• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter x Hunter Community Thread - OSU!

Mr Git

Huh. I wonder if Camilla has a split personality or just acts like a doofus on public.

Affable facade I reckon. Easier to get away with snide stuff that way.

I loved this chapter - good to get a refresh on all the princes and countless bodyguards. Tserreidnich is gonna have some frightening nen. Chrollo was eeep

Eh, the fourth prince gaining nen so quickly was utterly predictable. I don't particularly like it. I think if he is much of a combat threat to say Kurapika, it will be a pretty weak move by Togashi.

The pacing so far is a little slow for my liking, definitely interested to see what chrollo and the Phantom Troupe do now. It is really going to change the dynamics of the situation. Also, I think Kurapica is being a bit too oblique with his planning. He should have just assigned Bill to shadow her at all times and established some sort of cryptic communication between them. What he is done is wasting his own power, which is the key to any success they have...Still, they are running short on men,

The potential of a Kurapika/Chrollo interaction is interesting. I don't necessarily want them to fight though. Just a few shocked faces and "I'm overflowing with rage" faces.

Snakeyes

Side note: How the hell do you pronounce his name? It's "Tserīdonihi" in Japanese, but is Tserreidnich anything remotely resembling a real world name?
Tsay-reed-neeh (the H is not silent). It's not an actual name but wouldn't look too out of place in a Slavic country, as a last name.

DrD

Chrollo just wanted a vacation with all his friends 😢

I hope Slacker and Babymania can survive the journey together with good teamwork. I’m sure they’ll make it far.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Kurapika gonna die before anything can happen because of Emperor Time

Seriously, he's in huge trouble at the rate things are going. There doesn't seem to be a single bug on his deck, he might need Leorio to bring one up at this rate.

Tsay-reed-neeh (the H is not silent). It's not an actual name but wouldn't look too out of place in a Slavic country, but only as a last name.

This one makes the most sense to me. I've been saying Tsay-reed-nick.

Really hoping Madhouse is ready to answer this question definitively in ten years.

Euphony

Banned
Watch Togashi pull another Gon and Meruem moment where Kurapika never meet Chrollo on the ship because of the rest of the stuff that's happening around them.

SoulUnison

Banned
I'm starting to think Hisoka may have killed more members of the Troupe

There's a good chance they're all dead. Chrollo looks bleak as fuck.

If Togashi offscreens the Troupe I'm not really sure how the hell I'd feel about that.
Also, whats the timeframe from Shalnark and Kortopi to the departure of the Black Whale?
Would Hisoka have ever even had the time to track down and off any more Spiders?

Narratively, Chrollo VS Hisoka served to show us Black Voice and Gallery Fake, so it didn't feel like too much story potential was lost when Shalnark and Kortopi were taken out. (Although I really liked the juxtaposition of Shalnark's weirdly upbeat/friendly personality and his membership in the Troupe, and wanted to learn more about his motives.) Kortopi was easily the most disposable Troupe member both narratively and from a combat perspective.

I guess you could make the argument that every Troupe member that appeared in Meteor City during the Ants arc is in danger, since they've already shown at least a little of their Hatsus.

Kalluto has some plot armor due to being a Zoldyck.
Feitan and Bonolenov have complicated Hatsus that the series specifically points out we've only seen part of.
Phinks and Shizuku are in the most danger, as they showed their Hatsus and don't really seem to have much to expand on.

Then the rest:
Nobunaga's basically safe because we've never seen him do anything beyond En.
Machi has ties to Hisoka so she'd most likely be saved for last, besides Chrollo, and wouldn't be off-screened, though perhaps her fight might be a flashback.
Franklin's a wild card. We've seen his Hatsu and it's pretty straight forward, but he's barely a presence as a character.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm liking Togashi's version of Game of Thrones much more than the actual Game of Thrones at this point.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Cross-posting from the anime thread:

I'm up to episode 7 but I'm really bored. It just seems like the sort of generic shounen I wouldn't even watch at age 12. How long do I have to go till it gets better?

LotusHD

Banned

I'm up to episode 7 but I'm really bored. It just seems like the sort of generic shounen I wouldn't even watch at age 12. How long do I have to go till it gets better?

I don't remember, but keep watching anyways :p

At the very least, HxH definitely laughs at the thought of it being described as a "generic shounen".

In episodes 9-20 there are things that definitively don't go as a traditional fighting shonen, with more emphasis on cool intellectual challenges than normal fighting, but it's episode 39 where a more complex, more intriguing story arc starts.

I honestly don't understand why Kurapica has yet to engineer a scenario where he can meet the 4th prince. The guy doesn't have a clue who he is. I suppose it is because he doesn't want to get implicated, because the Phantom Troupe are still in his sights...?

Don't worry, the narrative soon switches to Tonpa, and the series improves.

It gets way better after the Heaven's Arena arc so just give it some time. Togashi just seems to like starting his series slowly.

Philippo

I honestly don't understand why Kurapica has yet to engineer a scenario where he can meet the 4th prince. The guy doesn't have a clue who he is. I suppose it is because he doesn't want to get implicated, because the Phantom Troupe are still in his sights...?

Because he's a cautious guy, in a situation where everything is out of his control. He's waiting for when he have enough of a grasp of the situation and is able to plan carefully. Plus Kurapika is still a nice human being, and is actively thinking about Oito and Wobble's safety.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm just glad Kurapika had a moment finally where he was like,"Maybe this wasn't such a good idea for a power"

Plus Kurapika is still a nice human being, and is actively thinking about Oito and Wobble's safety.

This. If HxH has taught us anything, it's that tragic children can derail the best laid plans. Kurapika holding Wobble was his "Meruem pondering the potential of the child he killed" moment.

There's a pretty good chance he'll be made to choose between exacting his revenge and securing Wobble's safety at some climactic point.

Kyuur

I mean, HxH is good but its still shonen. Maybe if you gave some examples of shonen that aren't generic to you or what you are finding generic about HxH?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Most of the shows you're thinking of ape HxH. Also it doesn't get amazing til the Hunter's Exam ends.

kirblar

The show is deliberately aping the pacing of shows you would watch as a 12yo.

Stick with it. The trick to the show is that show's genre completely changes w/ each new arc.

HxH starts as a kids show...then it just stops being a kids show. The transition is hilarious. "Indoor Fish? What the fuck does that even do....OH MY GOD!!"

kadotsu

Banned
HxH starts as a kids show...then it just stops being a kids show. The transition is hilarious. "Indoor Fish? What the fuck does that even do....OH MY GOD!!"

THAT was the point for you? Not ripping out the heart of a killer that ripped his victims with just his hands or casual amputation?

Because he's a cautious guy, in a situation where everything is out of his control. He's waiting for when he have enough of a grasp of the situation and is able to plan carefully. Plus Kurapika is still a nice human being, and is actively thinking about Oito and Wobble's safety.

Yeah I get that. I suppose he could have engineered a situation from the beginning where the fourth prince noticed him. He seems to meet random women fairly frequently and Kurapica can cross dress. On the other hand, he didn't get to him before this trip and is stuck with the current unfortunate scenario. But yeah his a nice guy, and Togashi has put a lot of handicaps on him right now. I suppose otherwise his power is too powerful for many of the current lot, although Chrollo and likely the other spiders on board means that the fight for the throne is likely to be ripped open at some point...

THAT was the point for you? Not ripping out the heart of a killer that ripped his victims with just his hands or casual amputation?
I had come that conclusion at the heart ripping yes, but Indoor Fish sticks in my head really well. That death was just brutal, like Chrollo hated the fucking dude.

woopWOOP

Most of the shows you're thinking of ape HxH. Also it doesn't get amazing til the Hunter's Exam ends.
I liked it near the end when all the background characters were flushed out and there were only 20-something distinct candidates left duking it out.

The Trick Tower bit in the exam arc is such a drag tho, even more so in the '99 version. I was about to drop it if it went on like that for a couple more episodes.

SoulUnison

Banned
So, just for the record, the 4th Prince...
It's pronounced roughly "ss-aired-neek," right?

Wow, that's actually pretty tough to try to write out phonetically.

Togashi Drawing Kurapika

Not sure if this has been posted but pretty cool to see.
But Togashi can't draw...I saw this a couple of weeks ago and love the use of water colors. I've really gotten used to his drawing style with his current release of the manga.

Ep100:

Seeing Killua manhandle a bunch of low level ants is great. So he only has a 57cm En? I hope he can get some training to expand that radius.

Ep 101:

Ikalgo would play the shit out of Splatoon. Killua vs the Nen dart players is one of the best Nen fights. It's absurd as fuck, but showcases how Nen fights are more about brains than straight brawn.

...Pretty sure there was some more trivia I was gonna tell you about around here, Jaded, but can't seem to put my finger on it at the mo'

Anyway, finally acquiring my first HxH volume. While Togashi may not create the best manga art of all time, I still really love his line work and shading (when that happens), and want to imitate it well enough as I could in my own art

...Pretty sure there was some more trivia I was gonna tell you about around here, Jaded, but can't seem to put my finger on it at the mo'

Anyway, finally acquiring my first HxH volume. While Togashi may not create the best manga art of all time, I still really love his line work and shading (when that happens), and want to imitate it well enough as I could in my own art
You are like a HxH encyclopedia, I hope you remember it. I have the first three HxH volumes. I need to start reading those, but I think I want to read my Berserk first.

Ep 104:

I love Komugi and Meruem's Gungi interactions. This shit's going to hurt again isn't it guys? And yeah Cheetu's dumb as fuck. Morel can read his ass like a book.

caliph95

You are like a HxH encyclopedia, I hope you remember it. I have the first three HxH volumes. I need to start reading those, but I think I want to read my Berserk first.

Ep 104:

I love Komugi and Meruem's Gungi interactions. This shit's going to hurt again isn't it guys? And yeah Cheetu's dumb as fuck. Morel can read his ass like a book.
Cheetu could have been a powerful motherfucker considering his speed and being an ant but he doesn't really think things through and is impatient ends up being easy to outsmart and comes up with useless or impractical techniques

Cheetu could have been a powerful motherfucker considering his speed and being an ant but he doesn't really think things through and is impatient ends up being easy to outsmart and comes up with useless or impractical techniques
Yeah he's technically powerful, but he lacks the intelligence to apply it properly. He thinks less than Gon does, the way Morel beat him was hilarious. Morel just thought up a plan for beating him while Cheetu was reading manga. Morel was too nice though...the Zoldyck's had no time for his nonsense.

Top Bottom