• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombs Dota 2 Beta TNT Livestream [4PM PDT, Midnight GMT]

oLbV1cJ.png

Dec

Jeff seems really annoyed about this DOTA stream existing at all.
Or is there some sort of inside joke going on that I'm not familiar with?

Wires also mean low latency. You don't want to use wireless devices in competitive multiplayer.

No, Jeff is just really bad at any competitive game and has some sort of hate for all esports.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
can I just express again how much I love Giant Bomb's royalty free music selection? lol

Voshond

Neo Member
The expert guest didn't do that much to convince them.

They seemed really interested in special heroes like Phantom Lancer, so it was disappointing to see him describe Meepo as "a joke character with clones" or Invoker as "a wizard with spells".

The expert guest didn't do that much to convince them.

They seemed really interested in special heroes like Phantom Lancer, so it was disappointing to see him describe Meepo as "a joke character with clones" or Invoker as "a wizard with spells".

Well that's the thing - he didn't seem very knowledgeable himself. Maybe he was trying to really dumb things down for them/the audience, but they certainly would have perked up if it was explained that Invoker plays like doing combos in a fighting game for example.

Dec

He's decent at many fighters, and is the fighting game guy of the crew.

Sure, but it's more like he's decent at a couple, and since they all have similar mechanics, he isn't terrible at others. I wouldn't say any of the GB crew are good at any competitive game, but it isn't what anyone comes to the site for so it doesn't matter.

Playing competently and being good are pretty different.

Jintor

Sure, but it's more like he's decent at a couple, and since they all have similar mechanics, he isn't terrible at others. I wouldn't say any of the GB crew are good at any competitive game, but it isn't what anyone comes to the site for so it doesn't matter.

Playing competently and being good are pretty different.

I think the idea of being a good fighting game player, especially with patches these days, probably requires too much single-game-exclusive focus for most gaming journalists

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
To be fair, I'm pretty sure the "expert" was just a guy from gamespot who actually played the game.

I'm definitely not going to knock on him. It gave someone for Patrick and Jeff to talk to who could answer questions. If anything it gives me a bigger appreciation about the people who professionally do commentary for the LoL matches.

Dec

I think the idea of being a good fighting game player, especially with patches these days, probably requires too much single-game-exclusive focus for most gaming journalists

Yep, when it comes to any game like that really. I just kind of wish someone on the staff would put the effort into learning Dota like Patrick has put into MH. Hopefully Brad sticks with it and gets there.

la_briola

Brad just standing at his tower with full hp/mana and ulti. His team is literally fighting next to him and he just watches! MAN UP BRAD! Help your team!

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Brad just standing at his tower with full hp/mana and ulti. His team is literally fighting next to him and he just watches! MAN UP BRAD! Help your team!

I've only played GoME, but it takes a bit to get comfortable leaving the safety of the tower. One of the most terrifying things as a new player is pissing people off because you're feeding.

la_briola

I've only played GoME, but it takes a bit to get comfortable leaving the safety of the tower. One of the most terrifying things as a new player is pissing people off because you're feeding.

I get this, but his hero is like a Zangief in Street Fighter terms and the Sniper is like Evil Ryu.
The first can take quiet a beating, the second one dies pretty fast. His team is very understanding though, which I find nice. He just needs to be with his team a little more.

Zoibie

Add me on steam if you need an invite and I'll play a couple games with you if you want!

Sure! PM me your Steam ID. I managed to find a code bot but I'll almost certainly need guiding through my first couple of matches at least.

Top Bottom