• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: First Light |OT| Make Fetch Happen

Wasp

I'm not a fan of the way the game gives you the Endless Light Speed dash from the very start. It should be something that's earned after completing the story, not given to you from the start.

It makes the game so very mindless and braindead. Your next objective at the opposite side of the city? Just point in that direction and hold O and wait as Abigail effortlessly dashes over every vertical and horizontal surface, no thought required.

I remember when the inFamous series used to have a navigation aspect to the gameplay.

I'm not a fan of the way the game gives you the Endless Light Speed dash from the very start. It should be something that's earned after completing the story, not given to you from the start.

We are introduced to Fetch after she has already had time to develop some of her powers, unlike Delsin or Cole with whom we were there with them from the very beginning. It'd make sense as well, given her background, that light speed would've been the first, and most useful, tool in her kit.

I agree that the lack of a real navi system here was kind of a letdown, but I think SP tried to compensate by introducing though neon gas boosts; once I got my timing down in terms of dash -> gas boost -> jump -> air dash -> repeat, I didn't really care how far an objective was away from me since I'd get there lickety pronto.

However, given the speed of Fetch and the fact that there really isn't any resistance to your movements (no heavy DUP presence and police are near non-existent), I think makes the story portion of First Light feel shorter than it needed to be. Not that I think they should have added things to artificially extend its length, but the pace of it from A to B felt super quick.

I know they said if you own Second Son you get exclusive content. Can anyone tell me what it is?

If you own SS you gain access to Delsin in the arena for challenges where you can use all of his powers. Ironically, I find him harder to get a good rhythm going with in terms of dealing with waves of enemies whereas with Fetch I'm hitting top speed from the start.

Grisby

It makes the game so very mindless and braindead. Your next objective at the opposite side of the city? Just point in that direction and hold O and wait as Abigail effortlessly dashes over every vertical and horizontal surface, no thought required.

I remember when the inFamous series used to have a navigation aspect to the gameplay.
It's the same way with Delsin in Second Son. They kind of negated the climbing entirely in both games.

I miss it and I kind of don't. The neon dash is awesome and makes running around the world fun. However, I miss the giant structures of the ps3 games and yeah, there was some sort of navigational aspect to it.

(Can't even climb all the way up to the needle, what's up with that?)

We are introduced to Fetch after she has already had time to develop some of her powers, unlike Delsin or Cole with whom we were there with them from the very beginning. It'd make sense as well, given her background, that light speed would've been the first, and most useful, tool in her kit.

I agree that the lack of a real navi system here was kind of a letdown, but I think SP tried to compensate by introducing though neon gas boosts; once I got my timing down in terms of dash -> gas boost -> jump -> air dash -> repeat, I didn't really care how far an objective was away from me since I'd get there lickety pronto.

However, given the speed of Fetch and the fact that there really isn't any resistance to your movements (no heavy DUP presence and police are near non-existent), I think makes the story portion of First Light feel shorter than it needed to be. Not that I think they should have added things to artificially extend its length, but the pace of it from A to B felt super quick.

If you own SS you gain access to Delsin in the arena for challenges where you can use all of his powers. Ironically, I find him harder to get a good rhythm going with in terms of dealing with waves of enemies whereas with Fetch I'm hitting top speed from the start.

Thanks. I'm going to get Second Son soon but I want to check out First Light, uhh...first. Just wanted to know if the exclusive content was worth putting the game off until Second Son.

(Can't even climb all the way up to the needle, what's up with that?)

Technically, neither can Delsin. You only are able to by glitching your way up there with
Concrete

However given that the DUP haven't set up shop in Seattle yet, it would have been nice to be able to go up to the top of the needle, even if it were only by standing in front one of the trams and "Press square to ride to top" sort of thing.

Technically, neither can Delsin. You only are able to by glitching your way up there with
Concrete

However given that the DUP haven't set up shop in Seattle yet, it would have been nice to be able to go up to the top of the needle, even if it were only by standing in front one of the trams and "Press square to ride to top" sort of thing.

Pretty sure they're contract with the city of Seattle says you can't jump off the needle, so they had to limit it. Stupid, but not sucker puches' fault.

Grisby

Concrete

I know you can't with Delsin although I figured you could glitch up there.
Pretty sure they're contract with the city of Seattle says you can't jump off the needle, so they had to limit it. Stupid, but not sucker puches' fault.
Yeah, not SP fault but still dumb. All the more reason they should have made up a city.

That actually would make sense. Cities, like companies, can be extremely sensitive in the way in which their branding is handled and the Space Needle is the defining icon of that city so it makes sense that they wouldn't want it destroyed or-- as silly as it may seem-- have a "no chute base-jumping simulator" in a game featuring the SN.

I got some shots that I need to get around to actually posting here...

Finished story mode. It's frustrating that they created a fairly compelling character like Fetch and didn't find anything interesting to actually do with her, even in a standalone expansion centered around her. Hope they get some stronger writing in whatever they do next.

I definitely agree with you there. I thought the writing was pretty weak, since we had all this potential for building on her relationship with her brother...and then it turns out he's
off-screen for 99% of the story and literally only appears again to get killed. And like in Second Son, we're not shown WHY she loves her brother, we're only told that. Pretty disappointing that they chose to avoid actually telling her story, in a DLC about her story...

Thanks. I'm going to get Second Son soon but I want to check out First Light, uhh...first. Just wanted to know if the exclusive content was worth putting the game off until Second Son.

Well, for perspective I really had no desire to play as Delsin, and I actually got every trophy playing just as Fetch the entire time.

Apt101

Finally getting the chance to get into this, and boy do I find the lumen races boring and frustrating. Is there another way to gain skill points, or some skills I can build other ways to go faster? Or just a cheat of some kind to collect them all?

timnich

Is there something wrong with how the game tracks its stats for the challenges? I'll kill a bunch airborne enemy's while in the air, but the stats show I didn't kill a single one. Same with the Super Bolt one. I'll absorb the blue shard and lay waste to a whole group of enemies with it, but the stupid challenge will show that I only killed one. Makes it super challenging to get the trophy for completing all challenges, I don't even want to try and get it anymore.

Finally getting the chance to get into this, and boy do I find the lumen races boring and frustrating. Is there another way to gain skill points, or some skills I can build other ways to go faster? Or just a cheat of some kind to collect them all?

Boring I could see, but frustrating? Are you not catching up to them in time and they are flying away? That only happened to me once and then on my third try I easily caught up to it. All the other ones I caught on the first go. For me, I don't even look at anything but the lumen. It will track through the gas boosts- and obviously away from other obstacles-- anyway so there's no need to focus on where they are. Hold down the dash button and just keep your eyes on the fatty flying away.

aaronwt

I just finished playing the story of this a few minutes ago. It was enjoyable. I thought it was well worth the $15. I had rented Second Son and played it for several hours and enjoyed it which is why I bought First Light. I still plan to get Second Son but after the price has dropped to $30 or $40. Plus there are too many other games coming out over the next few months I want to play.

ascii42

Boring I could see, but frustrating? Are you not catching up to them in time and they are flying away? That only happened to me once and then on my third try I easily caught up to it. All the other ones I caught on the first go. For me, I don't even look at anything but the lumen. It will track through the gas boosts- and obviously away from other obstacles-- anyway so there's no need to focus on where they are. Hold down the dash button and just keep your eyes on the fatty flying away.
There was one I had serious trouble with. It started in a playground or something. Then it went through a building that had a support dividing the opening. I don't know how many times I wound up turning into the support and running up the building.

There are hardly any. I believe you can complete them all in about 10-20 mins and be done with it.

There was one I had serious trouble with. It started in a playground or something. Then it went through a building that had a support dividing the opening. I don't know how many times I wound up turning into the support and running up the building.

Yup, the one that starts in the playground is the one I had to do a few times. It was the third or fourth one I did and where I learned to just zero in on the lumen and nothing else and I was able top snag it with ease. But there first few times it always made it to the elevated rail and flew off because I just kept running into buildings or missing a turn.

Apt101

I got the hang of it. It had just been a while since I played I:SS and was clumsy. The speed enhancing skills also helped.

Really enjoying it, I wish they would keep pumping out sequels now. I love the look and feel of this Seattle they've created. I smile every time the game loads and I get to run around again.

dock

Finished the game. Seemed much longer than people said it would be, perhaps I did more side missions.

I've got zero interest in doing more arena stuff, however, so I'm done.
No intentions of buying Second Son either.

Anyone have any idea where I can find a retailer in Europe selling the hardcopy that will ship over to US?

infamous-first-light-chinese-english-sub-375415.2.jpg

Play-Asia has the Chinese Version which also has English Voice/Text

They'll be also stocking the UK version shortly, but I'm just gonna go with the Asia version anyway at it's like $29 shipped right now :)
Otherwise, if you really want the PEGI one, they have some on eBay right now averaging for about $30-35

Anyone have any idea where I can find a retailer in Europe selling the hardcopy that will ship over to US?
I ordered mine from Amazon.co.uk, and it shipped today. I've been importing stuff from Amazon's UK site without a hitch for quite a while and would definitely recommend it.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Finished it tonight. Still got a few trophies/challenged to complete but in no hurry.

DLC was great. Story was good, but missions were very samey- not enough set pieces. Just loved bumming about the city being a jerk and doing the side missions though, good stuff.

i-Lo

Question:

When you look at Fetch's face outside cutscenes, is her facial animation afflicted with the same issue of 'popping' from expression to expression that plagued Delsin's (don't know if it's fixed now) instead blending?

Kosma

Banned
So if you've never played SS, would you recommend buying First Light first?

I'm not huge on open world games and I heard this one is more focussed.

So if you've never played SS, would you recommend buying First Light first?

I'm not huge on open world games and I heard this one is more focussed.

No, I'd recommend you play SS first. It eases you into the sandbox things with a linear area at the beginning and explains the gameplay better.

Paganmoon

I usually hate battlearenas (didn't like the DLC for Borderlands for instance), but holy shit, this was so much fun. I want a new inFamous yearly, with a stand alone DLC 6 months after, do it Sucker Punch!

wilflare

running this game on Unlimited framerate is amazing! definitely feels better than 30fps locked.

the graphics don't feel as amazing as inFamous SS to me. as in its like the wow effect wore off! would be nice to have more AF... maybe cause I was playing it late into the night and my eyes got tired.

the particle effects are definitely improved. it's the textures and AA.

edit - the DUP fetch costume still shows the preorder countdown for me. what to do?

Well that's the last time I'm clicking on an IGN link. That guy is beyond terrible.

Greg is actually a pretty great dude. He comes across as super obnoxious and loud at first (he is) but if you get to know him through his content he's actually very genuine and entertaining.

Just got the Plat earlier today, thought i'd mess around in the photo mode and got some solid results.

ivFN66E.jpg

The DUP costume for Fetch is hot, it reminds me of Jean Grey somehow.

Skux

I agree, in 1 and 2 there was some strategy in how you approached traversal. Grinding a power line, jumping off it on the upward slope and then landing on the next one on the downslope was super satisfying when you nailed it - a lot like Tiny Wings.

I've started this, the platinum seems pretty straight forward. Best to do the arenas at the end when you're fully powered up.

Wow, i really enjoyed this. They should make the arena co-op.

I would totally take a Eugene spin off. Just imagine turning into a giant demon for a nova bomb, and endless flight.

Just completed the storyline. Never trust dudes named Shane. :p

Don't really feel like bothering with completing challenges or doing Arena stuff to get all the upgrades. Overall, it was an enjoyable game

RedAssedApe

Banned
yay for ps+

just played the intro. neo goodness. iq still look so good compared to even some more recent games.

if i've using headset with 5.1 virtual surround should I be using the headphones or home theater setting? i also see a specific sony gold wireless setting. are those bad for headphones/headsets that aren't the gold?

I thought I was gonna play through the story last night, but once the world opened up with the neon boosts I just found myself collecting all of the lumens.... I think I collected 55? Not many left

Fetch (w/ speed boosts) is so much more enjoyable to control than Delsin. It's not even close. Figuring out jumps to reach collectables feels like I'm playing an action sports game or something. Thank you based PS Plus

DavidDesu

Well, I stayed away from Infamous Second Son, in spite of the fact it looked kinda fun and graphically is stunning, I never felt it was for me. Partly because I got one of the Infamous games via PS+ on the PS3 and I absolutely detested it and played all of about 10 minutes (felt like really archaic game design, horrible controls and a complete lack of atmosphere in the world). Now don't burn me about that, please... :p

I just played First Light thanks to PlayStation+ and I'm a convert! Game looks amazing, it truly does. I've locked at 30fps. It looked kinda nice with the unlocked when it hit nearer 60fps but the stuttering was incredibly obvious. Rock solid 30 is just a nicer experience all round). The controls are so nice, aiming is good and that's something I'm now paranoid about after the GTAV fps deadzone debacle. The game plays really well, the different moves and ways of traversal are very clear and simple to implement and wall running, hovering and climbing just work near flawlessly. It's a very polished experience overall.

Did I say graphically it's stunning??? To think this is the very first go at a PS4 graphics engine, for the launch of the system, and it looks this good. God knows what we're going to see in 3-5 years from now. Jesus. Something that seems to get lost in the resolution and frame rate arguments is just how much better games are starting to look. The generational difference is there, even if we're partially blinded to it as it initially seems like more of a refinement over the past gen. Truth be told though and it's the small details, layered one over the other and adding real depth and realism to some of these games now that really makes all the difference. Driveclub would be another example. Sure it's 30fps but it's a rock solid 30fps and the game looks fine. The environmental details are staggering and things like lighting and weather just add so much more to the image and feel over anything that could have been possible last gen. So many people seem so down about the power of these consoles, but seriously, they're pushing stunning graphics already and we've barely begun!

Number45

Is there any benefit to playing on the harder difficulty? When I play through the main games I tend to play good/normal then evil/hard, but there doesn't seem to be much benefit to the higher difficulty here.

Is there any benefit to playing on the harder difficulty? When I play through the main games I tend to play good/normal then evil/hard, but there doesn't seem to be much benefit to the higher difficulty here.

There's no trophy for playing on expert, if that's what you mean.

Top Bottom