• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In celebration of Final Fantasy's 30th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I assume that PPSSPP won't run very well on my 2012 i5 laptop, but I guess I can look into it. I have a late 2014 gaming desktop PC build, but that's less convenient.

PSP emulation is noticeably less demanding than PS2 or Gamecube emulation so you might be pleasantly surprised. Just probably don't expect to run it at high settings.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I do have a PSP, but I haven't messed around with custom firmware in 5 years. I'm pretty sure it's just running official firmware at the moment. How hard is it to set up custom firmware these days?

I assume that PPSSPP won't run very well on my 2012 i5 laptop, but I guess I can look into it. I have a late 2014 gaming desktop PC build, but that's less convenient.
CFW is super easy to set up. I set it up with the topmost resource in the CFW thread and it turned out all right. It's as easy as flipping a switch on and off after that every time you power on. Just make sure you have space left on your memory stick for screens and stuff.

I set it up on a PSP 2000 but it looks easy on other models too.

I set PPSSPP up on a Lenovo T440p laptop (i5 Windows 7 at the time) at the time and it worked all right. It's less demanding, and it worked functionally well on the settings I have. Edit: yeah what Sub_Level said.

Aeana

I do have a PSP, but I haven't messed around with custom firmware in 5 years. I'm pretty sure it's just running official firmware at the moment. How hard is it to set up custom firmware these days?

It's as simple as putting a file on your memory stick, and then running it on PSP just like any other thing. Then you just need to install a screenshotting plugin, which is also just as simple as putting a file on your memory stick in the right place and editing a single text file.

Heropon

All the CFW talk reminds me that I installed it five years ago because of the last thread. Thanks to it Final Fantasy Tactics was playable and all.

Mcdohl

Reminder about the GBA versions (copy pasting an old post of mine):

Another reason why SNES with patches > GBA:

Even with the rom patches, the FF GBA ports have a smaller screen size, and that leads to less things on the screen.

There are parts of maps, battle backgrounds, etc. you will never get to see in the GBA version.

That impedes it from being the perfect experience.

Here are the comparisons:

SNES/PSX
70294.jpg

GBA
hqdefault.jpg

Look at the space below and above Atma. If the fact that there will be some pixels you will never ever see in the GBA version doesn't scare you, then go for it. Keep in mind this is also true for maps (outside of battle).

This is from FFV but you get the point.
maxresdefault.jpg

There are parts of the castle you never get to see in the GBA version.

In addition to that, some effects look less cool on the GBA too, and load times are best on SNES, quoting another GAFer:

EDIT: Apparently I've got you covered, Hesh.

I put together some frame-for-frame comparisons, hopefully this clears up a few things. Also I'd like to note that some colours may be slightly off (as in, not noticeable to the naked eye), due to emulators handling colours differently from each other. As well, to help with the process of gathering frame data, I removed the smoke effect layer on the town map gifs, in case anyone wants to point out how boring they look.

From left to right, the systems are Super Nintendo, PlayStation, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance (patched). I'm not even going to touch the mobile version because it's garbage.

Regarding COLOUR:

x2PMzBs.gif
wN82VV3.gif
26C2hXL.gif
jEIhPUJ.gif

The colours on the Super Nintendo and PlayStation version are close to identical, if not completely identical. The Game Boy Advance version is extremely brightened to make up for the lack of a lit screen, but the restoration patch brings the colours back to their original levels.

Regarding EFFECTS:

qTVIqzL.gif
sRm6H7C.gif
vMgSPnN.gif
RT4hdHd.gif

In the Super Nintendo version, the spell "Banisher" masks the defeated enemy sprite behind the effect layer as it's pulled off-screen. The PlayStation version, instead of masking the sprite with the effect, vertically removes the enemy sprite. The Game Boy Advance version is even worse, with the enemy sprite simply disappearing before the effect is pulled off-screen. This is just one example of effects being changed for the PlayStation and Game Boy Advance versions.

Regarding LOAD TIMES:

uValRez.gif
zngZTYH.gif
5PK17ii.gif
QM3sY9P.gif

The Super Nintendo has the smallest delay during a battle start-up (about 76 frames, or 1.26 seconds), while the Game Boy Advance version doubles that time (about 160 frames, or 2.66 seconds). Finally, the PlayStation version has the longest time to start-up a battle (about 256 frames or 4.25 seconds), which may also be skewed from using an image file, and may be longer if you're playing a disc!

Regarding THE REST:

The three remaining issues will continue to divide the fanbase for as long as they exist, and those issues are the translation, extra content, and audio quality.

The audio quality is simply better on the Super Nintendo and PlayStation versions, compared to the Game Boy Advance, no one will argue against this. It does come up however, when you start comparing the additional content from the Game Boy Advance version, and whether the audio quality is worth sacrificing for it. There is a patch for that as well, although as many users have noted, it still won't reach the levels of quality from the original. In the end, this boils down to how much of an audiophile you are, or whether you care about the extra content available.

The translation is a similar case. Some people prefer the humourous nature of the original Super Nintendo and PlayStation versions, while others will prefer the more literal translation that followed in the Game Boy Advance version.

PERSONAL VERDICT:

I'd choose the Game Boy Advance version with it's restoration patches since I prefer the new translation, and I like the extra content more than the audio quality. The Super Nintendo version is also a great choice in it's own right, though. Don't bother with the PlayStation or Mobile versions.

I started playing FFIV on a whim the other day, as it came with my Super Famicom (the seller bundled it with all three FF games and Chrono Trigger), and I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought it would be.

A nice touch I just noticed while playing is that the summons are slightly animated. There's only two images used, but it's a nice effect I don't recall carrying to FFV and FFVI, but I could be wrong.

kswiston

So on the positive side of things, it looks like I already had custom firmware on one of my PSP memory sticks: 6.60 PRO-B10

Is that good enough for my purposes? I'm guessing that I already have the screenshot plugin installed (because I did take screenshots in the last thread), but I will have to check. I will also have to figure out how to rip my UMD version of tactics (I remember that not being super hard), and look for that slowdown patch.

On the negative side of things, it looks like there's some crystalization going on in my PSP's LCD screen. It looks like faint water stain along the edges of the screen. Annoying, but it still works, I guess.

With any luck, I can get started into tactics and get a post up tonight.

Aeana

Yeah, that's fine.

Ripping a UMD is as simple as pressing the start or select button (I forget which) while on the XMB and switching the USB mode from memory stick to UMD, and then when you connect it to your computer via USB you'll see an iso file on there you can just copy off.

There are other ways to do it, some that rip directly from UMD onto the PSP itself, but they require extra programs.

BumRush

So on the positive side of things, it looks like I already had custom firmware on one of my PSP memory sticks: 6.60 PRO-B10

Is that good enough for my purposes? I'm guessing that I already have the screenshot plugin installed (because I did take screenshots in the last thread), but I will have to check. I will also have to figure out how to rip my UMD version of tactics (I remember that not being super hard), and look for that slowdown patch.

On the negative side of things, it looks like there's some crystalization going on in my PSP's LCD screen. It looks like faint water stain along the edges of the screen. Annoying, but it still works, I guess.

With any luck, I can get started into tactics and get a post up tonight.

Your posts have convinced me to fire it up as well. Vita here.

kswiston

Yeah, that's fine.

Ripping a UMD is as simple as pressing the start or select button (I forget which) while on the XMB and switching the USB mode from memory stick to UMD, and then when you connect it to your computer via USB you'll see an iso file on there you can just copy off.

There are other ways to do it, some that rip directly from UMD onto the PSP itself, but they require extra programs.

Rip in process.

Thanks to everyone who helped me get set up.

Your posts have convinced me to fire it up as well. Vita here.

I have a digital copy from PS+ way back when they added Vita support, so that was my original intent as well. Oh well, at least this will offer screenshots.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I love the transition to battle effect on the PSX version of FF6. <_<

Also, are we in agreement that FF5's GBA localization is much stronger than the original? Because I love the new translation so much.

Aeana

I love the transition to battle effect on the PSX version of FF6. <_<

Also, are we in agreement that FF5's GBA localization is much stronger than the original? Because I love the new translation so much.

"Original"? As in the PSX translation? It's not even a contest. The PSX translation is barely literate English.

Also,

OKENZhY.png

Kientin

Oh hey, I've been playing FFX and didn't know this was going on. Story is better than I remember it and I'm excited to finally be playing the international edition.

I did that long, in-depth playthrough of FF3 Famicom for the last thread, so right now I'm trying to decide if I want to do a repeat performance, or put the spotlight on FF2 instead. FF2 needs people to understand why it's cool. :(

Maybe both

You have my sword. FF2 PSX version is fun and I beat it, I can't say the same for FF4! I still have never beaten it despite having tried like 3 times. Now that I have the DS version on PC, maybe I should try again since that's the only good version of the game. :p

I did that long, in-depth playthrough of FF3 Famicom for the last thread, so right now I'm trying to decide if I want to do a repeat performance, or put the spotlight on FF2 instead. FF2 needs people to understand why it's cool. :(

Maybe both

Do FF2!

I've played and beaten all mainline, non-MMO FFs except FFXV in some fashion, including FF2 (Dawn of Souls) and FF5 to practice my Japanese. Hell, I played through FF2 while in Afghanistan, so it holds a special place in my heart.

For what it's worth, I agree with FF3 Famicom > DS, too.

Nice thread.

I'll probably replay FF VII in anticipation for the remake.
Other than that, maybe FF V? Never finished that game and WoFF got me interested to give it another go.

Link1110

FF games I've Beaten: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, 10
FF games I've played, but haven't beaten: 7, 8, 12, 13
FF games I haven't played: 11, 14, 15 (can you even still PLAY 11 or did they take the servers offline?

My ranking:
5 - 6 tie cause they're both perfect for different reasons
10 - A perfect battle system with a cool story. Maybe Tidus isn't everynody's favorite character but the game is really fun and this is a game I go back to a lot.

I listened to Suteki Da Ne so much at the end of my last relationship, cause it was unsavable at the end, and I knew it but I was trying and hoping beyone hope I could do something, but I knew it had to end, so not only that song but the theme of this game have special meaning for me.

Trivia: I actually dated one of the programmers that worked on the remake. Too bad a semantic issue that wasn't worked out near quick enough put an end to that, I really did like her. ("Dating" some one doesn't mean boyfriend/girlfriend, or am I just an idiot?)

Whoa… Didn’t mean to reminisce, folks.

3 - FF5 lite, and even though it lacks some of thr refinements 5 has, this is easily the first FF in its golden age (3-6) and the first one that still holds up in its original form. That soundtrack is one of the best on the NES, Uematsu NAILED it!

9 - The beginning is a bit too cvutscene heavy, and that prevents me from coming back to this one as much as I'd like to. Shame, since it's an amazing game that brought back the golden age for a mini renaissance (9-10).

4 - Maybe victim to Seinfeld is Unfunny these days, but that's a shame because this one is really fun with a story that broke lots of new ground in video games (and is the first really great FF story. Yeah, 2 had a decent story, but it was Star Wars.

7 - I tried it again recently, the pacing is almost Kojima-like. Too many setpieces that grind the game to a halt. Like I can be enjoying the gameplay, but then I go into a town and I'm just gonna be watching cutscenes for an hour.

8 - I tried this again recently as well, converting all the enemies to cards and being careful I don't kill anything. Kinda boring. Felt like Pokemon trying to catch everything, but I'm just not that big on Pokemon, and even when I do play it I don't try and catch every single wild Pokemon.

1 - I loved this game back in the day, but time has not been kind to it. Too grindy these days.

Memory time: I remember the first time I got to the vampire, and he said "All living things are born to die." That was early in the morning, and my manaster would die later that day. It was also 23 years ago :(

2 - It's a SaGa game, but that series wouldn't be polished enough to be ready until SaGa 2.FF2 is kind of a mess. If only they fixed that and polished the level system more in the remakes, could've4 been a masterpiece.

Fou-Lu

The first time I played FF was FFI on the NES. Long after my old brother was done with it, but still would not let me play it I snuck into his room while he was at school when I was home sick and 'borrowed' it. Pretended to be sick for a week so I could play it while he wasn't home.

My series rankings with the caveat that I think every game is at least an 8/10:

IX = VII > XII = X > VIII = VI > V > IV > XIII > III = II = I
9 = 7 > 12 = 10 > 8 = 6 > 5 > 4 > 13 > 3 = 2 = 1

XV is excluded until I have more time with it and to think about it. The rankings can shift quite a bit, but I would say this is typical of me. III is an odd one, sometimes I would put it above IV, other times I don't even like it as much as I and II.

I am such a huge FF fan, it's definitely my number one series in gaming overall. I have played and greatly enjoyed every mainline game (with the exception of XI which I just haven't played but would like to get through one day to see the story content). Yes that includes II, VIII, XIII and whatever other game people want to call trash. Also, the original Crystal Chronicles is my favourite multiplayer experience of all time!

I am pretty stoked for the 30th anniversary, I hope we get some exciting announcements and cool releases! Anything new that comes out I will definitely play!

Hmm, to play something I haven't played before I am either going to have to go spin-off, direct sequel or FFXI.

I predict throughout the year of 2017 I will play at least Crisis Core, Lightning Returns and FFX-2. Along with some good ol' FFXIV. I may play Vagrant Story which kind of counts. I will definitely play some more FFXV as patches and DLC are released.

I am not usually a fan of replaying games without at least a few years in between, but I have been considering replaying IV on steam (as I have never played the DS version) and IX on steam for the quality of life improvements and the fact that it may be my favourite FF game.

Any recommendations?

EDIT: Oh and I will definitely be playing the XII Remaster.

norm9

I'll share my memory of Final Fantasy IV (II in America). Seventh or eighth grade so the SNES is on full tilt with all the kids. I just recently purchased it along with Gradius III with my own money, the most expensive thing I have ever bought.

On the school bus, kid I kinda knew was talking about Final Fantasy and how it was the greatest and longest game. I was like whatevers, I had heard the same stuff about Dragon Warrior a few years back and couldn't even beat the slimes I encountered (I had no idea how rpgs worked at the time).

He let me borrow it for a week. That was the usual deal on games when I was a kid. You either got it for a day or for a week. I saw him everyday on the bus so he trusted me with it for a week as long as I promised not to break the game.

Beat it in four days. Non-stop playing. It was amazing. I woke up at 5am. Played for an hour before catching the bus. Came home. Played it while doing homework, while eating, and finished the game. It had the greatest characters I ever met in a video game (until I played FFVI a few years later). Made me fall in love with jrpgs.

I'm going to replay VI on SNES (first the first time since the mid 90s) and XII on PS4 this year. I'll take tons of screenshots/grabs and try to post frequently once I begin.

I finished FFXV last week.. and it was actually my first FF game ever.

I'm really not sure which one I should play next.

I'd love to try FFXIV somedays, but as I am playing World of Warcraft most of the time, I'd rather avoid playing two MMOs at the same time.

Any suggestions?

FFIX or FF VI

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
7 - I tried it again recently, the pacing is almost Kojima-like. Too many setpieces that grind the game to a halt. Like I can be enjoying the gameplay, but then I go into a town and I'm just gonna be watching cutscenes for an hour.

This is one of my favorite things about it, haha.

Loona

FF games I haven't played: 11, 14, 15 (can you even still PLAY 11 or did they take the servers offline?

XI is still available for PC, only the console versions are no longer active since March - SE just has a weird attitude of not bothering to promote the game outside of its existing player base, which feels messed up.

What are the chances of the mobile version of FFXI being released next year to coincide with the 15th anniversary of FFXI?

hard to say - the project's assigned to Nexon, but last time nexon did a presentation on their project about a couple of months ago they made no mention of it.

Thoraxes

Is World of Final Fantasy any good? I liked the demo but decided to save my money and wait for FFXV instead.

It's very good, provided the writing doesn't bother you. It's catered more towards an all-ages demographic, which tends to bother some people because the writing definitely reflects that.

Personally? I love it. Having a lot more fun with it than I did FFXV too. The battle system mechanics and monster systems are very tight, albeit straightforward.

The FF fanservice of all the characters interacting with each other is really fun. It's very endearing.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I am playing a Final Fantasy video game. I whined that I had no proper tank to heal for expert roulette so Corbo came on to tank for me.

Then he punished me. (He also took me into T12 to two-man and that was fun despite us hitting enrage lol)

ashasunblade12_17_201mjslv.png

Eos is good. There are many fairies like her but this one is mine.

May or may not start FF1 ironman tonight cuz other stuff came up or if no one else I'm gonna beg feels like it.

why did you post the picture of the best thing to come out of that translation and imply that it was the worst

aeana pls

Thoraxes

Also Final Fantasy XIV Heavensward just looks great. I'm glad it's optimized well enough for me to be able to run it at 4k. (I downsampled some of the screenshots because of upload filesize limits).

Gurnlei

I've been working my way through the games since last year on PC.

Beat III, IV, VIII and X. Working on X-2 with IV:AY on hiatus (couldn't force myself through it). Played XI from NA launch (Relth on Phoenix) and started XIV around 1.0 (Thor Odinson on Cerberus), still play both.

By far my favorite game series.

From that thread five years ago:
With the exception of FFV I played all of them to some extent, but only beaten a handful. The only reason I never played V was coz I dont actually own a copy of...but thanks to PSN I can now play that too.

The ones I'm really wanting to play through and the platform I own them on:

XIII - PS3
VI - GBA
IV - PSP
XII - PS2
Ones I've not beaten but I'm not as eager to play:
I - PSP
II - PSP
III - NDS
V - dont own, but will buy on PSN
Already beaten
VII - PSX
VIII - PSX
IX - PSX
X - PS2

Since then ive beaten I, IV, VI, VII, X, XIII and im currently 60 hours into XV.
I hope to play through II,III and V going forward, got II and III on Vita and V on my phone and will pick up XII remaster on day one.

Square2015

I found the SNES repros for FF4~6 were the best versions to play, especially for FFVI. The new Ted Woolsey (uncensored) retranslation is perfection, not to mention being able to boot up your SNES and see the original VI logo (amongst other things that were changed).

MoonFrog

Played: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XII, XIV
Beat: I, VI, VII, IX, X
Got to Boss of Game and Quit: V, VIII
Got a Good Ways In: II, IV
Didn't Get Far: III, XII
Never Played: XI, XIII, XV

I like all the ones I've beaten, as well as II, IV, V. Only one I've played that I actively dislike is VIII.

VII was one of the first games I played to completion as a kid, especially among games of its length. It is my favorite, partly because of this, but I also think it has held up well against the others I have played since. I've beaten the game twice, and played a large portion of it again.

I liked I a lot. IDK. I also like the NES DQs a lot, when I went back and played them. I like NES JRPG when it has been modernized for SNES+. You get the simplicity of the narrative and game structure, without the difficulty and grind of an NES game. I've played this all the way through once, and played a substantial portion of it a second time.

I came to VI late (as I did most of these) and within the context of the internet VI versus VII debate. I like the game: I like its cast, I like its music, I like its iconic moments. I don't think VII is some graphics pushing, debased successor to this game. VII is very much in conversation with VI and Chrono Trigger. I don't get the great divide in the community over these two games. I don't think VI is particularly deep for a JRPG, or VII particularly shallow. I see continuity and evolution, rather than a break from the past; I don't get the narrative surrounding these two games.

As to IX, I like the world-building, the ability system and dedicated roles, and a significant portion of the cast. I'm not a fan of Zidane. I'm not a fan of the sci-fi twists near the end.

I like X a lot. I like the battle system and the dedicated roles of the characters. The end is terribly balanced, Jecht has god awful music, and, while I like the tight narrative of this game in particular, it is a first sign of the issues Square has translating 2D/PSX Final Fantasy scope to PS2+ generations.

I don't care about beating the boss of VIII. I don't like that game. I'm sad about V. Played that with my sister and we just sort of rushed wily nily into the final dungeon and got stuck there without succor. I want to play this game again and actually finish it some day.

I forget just how far I got in II, but I know I put several hours in. Went back to replay it and my PSX copy would just freeze at the dreadnought on PS2. I was substantially farther than that in the original run. I want to beat this game some day.

In IV, I lost steam in the kingdom of dwarves on PSX. Like above, this was not helped by graphical glitches I encountered playing it on PS2 (or was it PS3?). I want to beat this game some day. Maybe I'll try the DS version.

With XII, I got to this cave that was like a temple in I think it was a snowy area. Some guest had recently left my party (think he might have been associated with that sky place?). GAF has me wanting to retry this game: I always liked some of its world building but I didn't like the battle system and I didn't like the world map approach. I think I'll get the remaster.

I have no recollection of III, but I played a bit of it on DS.

I don't think I'll ever play XI. I am morbidly curious about XIII and got XIII-2 on Steam from that SE easter bundle last year.

I'm going to try XV this holiday. I have low expectations going in, but I sense some promise that I hope shines through despite development hell and despite my misgivings about design decisions.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Final Fantasy XII is the true masterpiece.

I replayed XII a few months ago and it's definitely one of my favorites. I'm already excited to go through it again when the Remaster comes out.

Currently replaying Final Fantasy 13 and playing 13-2 for the first time. Coming off the heels of XV, I've finally learned to appreciate 13 more. Yeah, it takes over 20 hours before the game truly opens up but the battle system is so satisfying.

13-2 is weird. I just nod my head at all the time travel stuff. But Serah and Noel are better characters than I expected.

Played through every FF main title and beaten them all except 13.

My favs, from best to worst: 4,6,11,9,12,5,1,7,10,3,15,8,2.

Oh. I haven't played 14 much, so I'm not adding that either.

I really disliked 8. Haha.

Mq and tactics were fun too.

I'm also a sucker for record keeper.

kswiston

Kicking off my year will be a play through of Final Fantasy Tactics, commemorating the game’s 20th Anniversary. After some help from Aeana, Dark Schala, and others, I have the PSP version up on custom firmware to aid with screenshots. I also installed patches to remove spell slowdown, and get rid of the screen stretching (the original game was 4:3 ratio, but I believe they stretched it to fit the PSP’s widescreen ration).

While I am not doing a speed run, I do plan on moving through the game rather briskly in terms of playtime (time taken in real life might be a different story). As such, some ground rules:

1) I’m not going to do the end game optional dungeon
2) I may do some of the side quests (some are fun), but probably not everything.
3) I will make use of God mode
Orlandeau
in the later part of the game
4) I’m not bothering to steal the Genji gear, and will generally cheese some of the later levels where height can be exploited.
5) A bit of JP grinding is OK, but I’m not going to go crazy on the random battles

While this is an old game I guess I should mention:

****THIS WALKTHROUGH WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS****

I will try to keep from giving a play by play of the entire story (which is worth experiencing), but I will be making some general comments. I'll try to keep most of my writing focused on the actual gameplay and mechanics.

I plan on writing my play through with the assumption that people reading know nothing about the game. Hopefully those who do still find it interesting. I don't claim to be a top level FFT expert!

So let's start. Oh, and to get into the spirit of the thread, here’s a status banner I’ll use for my playthrough:

YlbAeip.png

TUTORIAL LEVEL

A94JDz8.png

This was my old nemesis from the very first time I played Final Fantasy Tactics (1998).

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I died on this level the first time I played the game. I have no idea how I managed to do so. It should have been easier to die in real life from boredom. You basically learn to move, rotate the screen and attack. You can only control Ramza, and therefore spend 10 minutes watching the computer beat the level for you, getting in 2-3 hits before it’s all over.

Speaking of Ramza, while I always keep his canonical name, I set his birthday to my own (March 6th). I don’t know why, it’s sort of a habit at this point. Ramza is actually my favourite Final Fantasy lead protagonist. He's the son of a famous Knight, and spends the entire game sticking up for friends and family, and generally doing what he feels is right. He's not moody, dense, or hyperactive like many of his counterparts in the numbered games.

Ramza's best friend is Delita. Delita is a common born son of members of Ramza's father's court. The opening cutscene for the game informs you that Delita becomes a major historical figure, while Ramza is forgotten and excommunicated. You spend 40-70 hours figuring out why.

BATTLE 1: Gariland

Here’s my party selection going into the first battle.

7q13zUq.png

I like to start with two chemists and two squires in addition to Ramza, choosing a male and a female of each for some nice balance. While I don’t play the game often enough to confirm it, I’m pretty sure names and bravery/faith levels are random on each playthrough. If you don't like the units you get, you can buy/recruit new generic ones after this battle.

I try to grab units with decently high bravery stats. If possible, I also try for high faith stats on the chemists. If you are new to FF Tactics, Bravery affects how often reflexive skills trigger (those will show up later), as well as the damage of some classes (like the Monk I believe). Outside of a couple instances (some of the tavern missions), higher is usually better. If your bravery is too low, your units can turn into chickens (and even leave the game out of cowardice if it gets to 5 or less). Faith affects spell damage/healing and how much damage/healing you take from spells. As it goes up, both increase. If your characters get to be too faithful, they can leave the game to become religious zealots. You get warnings before that or the cowardice criteria come into play though. Also, there’s several ways to raise and lower these stats later in the game.

oUnba2c.png

So the first actual battle is straight forward. You need to kill some ruffians, and surprise, surprise, their group also consists of squires and chemists! This fight is easy. Your squires and Ramza attack. Your chemists heal with potions if needed. Otherwise, they can attack as well. Your best bro Delita will do his own thing.

ePqbHGc.png

And that’s that!

whAb7PU.png

Check your noble privilege Ramza! Most of these no deceased bandits probably turned to crime because they were sick of going hungry to fund your Dad's warring, and didn't want to die on a flea-ridden mattress on the dirt floor of some hovel without a gil to their name.

With that battle out of the way, let's take a closer look at my party. These will be my main squad mates before the cool special units invite me to sit at the popular kids' table (at that point, I'll just send them on tavern missions).

Here's Ramza:
iu733hm.png

My general character progression strategy for Ramza is to make him into a superhero. Eventually, he'll be able to attack twice, scale tall buildings in a single leap, and many other cool feats.

The Squires:

yt1agmV.png
JbMIwlk.png

Angelet and Dawson will be my physical units in the first portion of the game. Some maps will only allow me to take 4 units instead of the usual 5. In those instances, I will probably leave one behind.

The Chemists:

RHrPxTz.png
Z24JIcP.png

Dalmas and Frideswide (that's a mouthful) will be my magical units. To get into the spirit of the sexist 90s, Dalmas will focus on attacking magic to start, while Frideswide will be my healer. OK, the real reason for this is that I dislike the way female black mages look, but female white mages are super cute. Much better than their goofy male counterparts anyhow:

Speaking of attacking magic, it looks like Dalmas can class change already. I'm going to slip him into those Black Mage robes before the second battle:

dV8swth.png

When you change jobs, make sure you learn some skills (I had to reset when I got to the battle screen and realized my awesome black mage had no magic...)

Ix447QP.png

Black Mages are ranged AOE spell casters. Magic in Final Fantasy Tactics is very powerful, but comes with a turn delay as you perform the spell. Depending on the spell and your character attributes, this can be anywhere from 1 to over 10 turns. As such, make sure you check the turn roster before deciding to cast magic. A well placed black mage spell can hit up to 5 enemy units (in reality, 2-3 is more likely due to spacing). However, you can also hit your own units, so you need to avoid wiping your team to hit one baddie.

BATTLE 2: Mandalia Plain

IlETzOU.png

Before we get to the actual battle, we are treated to a cutscene. Being a JRPG we should conclude that Ramza's same sex parent is either dead, or will be dead shortly. This is confirmed in a mood setting father deathbed flashback!

BVzU0Kb.png

Once you finish reminiscing about dear departed dad, it's onto the second battle. And look what we have here. More bandits. And this time they have a hostage!

H5SYuNW.png

You sometimes get dialogue choices that can affect the battle objective for the map, as well as lead to bravery bonuses (or penalties in once instance I believe). If I chose to save Argath, it will be game over if he dies in the battle:

Kg92V22.png

Overall, this map is also easy. If you choose to save Argath, make sure to keep him healed. He doesn't really value his own life, and will try to fight 1 against 4 instead of retreating towards your units.

This map introduces us to our first monster enemy (a panther in this case). Monster enemies can be some of the most annoying foes in the game. Especially on the random battle maps which scale to the level of Ramza. We will see more of them later.

For now, keep Argath out of trouble and take down anyone with a blade. You'll notice that the enemy forces will start to include advanced units. If you have a black mage by this point, magic comes in handy for getting out of reach enemies. If not, just attack, and keep your health up via potions from your cleric.

After the battle, Argath will introduce himself. Spoiler alert: He's a douchebag.

zVDHqSt.png

Like most douchebags, he thinks he's a superstar even though we're a bunch of 15 year olds.

a3p3Q18.png

Ramza's big bro thinks otherwise

tUzmXYm.png

There's a lot of cutscene set up surrounding the first couple of maps. You find out that Ramza has two older brothers and a younger sister. Your buddy Delita also has a younger sister (every JRPG hero needs one). Said sisters are color coded for your convenience. Beoulves are blond, and Delita's sister is brunette

zTfVGWj.png

And no European renaissance period analog is complete without a little class discrimination:

cPmNlbl.png

Now that all the cutscenes are out of the way, let's take an initial look at the job system:

qXU3Aq7.png

Your characters can learn active attacks/magic, reflexive skills, and passive skills by taking on a job (class) and earning JP by completing actions in battle. As you earn JP, you will also level up your current job. All jobs have levels from 1 to 8. As you level up a job, you will earn more JP for your actions. Advanced jobs are unlocked by meeting the level requirements of pre-requisite jobs. For instance, I was able to change my cleric to a black mage because my cleric reached job level 2. Job levels are separate from character levels.

UdoMyII.png

If you are playing this game for the first time, keep this handy:

With that, you can plan your character progression based on the jobs you want to unlock. I suppose it is possible in theory that some players will wish to discover new jobs through happy accidents, but those people are crazy. Look at the requirements for the Dark Knight class (new to the War of the Lions version). No one is discovering that by accident, unless they are playing for hundreds of hours. Since you can switch jobs on the fly outside of battles, there's no harm in experimenting!

The job system wouldn't be nearly as fun if you could only use the skills of your current job. Every character can equip that active skills/magic of one class (in addition to their current class which your can't unequip).

caVCQDn.png

On top of that, you can equip one reflexive skill (performed when an enemy attacks), one passive skill, and one movement based passive skill (which typically changes your move or jump stat, allowing you to navigate certain terrain easier).

For now, I am going to keep Ramza and my physical characters as Squires, even though some of them can move to advance classes. There are several squire skills that are worth learning, and will make the beginning section of the game easier. In fact, I would recommend that even the magic based characters spend some time as squires to obtain these skills. Luckily, in addition to earning JP towards your current class by performing actions in battle, all other characters receive 1/3 the value of JP earned by their teammates. Having a bunch of squires early on will make it easier to get these useful skills.

Let's take a look at some I would recommend:

P6Ku06v.png

Above is a list of squire active skills for Ramza. Ramza is actually a special squire unit, so he will get some unique skills in later chapters of the game. For now, the most important skill on this list is focus.

Focus: Focus allows you to boost your base attack by +1 during battle. You can keep doing this each turn for further boosts. What makes focus essential is that you earn exp and JP by casting it. There's typically 1-2 "dead turns" at the start of a map as you get into position and move towards the enemy. This allows you to earn much needed JP while making these turns, and you also have the added bonus of hitting harder when you actually reach the baddies.

Throw Stone is also somewhat useful in the early game, as it gives your physical unit a weak ranged attack, but that isn't a priority.

l7OTDD7.png

Above are the passive skills for the squire. Most classes will include a passive skill that lets you equip a weapon type that another class cannot natively use. For now, all you care about is JP boost.

JP Boost: Self explanatory. When this passive skill is equipped, you will earn more JP. This will be super useful for character progression in the early game, when you are trying to unlock classes and get specific abilities.

JKbeB4f.png

Squires also have a movement skill that boosts their movement range by 1. You can probably figure out why this is useful. Later you will get better movement skills, but it is good for early game.

-END PART 1-

Thanks for reading the long first installment of my playthrough if you made it this far. As I naturally get through the basics of the game in the first few maps, I will probably move through the maps quicker. Foundation is important though!

Heropon

I found the bravery/faith stats a bit annoying when I played through FFT, I didn't like my squishy mages being burned alive just because they believed in fire. But compared to other systems it was pretty tame, I mean...

y30HC7R.png
4KxE472.png

Yellow and red cards for everyone!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
15 is an interesting bag though. It seems like a lot of newcomers love the game, the oldies can be a mixed bag. Many say it's a beautiful mess of some sort.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hello! I am starting an Ironman playthrough of Final Fantasy I. Let it be known that this is a run that is very likely to fail! The rules are in Red Scarlet's thread from years and years ago. I had attempted a run early last year (?... I don't remember), and failed hard because of a curse.

I named my FF1 dudes after my main group in Final Fantasy XIV. We're in the same FC and we're technically kind of a "static" cuz we made a point to 4-man and finish Coil together earlier this year. Oh and we all met via GAF years ago. All of us don't post much anymore (or at all in some cases). Three of us posted in the last playthrough thread, with me an' Corbutt probably contributing a ton to the post count.

lLYk7MG.png

wtf how did corbutt beat me

Anyway, if you read my FF4 and Final Fantasy Mystic Quest playthroughs, you'll probably know I make fun of everything. Even stuff I like. I couldn't do it for 6 because... well, I have the Professor Beef opinion of FF6 and I'm not sure how well people take jokes these days. So I'm going to do the same thing for FF1 here. I think I might only supply 1-2 playthroughs for this thread but I could change my mind. I wanted to do one up for FF3 because I heckin' love that Famicom version but I feel like Aeana would do that one more justice than I would. I dunno if I want to revisit FF2 right away cuz I felt like I was playing it twice while teaching Noi how to play the game like a normal human being. I feel like if I did FF10 for this thread I'd be a little more scathing than some would like, so maybe that might not be a contender. I dunno. The last thread was pretty important to me cuz I made some really good friends out of it.

ANYWAY! FINAL FANTASY ONE! IRON MAN! PREPARE TO DIE EDITION!

F...K... in my coffee, I can bring this back!

1tfItny.gif
Prelude

(Everyone knows the story about how Uematsu came up with the Prelude in 10 minutes cuz they were like "uh we need a title theme". We're all experts here.)

The ironman rules are plain and simple:
  • everyone is a white mage
  • no upgrading to white wizard; that is cheating and Not Cool. You don't want to be uncool.
  • once a character is KO'd, that character is permanently dead. everyone else will have to drag the dead people forward and back
  • being turned to stone also counts as dying
  • no saving allowed unless you play the famicom/nes version where you have no choice! no resetting once you save. deal with sleep mode or leaving your console on, bro!
The Famicom version is harder than the other versions. The Giant Gauntlet is lol, I get 100 gil per finish for the slide puzzle, spell charges!!!!!!, air whiffing!, hit % gain is slower, everything is expensive, etc. But I'm a hard M. I can take this.
Until I run into a WarMECH like last time.
Did I also mention that I love 8-Bit Theatre? I love 8-bit theatre!

This was my last playthrough, starring Corvo, ShockingAlberto, Noi, and me. Everyone died. We dragged Corbutt around for a bit, then ShockingAlberto died, then Noi and I died to the WarMECH.

YYT4B5V.png
EOvxE1L.png
sZf147w.png
MSg3Oo2.png

It sucked and I will forever blame Noi for cursing me for it! This is secretly the reason as to why we are dating!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am starting this game fresh using the same rules, same setup, and crying every time I run into monsters even if I could manipulate encounters in my favour. This is the reason why I like FF1 more than I originally did. This is Ironman, brehs!

2SQobQs.png
hR9iH2y.png
2GEOM5X.png

I love my group, btw. They are great.

Final Fantasy One plops you right in front of a town! Wow, that's the game actually implicitly giving you a sense of guidance. Like, wow, there's a town. Maybe I should go into it. Well, we're not gonna do that yet. Going into towns right as you start is for sissies. We want to be Strong Independent White Mages Who Don't Need No Tank. There was also some prophecy about ORBs. Heck yeah, ORBs!

1tfItny.gif
Main Theme

Types of encounters differ based on where you are relative to Corneria. ...Cornelia. Whatever. I'm calling it Corneria because that is the version of the game am I playing and I am more familiar with these names to be honest with you. Look do you want "I, Garland, will knock you all down", or do you want "&#12371;&#12398;&#12288;&#12460;&#12540;&#12521;&#12531;&#12489;&#12364;&#12288;&#12369;&#12385;&#12425;&#12375;&#12390;&#12367;&#12428;&#12424;&#12358;&#65281;/I, Garland, will destroy/vanquish/whatever you!" or whatever he said in the original version? That's dumb; I want to be knocked down.

I like this map construction for an NES game, though. It's simple, but it does its job. You're plunked right in front of a town where a player will implicitly realize "maybe I should go there first and get some information". If you do that, you're geared up, given an objective and are ready and raring to go with potions and a level 1 team.

utoUKjU.png

It's also a straight leading path to the dungeon since the bridge doesn't get built until after. It's a good tutorial section for the game even if some enemy formations are legitimately "what". But if I were playing a normal playthrough I would have a character who can outright hit things and I would have a healer/potion dispenser somewhere in the lineup, so it's evenly balanced for that make up and some of these enemy formations (well, maybe not the asshole 9 enemy formations depending on your potion/spell situation).

The terrain is also surprisingly diverse: a forested area, a marsh, and a regular grasslands area in one go. It's a nice way of conveying to the player that this world has some sort of diversity as opposed to being outright green everywhere or just like Minelvaton Saga or something. Oh don't play Minelvaton Saga; it kind of sucks despite having a good idea and I was laughed at for playing it :(

oQ8IJrP.png

South of Corneria is where you encounter IMPs in x3-5 formations. x3 is nothing. x5? Well I hope you don't run into one of those as you start the game, friend!

gDVPmZm.png

North of Corneria is more diverse. You get IMPs in x3-5 formations, WOLF (1-2) + GrIMP (3-5) formations, GrIMP (1-4) + IMP (3-6) formations, and MADPONY x1 formations! Aw hell yeah. That's what we want. Only we're level 1. And we suck. And we have no money.

Well, you know what this calls for. A Battle Montage.

1tfItny.gif
Battle Scene I

OAjInQP.png

IMPs look like shitty versions of Link from The Legend of Zelda. And they're the most basic of mooks you'll ever take down. I mean look at them. They're made of one segment of the entire colour palette, have scraggly hair, and look like they were raised in a barn. Don't let those dudes take you down, dignified White Mages. Conjurers. Whatever you are. HARM won't save you, so shove 'em with your stick.

wjzJozp.png

GrIMP! Fuck GrIMPs. They had some other translated name in the form of Goblin Guard in later versions but no one cares about that name because it's boring. Do you know why GrIMPs are dumb? It's cuz they're purple, have "Gr" in their name, and they're only a little stronger and have a little more HP than regular imps. What a fraud!

lh6QJQ5.png

WOLFs are those things that shitty IMPs turn into like it's Twilight Princess (please note that my lore is not canon don't sue me). WOLFs get mucho worse later on when they're joined by their palette swapped brothers. They appear in packs. Almost all the time. If we had a Black Mage along, we COULD theoretically put them to sleep but um this is Ironman, and Black Magic is Not Allowed.

mXHQKM9.png

MADPONYs have the coolest name ever and man look at this sprite though. They're kind of rare before Garland is defeated but after that? All over the place, like they decided that it was a good time to have all the babies in the world after that.

007yVXk.png

I also encountered CREEPs this run in the marsh area, too. It is weak to fire. Well too bad!

The fact of the matter is that in an ironman run, you wanna buy your spells, and you wanna have money. I have no money. I have no spells. I have nothing! But we want to be cool White Mages who don't need anyone else and can tank an entire raid themselves, so we gotta Toughen Up.

w7CxN7d.png

We also have the Legendary Enemy Formation.

I just need to restart the run first cuz man running away from the battles where I just took those enemy shots made me feel dirty inside because I Don't Run Away in RPGs. Retreat is for suckers!

lLtfI14.png
mjxX9er.png

Basically I made it to level 4 before calling it a night. Oh boy, and I have money to get new stuff tomorrow.

15 is an interesting bag though. It seems like a lot of newcomers love the game, the oldies can be a mixed bag. Many say it's a beautiful mess of some sort.
I have nothing positive to say about that game, really.

Sounds divisive, like every FF game.

At least we can all agree that FFV has one of the best Job Systems in the whole series. Hell in JRPGs in general.

MilkBeard

I installed FF VIII on my other laptop and continued from my cloud save on steam. I think I'll try to play through that game in the meantime. I've never actually finished the game, I've always gotten near the end and then stopped.

Concurrently, I'm playing a little bit of Terra Battle every day. I know that's not Final Fantasy, but it's a Sakaguchi game dammit.

All this while I wait until I can get set up to play FF XV.

MilkBeard

Looking back at my experiences with Final Fantasy throughout the years, I would say my opinion mirrors this about many FF games. The only games I really hold incredibly high are FF VI and VII (and Tactics...almost forgot ;) ). Everything else is a mixed bag of "that's really great" and "that's not so cool" or "that's kinda rushed". FF VIII is like this for me.

Granted, they fit that experience for very different reasons.

Kain

Been playing FFT on my phone lately and it's an amazing port I have to say. The slowdown is gone and the touch controls work perfectly. You can even move the camera freely, that's amazeballs. Also the graphics look great.

This game is just too good, Matsumo is great.

Top Bottom