• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How dead is the Chrono series?

Instro

After that teasing music cue at this year's E3 from Square Enix, Chrono Break/3 is about as likely as Square making a teaser for a game that isn't on mobile.

That or a sequel to The World Ends With You.

Must have missed that. They played something Chrono related during their E3 event?

Esque7

Amazing bump.

In relation to the topic though, if there is a new Chrono game I'm not sure I'd want it to have any relation to the past two. Cross completed the story, and should be left as is.

Peltz

Chrono's back, baby!

Sorry. My son was talking about the Chrono series and I searched GAF for a thread and saw this which I found amusing. :D

Oh shit... didn't even realize I posted in this thread! Lmao. Nice necro bump

Kirye

Nah man...G4 sucked a bit back then, it was a good call, but 3 of the "dream games" got called dead in the same thread and got revived in one conference!

Too epic. And greatest bump I've ever seen.

This bump is hilarious, but the other one being 10 years in the making with the same poster is just absolutely amazing. Besides there's tons of threads in GAF that you could "Make people eat crow" on for the dream games.

On topic: The Chrono series is deader than Skies of Arcadia.

Now we play the waiting game.

Must have missed that. They played something Chrono related during their E3 event?

Their "hype video" for E3 (it's on their Youtube Channel) had a remix of Frog's theme playing in the background.

That's not a teaser however, because whenever SE makes a video like that they put that remix in (they did it previous years too).

Soriku

A new Chrono game for consoles would do pretty well IMO. Would at least garner a lot of hype. It doesn't have to be big budget (hell Nier 2 is in development), but with SE putting out all these games on consoles now, I don't see the harm in trying to create a new Chrono game too. That's only if they have a good concept and someone wants to make it.

Ganondorfo

Chrono isnt dead, Chrono Trigger is always mentionned in best games of all time lists, no way that Square let it die, they are probably waiting for this generation, so they can make the most beautiful artstyle for Chrono 3 while Mitsuda is making in secret 82 tracks for Chrono 3 with the arstyle of the Chrono Cross guy

Zach

This bump is hilarious, but the other one being 10 years in the making with the same poster is just absolutely amazing. Besides there's tons of threads in GAF that you could "Make people eat crow" on for the dream games.

On topic: The Chrono series is deader than Skies of Arcadia.

Now we play the waiting game.

Haha... and about there being tons of potential crow-eatin' threads, I'm sure that's true -- I just happened upon this one and couldn't resist. : )

Chrono isnt dead, Chrono Trigger is always mentionned in best games of all time lists, no way that Square let it die, they are probably waiting for this generation, so they can make the most beautiful artstyle for Chrono 3 while Mitsuda is making in secret 82 tracks for Chrono 3 with the arstyle of the Chrono Cross guy

Get a load of this guy's optimism!

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Every E3 I hold out hope for Chrono Break. Nintendo gave me one of those feels with Xenoblade, but I'm still waiting on Square to deliver. I do
agree with the skepticism that the modern Square-Enix couldn't deliver a game worthy of the franchise. Square can't even properly build a working engine these days.

Likewise, I would love for Sony to jump in and revisit Legend of Dragoon, but that also won't happen.

I mean, even if you got the whole Chrono team back together, how much money would developing a game so massive cost these days? :(

TacosNSalsa

what needs tying up, though? trigger and cross are both complete stories.
At the end of Cross
they showed Schala/Kid searching for someone. I always assumed it was Magus but I have heard compelling arguments for it being Chrono.
I would love to see how that ended up... Unless there is something I'm missing.

At the end of Cross
they showed Schala/Kid searching for someone. I always assumed it was Magus but I have heard compelling arguments for it being Chrono.
I would love to see how that ended up... Unless there is something I'm missing.

Masato Kato already explained the ending in an interview. Basically,
the character you see is the Schala of the real world, not the Schala of the game. The message of the ending is that there is a Serge and a Schala in every dimension, and in the real world YOU are Serge and there is a Schala out there searching for you.

They actually wanted to show the fate of EVERY character in the ending, Suikoden-style, but they ran out of time/budget so that's the ending we got instead.

Damerman

FI44F.jpg
Omfg i died.

Itachi87

It's not completely dead, but to be honest square still has a lot to prove before I trust them tampering around w/ this beloved franchise.

TacosNSalsa

Oh! Oh! Deader than a new Legacy of Kain game!

Ouch...that hurt...😭😭😭

Masato Kato already explained the ending in an interview. Basically,
the character you see is the Schala of the real world, not the Schala of the game. The message of the ending is that there is a Serge and a Schala in every dimension, and in the real world YOU are Serge and there is a Schala out there searching for you.

They actually wanted to show the fate of EVERY character in the ending, Suikoden-style, but they ran out of time/budget so that's the ending we got instead.

Wow didn't know that..that's an interesting take to say the least.
I hate how they dropped Magus' storyline. I played the entire game thinking guile was him!

BasilZero

As dead as the Mana series and the Breath of Fire series....oh wait more dead since those two games went mobile >_>.

Top Bottom