• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'I really regret my vote now': The Brexit voters who wish they'd voted to remain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theecliff

Banned
I'm not sure if they're factored in to that total or not. It was in reference to the poster's comment about the EU subsidising his education, where in reality Britain heavily subsidises the EU.
i was meaning more from the perspective of the EU helping support research in university but i apologise for not specifying that in my first reply.

and from the perspective of education and the nhs i'm more scared of the implication of who is now in charge combined with leaving the EU rather than just the leave. britain's current governance has shown it doesn't give much of a shit about helping support education and has slowly been picking apart at the nhs. the people given power by the leave vote are just going to make it worse. farage has already back-pedalled from the whole "we can fund the nhs with the EU money instead".

1.1 million people signing a petition for another vote is hardly surprising when over 16 million people voted remain and it didn't go that way. If however 1.1 million people who voted leave had changed their mind, well that would be a different matter all together.

I am very much for remaining in the EU but it does need some huge changes to the way things are run. If we are supposed to be in this together then we actually need to be in this together and each country has to help each other so that together we can all have a thriving economy. Unfortunately there is too much greed involved in politics to allow that to happen.

Moosichu

so that's like what, three people? stay mad remainers lmao

A BBC journalists was reporting a majority of leavers in Manchester saying that. There's defo a wider trend. Even if only 4% of leavers regret their vote.... well, that would have swung it the other way.

Moosichu

The NHS if they send people to the EU back is in a lot of trouble. most of the workers are european.

That isn't true. But the NHS does rely on immigration to be sustainable as the government has slashed medical training within the country.

Edit: Sorry for double post!

Metroxed

Like which one? I highly doubt that there exists a single country that hasn't relied on immigration at some point, even in the past 50 years. (although that's clear goalpost moving, but whatever)

It's happened in all countries, but in some it is far more recent. Spain only started actively receiving migrants in the 80s and it did not become mainstream until the mid 90s.

Joni

A BBC journalists was reporting a majority of leavers in Manchester saying that. There's defo a wider trend. Even if only 4% of leavers regret their vote.... well, that would have swung it the other way.
It is enough for 800.000 Leavers to have voted Remain.

MikeyB

I'm sure doctors will be fine. Where do you think that support for your education comes from, exactly? Taxpayers. And the UK pays significantly more into the EU budget than it gets back.

What it pays into the budget is only a part of the cost benefot analysis. You have direct, indirect, and induced economic activity resulting from EU membership that you need to take into account. It looks like people have tried to do so and there is no consensus. Some claim that membership costs the UK 3% of the GDP, while others claim that it benefits the UK by 9% of the GDP.

The most accurate statement of the cost of belonging to the EU is that the cost is unknown.

The UK voted to leap into an abyss on the basis of cherry picked numbers.

Moosichu

What it pays into the budget is only a part of the cost benefot analysis. You have direct, indirect, and induced economic activity resulting from EU membership that you need to take into account. It looks like people have tried to do so and there is no consensus. Some claim that membership costs the UK 3% of the GDP, while others claim that it benefits the UK by 9% of the GDP.

The most accurate statement of the cost of belonging to the EU is that the cost is unknown.

The UK voted to leap into an abyss on the basis of cherry picked numbers.

Some "scientists" claim global warming is a myth.

If people are so ignorant they vote against their own good... Then we as a society have failed to educate them properly. Or in this case, we as a society INTENTIONALLY spread misinformarion and lies.

Sure those who spread these lies are not the good part of the society, but they still are part of us. Only fault these "ignorant voters" have is that they were naive enough to believe what they were told.

And many people offer "don't let them vote" as a solution...? I do not see how that makes any sense. Real culprits are those who spread misinformarion.

Baybars

Banned
Some french and german folks are saying this brexit thing is not so bad because apparently the UK has been holding them back and the prospect of seeing london companies moving to the mainland eu countries is salivating.

I'm sure doctors will be fine. Where do you think that support for your education comes from, exactly? Taxpayers. And the UK pays significantly more into the EU budget than it gets back.
Yes, we take out less than we put in. But that argument is disingenuous as it ignores the fact that the net benefit to the economy and the tax revenues generated makes that figure look like nothing.

Remain failed to get this across. The cost of the EU is almost nothing when the benefits are considered. The 'we'll spend thus money on other stuff' was a straight up lie as the treasury will lose huge amounts of money. This will mean greater austerity, but at least we have our country back.

As someone at university I fear the brain drain. Loads of people I know are considering leaving and they weren't before.

So basically some people want to vote and vote again till they get their way?

No, merely to substantiate leaving is what people actually want. What’s wrong with one more re-vote to confirm considering what’s at stake when the split is so close? You telling me that 51% is representative and not divisive? That there’s no voter remorse out there? Or people have no right to change their minds? I bet the turnout will be significantly higher than 72% too. Isn’t that more representative?

No, merely to substantiate leaving is what people actually want. What’s wrong with one more re-vote to confirm considering what’s at stake when the split is so close? You telling me that 51% is representative and not divisive? That there’s no voter remorse out there? Or people have no right to change their minds? I bet the turnout will be significantly higher than 72% too. Isn’t that more representative?

Where doesn't stop? If you re-vote now are you also going to re-vote after every close election?

ElyrionX

The average voter in any democracy is an idiot but it is an unsubstantiated assumption that the average leave voter is more ignorant than the average remain voter.

I know many well-informed and educated voters who voted leave.

Journalists are mostly idiots who only look for headlines. People need to stop believing all that they read in the press.

Joni

The average voter in any democracy is an idiot but it is an unsubstantiated assumption that the average leave voter is more ignorant than the average remain voter.

Aside from the correlation in education level? Higher educated voted Remain, lower educated voted Leave.

ElyrionX

And what if the next vote is just as close but with remain winning. And then you have all these unsubstantiated headlines about "voters' remorse" again? Another re-vote then?

ElyrionX

Aside from the correlation in education level? Higher educated voted Remain, lower educated voted Leave.

And where is your data? Pre-poll sampling does not count.

And what makes you think the less educated people are wrong or irrational? They voted for what they think will be better for themselves. That is perfectly rational.

The fact is, nobody knows what will happen to the UK economy from here. Economists have completely no idea what will happen to any economy a year from now. What makes you think they have any idea what a huge structural change like this will do to the UK economy? They just think they do and speak as if they do but no, they really have no clue.

Regginator

And the guy who just don't understand how things work.

Either that, or the guy who is selfish enough to look the other way.

People are losing jobs and the business are closing down, just to show EU what a masculine of a man you are?

"Masculine of a man"? That's extremely sexist of you to assume my gender while you don't even know me. Or, wait, this is a gaming-centric website so I must be male, is that it? You're disgusting.

It's an awful idea to revote things, it dampers peoples faith in the voting system where a result is made, but someone tries again because it didn't go their way. So they just don't bother voting, so you end up with a vote and result made out of less representation, which is a poorer vote.

1. This assumes Leave was the 'wrong' choice and Remain was 'right', so it's bollocks. Is like spinning it to say "Haha look at these twats who all went to Univeristy and don't even know Leave was the right choice".

2. Educated people tend to have a different quality of living to less educated, so the EU pros and cons affect them differently, which of course can created a different opinion which skews different ways. Neither is 'wrong' for their own situation.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
And what makes you think the less educated people are wrong or irrational? They voted for what they think will be better for themselves. That is perfectly rational.

Ignorance.

It's the same thing that happened in America where people said they hated Obamacare and then when asked if they would support the Affordable Care Act, they said yes.

hoos30

I wonder if the inaccurate polling which predicted heavy favour for remain had an effect on peoples' mentality. The underdog Leavers are pushed to try their hardest while the presumptive victor sleeps in and stays home because it's rainy outside anyway and we're going to win anyway so what the hell.

I hope not too many voters decide to cast a troll vote in favor of Trump because of the lulz. If enough of them live in the swing states, then who knows if that could make a difference.

I don't know that much about Euro politics, but i haven't seen one pre election poll yet that was even close to accurate.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why not redo it? If they redid the vote I'm sure it'd be 'stay' by a good margin. Isn't that the point? Okay you fucked up, does a whole country suffer because of it? Learn from the mistake and go back. Who stops that from happening? Is the EU not going to let them back? I'm sure it sucked for them to leave in the first place. Just vote again and act like it never happened.

*im drunk and it's 4am. When I wake up I better see several posts telling me why that's impossible and what an idiot i am.

Frankly Farage flat out lying about some of the things in the leave campaign like the 350m per week should be fraudulent enough to justify a do-over

LOL, I heard from a friend that his family are shocked at how quickly things are being moved along by Europe. They thought they had at least 2-4 years before anything would really change.

I...I just can't.

ElyrionX

Ignorance.

It's the same thing that happened in America where people said they hated Obamacare and then when asked if they would support the Affordable Care Act, they said yes.

And the average remain voter is assumed to be more well-informed?

darkwing

LOL, I heard from a friend that his family are shocked at how quickly things are being moved along by Europe. They thought they had at least 2-4 years before anything would really change.

I...I just can't.

Article 50 hasn't been invoked yet, it's business as usual until then

Aomber

Sounds right that they would regret it after they actually looked up what the EU is.

cLiVKxs.png

grumble

Some "scientists" claim global warming is a myth.

The cost here isn't ridiculous here, that is the professional consensus. It'd be more accurate to say that thinking that the uk's economy won't be negatively impacted is like climate change denial.

FeD.nL

A referendum is just asking for stupidity. People vote to put people they trust into power so that they can make informed decisions on important matters, not making uninformed decisions themselves on these kind of things. What has happened in my own country with the advisory referendum about Ukraine and now this in the UK is just pure insanity, even if the outcomes would have been different.

hoos30

Nope. The U.S. is a two steps forward, one step back experience. It's basically cool thing, cool thing, really disheartening thing that makes you forget the two cool things, then two more cool things and you're always conflicted as to whether the two cool things were worth the one really horrible, disheartening thing, but ultimately you realize that the math adds up in the long run.
Larry Sabato couldn't have described the U.S. any better. Bravo.

Joni

And where is your data? Pre-poll sampling does not count.
Some fun statistics on those: 66% people who left school at 16 voted for Leave. 71% of those with university degrees voted to Remain.

brexit-big-five.png

With the small addition that the Remain side was armed with an army of economists and the like saying how this would be bad for everyone.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's not a unusual to require a supermajority when changes to the constitution are made https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermajority

Considering the significant effect this will have on the UK a supermajority would make sense to me. Simply makes the whole affair less fickle and ensures that the majority is absolutely on your side.

This section from your link
Parliamentary procedure requires that any action of a deliberative assembly that may alter the rights of a minority has a supermajority requirement, such as a two-thirds vote.

Does that not apply here? Why was a supermajority not required for both this and the Scottish referendum?

One thing I vow to do before I leave this country is to film a documentary series called Leave....was it worth it? Where I go up and down the country 5-6 years from now, asking former leave voters if they made the right decision.

Won't change anything, but it will make me feel better.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Some french and german folks are saying this brexit thing is not so bad because apparently the UK has been holding them back and the prospect of seeing london companies moving to the mainland eu countries is salivating.

Then the rest of Europe is fucked too. The French and Germans are very open about wanting closer political union, and many of the other countries have such relatively small voting power, or their economies are so reliant on a strong Germany and France, that they have to go along with things. Yes the UK was a pain in the Arse for wanting a focus on free trade rather than political union, but I think that is the correct approach.

Sorry Europe.

Its not just british people. Its happening in all of europe when people vote for right-wing parties which solutions would hurt the uneducated, who mostly vote for them, the hardest.

Happens here in the United States too. Right wingers in any nation are just scammers preying on the fears and ignorance of the lesser educated. I do hope British citizens start dropping lawsuits on the politicians that supported the Leave campaign.

ElyrionX

With the small addition that the Remain side was armed with an army of economists and the like saying how this would be bad for everyone.

And the "army of economists" have a fantastic track record in economic forecasting, including the results of this referendum, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom