• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much different will X1 and PS4 multiplats be visually?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKayle

Banned
Have you been asleep this past gen? There's tonnes of examples where X360 versions were noticeably superior to PS3 versions (framerate, resolution, effects, AA, etc).

"This could be the first time this happen"?

I really, really want some of what you're smoking.

this coz ps3 was so fuckin complicated to dev and port on....

not coz 3rd party developer (or at least 99% of them) want to develope a multiplat game taking care of each pecuriality of the systems

ekim

This isn't actually using multiple thread at the same time btw, the msdn entry is actually misleading, It would be better described as deferred contexts.

Reasonable overview here on stack overflow:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9691558/multi-threaded-rendering-in-opengl

it's similar performance to asynchronous uploads which are described here in openGL.

I hope your second performance boost isn't partially resident textures.

EDIT: some info on how to use Asynchronous uploads here:

http://www.opengl.org/wiki/OpenGL_and_multithreading

first: This wasn't one of those 2 at all :p
Sounds pretty much multithreaded to me:
you can create and use multiple deferred contexts simultaneously, each in a separate thread. Then, you can use those multiple deferred contexts to simultaneously create multiple command lists.

Skeff

first: This wasn't one of those 2 at all :p
Sounds pretty much multithreaded to me:

I know what it "sounds like" but i also know what it is and what it isn't. And it isn't truly multi threaded rendering.

EDIT: to clarify the threads need to be set up by the developers just as in openGL but using ID3D11Device::CreateDeferredContex so you actually do need to organize your own synchronization to a point.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Halo blew away Time Splitters and any other PS2 launch game, for example, clearly illustrating the power difference between those two systems. With supposedly an even bigger power gap this time, shouldn't it be readily apparent in the launch games?
Who said that? Can you find someone on GAF that said that, then we can have a proper mocking. I haven't seen anyone say that in the last 704 posts in this thread, though.

not coz 3rd party developer (or at least 99% of them) want to develope a multiplat game taking care of each pecuriality of the systems

You're missing the point. Early muitlplats didn't use cell to help the GPU out so we ended up with GPU vs. GPU for multiplats. X360 easily won out.

Given the new consoles share remarkably similar architecture yet have a GPU performance difference... do you see where I'm going with this?

In the case of PS4, devs won't have to do anything extra; the extra horsepower will simply be. So whereas the X1 versions might drop frames, it's likely PS4 won't if there's no differences between the two versions.

But please, continue to ignore a) logic and b) precedent and continue to meltdown.

THEaaron

Well, in case of more GPU power you don't need to go deep into the rabbit hole to get the extra performance out.

I think especially Watch Dogs and AC4 will show us why the extra GPU performance is nice to have.

Skeff

i think you are not being honest with urself

and i think you have no knowledge of hardware or the games development process and most of your posts aren't worth the bandwidth they take up, but those are both my opinion and your opinion.

TheKayle

Banned
and i think you have no knowledge of hardware or the games development process and most of your posts aren't worth the bandwidth they take up, but those are both my opinion and your opinion.

yes they are...but still quantum break.. ryse e forza are there and are not 40% worst in any way

DC R1D3R

Banned
There are numbers in this thread of what the exact (except for CPU) differences between the two platforms specification wise.

You know what? If the PS4 is that much more powerful, then fair play to Sony. All I'd like now is for them to go and find a Japanese studio (or two or three) equivalent to ND, next-gen.

Make dreams happen!

TheKayle said:
no i didnt but IMO (i repeat IMO) the in real time in engine look better than that one of the order

but it could come to a personal taste

I'd agree with that Kayle. QB looks highly impressive!

I think we will see differences at launch and it will become more obvious as the generation goes forward. Launch titles may not show much difference though, but I feel there will be a few titles at launch with visible differences. It's almost impossible not to pan out that way, considering each platform will be optimized independently. It's not like they will just take the Xbone code and slap it on the PS4 and be done, I don't even think that is possible.

Skeff

no i didnt but IMO (i repeat IMO) the in real time in engine look better than that one of the order

but it could come to a personal taste

If your only interested in, "in engine in realtime" you need to look at the dark sorcerer, and keep in mind that it is using a ps3 engine and based on the old 4gb devkits, as well as quantic dreams history of improving between tech demos and games.

TheKayle

Banned
If your only interested in, "in engine in realtime" you need to look at the dark sorcerer, and keep in mind that it is using a ps3 engine and based on the old 4gb devkits, as well as quantic dreams history of improving between tech demos and games.

it look damn amazing but is still a tech demo..:(

im very doubtfull that we could ever have a game like that ..with this two console..this gen

now or in 5 years

Guymelef

I got them without any comment.
I can just use my limited understanding but it seems like all things disclosed and undisclosed work perfectly in concert at least on paper. So for me, one decision makes more sense after reading about the other decision.

You starting to sound like Reiko, who was really trolled by private messages.

It's crazy to think that people thought that Kara demo from Quantic Dream was a glimpse into next gen and here we are with Beyond Two Souls looking better than that tech demo on a PS3. Dark Sorcerer is crazy to think we will achieve that level of fidelity or better for the PS4 in game.

im very doubtfull that we could ever have a game like that ..with this two console..this gen

now or in 5 years

You are woefully underestimating Quantic Dream, they have defied expectations time and again.

Skeff

now or in 5 years

It was running in realtime in engine on a ps4, it was interactive on the e3 show floor where a developer actually paused the scene and moved the camera around, that is the quality of future ps4 exclusives.

velociraptor

now or in 5 years
If anything, I have more faith that TDS will look more closer to it's original footage than Quantum Break will. We've had no realtime/in-engine footage of the latter.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I know what it "sounds like" but i also know what it is and what it isn't. And it isn't truly multi threaded rendering.

AFAIK, this is also purely a driver issue, not a hardware issue. The driver, not the application, prevents race conditions caused by concurrent resource access by scheduling commands accordingly. The way the GPU processes those commands should not be impacted by that.

TheKayle

Banned
If anything, I have more faith that TDS will look more closer to it's original footage than Quantum Break will. We've had no realtime/in-engine footage of the latter.

the trailer of QB was in realtime /in engine..
from remedy website

"Our Creative Director Sam Lake took the stage at the Xbox One @ E3 event and introduced new material from Quantum Break, running real time in-engine."

but yes i admitt TDS is amazing

as it is beyond two souls (that i loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee)

but very distant from the kara tech demo..

if QB remain on that lvl (and after alan wake i have my doubts too)...well would be such a masterpiece (at least graphically talking)

Alej

Banned
yes they are...but still quantum break.. ryse e forza are there and are not 40% worst in any way

So much meltdown for this. X1 will be fine, it will have good and pretty games.
Multiplatform will look worse very often on X1 because it won't demand any effort to push the PS4 this time (so enough comparing with PS3, please).

PS4 is indeed more powerful than X1. It's not those small upclocks that will shorten the gap. The GPU inside PS4, coupled with the superior RAM architecture already offer a world more of possibilities for devs. Then, the CUs PS4's advantage with the 8 ACEs largerly makes for the very small (9% indeed) disadvantage CPU wise compared to X1.

Finally, stop bringing Shape into the discussion. Shape is there because of the media capabilities of the box. If 360 embarket a blu-ray player (or HD-DVD back in the time) in 2005, you bet 360 would had something like Shape in it. It's not a ZOMG SECRET SAUCE at all, but just hardware needed to support the X1's new media capabilities.

Let it go, stop the meltdown. If you are upset MS didn't go after superior graphical capabilities this time, buy the "superior" (for your taste) platform. X1 clearly isn't what you want it to be.

Durante

But that's just the point: given what we know of the architecture of PS4 and XB1, particularly if you don't spend a lot of time coding to use their peculiarities, the former will simply give you better performance.

This one's tough to answer, not because the PS4 isn't expected to be superior because it's obviously the more powerful hardware, but because the question isn't "IF", but "How Much".

1) As some have already pointed out, the PS4 not only has the brute force power but it's also the easiest architecture, this gives the PS4 an advantage for un-optimized code which is what you get at launch since games were being built on a moving target.

2) Most games this gen were built with the 360 as the lead, this gave 360 an advantage with multiplats. This upcoming gen things are changing. With PC gaming gaining lots of traction, most multiplats are now being built for the high end PC, then ported down to consoles. Watch Dogs, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4... you name it, these games will perform best and will look best on the PC, then the consoles will do their best to replicate the original.

Now here's the tough one, how faithful will PS4 and Xbox One replicate the PC versions of these superior games? I think this gen right out the bat we're going to get a clear answer of what the difference in power translates to. The PC will show us what these games are supposed to look like, while the consoles will do their best to replicate them. Head to heads will have a lot more meaning this time when comparing PS4 and XBO games, and one could say XBO has a bigger learning curve, well sorry but that's part of the equation, if your console is harder to take full advantage, then tough.

TheKayle

Banned
So much meltdown for this. X1 will be fine, it will have good and pretty games.
Multiplatform will look worse very often on X1 because it won't demand any effort to push the PS4 this time (so enough comparing with PS3, please).

PS4 is indeed more powerful than X1. It's not those small upclocks that will shorten the gap. The GPU inside PS4, coupled with the superior RAM architecture already offer a world more of possibilities for devs. Then, the CUs PS4's advantage with the 8 ACEs largerly makes for the very small (9% indeed) disadvantage CPU wise compared to X1.

Finally, stop bringing Shape into the discussion. Shape is there because of the media capabilities of the box. If 360 embarket a blu-ray player (or HD-DVD back in the time) in 2005, you bet 360 would had something like Shape in it. It's not a ZOMG SECRET SAUCE at all, but just hardware needed to support the X1's new media capabilities.

Let it go, stop the meltdown. If you are upset MS didn't go after superior graphical capabilities this time, buy the "superior" (for your taste) platform. X1 clearly isn't what you want it to be.

ps4 will have the edge....i cant be bored to say this again and again its clear
the gap IMO will never be something close to the 30% claimed here on gaf...and will be traslated in some fps or some better aa or other things
not day/night differences

no shape isnt there JUST for that..just like move engines and other coprocessor are there to complete the architecture of that machine...that is created to work all together and is different form the ps4...if we continuet to compare gpu to gpu ...cpu to cpu ..etc etc

we will have 15 co processors that cant be compared with nothing on the ps4...and taking them alone dont make sense at all...

if u dont see this (as lots of ppl dont like to see) .i cant help

I really don't see the difference with all of the games we have seen so far. If the hardware was truly that much more powerful, why wouldn't the launch games bear that out?

Halo blew away Time Splitters and any other PS2 launch game, for example, clearly illustrating the power difference between those two systems. With supposedly an even bigger power gap this time, shouldn't it be readily apparent in the launch games?

The power gap this time isn't going to be anywhere near as noticeable as the PS2 and Xbox. All you need to do is look at Splinter Cell Chaos Theory on Xbox vs the PS2 and Gamecube to clearly see the difference in power. Never mind the fact that the PS2 would never have been able to run games like Doom 3 and Half Life 2 which is why they only went to Xbox. I'm sure this time anything PS4 can handle, The XB1 will handle fine with little to no compromises.

Alej

Banned
Context for TheKayle's tag:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=562169

The secret sauce was too tasty, so he changed his mind again.

So much drama for nothing...

No one commited suicide because of 360's multiplatform advantage over PS3
(i might have because of mighty holy wizards PCs, though!)
. We should expect the same this time (/thread).

ps4 will have the edge....i cant be bored to say this again and again its clear
the gap IMO will never be something close to the 30% claimed here on gaf...and will be traslated in some fps or some better aa or other things
not day/night differences

What's a 30% gap on screen? You already answered but yeah, some fps, some better aa and some other things. IQ and framerate are significant things when you see all the meltdowns about that these days.

no shape isnt there JUST for that..just like move engines and other coprocessor are there to complete the architecture of that machine...that is created to work all together and is different form the ps4...if we continuet to compare gpu to gpu ...cpu to cpu ..etc etc

we will have 15 co processors that cant be compared with nothing on the ps4...and taking them alone dont make sense at all...

But you need to understand that not-all of this is there for gaming. In fact, the majority of those are there because of that 500$ media box that is X1.
Two reasons behind those custom solutions are: DDR3 and Media capabilities (that have to be much more advanced than those cheap cable boxes).

if u dont see this (as lots of ppl dont like to see) .i cant help

Yeah, i figured i'm not alone on this. But you should note that i'm platform agnostic in general (even if i'll only buy PS4 because of my modest budget) and i don't want to be rude against you or X1 in general. Then, you should stop manipulating the facts to suit your desires, it doesn't bring anything to the conversation and then make you sound like a fanboy.

so let me say this

you expect that a 3rd party multiplats devs push more the differences between this two console than a first party dev?

this could be the first time this happen

i was saying ....first party games dont show any difference and most trust than the most big next gen graphics "game"..is ryse...

QB looks amazing. Ryse looks really good. So does Forza. We can't really do like for like comparisons on them though. Infamous arguably is more impressive than any of those though, (at least in what we've seen so far) because it seems to have characters of the quality of those titles, but with a large open world with lots of destructible elements.

and I've seen nothing on the Xbone that I'd put next to Resogun.

3Pe9.gif

Credit to paradise circus for the GIF, naturally.

That my friend runs at 1080p and 60 fps. That is hundreds of thousands of physically modeled cubes colliding and interacting.

jet1911

The power gap this time isn't going to be anywhere near as noticeable as the PS2 and Xbox. All you need to do is look at Splinter Cell Chaos Theory on Xbox vs the PS2 and Gamecube to clearly see the difference in power. Never mind the fact that the PS2 would never have been able to run games like Doom 3 and Half Life 2 which is why they only went to Xbox. I'm sure this time anything PS4 can handle, The XB1 will handle fine with little to no compromises.

The gap will be more apparent in the exclusives. Even this gen it's apparent, the top tier PS3 exclusives games are more complex than 360 games. The same will apply to the PS4 vs X1 exclusives I think.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
What shame some put themselves through.

Let the games do the talking but the PS4 is a powerful and efficient console. You can bet devs will leverage the benefits but we're just getting started. I hope some have common sense to know that devs have barely started working with these platforms. There is a lot of upside coming in the next few years.

TheKayle

Banned
What shame some put themselves through.

Let the games do the talking but the PS4 is a powerful and efficient console. You can bet devs will leverage the benefits but we're just getting started. I hope some have common sense to know that devs have barely started working with these platforms. There is a lot of upside coming in the next few years.

if u is pointing at me and you being serious .i remember you that ...we are talking about gaming consoles...

and im here for fun not coz at the end of the day defending xb1 or ps4 give me the food to eat....

theres pretty much no shame on a forum that talk about videogames and consoles

Alej

Banned
That my friend runs at 1080p and 60 fps. That is hundreds of thousands of physically modeled cubes colliding and interacting.

Nothing says X1 couldn't handle that though. The two platforms will be greatly above that in some times. It's just launch software.

PS4 AND X1 are underutilized at this time. It will take a year to have games that truly exploit what's inside the machines.

We are just seeing what a jump in hardware should bring in the table right now, what is now "permit" and not permitted with current hw, but not what those could really do when exploited.

There will indeed be a gap between X1 and PS4 (and i think, from the get go), but the gap between those launch attempts and the real attempts in a year or two will be far greater. X1 when fully exploited will be pushing more things than KZ:SF or Infamous:SS, even if PS4 will push that even more.

if u is pointing at me and you being serious .i remember you that ...we are talking about gaming consoles...

and im here for fun not coz at the end of the day defending xb1 or ps4 give me the food to eat....

But shame is fun!
and my avatar even more

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I remember the time... TheKayle was in full dual-APU mode back then. :D
It's fun to read old threads. You see the same faces as you do today minus some greys we lost.
We have people that were 100% wrong and the exact opposite of what they claimed with authority occurred.
A few ate crow, but the majority did not.

I was wrong about the Xbox One having better specs than it does as well. I was hoping. Didn't pan out. Shit happens.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

You are but one of the people I'm talking about.

Let me also say this, it's hard to read your posts and take you seriously without proper punctuation or grammar. If that's you in the avatar then I know you're of age. Your opinions are bullish and normally supportive of MSFT. Couple that with your grammar and I have a hard time not scratching my head. I respect the fact that English may not be your first language but there's only so much slack I can five for that.

That being said, I don't agree with most of your views and I've been more complimentary of MSFT recently. That doesn't mean I will ignore other things or where we've been the last few months with MSFT.

You know what it feels like with MSFT? Like someone who just wants to say a bunch of things and hopes some of it sticks. Like the kid who wants to be part of the cool crowd and says, "look guys, I can do this too." They should have been with the program from the get to on some of these things and are still behind so the current situation is better but definitely doesn't leave them without some criticisms.

But shame is fun!
and my avatar even more

image.php

ekim

It's fun to read old threads. You see the same faces as you do today minus some greys we lost.
We have people that were 100% wrong and the exact opposite of what they claimed with authority occurred.
A few ate crow, but the majority did not.

I was wrong about the Xbox One having better specs than it does as well. I was hoping. Didn't pan out. Shit happens.

I really love reading this thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468776

Especially in regards to always-online :eek:

edit: funnily enough - everything except the HW details were spot on. (The alpha kits probably had 2 GPUs and a 4-6 core CPU)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom