• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: "Mario and DK haven't evolved since the SNES"

Randomizer said:
He was referring to the 2d platformers like New Super Mario Bros and DKC Returns.

NSMBW played its cards close to its chest, so to speak, by not really showing you anything you didn't see in the DS version.

DKCR on the other hand was a huge improvement over the last iteration.

Darklord

Banned
These titles don't have the added bonuses of HD graphics, online play, leaderboards, true 5.1 sound and the potential for DLC expansions.

I'd like HD SMG sure but online play? How about a reboot, those are popular! They can make mario more mature and darker. Put Peach in a skimpy outfit and kicks ass. Mario will have a phat tribal tattoo and gombas will be changed to alien mutants with tentacles and they spit acid. Oh and of course it will now be a third person over the shoulder view and to kill them you don't jump on their heads but use an array of melee and ranged weapons mixed with sick QTE's for the larger enemies like chomp chains(now with 4 eyes, spikes covering it's body and roars rather than bark).

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Thats it. Straw that broke the back. I really don't see any point to going to IGN for anything anymore. If their conception of game design is that shallow then there's really nothing of value they have to say.

olimpia84

HD graphics and online addition (in games like NSMB Wii) would be nice but the lack of those features doesn't change the fact that the current Mario an DK games are amazing.

Gustav

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Thats it. Straw that broke the back. I really don't see any point to going to IGN for anything anymore. If their conception of game design is that shallow then there's really nothing of value they have to say.

I find the ever quoted mantra of "games must be fun!" much more short sighted and shallow than anything in that article.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gustav said:
Fixed it for you.

That actually makes me appreciate NSMBW's looks even more...

Anyways, it's not like it's any better in FPS land:

25275.jpg

Gustav said:
I find the ever quoted mantra of "games must be fun!" much more short sighted and shallow than anything in that article.

When you're putting forth leaderboards and 5.1 as chief components of gameplay progression, you know you're writing a shit article.

Zabka

These titles don't have the added bonuses of HD graphics, online play, leaderboards, true 5.1 sound and the potential for DLC expansions
Zero to do with improving the gameplay that he complains about. Hilarious.

4rzxuo.jpg

Mik2121

Andrex said:
That actually makes me appreciate NSMBW's looks even more...

Anyways, it's not like it's any better in FPS land:

25275.jpg
That imagine reeks of ignorance. About as much as IGN's article..

The Technomancer

This quote here:
These titles don't have the added bonuses of HD graphics, online play, leaderboards, true 5.1 sound and the potential for DLC expansions.
literally reads like a troll post on GAF. Seriously, it was the kind of thing I'd expect from BurntPork before he raised his hands and said "caught me guys, I'm a huge Nintendo fan"

Shiggy

I love Mario, Donkey Kong and Kirby as much as the next guy, but it can't be denied that these games are selling gameplay that hasn't necessarily evolved since the NES and SNES eras, at five times the price of new and original games being released on PSN, Steam and XBLA. These titles don't have the added bonuses of HD graphics, online play, leaderboards, true 5.1 sound and the potential for DLC expansions.

It's not as if these retail titles have much more content, better gameplay and finetuning. I won't deny that HD graphics or online play would have been great and are true points to criticise, but leaderboards in a Mario game? Who wants that? Just as bad sounds the idea of DLC expansions - a completely new game is much preferred.

Turning back to PC, PS3 and 360, let's take a look back at all the brilliant games and developers that have helped to bring 2D storming back.

One company that really led the charge of the genre migrating from retail stores to the downloadable marketplace is The Behemoth. Exclusively focused on creating brilliant 2D side-scrolling throwbacks, the developer has released some of the best 2D platformers of recent years.

Huh? Isn't there quite a difference between a small indie-studio with a title of much smaller scale and Nintendo's jump'n'runs?

Capsized, a steam-released game created by a two-man team at developer Alientrap, is a clever title soaked in atmosphere (and water). The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai was a game conceived and single-handedly developed by James Silva using Microsoft's public XNA development tools.

Never heard of them, but they definitely "helped to bring 2D storming back" ... oh wait

A similar approach was taken with the successful Super Meat Boy; a game that wears its influences on its grue-covered sleeve (hint: it has the same initials as another famous platformer), and focused its gameplay around speedy mini-levels that required incredible timing and skill, while still being immediately familiar to anyone that's ever played a Mario game.

Super Meat Boy to be the next Mario confirmed?

And btw, Nintendo's platformers are not full-priced, they cost 10 € less. At least NSMBW, DKCR and Kirby cost only 39 € in Germany.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Mik2121 said:
That imagine reeks of ignorance. About as much as IGN's article..

It's Cracked. At least they don't try to be anything other than linkbait. :p

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
kinggroin said:
Just playing devils advocate here. I imagine a game where enemies jump into the main plane from behind you? I imagine you can take advantage of 5.1 positional audio that way.

That's all I got.

I thought about that when I was typing but I couldn't think of a game where it'd actually be relevant. Yoshi's Island has those divebombing ball enemies, but they don't "jump towards you", they jump in the background and fall in the foreground, and so vertical positioning / doppler effect is really the only important stuff and insofar as you can do that, you'd do it with 2.1. YI also has the final boss fight that uses the Z-axis but again I can't really think of how I'd use it.

Can you think of any specifics games, levels, or enemies in 2d platforming that would actually materially benefit from 5.1?

(I'm not sassing you either, because like I said I thought about that when I was writing but concluded it was a non-case IMHO)

Gustav

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
When you're putting forth leaderboards and 5.1 as cheif components of gameplay progression, you know you're writing a shit article.

Well, your bolding would make his argument look that way, but you glossed over that he actually compared the gameplay to recent steam/xbla/psn titles.

...at five times the price of new and original games being released on PSN, Steam and XBLA...

Stumpokapow said:
... The thing that's crazy to me is the "true 5.1 sound". Really? In a 2d platformer? How could there be true 5.1 sound? The game takes place on a flat plane; sounds can only come from the left or the right. Why on earth would they benefit from 5.1 sound?

The Music maybe?
I'm not an expert on sound, I still use the TV's speaker :lol

Gustav said:
Well, your bolding would make his argument look that way, but you glossed over that he actually compared the gameplay to recent steam/xbla/psn titles.

The fact you're defending this article is laughable.

Stumpokapow said:
I thought about that when I was typing but I couldn't think of a game where it'd actually be relevant. Yoshi's Island has those divebombing ball enemies, but they don't "jump towards you", they jump in the background and fall in the foreground, and so vertical positioning / doppler effect is really the only important stuff and insofar as you can do that, you'd do it with 2.1. YI also has the final boss fight that uses the Z-axis but again I can't really think of how I'd use it.

Can you think of any specifics games, levels, or enemies in 2d platforming that would actually materially benefit from 5.1?

(I'm not sassing you either, because like I said I thought about that when I was writing but concluded it was a non-case IMHO)
Either way, you can rest assured in the obvious assumption that there is no way the author of the article gave it this much thought.

thefro said:
Super Meat Boy - 600k copies

New Super Mario Brothers Wii - 22 million

The market has spoken
Yes, comparing a new IP that is only available through downloadable services and is made by 2 guys to a game in the most recognizable video game franchise of all time is completely fair. Not to mention the fact that Super Meat Boy isn't designed to appeal to everyone and Mario is.

Then again, I'm sure you knew all of this.

GringoJB

DaSorcerer7 said:
Clearly, games being fun isn't enough anymore.

B-b-b-but I'm nervous about my dumb buddies finding out that I'm playing something just for fun, and that they'll give me crap about it!

I swear that's what it all comes down to a lot of the time anymore, even with "hardcore" games on Nintendo platforms. I had a bro-tastic high school kid tell me once that he wouldn't try Twin Snakes on the Gamecube simply because it was on the Gamecube... total peer group issue.

The Technomancer

I mean, its not even the actual phrase about DLC and such. Yes, more levels for a Mario game would be cool. Yes, I think Galaxy would have looked stunning in full HD. But the way the entire article is worded is completely ridiculous.

Also, the Super Meat Boy comparison seems a little unfair. It doesn't just have more content then most platformers, its up there for most content period in the entire generation. Its a fantastic anomaly, but it doesn't really show that "$10 games often have as much content as DKCR"

jgminto

thefro said:
Super Meat Boy - 600k copies

New Super Mario Brothers Wii - 22 million

The market has spoken
Super Meat Boy is the better game. This whole article is bullshit and Mario has definitely improved but Super Meat Boy is still the better game.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
jgminto said:
Super Meat Boy is the better game. This whole article is bullshit and Mario has definitely improved but Super Meat Boy is still the better game.

Well, let's not pretend Super Meat Boy is some trailblazer of platformer innovation. It has fantastic level design but its actual game design is basically a purified blend of NES platformers. That game is oldschool to the core.

olimpia84

jgminto said:

where's the :lol smiley when you need it? =/

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Ign said:
Do they get paid for writing stuff like this?

While much of this article is bullshit, some of it is most definitely not.

I'm not aware of many Nintendo games that have online leaderboards, DLC, HD graphics, or 5.1 sound.

There is no arguing Nintendo has generally been slowly pulled into the current world of videogames kicking and screaming.

Even 3DS games like PilotWings would have benefited greatly from online leaderboards, online play, etc. But they chose to do none of it.

olimpia84 said:
I actually agree with him. Super Meat Boy's only competition for the best 2D platformer of all time is Yoshi's Island as far as I'm concerned.

andrex said:
Well, let's not pretend Super Meat Boy is some trailblazer of platformer innovation. It has fantastic level design but its actual game design is basically a purified blend of NES platformers. That game is oldschool to the core.
I've never seen a NES game that plays like Super Meat Boy.

jgminto

olimpia84 said:
Do you doubt me? Super Meat Boy is better than NSMB in a lot of ways, especially the Wii version. Having to pay full price for that was ridiculous.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The_Darkest_Red said:
I actually agree with him. Super Meat Boy's only competition for the best 2D platformer of all time is Yoshi's Island as far as I'm concerned.

I've never seen a NES game that plays like Super Meat Boy.

No I suppose not, it's more taken from PC/Flash games like I Wanna Be The Guy.

Stumpokapow said:

In 2D platformers that actually exist? No, I can't see any inherent benefit to 5.1. But I had an idea of a 2D platformer set inside of a moving zoetrope where the player would control their character on a 2D field, but could manipulate the direction and speed of the zoetrope to go back and forth in the level, and I guess 5.1 could be used to give the player a sense that the circular world of the zoetrope is actually enveloping them.

jgminto said:
Do you doubt me? Super Meat Boy is better than NSMB in a lot of ways, especially the Wii version. Having to pay full price for that was ridiculous.

Did that have anything to do with his point though? He was saying that the general public are more than welcoming of full-priced 2D platformers.

I don't think the comparison was warranted, but neither was the "SMB IS BEST EVAR" post.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Stumpokapow said:

final boss battle in Super Mario World, but that's a very small instance.

Andrex said:
No I suppose not, it's more taken from PC/Flash games like I Wanna Be The Guy.
Well I think it's closer to Mario than I Wanna Be The Guy. It's probably closer to N+ than anything else, though. Have you played Super Meat Boy?

Shiggy

BruiserBear said:
Even 3DS games like PilotWings would have benefited greatly from online leaderboards, online play, etc. But they chose to do none of it.

That game was a cheap cash-in...they took a Wii Sports Resort minigame and made a short game out of that, trying to sell it for 40€...
That game would've greatly benefited from getting a proper budget...

The Technomancer

olimpia84 said:
Actually I agree. NSMBWii was fun, but SMB is the best 2D platformer I've played since the SNES days, and probably better. Pitch-perfect control, tight level design and a ri-godamn-diculous amount of content.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Stumpokapow said:
Super Meat Boy.
Er, you might want to take into consideration that stages in that game are fundamentally built to be cleared in 5-20 seconds.

Top Bottom