a fake out btw. A nod to fans of both series.

I agree with many of the sentiments discussed above. This season felt very weak and stretched out.

I'd just like to add a quick note. As a current PhD student in Meteorology and Atmospheric Science,
that hurricane was bullshit. A hurricane is not going to suddenly leave the cone of probability and completely miss shore 6-12 hours before landfall. And don't even get me started on the 5 second segment afterwards which spoke of flooding in Georgia. Based on the radar imagery they showed us, there were hardly any clouds in Georgia, let alone flooding rains. Even the characters poorly conveyed motivations were more convincing than that stupid plot device disguised as a dangerous tropical cyclone!

But really, this season overall was just a drag

Nekofrog

Banned
Full season spoiler:

I like Doug as a character. His arc this season was horse shit. The murder at the end was horse shit. That is all.

As it's now been two weeks since the release, spoiler tags are no longer needed for discussing any and all of Season 3. Thanks for your patience and diligence in using tags until now, and enjoy the conversation.

methane47

Just finished it last night.

What a depressing season.
Claire wtf?

I have no idea what is going on with her. She's upset with Frank because she is the one constantly failing? and ends up jeopardizing the entire world?! Takes it out on frank.

As an ambassador she was a complete and utter failure, and the only times she succeeded in winning was win she had to call in air support from frank (sending the 5000 troops in).

Clearly she wasn't happy, but man it is super selfish of her to leave at that time.

That said, Frank was a huge Dick. Had he used just an ounce of tact in the oval, during the argument, things would have turned out alittle different.

Season 2 was definitely better.

Hmm interesting. My perspective is also maybe skewed by the fact that I was banned the weekend the thing released. But even if I hadn't been, I probably wouldn't have participated in the thread because of the spoiler policy. Hard to really engage if people don't have a common ground of things they're "allowed" to talk about.

<snip>

But yeah. Doug being in every episode of this season sort of outweighs *maybe* thinking he's dead for like three minutes of the first episode.
Not sure I understand why it's hard to really engage - you can talk about anything you want - just use spoiler tags and note which episode the spoiler is about. Or is the concern that you have a hard time figuring out what is / isn't a spoiler?

Re: Doug, it's still a spoiler no matter how you rationalize it :) (granted, a very small spoiler that most folks would not be up in arms about). A similar, but bigger, spoiler would be the death of Kate Mara's character in episode 1 of season 2.

I hope this doesn't come across as nit-pickery or annoying. If it does, just disregard. No a big deal in the grand scheme of things. :)

As it's now been two weeks since the release, spoiler tags are no longer needed for discussing any and all of Season 3. Thanks for your patience and diligence in using tags until now, and enjoy the conversation.

Man, I finished up at just the right time, then.

I was really, really enjoying this season...until that fucking sudden ending. The prior two seasons seemed to end at a good breaking point. This one leaves too many questions unanswered. "So, is Frank going to win the primary? Does he go to NH alone? What is Claire going to do? What are Remy and Jackie going to do? Join up with Dunbar?"

The only person I felt who got closure on their subplot is Doug. When Remy left, I was thinking, "Oh snap! Doug needs to get that job!" So I loved how they closed it all out, even though the whole killing Rachel thing dragged on a bit much in that episode. I guess they wanted you to not be sure if he would or wouldn't...but ugh, felt like filler I guess. Also, it was so dark I couldn't get a feel for what was going on (might have been my TV/environment).

I thought it was well written and Frank is clearly becoming a giant asshole to pretty much everyone around him, but that ending was a "half season break" ending, not a season break ending.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
This season was 90% filler, especially considering how Doug, Rachel, and Gavin's character all turn out. Loved the acting by Stamper but the whole arc could not have been more transparent in its purpose as simply wheel spinning by the writers. The fact that the main plots of the season were not well tied together or satisfying either just made it even more apparent as a time burner.

Blader

Man, I finished up at just the right time, then.

I was really, really enjoying this season...until that fucking sudden ending. The prior two seasons seemed to end at a good breaking point. This one leaves too many questions unanswered. "So, is Frank going to win the primary? Does he go to NH alone? What is Claire going to do? What are Remy and Jackie going to do? Join up with Dunbar?"

That's probably the show was ordered as a two-season package from the start, so the S2 finale was written as a potential series finale.

I don't mind them leaving as many balls in the air with this year's finale as they did because I assume/hope it's building up to S4 as the final season. Though I think tying off the Doug/Rachel subplot is a pretty big act of closure, and one that was actually left totally open-ended last year (is Doug dead or not? where's Rachel going to run to? etc.).

That's probably the show was ordered as a two-season package from the start, so the S2 finale was written as a potential series finale.

I don't mind them leaving as many balls in the air with this year's finale as they did because I assume/hope it's building up to S4 as the final season. Though I think tying off the Doug/Rachel subplot is a pretty big act of closure, and one that was actually left totally open-ended last year (is Doug dead or not? where's Rachel going to run to? etc.).
I did not know that about the first two seasons. That makes things a bit clearer.

And I totally agree with you about S4 being the last season. It's just frustrating for me because of the way I've watched the major shows of the last few years. I binge watched LOST on Netflix after the show was totally done. Same thing with Breaking Bad (only had to wait a few months between seeing the S4 and S5 on Netflix). I'm watching The Wire way late (moving through the seasons slowly). I hate cliffhangers for the main focus of the story. I agree with there being unresolved subplots after S2, but it was on the side characters, so it didn't feel like such a big thing.

ship it

Just finished it last night.

What a depressing season.
Claire wtf?

I have no idea what is going on with her. She's upset with Frank because she is the one constantly failing? and ends up jeopardizing the entire world?! Takes it out on frank.

As an ambassador she was a complete and utter failure, and the only times she succeeded in winning was win she had to call in air support from frank (sending the 5000 troops in).

Clearly she wasn't happy, but man it is super selfish of her to leave at that time.

That said, Frank was a huge Dick. Had he used just an ounce of tact in the oval, during the argument, things would have turned out alittle different.

Season 2 was definitely better.

yea I agree with all of this. mentioned this to someone else and they disagreed with me completely heh.

Deku Tree

Worst HoC season yet. I rank them 1 > 2 > 3... Frank becoming president was the worst plot move they could possibly have come up with. The show was better with him being a scrappy congressman in the congressional leadership.

They cut out a lot of what made the show good because Netflix appeared reluctant to make "The president of the united states" appear to be too much of a total scum bag. But they already told us in S1 and S2 that Frank is a total scumbag so I don't get it...

And S3 really missed Doug. He was like one of the best characters on the previous seasons.

If S4 doesn't pick up fairly quickly I may drop it.

Brakke

Banned
Worst HoC season yet. I rank them 1 > 2 > 3... Frank becoming president was the worst plot move they could possibly have come up with. The show was better with him being a scrappy congressman in the congressional leadership.

They cut out a lot of what made the show good because Netflix appeared reluctant to make "The president of the united states" appear to be too much of a total scum bag. But they already told us in S1 and S2 that Frank is a total scumbag so I don't get it...

And S3 really missed Doug. He was like one of the best characters on the previous seasons.

If S4 doesn't pick up fairly quickly I may drop it.

[citation needed]

Oddduck

This season was 90% filler, especially considering how Doug, Rachel, and Gavin's character all turn out. Loved the acting by Stamper but the whole arc could not have been more transparent in its purpose as simply wheel spinning by the writers. The fact that the main plots of the season were not well tied together or satisfying either just made it even more apparent as a time burner.

Agreed.

There were a lot of great performances this season, but the majority of the writing and plots felt like filler.

Brakke

Banned
Doug you bastard. Nice heel turn after all the redemption head faking with his bro and everything.

I wish he hadn't been in the car when he changed his mind. Could've literally turned on his heel. Made a metaphor of it. Woulda been deep.

vpance

I wish he hadn't been in the car when he changed his mind. Could've literally turned on his heel. Made a metaphor of it. Woulda been deep.

The gross mistreatment of fine young women on this show will be its ultimate downfall.

If true then that explains a lot. Every aspect of the show felt toned down, especially Underwood, and even the political maneuverings. Maybe viewers were demanding something easier to follow?

WillyFive

Frank becoming president was the worst plot move they could possibly have come up with. The show was better with him being a scrappy congressman in the congressional leadership.

But that's the entire point of the show. This show is a remake of a British show with the same name where the equivalent happens. If he stayed a congressman, it wouldn't be House of Cards.

Finished it.

I might have missed it at some point but the preview for the season showed Putin-lite and Underwood going for a handshake and putin-lite leaving Underwood hanging. Which episode did that happen in?

Deku Tree

[citation needed]

When I said "appeared reluctant to make" I thought it was clear that I was stating my opinion. I highly doubt Netflix would discuss it.

If true then that explains a lot. Every aspect of the show felt toned down, especially Underwood, and even the political maneuverings. Maybe viewers were demanding something easier to follow?

Yeah the big draw of the show was how far Frank and company would go to get their way and how crazy that was... This season underwhelmed in that department.

But that's the entire point of the show. This show is a remake of a British show with the same name where the equivalent happens. If he stayed a congressman, it wouldn't be House of Cards.

Sure no doubt but I haven't watched the British show and I don't know if Franks equivalent toned down all the deeply unethical scumbag behavior once he became British PM. I'm not saying Frank becoming President in itself was the bad move, but the way they toned down his character was the bad move. And I'm saying that I believe they toned it down because he's now playing the President of the United States.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom